The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

^Everyone knows everything. Surely you must believe that :devil:

It's funny calling customer service and talking to someone, hanging up, forgetting a question you were going to ask, getting someone else on the phone and they give you entirely different answers compared to the first person you talked with...

After reading the latest talk here I sent an email to a buddy of mine up north who is the GM of a Lego Store. I have all of the modulars except for the TH at this point and I know I would be kicking myself if I ended up paying over retail for it so I wrote that I felt the end was near and wanted to pull the trigger sooner rather than later. I asked him give me a heads up if he had one on the shelves that he would be willing to ship to me. He told me that he would be getting 2 of them into his shop in a week or two and that I could have one of them no problem.

2 things I would point out;

1 - I know his store very well and they had tons of TH's on the shelves ( like most brand stores I am sure ) through the beginning of this summer

2 - The most important shopping weekend of the year for this store is coming up in about a month, and if they had inventory of 2 year old $200 sets they would be doing everything they could to get them sold and out of the way.

Local control over inventory and display at LEGO stores is surprisingly small.

There is some, obviously, but it's far less than at many other chain retailers.

The managers at my two local stores are husband and wife, and one is also the regional manager for a couple other stores, as well, and they get most things directed to them from higher up.

^Everyone knows everything. Surely you must believe that :devil:

It's funny calling customer service and talking to someone, hanging up, forgetting a question you were going to ask, getting someone else on the phone and they give you entirely different answers compared to the first person you talked with...

I've been ordering my Lego sets the past 2 years from the same customer service employer instead of the webshop and we have contact by mail. I have the email in Dutch I believe him but as you and some guys said, its no guarantee.

Well, I just got back from the grand opening of a new flagship Lego store in the Flatiron District in Manhattan. Plenty Parisian Restaurants, Palace Cinemas, and Pet Shops, but not a single Town Hall. The fact that they don't have any at the opening of a new store yet have plenty of the set that came before it leads me to believe that whatever sets are out there floating around are it for the Town Hall - I don't see them making any more. I'm guessing the high price point made a lot of people sit and wait, plus not as many people who like to buy multiple sets got a second or third when they could get one of the others for much cheaper, so they are retiring it early. Again, this is strictly anecdotal, but it certainly isn't promising for those of you that still need to pick up the set.

I doubt it means anything, but I got the new holiday catalog in the mail today and it only shows PR, PS and PC. The last catalog showed TH as well...

I was going to say the new catalogue may show some clues and tbh the fact that it's showing ps and not th kind of worries me

However ps is again out of stock on the UK store with an expected shipping date of oct 28th. I think these are most likely as a result of double vip points

Edited by Big-whoop-Guybrush

Having started collecting Modulars in February of 2013, I'm just happy that FB, GE and TH were around as long as they were. I'd like to see a program from TLG where parts for retired sets could be ordered through pick a brick in one fell swoop. Maybe not all of the original parts would be available, but something like the equivalent of the 'blue grocer' that some of the 'brick linkers' are building would be nice.

I don't think modulars show up in the catalogues ever, because they usually end up of retailer exclusives......mmm, I'll check with one to see what is on their buying list.

I was going to say the new catalogue may show some clues and tbh the fact that it's showing ps and not th kind of worries me

However ps is again out of stock on the UK store with an expected shipping date of oct 28th. I think these are most likely as a result of double vip points

All of the large D2C sets get scarce in October due to the double VIP points. I would not read too much into that. The big question is more what stock remains in channel for which sets in which regional production area. TH is a good case in point as we are getting hints that there is probably a healthier remaining stock of European product for that set while The North American version may be nearly gone.

I would not read anything in what does or does not appear in the seasonal catalog. FB lasted two years after it vanished from that. Others seem to come and go.

Also as weird as it sounds do not go 100% based on either the store employees and certainly do not base things on CS responses. The CS staff typically knows nothing about future scheduling. This is by design. They will never know more than we do beyond what is currently in stock in the warehouse right now. All they ever see is current product info. This is normal for any company. The store employees will have more reliable info as they get info from marketing that CS does not, but they are often surprised. Things they cannot reorder today may be available again next week. Or it may just show up on the truck.

My point is don't read too much by what is out of stock in October. But also don't wait too long in grabbing the GE, TH or PC. Chances are TLG wishes a minimum of three Modulars on shelves, but probably does not really have viable shelf space for many more than 5. So whatever sells out now most likely not be rerun as there is a new set deep in the production chain that will land faster than any restock could.

I know this probably is the wrong thread for this, but I have(had?) a Town Hall on backorder until the 20th. After checking my bank today, Lego seems to have never charged me for the TH. The payment was pending but now it is just not there. When I check the order status on lego.com it says that the Toy Workshop has been shipped a few days ago and the Town Hall is "In Process".

