The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Whatever the next one is, I hope they keep up the split-building approach used on PS and DO. The full-size 32s offer plenty of play room inside, but the smaller 16-wides make for a much more condensed and varied cityscape. And they offer the perception of better value, since you get two buildings instead of one.

It's been a while since we've had a corner set. With Palace Cinema on its way out and GE long gone, I bet the next one will be a corner building of some flavor. I hope they retain a mixed-use approach to the space, even if it's designed as a single structure.

They haven't done any "office" spaces. I can envision an office, with a coffee shop and news stand on the bottom floor. But more likely is something with more "playability"... police station, car dealership/garage, a diner.

With the new monster CMFs coming out later this year... maybe... just maybe... they'll do something with a creepy theme? They've never tried to connect the two before, but it's such a consistent theme this time around it makes me think they have something planned to go with it.

Unfortunately, every modular-worthy candidate that has made it on Ideas has been shot down so far. I don't think LEGO has any intention of cannibalizing an existing product line even if the fan demand is there. Still very disappointed the Ghostbusters HQ wasn't approved!

Edited by rob-cubed

Whatever the next one is, I hope they keep up the split-building approach used on PS and DO. The full-size 32s offer plenty of play room inside, but the smaller 16-wides make for a much more condensed and varied cityscape. And they offer the perception of better value, since you get two buildings instead of one.

It's been a while since we've had a corner set. With Palace Cinema on its way out and GE long gone, I bet the next one will be a corner building of some flavor. I hope they retain a mixed-use approach to the space, even if it's designed as a single structure.

They haven't done any "office" spaces. I can envision an office, with a coffee shop and news stand on the bottom floor. But more likely is something with more "playability"... police station, car dealership/garage, a diner.

With the new monster CMFs coming out later this year... maybe... just maybe... they'll do something with a creepy theme? They've never tried to connect the two before, but it's such a consistent theme this time around it makes me think they have something planned to go with it.

Unfortunately, every modular-worthy candidate that has made it on Ideas has been shot down so far. I don't think LEGO has any intention of cannibalizing an existing product line even if the fan demand is there. Still very disappointed the Ghostbusters HQ wasn't approved!

I imagine an office style building that would appeal to "playability" as you mention would be a newspaper office, with a printing press and loading bay with a truck or paper boys on the ground floor, newsroom above that, and the editor's office/boardroom on the top floor.

I did not think the Ghostbusters HQ had a good chance, because it might have appealed to too narrow of an audience. We have also already had a Fire Brigade, therefore some modular collectors might have seen this as redundant. Having Ecto-1 and the four ghostbusters with the building would probably have helped, but they made these separately. If they had elected to make it, imagine having it come out right as Ecto-1 sells out, not good.

The Natural History museum is a good Ideas candidate because you do not need a license, and it has scientific appeal for many.

As for playability, if Lego insists a modular has to have it, then I agree a printing press might work. A bank could have a blow away wall for the robbers to get through just like all of the City sets, as would a police station. It is hard to have a corner building made from two sections, therefore I imagine this would be one structure. Hopefully, they revert back to more attention to the exterior. I am still on the fence about whether or not to buy the DO. My gut is beginning to tell me this is not something I need to have, especially since some people have proven you have to have two to make it worthwhile.

It's more a personal preference about expanding the DO. I got into modulars late so don't have a lot of the bigger sets and I feel that the DO will fit in with the ones I have. The two blues might bug me a bit more. I'm waiting for double points before buying the DO but yes, I'm not as eager to get it as I was with some of the earlier models.

Has anyone made the GB HQ into a smaller modular? It's on my to-do list.

Edited by DD840

It's more a personal preference about expanding the DO. I got into modulars late so don't have a lot of the bigger sets and I feel that the DO will fit in with the ones I have. The two blues might bug me a bit more.

Totally agreed! DO is a fun set, the pool hall and detective's office have really some nice details. I have all the modulars and honestly the bigger ones almost feel too massive now. I like the fact that LEGO has been moving towards slightly smaller, denser modulars in general. My only complaint on DO is there are too many colors in the build and it's pretty darn hard to get fingers into Al's or the DO proper, unlike PS which had just enough room to move things around easily.

