The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Hmm... I don't know what to think about this. I am not so overly positive as the majority of you seem to be. Looks a bit like an advanced City play set to me. Reminds me of the Bike Shop. As a standalone building it's interesting, but I wonder how it will go along with the other modulars. Will be interesting to see pictures of it lined up with some other buildings.

The "extreme" mix of colors will also not make this set suitable for MOC'ing.

Nice. Very nice. The detail is amazing. Plus, gotta love the barber pole. Agreed, it has an American feel. But, more of a 1930s American feel.

Edit - I noticed there is a female police officer with a new torso....has female hips and I think a new hair piece as well.

The female cop torso is from Ma Cop in the LEGO Movie Evil Lair set, and the hair is originally from Padme in the most recent Republic Gunship.

Wow! So much NPU there do i spot new hair with that Black haired guy?

Pretty sure that's just the sleepy head hair (also Nightwing and Faora, among others).

Set looks great! When is the official press release from Lego? Also a noticable change with the Lego 'expert' range moved into the top right with new logo. Can't wait for the announcement.

The female cop torso is from Ma Cop in the LEGO Movie Evil Lair set, and the hair is originally from Padme in the most recent Republic Gunship.

Ah, I see my bad I didn't buy either set.

Is there any idea on selling price yet ?

Wow! This will fill the style gap between previous official modulars and my own modern City-ish, Friendish, Creator MOCs. I am so happy with this, but let me drool over it for another hour before I can say more.

TLG, the only downside for you is that I no longer feel the need to buy the Friends Barber set next year. :wink:

Some initial thoughts:

It looks very Jamiesque. I would be very very surprised if this was designed by Astrid. Just look at all the clever and unexpected usage of parts. Definitely Jamie's imagination!

The set reminds me of a cartoon. Think those Italian Disney comics. The pool sign and all... Not necessarily a bad thing, though. I was expecting a rare colour. Dark brown, maybe. All the colourfulness, especially the light blue, add to the cartoon effect.

The trend is definitely towards smaller buildings that fit better in a city layout. Maybe to entice parents to buy these for their kids? Overall, I think the set looks like a bustling hive of activity and is actually very nice. However, it would have to be placed next to 16-wides and the PR, because it probably looks slightly out of scale next to proper 32x32 modulars.

TLG, the only downside for you is that I no longer feel the need to buy the Friends Barber set next year. :wink:

But of course you need to! All cities need a barbershop and a hairdresser's. Plus, you need to combine the art deco hair salon with Emma's house to create a friendish modular mod/moc. :wink:

Edit: wow I was late :). But still - i think it is a great modular :)

Edited by peter_m

Excellent! I will place this between PC and FB, So I think next year will be a police station corner building?

I'm really hoping for a VIP before x-mas release but some how I doubt Lego will be so kind!?

Nice detailing on the sidewalk as well. :classic:

It is a good looking set so far. I like that it is 2 buildings together, just like PS, it gives nice variation!

But, like someone mentioned earlier, I feel also the colour variation is a bit busy...it is like someone took all pieces he/she had at home, to be able to finish the building.

And as a fan of the masonry bricks, I enjoy the facade of the office!

But, please TLG...make some "corner bricks" with masonry profile also!

Really love this, cant wait for more pics although slightly disappointed that it doesn't look it is two separate buildings like the pet shop

I'm very torn on this set. It's well designed and looks good, but it just doesn't have that more adult-modular feel to it. It is rather busy, and as one already posted, has a somewhat cartoonish look. I'm really curious how it would look near buildings like the GE or GG. My wife, who doesn't follow LEGO set except for those I bring into the house, even questioned how it would look on my street. I have 12 modulars right now, and I know I'll end up getting this one. However, I'm just not jumping up and down like past ones upon seeing the first pictures. Again, it looks great as a set, but in the line of other modulars, I'm just not as excited. Hopefully more pictures will change that feeling - fingers crossed!

This looks interesting and I'm sure there will be plenty of details in and out to explore... but the thing that bothers me the most is the scale. It looks very scaled down and compressed compared to many of the other modulars. It feels less like a set in the another modular series and more like an 'expert' version of the Bike Shop series.

*Maybe* if you get two sets and add another floor to the pool hall building and double the width of the barbershop building.

Nice. Very nice. The detail is amazing. Plus, gotta love the barber pole. Agreed, it has an American feel. But, more of a 1930s American feel.

Mikey likes it?! :wink:

spot-mikey-life-cereal.jpg

Awesome, looks really good. Never really cared for these sets but this one could make me reconsider buying one.

This look pretty great. Can't wait to see the details inside. I just hope the windows sign are not transparent stickers

Is Lord Business's first name Albert? It seems that not only is he running a Restaurant but he has a barbers shop as well!!! Maybe this is how his evil empire started...