The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

I had to look it up but wow I would be hyping up that building so bad if it came to fruition. It exemplifies what I believe to be an ideal modular. The quintessential everyday towns building. Nothing too flashy or fancy but significant in how it represents the era in subtlety. And a records studio? Need.

Originally my favorite idea for a modular was something of that diner from the Nighthawks painting but...

I suppose it could be modified a bit for a broader appeal. But it already has some nice detail. And, a guitar that's one story tall? And the Sun Records logo? Mini figs of the great artists who recorded there? In trying to explain it in words, it's like John Sebastian once said...

'It's like tryin' to tell a stranger about rock n roll.....'

As for the interior, just because I don't give a flip about interiors doesn't mean I think others shouldn't enjoy them and Lego shouldn't include them.

Since we are listing what types of building we want, I guess I would like to see a white streamline moderne corner building with malt shop on the ground floor, curved glass block window at the corner, and heavy use of chrome pieces.

Streamline modern, close cousin of Art Deco, is my favorite. However, I'd be surprised to ever see it in a modular. It would be just soooooooo different. Given the ginger bread detail that many seem to prefer, streamline modern is the antithesis of that. I've done a couple of buildings using basically white and gray I think come close to streamline. PM me with an email address if you want pics of them.

I suppose it could be modified a bit for a broader appeal. But it already has some nice detail. And, a guitar that's one story tall? And the Sun Records logo?

As for the interior, just because I don't give a flip about interiors doesn't mean I think others shouldn't enjoy them and Lego shouldn't include them.

Streamline modern, close cousin of Art Deco, is my favorite. However, I'd be surprised to ever see it in a modular. It would be just soooooooo different.

Any brick mural logos on a modular would be too welcome in my taste for modular design. Again a signature of the era. Nothing too fancy, art through function. Less Disneytown more Main Street everytown. The giant guitar is a bit much for me but I would still keep it as it showcases of the purpose of the building.

I'm not one for interiors. I prefer that piece count be used into making larger structures. The only time I may make a case for minor interiors is if there is an excess of windows revealing a blank room. But then curtains or shades do the job nicely. Nothing dollhouse-y is necessary though.

However if modulars did represent more of a Art Deco style, I may reverse my opinion on not wanting elaborate interiors. I've seen too many lobbies that fascinated me with that direction. What opulence in fashion. Perfect for a bank.

Speaking of banks, I saw a MOC modular bank through a general Google image search that seemed to capture the spirit of streamline moderne. I approve greatly.

Edited by Moebius118

I'm not one for interiors. I prefer that piece count be used into making larger structures. The only time I may make a case for minor interiors is if there is an excess of windows revealing a blank room. But then curtains or shades do the job nicely. Nothing dollhouse-y is necessary though.

However if modulars did represent more of a Art Deco style, I may reverse my opinion on not wanting elaborate interiors. I've seen too many lobbies that fascinated me with that direction. What opulence in fashion. Perfect for a bank.

I remember going to a rather old dentist in Detroit back in the 60s. This guy must have started his practice sometime in the twenties. It appears as if he was making enough money by the thirties to furnish his office and waiting room with Art Deco and streamline modern furniture, which was still in use some thirty or so years later. The curves. The chrome. Now, that was an 'interior'......

I remember going to a rather old dentist in Detroit back in the 60s. This guy must have started his practice sometime in the twenties. It appears as if he was making enough money by the thirties to furnish his office and waiting room with Art Deco and streamline modern furniture, which was still in use some thirty or so years later. The curves. The chrome. Now, that was an 'interior'......

I guess that would be a reason for TLG to stray away from the style. Probably more brass and chrome than they'd be willing to deal with. No Roaring Twenties for my minifigs. 2020's that is.

Maybe I should think about doing something like that. Not exactly the same, though. Wait. I'm not sure I have enough space for one. :(

I'll try anyway.

@ Robin Lego, that is a perfect way to integrate your park. Looking at the PR I always thought it was necessary to leave an open space next to the staircase and terrace to get that airy and open feel of an outdoor restaurant terrace, rather than hem it in immediately next to another modular, like some promotional materials showed. So great work on that layout! :thumbup:

^That is the best place for a park, nice job, its very colorful. Having the stair and dining terrace of the PR next to it, makes for the best arrangement. Cheers!

On my recent visit to the Store I chatted with the manager, she mentioned Bank, I told her about what we were all saying on the bank and other modular buildings here. She knew about the site from my previous visits and talks with her but she did confirm that TLG is trying to tighten any leaks of info getting out. So unless someone knows someone at TLG it is going to be hard to figure these out in the future.

Aside from the competitor factor I'm not clear as to why they would want to keep things quiet? It is a pleasant surprise to say the least when a modular building is confirmed but other clone brands do not make modular buildings. Leaks although problematic in certain cases I think have the opposite affect when it comes to Lego products. In that it generates more 'buzz' and gets people excited and talking about it.

I agree with you, just yesterday one of my yahoo stories was the Lego calendar for the first quarter of 2015, it was a German link but showed all the sets in the catalog. I would think you would want to drum up press and buzz for your product...if it leaks, it leaks, you could control those leaks as well. I don't know the Dane mindset though, maybe they are just secretive by nature.

Do not worry friends I will be here to generate more buzz for a modular bank than 200 community sites put together can shore up.

Okay maybe not but.

New Years resolution 2015:

1) Generate even more Modular Bank hype.

Do not worry friends I will be here to generate more buzz for a modular bank than 200 community sites put together can shore up.

Okay maybe not but.

New Years resolution 2015:

1) Generate even more Modular Bank hype.

Yes, I've heard the bank design will give the option of building it either as a corner building or a regular design. The second floor will be a loan office and the third floor will be the record keeping area. It will be a pre e-commerce theme.

First I'd like to thank Robin Lego for the garden idea. Below is how my modulars are displayed with a MOC church. I hope you enjoy the video.

Eddie

Hope this works...

Yes, I've heard the bank design will give the option of building it either as a corner building or a regular design. The second floor will be a loan office and the third floor will be the record keeping area. It will be a pre e-commerce theme.

I heard that there will be an area for tellers and a vault. Also the building will be tall enough so that certain bankers may exercise the jump option when the market crashes. Cause you know we kids need our "play features".

Edited by Moebius118

I heard that there will be an area for tellers and a vault. Also the building will be tall enough so that certain bankers may exercise the jump option when the market crashes. Cause you know we kids need our "play features".

A stockbroker launcher? Brilliant. If TLG thinks it is too violent, they could always make a Daily Planet modular and suggest putting it next door. :rofl:

Okay, fine. But where's my story line? Michael Douglas mini fig? Wall Street the movie?

I know the modular line wouldn't incorporate any establishment that would suggest too much of a metropolis but is it too much wishful thinking to hope the bank would take an external appearance of say the NYSE?

New_York_Stock_Exchange_Simon_Fieldhouse.jpg

You can't tell me that doesn't scream modular. Just downsize it a bunch.

Okay, fine. But where's my story line? Michael Douglas mini fig? Wall Street the movie?

This story should require no additional assistance. If accounting can teach you anything it is how to be creative. :grin:

Edited by Moebius118

Earlier this year, I saw an excellent Lego version of the above building. It was simply outstanding. It was huge. The eBay auction price, if I recall correctly, had a $16,000 USD buy it now price. But, it was massive and well detailed. I can't find it in my google search, but someone else might have a picture of it or it may be in an earlier thread.