The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Mapimi, I think they are close. Currently it is 1 US Dollar equals 1.16 Australian Dollar.

However, the retail price is not just an exchange rate difference. LEGO determines what to sell their product for independently for each country. From what I read here, based on the size of the US market and also what US consumers are willing to spend, the supply / demand curve prices LEGO cheaper for the US than most other places.

This pricing difference between countries has been discussed to death multiple times over...I thought it was finalized how different pricing is per country based on many factors. It looks like Blakstone definitely understands it. I would say continue to contact LEGO with your concerns if it is so bothersome. Talking about it on here isn't changing anything.

With that said, I am of the same mindset as Off the wall. I am curious as to how much each step in production adds to the cost. Obviously this is an internal question that LEGO won't release, but it would be interesting to see the results. It would reflect how each level of sets can be priced, when a lot of other factors seem off.

This pricing difference between countries has been discussed to death multiple times over...I thought it was finalized how different pricing is per country based on many factors. It looks like Blakstone definitely understands it. I would say continue to contact LEGO with your concerns if it is so bothersome. Talking about it on here isn't changing anything.

With that said, I am of the same mindset as Off the wall. I am curious as to how much each step in production adds to the cost. Obviously this is an internal question that LEGO won't release, but it would be interesting to see the results. It would reflect how each level of sets can be priced, when a lot of other factors seem off.

Thanks, man, for understanding what I'm asking even though I think we both know there will probably never be an answer.

In my experience about 50% of the product price to distribution (what the toy stores pay) will be direct materials and production costs. The other 50% will be those back end costs including manpower. Given Lego's success I would guess they probably have what averages out to somewhere around a 12 point margin tacked on as well. The price to retail will then double as the distributor takes the producer cost and then adds their transport, back end, retail costs etc. so the actual materials cost of the physical product is probably around 25% of the typical retail pricing. Now this is not unique for Lego. This is just a common rule of thumb, and you will see wide variances in this.

Also keep in mind that this will depend on how you define some of those back end costs? How is manpower spilt up, etc? But as a general rule, for something like Lego the back end costs probably for the most part scale with the size of the set. A larger set has more packaging, requires more handling in assembly, more designer hours, etc. the only exceptions will be the obvious outliers the smallest and largest type sets where you bump into some fixed minimum and maximum costs.

Also please understand this is not saying that the cost of x amount of plastic = 25% of the cost of a set. The plastic pellets are pennies on the dollar. It is the cost of running x amount of plastic through y amount of tooling and machinery, plus a portion of the costs of said machinery, plus the man hours to run it most likely = 25% of the sets retail price. And all of that is what would be bundled into the part cost for each specific element.

But does one dollar US equal one Australian dollar? I'm just curious, not commenting

It's a lot closer to 1 than 9. $1 USD = $1.16 Australian according to Google today.

It's a lot closer to 1 than 9. $1 USD = $1.16 Australian according to Google today.

Yeah, our dollar has dropped....also remember our population is only 23 million vs the population of the USA at 316 million, that's more than 14 times the Lego buyers in theory living in the USA.

Though it can depend on the item or theme the pricing can be very close or even cheaper than the USA but that is very rare indeed.

According to someone on Bricklink, 21st at 10am US time so that makes it.......after 1am tomorrow morning SA time.....living in Oz can be a drawback sometimes ! :laugh:

At least by the time I get up tomorrow morning there be another 5 pages after this post ! :laugh:

According to someone on Bricklink, 21st at 10am US time so that makes it.......after 1am tomorrow morning SA time.....living in Oz can be a drawback sometimes ! :laugh:

At least by the time I get up tomorrow morning there be another 5 pages after this post ! :laugh:

LT, at least you can sleep the time away... i just arrived at work an hour ago....and have to work untill the official release... hm...

This looks awesome! I haven't really picked up any modular buildings before, but this is most definitely gong to be a day one purchase for me. :grin:

Same thing here, this will be my first Modular Building. I like the design, it doesn't look as old fashioned as some of the others. Really a cool set!

Quick question: as a Canadian resident, can I collect VIP points if I buy lego from a US store?

Quick question: as a Canadian resident, can I collect VIP points if I buy lego from a US store?

Yes, you can. I even collected VIP points in a US store while living in Europe. I was on holiday in the US at the time.

Yes, you can. I even collected VIP points in a US store while living in Europe. I was on holiday in the US at the time.

In that case it will be possible to collect VIP points as soon as there is a store opened on th comet 67P/Tsjoerjoemov-Gerasimenko.... :grin:

In that case it will be possible to collect VIP points as soon as there is a store opened on th comet 67P/Tsjoerjoemov-Gerasimenko.... :grin:

If the prizes are higher in Australia due to shipping and less residents, I'm starting to wonder what the DO will cost there. At least lots and lots of VIP points will be collected then. :wink:

it's the 21st of November, mid-day here in Europe, still no announcement from LEGO, are they waiting for everyone to wake up? These are usually posted early morning.

So,,is it today Lego will announce the Modular???

According to some semi-reliable messages from Bricklink forum - we have 1h30m to go.

Yes, but the points do not scale with currency exchange, so some transactions will work out better than others.

So,,is it today Lego will announce the Modular???

Can't find the post few pages back, but word on the street is today is the day. Not sure where that calendar everyone is looking at can be found.

A few pages back we posted that there is an exclusive announcement coming out on Legoshop facebook page on Nov 21, since Slave I took the Oct 6 slot, we think this slot is for the modular, well we hope it is anyway. So Nov 21 is the next day we may likely hear about it.

I guess the designer overslept today for the filming. :classic:

Edited by Sven F