All of these rumors (for now) of TH being retired is getting me pretty worried about missing out on it, and I was just wondering if anyone else could shed some light on the subject for me. I've never had anything on backorder from Lego before.

I know this probably is the wrong thread for this, but I have(had?) a Town Hall on backorder until the 20th. After checking my bank today, Lego seems to have never charged me for the TH. The payment was pending but now it is just not there. When I check the order status on lego.com it says that the Toy Workshop has been shipped a few days ago and the Town Hall is "In Process".

All of these rumors (for now) of TH being retired is getting me pretty worried about missing out on it, and I was just wondering if anyone else could shed some light on the subject for me. I've never had anything on backorder from Lego before.

It doesn't charge until shipped. I had similar things happen with the haunted house and grand emporium (sold out after I bought on backorder and everything turned out fine). I am in the same situation with TH and am not worried....

I would not read anything in what does or does not appear in the seasonal catalog. FB lasted two years after it vanished from that. Others seem to come and go.

good to know - thanks!

It doesn't charge until shipped. I had similar things happen with the haunted house and grand emporium (sold out after I bought on backorder and everything turned out fine). I am in the same situation with TH and am not worried....

Oh wow I bought the exact same things, and was in the exact same situation! Both have shipped now, so I'm just sitting here rubbing my hands together in excitement...

Glad to hear that. Guess I'll just keep waiting then.

Just dont sleep on modulars... Lego aint nike that retro sneakers every few years

Grab em when you can

Edited by melbs

Just dont sleep on modulars... Lego aint nike that retro sneakers every few years

Grab em when you can

A tiny bit of me still hopes they do someday. I wonder if it would be financially plausable for TLG to rerelease CC and GG. I know they wont, just theoretically speaking.

I would get the VIP points. I have had no problems with them not fulfilling something from S@H on backorder.....

Now if you miss out on a modular set.....you can always download the instructions and order the parts via Bricklink ?

I know it might cost more that way, but once discontinued the price of MISB modulars go through the roof correct ?

Now if you miss out on a modular set.....you can always download the instructions and order the parts via Bricklink ?

I know it might cost more that way, but once discontinued the price of MISB modulars go through the roof correct ?

Depending on how high your roof is, yep, the price goes through the roof. I found that out when buying two new in box GG after it retired. I picked up MS and CC from someone who had built them, maintained them as complete and sold them to me. Not as expensive as new in box, but not cheap, either.

The Instructions will be available, but some of the parts may no longer be available and you will have to substitute. Like some of the CC windows and the green grooved bricks used in GG.

I'm only going to be able to afford one Pet Shop later this week. Keeping in mind that here in the US the only places I can find them available to purchase at MSRP are S@H and Amazon, do you think I should buy it from Amazon, where it's listed as "in stock" and therefore "guaranteed" to get to me, or do you think I should just order from S@H and get VIP points? I'm worried because it's been on backorder for a while and I hope they don't take more orders than they have in stock.

Ordinarily I'd say the latter, but I don't have one at all and I don't want to miss out on it, so I'm leaning toward the former.

There is another option, Target has the Pet Shop in stock online. If you use their store credit card they'll give you 5% off.

I'm only going to be able to afford one Pet Shop later this week. Keeping in mind that here in the US the only places I can find them available to purchase at MSRP are S@H and Amazon, do you think I should buy it from Amazon, where it's listed as "in stock" and therefore "guaranteed" to get to me, or do you think I should just order from S@H and get VIP points? I'm worried because it's been on backorder for a while and I hope they don't take more orders than they have in stock.

Ordinarily I'd say the latter, but I don't have one at all and I don't want to miss out on it, so I'm leaning toward the former.

S@H has never let me down in this type of situation. Plus, if you order you'll get double points and the free christmas set that's available in October.

S@H has never let me down in this type of situation. Plus, if you order you'll get double points and the free christmas set that's available in October.

I ordered a Pet Shop the other day. It says "Back ordered until Oct 20" I also received communication from s@h letting me know that it is backordered and that my order is in the queue. I also have never had a problem with backordered sets from s@h. Hope they come through this time as well...

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

This thread has me super stressed about the status of the Town Hall and Grand Emporium! I bought my first modular, the Palace Cinema, early this summer. Of course, I love the set but am now regretting not starting out with an older one. Here's my situation: I can afford one modular right now. Should I go ahead and order the Pet Shop? Or do you think I should hold out until the end of the month in hopes of the TH or GE becoming available again? I understand that no one is 100% certain about which modulars will be or won't be retired, but I would like your opinion. I'd be very happy with the Pet Shop, but would really prefer the Town Hall. I know I shouldn't take the Pet Shop for granted either--but it seems like it is the least likely of the 3 to retire soon, so I'm more willing to take the risk of waiting 2-3 months before getting it.