The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

I used to collect SW lego (Original Trilogy only), but I got tired of it. It's just grey grey grey. The best thing about SW lego is actually the minifigs, but if you're not into that.... Anyway, the Death Star is a really fun set, especially if you just watched the movies and get to relive some of the classic scenes while building it. Some of the UCS sets are nice too, but difficult to put on display due to size.

I bought the super star destroyer but never even opened the box. It's been sitting around a while. Grey, grey, grey is right. It reminds me on a carp that's in the lake behind my house. I've got R2D2, the Death Star and Jabbas palace. I've tried to stay away from sets that are mostly grey. I thought about the sand crawler, but way too many pieces are devoted to the treads.

Not wanting to get too off topic, just discussing alternatives to the modular series since lego has not announced the next modular and it appears Modulars will be an annual event. Got to find something to fill the void.

See! LEGO marketing knows exactly what it is doing.

1. Delay the next modular announcement.
  2. Modular-addicted AFOL with cash to spend, dying for a fix, buy up existing Modular stock.
  3. $$$$$
  4. Then announce next modular.
  5. Make plans for next year's modular to be a two-parter but have the combined cost be higher than existing sets.
  6. Bwahahahaha!
  7. Get drink of water from cackling too much.
  8. Monitor forums for more addictive behavior and stir as needed.
  9. Steeple finger tips, muttering "Excellent"

2.5 Make us pick up new themes while waiting. TLG has you where they want you OTW, see you on the dark side.

2.5 Make us pick up new themes while waiting. TLG has you where they want you OTW, see you on the dark side.

Not to worry, it's an inexpensive addiction. :-)

Not to worry, it's an inexpensive addiction. :-)

It only gets worse:

2.5.5 Make us browse and shop on bricklink, picking out parts we may or may not need for possible MOCs.
Sure sure, I'm glad for this lull so I can work on my MOCs. Of course I haven't started on any since I'm still shopping for parts. No, I don't have any concrete designs yet, but I'm sure I'll get inspired by the parts. What? I'm not just shopping for shopping's sake. I'm researching. Exploring. Oh, I don't have this part! Or do I? <mumble>Need to sort those piles eventually...</mumble> Huh? I can stop at anytime! It's no big deal at all. But excuse me while I update my Wanted list.

Seeing as the hiatus in between the official modulars could take a while, I started collecting the pieces for a Blue Grocer, inspired by the one I saw on Eurobricks. With 1 PaB and 4 BrickLink orders underway, I expect to start building next week. I was able to scratch a lot of pieces from one older modular of mine (especially grey pieces), which left me paying less money than a modular would normally cost. Of course, I did some adjustments to the scarcer pieces, but these will hardly be noticed. Can’t wait to start!

Just a random question...sorry for going off tangent. But, does anyone have a built LDD file or a brick list of just the Apartment modular of the Pet Shop Set?? I was going to build it in LDD tomorrow; but, was just curious if anyone has done so already?? ..just to get the brick piece list

Reason being...I only want to mirror the apartment modular of the Pet Shop set adding it to my existing Pet Shop (2 apartments and 1 Pet Shop). I was curious if buying pieces off Bricklink is cheaper than buying another Pet Shop just for the apartment.

Just a random question...sorry for going off tangent. But, does anyone have a built LDD file or a brick list of just the Apartment modular of the Pet Shop Set?? I was going to build it in LDD tomorrow; but, was just curious if anyone has done so already?? ..just to get the brick piece list

You could start with this one and hack it back to just the Apartment http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=41226&st=1775#entry1002401

I just had a strange theory. Do you think Lego is letting few modulars sell out so they can make room for a Ghostbusters HQ (it's kinda time for a new Lego Ideas set to come around, isn't it?)

I just had a strange theory. Do you think Lego is letting few modulars sell out so they can make room for a Ghostbusters HQ (it's kinda time for a new Lego Ideas set to come around, isn't it?)

That would be good, but they certainly making room for something and need to trim down the modulat line to 3 available at any one time!

I would definitely not mind the GB hq, but seeing as Idea sets are made in very small quantities and all grabbed off the shelves by investors, I can't be too happy to have a modular fitting set from an Idea theme as it's bound to be frustrating not being able to get one.

^That isn't 100% true... You can still buy BTTF DeLoreans and Ghostbusters ECTO-1s...

...and don't overlook the fact that Minecraft is an entire line that started from LEGO Ideas.

Some Ideas sets sell out quickly, and the common point seems to be licensing. Ignoring JAXA/NASA, the sets that vanish quickly are unlicensed. Something in the licensing agreements must require some sort of period of availability and/or minimum quantity produced. Maybe NASA and JAXA being government agencies weren't motivated to include such requirements or those agreements were formed before the madness of speculators was evident.

About a possible modular train station -- Mugen made this alternate build of the Town Hall:

http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=527023

Instructions available for free.

Thanks for posting this link. I love the modulars but don't want my town to look like every other Lego town out there with the same type of buildings. I have been wanting to convert my TH to a train station and this is perfect (although I will still have to tweak it to put my own spin on it).

I've been thinking about the 'two buildings with an alleyway inbetween' rumour regarding the detective agency. The general consensus has been that we'll get two individual buildings with an alleyway right in the middle, so two buildings like in Pet Shop, but with space between them.

However:

If we were two assume that each of the two buildings would have an individual baseplate (which seems very likely), we face a problem: If the alleyway is on the same level as the sidewalk, then there's nowhere to put the technic bricks for the connector pins!

