The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

It is speculation, but once it's official it will likely be too late for you to get it, so speculation is all you have.

@namioik

TH: Nice architecture - but to really make it stand out, you need two combined!

But if you get the chance to get it - do so!

Plus, piece count is great as you say.

Edited by andyscouse

I'm sorry but I'm totally confused ! Is town hall retiring or not or is this just pure speculation based on he said she said

In the U.S. it has retired production. No new Town Halls are scheduled to be made or delivered to the U.S. LEGO distributor in, I believe, Mississippi. That was according to the lady at customer service I spoke with Wed. morning. Europe will still most likely have it available for another month :classic:

In the U.S. it has retired production. No new Town Halls are scheduled to be made or delivered to the U.S. LEGO distributor in, I believe, Mississippi. That was according to the lady at customer service I spoke with Wed. morning. Europe will still most likely have it available for another month :classic:

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but LEGO Customer Service, although friendly, does not have the greatest history of accuracy when it comes to anything besides placing orders.

An example: In one particularly annoying case, someone told me that the LEGO Universe Rocket store build was cancelled(the nearest LEGO Store was far enough away that I couldn't just drive there and find out.). It wasn't cancelled at all, the person had no idea what he was talking about. :thumbdown:

Edited by Lind Whisperer

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but LEGO Customer Service, although friendly, does not have the greatest history of accuracy when it comes to anything besides placing orders.

An example: In one particularly annoying case, someone told me that the LEGO Universe Rocket store build was cancelled(the nearest LEGO Store was far enough away that I couldn't just drive there and find out.). It wasn't cancelled at all, the person had no idea what he was talking about. :thumbdown:

Absolutely correct.

*example

Maybe so, but all of the actual LEGO stores I called being out/not scheduled to have more in stock, TH no longer available online for Toys R' Us and Walmart, and it's status online on LEGO.com do point to her saying there are no more scheduled deliveries/runs of the set being accurate. Somebodys somewheres gots to knows somethings. The computers never lie :laugh:. I will give you the benefit of the doubt though, but I didn't want to risk it. An additional $17 on shipping + set guarantee beats the $50 I was quoted overseas :classic:

Note that I wouldn't be surprised to see it back on their website in a week or so, should some be found leftover. They'll go quickly, so it wouldn't hurt to check their site daily if you're trying to get one :classic:

Why on earth wouldn't you just call the store where the event was being held instead of somebody 100's or 1000's of miles away?

Excellent question. And as I look back, it was actually a staffer at the store that gave me the bad information. I originally called Customer Service, and they re-routed me through to the correct place, to be told the incorrect information. It's been a while, and I was confused as to who I'd ended up speaking to. So, I suppose that was not the best example of service, but for a more universal example, check the slurry of emails that have been sent back and forth between LEGO and various LU fans. All of them say something entirely different. Granted, they are related to the legal problems of making a LU remake, not to production runs, but the point remains - there is not the greatest chain of communication between Customer Service and LEGO.

It will be interesting as i am going to the states in November and was hoping to pick up town hall at a bricks and mortar shop. I hope they are still readily available then as they are expensive here in oz.

Have they ever retired a Modular out of sequence from release before?

No, so i dont think they will start now.

Dont stress People, the TH will be around for a while yet. Buy a GE instead.

No they haven't but the past does not equal the future. All we can do is speculate but what I can say was back in 2012, this exact situation was happening to the GE. Stock was very low and I had to place a back order on the set. Didn't ship till a month later (December). Fast forward two years later and it is still on the page with retirement written all over it. At the end of the day, it's better safe than sorry to buy now but TLG is probably showing low stock because they want to push the demand for it.

For the Town Hall. I think a lot of people postponed that one due to it's price and lack of "spectacularity", and are thinking " i'll get it, just not right now" I wouldn't put any bets on LEGO not sensing this. And although maybe too much thought and conspiracy is given to the subject of its availability status, it could be a way of LEGO trying to give you a push into that long postponed spending.

Unless I am giving their market research department far too much credit.

For me this speculation is too exhausting, i just bit the bullet and got all of the ones available at once so i can enjoy collecting them one by one in peace in years to come. Yes, it's expensive, but so is my peace of mind and I don't like supporting grubby investors.

Edited by Sven F

I'm lucky here in Europe. GE, PS and TH are still available. I get scared at the beginning of summer when I read here all about the GE getting sold out. So I rushed and bought it ! Better safe than sorry. Next one will be PS, next week. And I hope TH will still be available in April. Then I'll start breathing again !

I got hooked in the Modular line thanks to the Palace Cinema. Can't wait now to hear about the next one. Can't wait to get them all !

