The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

My second guess is a Bank. I lean against this one just a hair as Banks tend to be single purpose buildings without a lot of interest going on. "Look kids! Accountants!". On the positive they tend to feature a ton of fantastic fake classical style architecture, so a bank building would be an interesting build.

Well, they could easily throw in a bank robbery storyline there.

A garage would be fantastic. Although I think it would work better as a front facing building, not a corner.

An Arcade I would absolutely love, although I think it is a little too late 20th century to be grabbed as part of the regular Modular line. Which seems to mainly fall between 1932 and 1955 or so. But a certain Arcade would make for a near perfect corner modular Ideas project if presented well. "Flynn's Arcade" anyone?

4481991959_4913bdb4d8.jpg

Hmmm? Next Modular? Probably a corner? A lot will depend on designer and who had a great deal of input? My first guess still leans towards a classic Pharmacy (Apothocary? chemist? If you will.) Jamie is from New England, and that does color a lot of his designs and inspiration, and one of the classics in that area is every small town had the corner Drug Store with the soda and ice cream counter. It would also be a great place to put a doctor or dentists office above, thereby adding non scary health care to the city, without the complexity of trying to cram a hospital into 32x32.

My second guess is a Bank. I lean against this one just a hair as Banks tend to be single purpose buildings without a lot of interest going on. "Look kids! Accountants!". On the positive they tend to feature a ton of fantastic fake classical style architecture, so a bank building would be an interesting build.

Either one of these two will be awesome!

i'd love a bank, or a video arcade.

i'd also like another garage door type of modular like the FB... maybe a car dealership.

id prefer not to get a corner building.

An arcade would be pretty cool. What would they do for the other floors then...?

I don't know about a garage, though. That would be weird if they did do one. Ha. Wonder what they would do.

I don't think we'll get another American style modular for the next time. I'm hoping for a victorian style apartment or like the ones in holland/belgium

Dutch Amsterdam style with lots of dark reds, dark browns and tan would be alright.

Dutch Amsterdam style with lots of dark reds, dark browns and tan would be alright.

That sounds surpringly reminiscent of Cafe Corner... Which, together with Market Street, already makes 2 "Amsterdam style" buildings in the modular range. However, being dutch myself... I wouldn't mind some more ;-)

There are so many things they can do! A school or library might be nice.

What would they do with a bank? Oh. They will probably have vaults and the counter.

Something similar.

Lego are bound to release a bank one day, be funny if the next one is a police station to tie in with illegal candy production ? :laugh:

I feel that the larger modulars might be a thing of the past, the first one release seven years ago and didn't tell a story....like a city set does now.

Seven years ago an 18 year old AFOL was still a 11 year KFOL playing with city sets.....which are all role play sets, so now that young AFOL wants or Lego thinks they want a modular that has a role play story behind it like a more complex city set.

Honestly I wouldn't even consider 18 years old AFOLs... I think what is helping LEGO aren't 18 year olds who never stopped by the 30-somethings like myself who used LEGO in the 80's and early 90's and are coming back. 18 year olds just don't have the disposable income yet to be big LEGO buyers.

On the arcade, how far back do pinball games go back? Certainly can't see them do the stand up games like pacman or something like that but since we got a pool hall with DO I am not sure they would do an arcade.

Bank does sound intriguing, especially 30's style, MOC some gangsters and a big vault, Al Capone and all that, the only thing on a bank is the upper floors, you certainly would not have an apartment or a studio up there, maybe just offices, so a cool first floor bank, but the other two floors as offices? Kind of boring there.

Edited by Herky

Proper pinball tables as we'd understand them today are post-WW2, when flippers were introduced.Before then, such games were more like pachinko machines. A bit of a stretch in the modular line, and I'm not sure how someone would make an interesting brick-built minifig-scale pinball table. (Still, I'd be interested to see it!)

There are so many types of establishments that still could be done if they hopefully don't factor in the need for "play" features.

My favorite suggestions so far include:

Bank!!!, drugstore or clinic, arcade, library or bookstore, pizza parlor, malt shop, fish or meat market, post office, bakery or deli, gas station, courthouse, dry cleaner or tailors, workshop or machinist, jeweler or art gallery, travel agency.

I could probably never have enough apartments or offices though.

I'd list utilities and factories as well but those likely would not fit as they are standalone structures.

Bank though... still waiting. Going to build me a modular waiting room for my figs to wait for a bank. Like just a room with chairs in it.

Edited by Moebius118

I'd love to see a boardwalk environment like Coney Island, complete with features like a basic rollercoaster, arcade, fun house, etc. I have the Creator Seaside house, my daughter has the Friends beach house, and it'd be nice to have another set for a beach theme.

Of course, not really an idea for a modular. Just wanted to throw in a suggestion for the wish list since the only new topic, the DO, has its own thread now.

I'd like that. They could introduce some old roman inspired buildings to get that classic european museum feel.

Someone said it......dry cleaner.....I was only looking into 1930's dry cleaner shop fronts this morning. :wink:

Edit - on researching it further, dry cleaner shops were only drop off/pick up shops.......the dry cleaning was done in as a factory process in a huge building, dam I should of remembered that, but we are only human ! :laugh:

On second thought......a haberdasher might be good, for those who don't what one is......in the USA it's a menswear store which I only discovered this morning. :blush: (the internet can be handy at times :laugh: )

Edited by lightningtiger

I'd love to see a boardwalk environment like Coney Island, complete with features like a basic rollercoaster, arcade, fun house, etc. I have the Creator Seaside house, my daughter has the Friends beach house, and it'd be nice to have another set for a beach theme.

Of course, not really an idea for a modular. Just wanted to throw in a suggestion for the wish list since the only new topic, the DO, has its own thread now.

I think we will be slowly getting that in the Creative Expert line. Just not as Modulars. We just got the Carnival Mixer and rumor is next up is a Ferris Wheel.

An arcade would be pretty cool. What would they do for the other floors then...?

I don't know about a garage, though. That would be weird if they did do one. Ha. Wonder what they would do.

Well if someone was to do up a"Flynn's" it is surprisingly well documented. Arcade on the ground floor. Kevin Flynn's mangy apartment above and looking down on the Arcade. Back room/basement with the "zap people into the grid" machine (in "Tron Legacy") etc.

Sorry if OT but I have a self diagnosed case of OCD. I don't like the Palace Cinema at all. I do however love the PR and will be picking up the new Detective Agency when it becomes available. But since it's available it's almost as if I have to have it because it's part of the line. Should I get it? Do you guys/girls buy all modulars or just the ones that you like?

It's interesting to see that pre-PR one of could think it's modern era thanks to a computer in the TH and a movie poster showing a modern high speed train.

But the PR could fit anytime and now the DO is totally set 80 or so years ago.