Now I don't see Lego abandoning the modular standard here, so this leaves three options:

- the two buildings will share one baseplate, which would be odd

- the alley is raised by at least one brick (proosible, but also kind of odd)

- we won't get two 14 (13, whatever) wide buildings, but one 16 wide and a smaller one. Then the connector pins could be hidden inside dumpsters or something alike.

I'm very curious how this will end up looking.

Edited by Roger_Smith

Idea sets are only sold in official LEGO stores, so that alone is very limiting to availability even if you completely omit their production quantities.

As far as Modular Idea sets go, I am mostly looking forward to the Natural history Museum reaching enough support to enter the consideration stage, but that would take at least another year to become a product, so a GB hq would do just fine in the meantime. Both of these projects would likely take very considerable amounts of optimization and brick reduction before reaching an agreeable selling price for TLG though.

I can do without a Ghostbusters intrusion on the modular building theme. Besides, every GB HQ that I've seen resembles the FB a bit too much. The museum would be a great addition. And since the modular line is aimed primarily at AFOLs, it would be nice to see a large piece count that would satisfy those who are looking for an impressive building and those looking for 'playability'. But, I'm sure the accountants at TLG have a formula that will keep the piece count in the low 2,000 range.

I am not convinced that most buyers of modulars are also collectors, I think most people just buy the one set or maybe another that they like with no intention of collecting them, and that's where the price comes in.

We collectors will likely buy a 4000+ piece set costing upwards of 300$ because we need to have them all, and we know that price to brick ratio is usually better in large sets, and we go to great lenths to justify our expensive hobby. Normal people without our "condition" don't quite see it that way. A large price tag will just make them buy something else instead. This is why very large Idea sets stand a lesser chance at becoming a product, and if they do, probably not a very large production run nor considerable shelf longelivity.

As much as I would like it, it would come as a big surprise if any modular building ever gets approval from Ideas.

Edited by Sven F

I can do without a Ghostbusters intrusion on the modular building theme. Besides, every GB HQ that I've seen resembles the FB a bit too much. The museum would be a great addition. And since the modular line is aimed primarily at AFOLs, it would be nice to see a large piece count that would satisfy those who are looking for an impressive building and those looking for 'playability'. But, I'm sure the accountants at TLG have a formula that will keep the piece count in the low 2,000 range.

I think you are correct and I don't need another FB. Looking set, one is enough. However I also really like the idea of a natural history museum, there is so much that could be done there, maybe the 2016 modular.

Looking forward to another 2 building modular and the one described in this thread with an alley sounds interesting, it would be nice if it had a second floor walkway between the buildings.

Lastly, I also agree that sets in the low 2000 piece category are most interesting to me for modulars. Also looking forward to first photos of the 2015 modular so I can start drooling over it. Where are all the leakers?

Andy D

Yep. Another modular is needed. Fast. I'm building 10240.....X wing. I must be out of my mind. I know better than to buy a set with this many Technic parts. If I wanted something with this many pins, I'd learn how to sew.

Please, TLG, I'm need a modular.

I think you are correct and I don't need another FB. Looking set, one is enough. However I also really like the idea of a natural history museum, there is so much that could be done there, maybe the 2016 modular.

Looking forward to another 2 building modular and the one described in this thread with an alley sounds interesting, it would be nice if it had a second floor walkway between the buildings.

Lastly, I also agree that sets in the low 2000 piece category are most interesting to me for modulars. Also looking forward to first photos of the 2015 modular so I can start drooling over it. Where are all the leakers?

Andy D

But if Ghostbusters HQ is released, it would be under the Ideas theme and not be part of the Creator Expert/Modular line, so anyone wanting to have a complete Modular series and not interested in the GBHQ can still do so. I see it as a win win situation, as it would be a year with 2 Modular type releases in one year, that's if GBHQ is made modular, as we would also get the annual Creator expert modular release or if GBHQ is not to anyone's liking I'm sure it would make a goods part pack, going by normal price per piece on larger sets. And hopefully if the museum becomes a set, it too would be under the ideas theme so we would another year with 2 modular style releases. :-)

But if Ghostbusters HQ is released, it would be under the Ideas theme and not be part of the Creator Expert/Modular line, so anyone wanting to have a complete Modular series and not interested in the GBHQ can still do so. I see it as a win win situation, as it would be a year with 2 Modular type releases in one year, that's if GBHQ is made modular, as we would also get the annual Creator expert modular release or if GBHQ is not to anyone's liking I'm sure it would make a goods part pack, going by normal price per piece on larger sets. And hopefully if the museum becomes a set, it too would be under the ideas theme so we would another year with 2 modular style releases. :-)

I have no problem with another haunted house type situation. A building in another product line/theme that is easily converted to a modular building. I bought two HH to do just that.

I couldn't agree more with you. Since there has been at least 4 kinds of modulars on Lego shelves for a while- seeing the Town Hall go away and maybe Pet Shop too; it kinda makes sense they now have room for two more.

A Detective Agency AND a GB HQ.....

Lego- PLEASE MAKE THIS HAPPEN!

after being out all last week with the flu, I am now on the bandwagon for a hospital modular, I pray none of you get that nasty sickness, it puts you on your butt, so we do need a hospital for when our minifigs get sick, or a doctors office at least

I think the GB HQ would be a one off like the Simpsons, would be interested to hear if anyone has modularized that house

A Detective Agency AND a GB HQ.....

Lego- PLEASE MAKE THIS HAPPEN!

Maybe you could connect the two together somehow to make an alley between the buildings!