Well, the problem becomes how many are actually in stock? Things could get retired out of order, even if that wasn't planned. If one sold out stock quicker (even though it took longer to reach that point) LEGO might not feel it is justified to do another production run. In that sense, then it would be retired out of order, but only because the stock dictated it, not necessarily popularity. LEGO doesn't want to sit with a lot of product on their hands, when they could just as well push something new through the factories that will still sell.

If things are this low on stock and there will be an increased demand, so it will more than likely sell out quicker. Again, that doesn't show LEGO they need to do another production run. Now, I don't support investors either, so it'd be great if LEGO did keep it available much longer, similar to the FB to hopefully keep aftermarket prices down.

I was forced by a family member go to the mall today. Stopped briefly, emphasizing 'briefly', at the Lego store. They had the PR in the front display window. On the shelves, I saw maybe 12 modulars total. PRs and PCs were basically the inventory.

Depressing.....

For the Town Hall. I think a lot of people postponed that one due to it's price and lack of "spectacularity", and are thinking " i'll get it, just not right now" I wouldn't put any bets on LEGO not sensing this. And although maybe too much thought and conspiracy is given to the subject of its availability status, it could be a way of LEGO trying to give you a push into that long postponed spending.

Unless I am giving their market research department far too much credit.

For me this speculation is too exhausting, i just bit the bullet and got all of the ones available at once so i can enjoy collecting them one by one in peace in years to come. Yes, it's expensive, but so is my peace of mind and I don't like supporting grubby investors.

I have to admit that I did exactly that. Never quite liked the Town Hall due to it's rather boxy nature and hefty price tag, but I've always wanted a place to marry my minifigs officially. Then I saw one new on sale here in NZ for roughly USD200, so I grabbed it. Glad I waited though, because I saved a hell of a lot. But the problem with waiting was that sometimes I end up paying higher prices. I was hoping the Grand Emporium would come on sale, but when it did, resellers grabbed them before I could and I ended up having to fork out USD235 to get it from the Lego online store, when I could've gotten it for much less earlier. So I actually paid more for my GE than TH, and the savings from TH probably balanced out the costs from the GE in the end. :-P

It's a gamble, really, but sometimes, when you have to save up for a while to even be able to afford a single modular, it's just what you have to do.

They also haven't had a $200 dollar one either. I don't have sales figures, but I would guess there is quite a difference in the amount of buyers willing to pay $200 for a large set vs. $150 for a similar size toy. Another thing, that may or may not have anything to do with anything, is that there were 4 modulars available at one time. All I know, from previous experiences with set availability, is that if "Sold Out" starts appearing on their site, something is on it's way out. I really do hope you are right, though. I wanted to combine two of them like others have done :look::classic:

Edited by LEGO Guy Bri

My strategy has been to only buy the modulars during Double VIP events. I bought my first one during Bricktober last year, Grand Emporium during the April event, and Pet Shop this month. If Town Hall is still around by April next year, I might get it. Otherwise, I will get the Palace Cinema. I just wish I had got The LEGO Movie sticker for that set.

My own MOC is coming a long slowly. The LEGO Neighborhood book is an inspiration for the bathroom which I have been stuck and disinterested in for some time now.

I'm busy building my GE at the moment and I'm curious how everyone prepares to build. Do you tip all parts out on a flat surface and then just get building. Or do you organise your pieces into colours/ styles etc? I feel that I spend most of my time looking all around for a single piece I need before moving on !

I'm busy building my GE at the moment and I'm curious how everyone prepares to build. Do you tip all parts out on a flat surface and then just get building. Or do you organise your pieces into colours/ styles etc? I feel that I spend most of my time looking all around for a single piece I need before moving on !

I open the necessary bags, pour the contents of each into a separate pile (even the smaller bags within the bigger bags) and then I start building. Can't be bothered sorting because that'll take me forever for larger sets, but I do spend some time looking for tiny pieces while building that sometimes probably took longer than necessary. But the benefit of separating each bag is that the pieces become sorted in a way, so pieces are easier to find. It's why I always need a massive table for building.

Hi I'm new here because I wanted to respond on the rumour that town hall being discontinued soon. I had contact with someone from Lego today and he said that they just stopped production for GE but they had enough inventory to last trough the holidays. TH won't be discontinued just yet.

Edited by Donatello

I had contact with someone from Lego

While I do realise you don't want to give your source, it would be helpful to give some additional details on what kind of position this "someone" has with the company. Many people who work for Lego unfortunately don't have the faintest idea what they are talking about. I've encountered this several times, and I believe I'm not the only one.