The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

A pool hall next to a parisian restaurant. Great ambiance. Maybe it's one of those hipster pool rooms. You know, leased BMWs and Landrovers parked out back, IPA 'beer' inside......

thanks for the back hi res, very interesting to see, looks like the door in the alley is right there on the left...I think there is no car cause it would be too modern for the modular theme, I was never sure why the PC had a car, but just use that one? Plus if you do a car, the piece count goes up quite a bit and then you are priced out of range maybe

Edited by Herky

One thing this DO is missing, a detective Car.......really cant understand why it was not designed with this Modular!!!????????

Maybe, after the PC limo, the designers decided to forego motor vehicles in modular sets.

Edited by Off the wall

thanks for the back hi res, very interesting to see, looks like the door in the alley is right there on the left...I think there is no car cause it would be too modern for the modular theme, I was never sure why the PC had a car, but just use that one? Plus if you do a car, the piece count goes up quite a bit and then you are priced out of range maybe

Usually the cars from sets go straight to my parts bin.

Just MHO, YMMV

Andy D

One thing this DO is missing, a detective Car.......really cant understand why it was not designed with this Modular!!!????????

I agree. Like some other posters, I'm don't really care for vehicles with my modular sets. But since it appears like they're potentially trying to bring in some kids and other city fans with this set, it is a bit surprising that they aren't including a car.

at least, LEGO must make a small car for the detective/inspector....similar to Emmet's Car :).....

The set indeed looks more of sense of humor and cartoonish, so car is must

The atmosphere's a bit different than the other modulars. I've seen the "comic book" remark a few times.

The atmosphere feels quite a bit different because we're getting a modular with several different businesses inside of it. There isn't a cohesive whole to this set like the others have had. Pet Shop is the closest we have to it, and that was basically a residential modular with a small store in a corner of it. This has 3 businesses co-inhabiting a space that's essentially too small for any of them (except maybe Brickman's). It feels more like urban congestion that's on the outskirts of a city than the urban core.

As for the cartoony aspect of it, I think the colors have something to do with it, but it really comes down to the POOL sign. The angled P and L make and inconsistent scale give it that effect. Remove that sign, or mod it to be more blocky and the cartoon feeling probably goes down quite a bit.

This one's growing on me as I think about the possibilities, but overall, it's underwhelming to me. That said, I can easily see why people like it and I wouldn't be surprised if I changed my mind quite a bit once I build it. However, I think it's the first modular I've looked at and my first thought was to make some changes to it.

I wonder if the detectives car might be the bonus set when the detective agency is released...

Are you guys also counting down 'till Friday?

The Designer Video with all the details and more info on the actual release date (January 1 probably) can not come to soon!

I wonder if the detectives car might be the bonus set when the detective agency is released...

i doubt that....looks like we have to make one :)

Love the pic on the back of the box with what looks to be a guy hiding cookies in a barrel and the detective watching from behind. LOL

...maybe it's one of those hipster pool rooms. You know, leased BMWs and Landrovers parked out back, IPA 'beer' inside......

They'll be no hipsters in my town! But don't diss IPA....

I'm going to have to make a grungier distressed version of this set for it to fit in my town.

IPA beer in rural Missouri. A strong argument in favor of tightening our immigration rules. :-)

By the way, when will we know whether or not the Museum in Lego Ideas is going to make it to the market? Any idea what the approximate date is for a thumbs up or thumbs down?

Maybe, after the PC limo, the designers decided to forego motor vehicles in modular sets.

And a good decision it was if you ask me. The 2 cars we got in modulars so far were a bit lacking in design, cars in recent creator series look very poor as well, but those are for kids so they are somewhat excused. I'd much rather the cost of that car in PC was used for printed pieces instead.

IPA beer in rural Missouri. A strong argument in favor of tightening our immigration rules. :-)

If you can ever drag yourself away from the Clermont then a decent pint of IPA from one of our many fine Breweries is waiting for you.

By the way, when will we know whether or not the Museum in Lego Ideas is going to make it to the market? Any idea what the approximate date is for a thumbs up or thumbs down?

I just really can't see it happening - it seems so far adrift of the other launched Ideas Sets in terms of piece count and audience. Our best hope may be to crowd-source it ourselves with the Designer's permission. Get the instructions developed, organize a BL store to cover the inventory, prep packages and send them out to subscribers.... Sounds like a plan I'm in!

It looks like it will be included in the Spring review. We are currently waiting on the results of the decision on the batch that precedes it. My guess is it will be late spring when we may know something.

It looks like it will be included in the Spring review. We are currently waiting on the results of the decision on the batch that precedes it. My guess is it will be late spring when we may know something.

Thanks!

1. Is the L in "POOL" a new tile piece?

2. Still no glass piece for those top arch windows? Ugh.

3. Please let the windows be printed. I don't need another Red Five X-Wing canopy disaster.

4. Love it, will buy it, will mod it at least a little.

Yes, well new for this year and in that color. It has shown up in white and LBG in a handful or larger sets.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=14719&in=S

Most notably the Fairground Mixer. the Simpsons House and Benny's ssS.

Roger, how would you do that.. do you build the 24 x 32 barber on a 16 x 32 baseplates with two 8x16 plates along?

Either that or a 16 x 32 baseplate plus a 8 x 32 baseplate (I have one in green from an old Octan gas station). Haven't rteally put that much thought into it, 24 just seems like a logical number.

I'm not crazy about it. It's so crowded and busy. It doesn't seem substantial. The building techniques are nothing special. The blue building is too narrow to be anything. I don't like the cartoonish POOL sign. This is the first time I've looked a modular and thought "that needs some significant modding."

I do like that there is some height variation and I think that (with changes) it will fit well with my smaller moc modulars... florist and lawyer's offices.

i love this set so much. I haven't been as excited for any Modular Buildings scince the Cinema wich is also awesome. Do you guys think there is a chance this might be in the shelves for christmas? I want to make myself a christmas gift! :D

The release date appears, maybe, could be, seems to be similar to that of the PR. Too late for Christmas, Jan 15 to the masses and Jan 1 to VIPs. Maybe.

Like many - the layout is concerning. I'd be most interested to see exterior stairs on the first floor. The third floor should be finished as living area, whether or not it contains a dastardly inhabitant... The second ideally would have two separate areas, opening onto the brown addition's foyer. I'm noodling that one over.

So it's

1) exterior stairs on lvl1

2) finish living area on roof / add outdoor rooftop garden

3) add exterior rear walkway to lvl2 creating 2 separate entrances.

Here's an LDD file with a rough mockup I've created showing the changes (currently partial 1st floor only).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByWLr-XYkj5mQVVrSUoxX3g3elU/view?usp=sharing