The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Cafe? Froyo? Shops? What is this, the Friends thread?

Just kidding.

Froyo. Is. Awesome.

But on the topic of classic heads:

I've never really liked the yellow, I prefer fleshie so i dont use a lot of the minifigs anyway. A lot of the torsos have yellow on the so their pretty much useless to me.

I do love the figs but as vassal said, the build is the star. Too many superhero or sometimes SW sets have build features which are "straight in the box" aka I won't display them and then go I a box to be hidden until I need them. Lego is and should be about the building process. Would you buy any of the the superhero sets if they had classic faces?

Anyway, off topic.

I think it's too soon for a corner modular, but who knows. There are endless possibilities. Not literally.

If you start making the minifig faces really detailed, then why stop there? Why not make the figs more life-like overall; some kind of realistic looking minidolls? I prefer the abstract look of the classic minifigs with classic expressionless faces - they are simply symbolizing real people, not trying to be. You can draw a clear line there, but as soon as you start adding more details, there is basically no limit for where to stop.

The fact that we are getting out of topic right now is a clear indication that we haven't had any exciting modular news in quite a while. :)

I've been thinking that for future modulars a bakery would be a nice commercial modular. As a corner building maybe a bank would be fitting. I'm really looking forward to the rumors of next years modular starts to roll in.

...snip

But on the topic of classic heads:

I've never really liked the yellow, I prefer fleshie so i dont use a lot of the minifigs anyway. A lot of the torsos have yellow on the so their pretty much useless to me.

I am also a fan of the classic yellow minifig heads. But I do like grey for zombies, black for Storm Troopers (because it looks good through the eye holes), but for most figs, yellow.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

As any modular set builder will know, some part choices are mainly to limit the number of different parts required for the set. For example, the use of many 1x2 plates of a particular color instead of a mixture of longer plates. At first this seems like a scam to inflate the part count, but it mainly has to do with keeping the set within some sort of predefined budget. It would be cool to learn LEGO's magic formula for calculating the cost of their products.

I think having the same head for all minifigures allows for more part types in other areas of the design.

Edited by badbob001

So guys, not to change the topic, but what if we got an inverted corner? rather than fold out it would fold in.

Edited by Razi

I don't think that's as likely--it would be hard to make something visually striking as a standalone building that way (at least with the current size constraints). Plus, they're not really all that common--at least not in the cities I've lived in.

Edited by Mariko

So guys, not to change the topic, but what if we got an inverted corner? rather than fold out it would fold in.

Unlikely because the lack of frontage, but here's two links

First, a discussion on the subject and an image of a good looking inverted corner for the Grand Emporium

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=74134&hl=%22inside+corner%22

And second, the BEST CHINESE RESTAURANT EVER! And it's also an inverted corner!

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=90594

(it's also what kickstarted my obsession with building a Chinatown district, so thanks Hobbython for that)

I think it's too soon for a corner modular, but who knows. There are endless possibilities. Not literally.

The only discernible predictable pattern to date with the Modulars is "corner - straight - straight -repeat"

Cafe Corner - Green Grocer - Fire Brigade

Grand Emporium - Town Hall - Pet Shop

Palace Cinema - Parisian Restaurant - Detectives Office

(Next)

If they follow their pattern they should be starting on the 4th leg of the full city block.

Faefrost has a point. Also, it would screw up the pattern of modulars to not have a corner.

I was building an inside corner Cafe Corner MOD. It actually looked really nice, but to achieve the inside corner, it ended up needing more baseplate than my shelves could hold (it would have hung off the edge) so I decided against it. Otherwise I would have one built right now. But with that said, in order to have any interior whatsoever, it needed more baseplate to build on. The official sets aren't going to include more baseplates unless they upcharged the set on top of it. I think my footprint was 48x48, but only used the back L shaped corner with the front being exposed (I used traditional 32x32 + 16x32 in one orientation, then another 32x32 + 16x32 on the other side to create the L).

Edit: Looking at that Chinese restaurant, it does look very possible to do an inverted corner, if they considered something similar to that. I hadn't thought about having it come that far forward for the sidewalk for some reason to allow extra walking space. I think my CC MOD was going to be too thin on the back area if I didn't do it the way I originally was.

Edited by TheLegoDr

It would look nice as a stand alone but then as a group it would screw up the pattern

So if Lego keep the pattern going, what would make it as a corner building ?

Perhaps another store ?

One with more and better interior than the GE ?

So, instead of the 32 wide modular every 12 months. How would people feel about a 16 wide modular every 6 months?

So, instead of the 32 wide modular every 12 months. How would people feel about a 16 wide modular every 6 months?

I would like it, the PS is my favorite modular.

Perhaps, if it is feasibly possible, for an inverted corner, a shopping arcade that goes diagonally from the inside corner to the outside corner? It could in theory be reversible allowing for both types of corner

I modded my PS brown building to an inside corner, though to have any of the front features displayed I offset the baseplates so they aren't lined up any more.

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=76794&hl=

I don't think TLG will ever do an inside corner, not enough space at the front to do any of the detailing that they like to do. There would be plenty of room at the back to join up alleyways, but not as much care has been taken with the backs as opposed to the fronts to standardise the sets. And as most people just line their modulars up for display, people won't normally see the backs any way.

Given the time resources that goes into making a modular I dont think that the lego designers would have the necessary time available to devote to a 16 wide modular every 6 months. It could also lead to less effort being put into a 32 wide modular due to time constraints. In addition to this i think having too many modulars on the sale shelf at any one time could also lead to people getting tired of the modular buildings.