The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

And the barber shop has direct access to the stair? Wasn't impossible to make the building 1 brick wider to gain a wall between the stair and the barbershop? Maybe also place a door beetween the stairs and the alley?

This is not making me amused at all...

It seems like the Detective Office is really everything above the pool hall and the barber. The entrance into the office proper is from the room with the bathroom, therefore it is either the private apartment of the detective, or it is not really an apartment at all. The only nitpick with the bathroom is that you have to be somewhat of an exhibitionist to use it with that big window in front of the toilet (now we now how Where-are-my-pants guy got started). I guess the floor above that is the kitchenette/breakroom for the office.

The ceiling fan looks great, and there are some good usable colors and parts here. Just like others have mentioned, I really really hope those windows are prints. I am quite OCD when it comes to stickers and cannot stand it when they do not line up just right. Many of my stickers have corner blemishes from trying to realign them to what I think is acceptable.

I look forward to the designer video explaining all the details and the story behind it. This will certainly be on the want list for 2015.

I don't think the top floor of the blue building is an apartment, even though it has a kitchenette:

1. No bed.
  2. No door, so it's public access.
  3. Plunger may indicate it's a rest/storage area for workers.

I'm very curious how the fire escape works. It doesn't look like there are stairs like in the green grocer, but there may be just a ladder on the side. The ladder probably extends a bit toward the street but needs a hand to get up to. Maybe the blue piece in the office is a release mechanism to lower the ladder. Still not sure how to get to the fire escape from inside the building, but perhaps from the window next to the bathroom.

Fantastic looking set from TLG...cab't wait to add this one to the collection.

Wonder what the cat has done to intrigue our detective??

You have to climb out the windows to acess the balconies?

It's a fire escape, so it's ok to access it from a window.

older-bridge-between-bldg.jpg

Edited by badbob001

What a cool set, so many nice pieces in here including a dartboard round tile that I have always wanted! :laugh: I would like the windows to not be clear stickers, though. :hmpf_bad:

Either way, this will look great in my little town.

I think there is also a darts-board in the Pool-room.... (Edit: like Only Sinner mentioned 3 minutes earlier than this post... :laugh: )

Edited by LegoSjaak

That Water storage tank on the roof(or whatever you call such) looks interesting, curious to see how that one is build up, it's not the same as the one in FB it seems.

The brickset page has a higher resolution version of the back.

• Now you can see the detective lurking around like a creepy stalker! So the mystery doesn't involve coins at all but cookies and candy.
  • The wanted poster shows a person in a cap!
  • Still have no idea how the rooftop barrel of cookies makes its way down to the pool hall.
  • There is an awful lot of mail and letters around. Probably waiting for the Post Office modular to be built. The same can be said of the $100 bills all around... waiting for a proper bank.

1. Plunger may indicate it's a rest/storage area for workers.

This made me lol. I enjoy your comments on the set!

Thanks for finding some interior pics LT. From these angles it seems way too cramped in there though, I'll definitely be extending the back wall to the edge of the baseplate.

Is it just me or are the numerous cats a reference to Dirk Gently's holistic detective agency?

Edited by Criga88

Is it just me or are the numerous cats a reference to Dirk Gently's holistic detective agency?

I figured it had something to do with how prominently cats feature in paperback cozy mysteries, but you might be onto something there. I think there's only one actual cat in the set, but I'm glad it's the rarer orange variant.

The brickset page has a higher resolution version of the back.

I can't seem to find it on Brickset, could you please repost it or share a direct link?

I'm liking this set even more after seeing the close up shots - the fire escape looks really well done.

Hoping S@H has a cool giveaway set to tie in with this - maybe a larger newsstand/kiosk?

I can't seem to find it on Brickset, could you please repost it or share a direct link?

It's in the newest article on Brickset. It's the same picture as posted before, but if you follow it to flickr, it has a much higher original resolution.

