The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

It is dissapointing to here that another modular has been rejected.

But is it because it might be too similar to a future Lego modular release???? Or is that just wishfull thinking!

Simply a large modular is out of Lego Ideas price bracket, even many of my designs might be considered too big but at least we give Lego our ideas since sometimes they seem well that they have brick-builders-block ! :laugh:

I think to win one of those in that class, you gotta be right in the sweet spot with the piece count with 1500-1700 pieces. No more then 2000. I also think enough people need to answer that people will buy more then one of said set and so forth.

Edited by Alucard1977

I really hope the plans show up for sale. I for one would brick link the parts to build.

It is dissapointing to here that another modular has been rejected.

But is it because it might be too similar to a future Lego modular release???? Or is that just wishfull thinking!

I'd say the same thing happened with the S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier and probably a few others. Not to go there, but what a way to save themselves from having to pay a commission to a fan designer, than to have someone on the payroll design one themselves.

I'd say the same thing happened with the S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier and probably a few others. Not to go there, but what a way to save themselves from having to pay a commission to a fan designer, than to have someone on the payroll design one themselves.

Please don't go there. That massive overblown LDD Helicarrier project was put up a few months back. It takes 2 full years to bring a large licensed set such as the UCS Helicarrier to market. Both the Helicarrier and the Tumbler would have been in production long before the 10k Ideas projects were ever posted. Both are core subjects of the pre -existing licenses. This means they were already on the licensing groups "to do list". This is a large part of why they say that Pre-Existing Licenses will have additional complications that make them more likely to not pass at review.

As Faefrost said, the LEGO Ideas Helicarrier was posted on May 10, 2014, and The LEGO Helicarrier was released on March 1st, 2015. I takes more than 10 months to design a set like that one.

About the Modulars, 4 amazing modulars are "trending this week", showing how popular they are.

Sadly, at this point it's pretty safe to assume none of them will pass the review

About the Modulars, 4 amazing modulars are "trending this week", showing how popular they are.

Sadly, at this point it's pretty safe to assume none of them will pass the review

To me this seems obvious. A modular building is not a new idea to LEGO, so unless the design has something extremely novel they have never considered, why should it pass the review? The whole point of Ideas is to get new suggestions, not stuff that mimics what the LEGO designers have already produced. If LEGO thought two modular sets a year would sell well they could already do that, so any proposed LEGO idea is likely to compete with the official modular set in a way they are already choosing not to take up.

I agree that a modular passing review is unlikely.

I just think if some one stays in the boundaries of a modular building LEGO does, it will get made. You cannot expect to make a 3000 or 4000 piece set and have LEGO sell it. It just doesn't make financial business sense to do that. Build something original, have some unique new build technique, throw in some new architectural components and keep the set under 1600 pieces, and you will have a shot at getting made.

Edited by Alucard1977

Not sure if this is relevant or in the right area but unless I overlooked it I didn't see the Parisian restaurant in the new catalog. Common practice or is there something happening to it?

There are a lot of new minifig torsos that came out with the LEGO Junior sets this year. Hopefully we see some of them incorporated into the new 2016 Creator Modular like we have seen the new torsos in the 2015 Creator Ferris Wheel. I really, really wish LEGO would give us some teaser on the 2016 Modular set!

Not sure if this is relevant or in the right area but unless I overlooked it I didn't see the Parisian restaurant in the new catalog. Common practice or is there something happening to it?

Only the U.S. version, it is featured in the UK one (though the Pet Shop isn't!).

I just think if some one stays in the boundaries of a modular building LEGO does, it will get made. You cannot expect to make a 3000 or 4000 piece set and have LEGO sell it. It just doesn't make financial business sense to do that. Build something original, have some unique new build technique, throw in some new architectural components and keep the set under 1600 pieces, and you will have a shot at getting made.

My Lego Police modular should succeed assuming I get enough votes. (Currently sitting at 942 votes) I designed it specifically to be in range both in part count and design. You are right. The museum and some other modular projects are too large. The only drawback is what TLG has in the pipeline as the next modular.

Well, I can buy Grand Emporium for 299 euro's (around the same in US dollars) at a Dutch webshop and Pet Shop/Palace Cinema for the normal retail price.

Grand Emporium is pricey, but since it a retired set 299 euro's is a bargain. And since it's the one that sparked my interest in Lego again and to come slowly out of my dark ages,....

But on the other hand I fear Pet Shop and Palace Cinema are going to be retired soon, and since they are at normal price right now...

Edited by Fabulandlover

Well, I can buy Grand Emporium for 299 euro's (around the same in US dollars) at a Dutch webshop and Pet Shop/Palace Cinema for the normal retail price.

Grand Emporium is pricey, but since it a retired set 299 euro's is a bargain. And since it's the one that sparked my interest in Lego again and to come slowly out of my dark ages,....

But on the other hand I fear Pet Shop and Palace Cinema are going to be retired soon, and since they are at normal price right now...

~300€ seems to be the current rate GG is going for, wouldn't call that a bargain. I'd watch Ebay/amazon marketplace closely, sometimes you can find it for significantly less money (250-270€). If you're ok wth getting a used set, you may get even luckier.

In any case, if I was you I'd get PS asap, as it's heavily rumored that what's currently being sold is the last batch.

When the fire brigade went out of production I found a copy from Kijiji for about $300 CAD. They definitely get more expensive as time go by :(

I have bought the Grand Emporium, and Pet Shop will be next. But I have to wait till next month. Do you guys reckon it will still be available then?

I have bought the Grand Emporium, and Pet Shop will be next. But I have to wait till next month. Do you guys reckon it will still be available then?

I see you're from Belgium, so don't forget to check the stock of the Lego store in Wijnegem (Antwerp) as well by then. I found a couple of exo suits

there 'mid craze' when they weren't available online anymore.

~300€ seems to be the current rate GG is going for, wouldn't call that a bargain. I'd watch Ebay/amazon marketplace closely, sometimes you can find it for significantly less money (250-270€). If you're ok wth getting a used set, you may get even luckier.

In any case, if I was you I'd get PS asap, as it's heavily rumored that what's currently being sold is the last batch.

There's a green grocer for 300 euros??? Where? I want it!

Sorry, typo. I meant GE (Grand Emporium)

*goes to a corner and cries

I see you're from Belgium, so don't forget to check the stock of the Lego store in Wijnegem (Antwerp) as well by then.

Also the store in Lille, does have some out of stock items available every now and then.