I just read on The Brick Fan that the end is here for PS, no more stock to stores, but can still get it on S@H. Shows a ship by end of March availability. I have one built and one unopened, so thats it for me..

Edited by talos

Yup, it seems we will get a corner now. I wonder what will be TLG's take on it. The PC was the last modular from the "old school" before the interior started to be so detailed that we lost some building size as a result.

Now, what can be a relatively small corner building? Bank, Post office or such does not fit, at least not for me. I see those buildings as somewhat bigger. TLG could also introduce some small town buildings. A store? But we already got GE... Isn't it fun to wait? ;)

A bank, post office, or pharmacy doesn't have to be too large...it could be envisioned as part of a smaller or midsize town or just a branch location. What time of year do we normally get more concrete rumours/intell? (When did we first hear about the DO?)

Edit: I just did a search and it was June. In this thread, at least.

Edited by DD840

I only got back into LEGO about a year ago so I missed quite a few of the modular buildings. I prefer the full (rather than split) modular buildings although I do like them but just not as much as the full one. I am working on a "in the spirit of Green Grocer" modular as there is no way I am paying the going prices of one of them in the resell market and building it from parts is also out of the question. My DO should be arriving in the next couple of days (hold out for the double points), looking forward to build it.

For the next building I would LOVE a corner modular. If not, a police station will be great since we already have a fire station. A school will be nice also. I am working on a MOC hospital.

Out of the latest batch of Lego Ideas sets in review, I really think that the Natural History Museum stands a chance. I think it's biggest competitor will be the Grand Piano.

Out of the latest batch of Lego Ideas sets in review, I really think that the Natural History Museum stands a chance. I think it's biggest competitor will be the Grand Piano.

They could also choose to not produce any of the next batch, not saying they will but could happen

The post office in my (real-life) city is old, cool, very detailed--and two stories. I could see a two-story modular post office working if it looks like mine (search for "downtown Colorado Springs post office).

There's already a grand piano in the Friends Hotel, so they probably don't need another piano.

I am still on the fence about whether or not to buy the DO. My gut is beginning to tell me this is not something I need to have, especially since some people have proven you have to have two to make it worthwhile.

I thought I needed 2 at first, but then I built the one I already have and thought it looked fine on its own. Looks pretty good, actually. It's different, which makes it stand out.

What do people think about the figs. I personally love the classic faces but I'm surprised lego haven't introduced their modern faces with pupils in the eyes and more varied expressions. Or are TLG worried about a backlash from older fans who the modulars are originally aimed at?

I love them, it's a neat throwback to the past, which is when the majority of the modulars appear to be set. It could also be that having more elaborate minifigs would distract from the building which is supposed to the the star.

The PC was the last modular from the "old school"

I consider PC to be the first of the "Gen 2" Modular range.

I also like the classic faces--not only is it a throwback, but it also lets you interpret the characters how you want to (including their sex--although there are curves on some female minifigures, you can interpret some non-curvy minifigs as women, too).

Plus, it takes away a problem in recent years: repetition. There are only so many "normal"-looking faces in circulation; in time, I'm sure that a modular would have to reuse faces (esp. female faces). When every face is simple and the same, it's a stylistic choice to suggest facial features. When you get into more detail, a repeated face can be weird.

I'm not a big fan of the classic faces, I want more bang for my buck. And I'm on the fence with having minifigs in the buildings but I'm also the type of person who doesn't like dolls in dollhouses.

Cafe? Froyo? Shops? What is this, the Friends thread?

Just kidding.

Edited by Colossus

^Friends sets have awesome buildings that can be good subjects for a modular building, though.

I'm indifferent about the classic minifig faces, though more females is always better. The absurd popularity of 21110 is reason enough to make more sets (modular or otherwise) with more female minifigs.

The absurd popularity of 21110 is reason enough to make more sets (modular or otherwise) with more female minifigs.

I don't really think the popularity was based on the rather mediocre minifigs, but rather on the dinosaur and accessories.