15625663430_7350ddf64e.jpg

by
, on Flickr

It would be funny if the detective, in search of the missing cookies, follows the cat to find.... a red fish.

Edited by badbob001

Great, thanks very much! Great detail on the original-size Flickr photo.

Hmm, looks like there is some serious space-cake-cookie-business going on!

This made me lol. I enjoy your comments on the set!

It turns out I'm wrong about the plunger. It's actually a red mixing bowl. But if I'm originally right, then ewwwww.

Apparently, the color red may once again indicate an important item in a lego set. Lets see which red items are actually helpful clues:

• Red Pool sign.
  • Red window above pool hall door.
  • Red newspaper dispenser.
  • (Likely) Red cap.
  • (Likely) Lady in red dress.
  • (Likely) Red mixing bowl.
  • (Less likely) Red on barber shop.

Designer Jamie Berard has been known to put little hidden details that you will only notice when building it. Like the restaurant name embedded in the sidewalk tile of the Cafe Corner and the Parisian Restaurant. Or the bat in the Town Hall bell tower. Or the rat hole in the Green Grocer. I suspect there will be a hidden surprise in this set. Maybe something in the water tower?

Also, in the latest US Lego Club magazine, there is a page saying that Mrs. Claus baked 12 cookies but is missing some. I only found 6 on the page... so perhaps the remaining 6 ended up in this set? Wow, I didn't think the cookie-trafficking market was global. Maybe the lady in red is Santa's grand daughter! :wink:

Edited by badbob001

There is an awful lot of mail and letters around. Probably waiting for the Post Office modular to be built. The same can be said of the $100 bills all around... waiting for a proper bank.

Don't even get me started on a hospital, a bookstore, a 30's auto repair shop, a police station, and maybe a row of residential-only rooms, as well as...

It turns out I'm wrong about the plunger. It's actually a red mixing bowl. But if I'm originally right, then ewwwww.

Apparently, the color red may once again indicate an important item in a lego set. Lets see which red items are actually helpful clues:

• Red Pool sign.
  • Red window above pool hall door.
  • Red newspaper dispenser.
  • (Likely) Red cap.
  • (Likely) Lady in red dress.
  • (Likely) Red mixing bowl.
  • (Less likely) Red on barber shop.

Designer Jamie Berard has been known to put little hidden details that you will only notice when building it. Like the restaurant name embedded in the sidewalk tile of the Cafe Corner and the Parisian Restaurant. Or the bat in the Town Hall bell tower. Or the rat hole in the Green Grocer. I suspect there will be a hidden surprise in this set. Maybe something in the water tower?

Also, in the latest US Lego Club magazine, there is a page saying that Mrs. Claus baked 12 cookies but is missing some. I only found 6 on the page... so perhaps the remaining 6 ended up in this set? Wow, I didn't think the cookie-trafficking market was global. Maybe the lady in red is Santa's grand daughter! :wink:

Now I'm checking the LEGO Youtube page.

YES!! we are getting the psychedelic print cookies in the set, wanted those ever since i first saw them in a friends set. :wacko:

There seem to be a lot of exchangeable hair pieces and hats for the individual minifigures.

Oops. I forgot Astrid designed the Town Hall. Has anyone had fleeting thoughts of 'shipping' Jamie and Astrid together and then wonder the type of Modular buildings they would make together? :blush:

There are some nice details on the interior! The fans look great!

There is some interesting half-stud offsets going on with the 3rd floor. Looks like the brown wall is set back half-stud, along with the decorative arches and entire grey section. I can't figure out how the back wall was done to compensate for this though.

It would be nice to see a door at the base of the stairs, as well as a wall between the stairs and the barber shop.

It would be nice to see a door at the base of the stairs, as well as a wall between the stairs and the barber shop.

Yeah, where is that wall? I also wonder why people need to get up to the upper floors in such a difficult way? A hanging-down ladder? Huh?