The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

It'll be an amusement hall

Merman, is this speculation or fact-based? Amusement hall (arcade?) could be pretty cool based on some of the Mocs I've seen...

I'm surprised that there hasn't been a Modular Police Station, unless we're about to get a corner police station?

Fire, Police and, to a lesser extent, Hospital all seem to be enduring themes for Lego. As I don't have the Fire Brigade, I hope to be able to eventually at least add a police station.

If it were to be a police station, get ready for the "story" to feature a jailbreak with breakaway wall. Look for a crowbar and a coffee maker as well.

I'd be okay with that!

Although, I don't really understand the need for a "story" for the Modulars which (to my understanding) are clearly aimed at adult fans.

(to my understanding) are clearly aimed at adult fans.

I'd say that changed for sure with the DO. Adults can't even fit their hands in the barber shop.

Merman, is this speculation or fact-based? Amusement hall (arcade?) could be pretty cool based on some of the Mocs I've seen...

Yes arcade. So I heard from a reliable source...

Interesting....

If it is to be an arcade, the questions would then be:

What style of architecture is the structure?

What will be above the arcade/first level?

Will there be brick built letters to spell "arcade" or perhaps "games" ?

Will this be a corner structure as everyone expects?

Very interesting....I could see the designers having fun with that, lots of potential "play value" with games inside (like it or not...), kind of ties to recent creator expert carnival sets too and could see variation on Kwik-e-Mart games included. Great questions AFOLguy1970, could be a unique corner building like the Flynns arcade someone posted here a while back ( Flynn's Arcade)? Would be nice if second floor could be partial/mezzanine size or old game storage only to preserve more bricks for exterior...

Edited by PastVPresent

Very interesting....I could see the designers having fun with that, lots of potential "play value" with games inside (like it or not...), ... could be a unique corner building like the Flynns arcade someone posted here a while back (https://flic.kr/p/qH7s8u)?

I also immediately thought of Flynn's Arcade from Tron. An arcade would certainly be more fun than a police station or museum. I'm just afraid is that it is going to be heavy on the stickers. Lego Dimensions has a licensing deal with Midway so maybe some of that will bleed over and we'll see real arcade machines like Joust and Robotron. That kind of set would definitely look awesome with i-Brix lighting!

I'd say that changed for sure with the DO. Adults can't even fit their hands in the barber shop.

Yes it's rather cramped.

I've only just turned my attention to modulars actually, and so I have a lot of other Lego interests, so I'm not so bothered about what comes next as long as whatever it is is executed well. Along with the lack of maneuvering room in the DO in places I wasn't keen on how they had the stairs create a big hole in Al's and how along the side of the brown alley building there was a height of about 2 bricks missing from completing the Highlander's wall. I didn't think the story worked well either in the set to be honest, there wasn't even a door to separate the illegal kitchen from the stairs up to it and the whole smuggling route made no sense seeing as they'd have to move the barrels past the Detectives door anyways to get them down...

Hopefully the next one will be more like the Parisian restaurant- complete on the inside and outside, and as far as I'm concerned, not demanding any immediate attention for mods to be made.

If it is an arcade, I'd hope that we would get plenty of coin pieces (although printed 1x1 round tiles, like those in Friends, would also be good. I just don't want blank 1x1 round tiles).

Merman, can you share a bit more about what you've heard from your source?

No, I said too much already and I simply don't have more info and I begin to doubt him/her since an amusement hall would involve a lot of stickers and the Modular series only has one set with stickers. Making prints would be too expensive. Maybe I misunderstood the meaning of the concept amusement hall.

Edited by merman

I can't see to get "quotes" to work, but I agree with BirdOPrey5 and Mutant Orc.

I thought that it was just me who was having trouble accessing the lower floors of the Detective's Office, especially the barber. Every time I try to re-arrange the mini figures in the barber, I end up breaking something.

And I also didn't understand the "story". The kitchen was open to the public for anyone to use! I just ignore the story and pretend that the toilet and kitchen are part of the detective's lease and that he lives in his office because he's a terrible detective who secretly wants to pursue his passion for baking.

Personally, I was hoping for a police station, bank, library, museum, medical centre, pharmacy or townhouses/apartments, but I'm open to the idea of an arcade. It will make my Modular street feel more like Beach City (from Steven Universe).

I also immediately thought of Flynn's Arcade from Tron. An arcade would certainly be more fun than a police station or museum.

Flynn's was the first place that popped into my head, too. The architecture fits, so here's to hoping.

Edited by Colossus

If it were to be a police station, get ready for the "story" to feature a jailbreak with breakaway wall. Look for a crowbar and a coffee maker as well.

But what there won't be is a single gun. :grin:

Yeah I had a lot of trouble fitting my hand through the barber shop. My hands were too big to properly place in the sink and all of the other tiny objects. I hope the next modular is wider for hands and more adult build friendly.

Hm, not too excited if this arcade rumor should have substance to it.

With the recent trend, I'm somehow expecting a one storey building with a faux second floor facade, with a ton of pieces used inside for the arcade, and the exterior walls built solely from 1x1s, 1x2s and 1x3s to cheat past the 2000 pieces mark.

And even apart from that, an arcade in general is a concept that holds no interest at all for me - Lego or real-life...

Hoping for something else here.

Btw: In german, "Amüsierbetrieb" (amusement business) is a word used for nightclubs, often used derogatively and even applied to brothels.

Btw: In german, "Amüsierbetrieb" (amusement business) is a word used for nightclubs, often used derogatively and even applied to brothels.

You just jinxed yourself. You just semi-suggested a mod that will make this the most popular set ever. :)

Edited by badbob001

Hopefully not too off topic, but for those of us who like modulars for their scale and architectural detail, it looks like a surprising theme just put out the year's best set! http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=111819

Never bought a Ninjago set, I mostly collect Modulars, Star Wars and cool movie stuff, but this set is awesome! Might turn it into 1 big modular building...

Arcade / Amusement Hall as a corner bldg would be a cool idea! Still holding out hope for a Police Station or Bank.

I hope it's not a police station, I already built a modular police station. I think a bank would be okay. The arcade sounds fine so long as it's also other stuff such as residential on the upper floors.

I was really hoping for a more typical building like a bank, police precinct, post office, hospital, school etc. I was hoping that some of the newer civilian torsos from The Lego Movie would influence a structure. Some examples: For a hospital: Dr. McScrubs from The Flying Flusher or for an Ice Cream Store Ice Cream Mike & Ice Cream Jo from the Ice Cream Machine. Perhaps even a Post Office using the new Postman torso from Ninjago Temple of Airjizu. Yep, I know torsos hardly influence a modular building type, but I was really hoping for a more common building type vs. an arcade no matter how cool it might be… I think this message board is filled with similar wishes.

I dont think we'll ever see a police station.

TLG always has a city police station for sale. It's one of their highest sellers. Having a modular one for sale with the normal city one will be bad for business.