The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Seems strange. It feels like the Slave 1 has been "announced" about three times so far.

Oh well. The wait continues.

hold on folks, that is not the official Lego site, that is the site for lego shop, there are a ton of Lego FB sites, but the official one is: https://www.facebook.com/LEGO

Now it does show Lego Batman 3 game coming out, but the last time when they announced Bionicle, it wasn't until later in the day, so either the announcement is Batman 3, which I doubt since that is not even sold in Lego Stores, so all hope is not lost

Where did the idea that it would be unveiled today come from?

Well, if Lego will continue to release their modulars in January, like they did with the PR, they would most likely unveil it now. If they don't, then probably at the beginning of next year. However, if they do reveal it next year, then there will probably be leaks that get out, like how leaks got out last year.

Wait- where was the modular supposed to be revealed?

Does anyone have some insight on how well the modulars sold in comparison to each other? If the PR sold really well, then that is the market telling LEGO what it likes.

And are there many interesting building archetypes left unexplored? If not, then LEGO designers may turn their focus on the other aspects of these sets, such as interior design, vignettes, building function (ie: hospital, police station, etc), or <gasp> play features.

I hear you regarding play features. However, there is one exception that might be fascinating: a printing press. Imagine if you had a production line that actually moved product in its various stages. An old fashioned newspaper building might be interesting.

Where did the idea that it would be unveiled today come from?

It seems like there was supposed to be some announcement today, and apparently the FB "reveal" of Slave I was it.

Edited by AFOLguy1970

I bought the second to the last Pet Shop at the OKC LEGO Store. I have been hoping to get where I am not on the cusp of missing a modular. At these prices and my other LEGO priorities, it is hard to get them.

I have been considering skipping the Town Hall anyway. It is less for the price and more for I have never seen a Town Hall incorporated into a city block like that. I am used to seeing them was a lawn around them. Besides, I will quickly run out of space so I may have to be more considerate of which modulars I get going forward. The Palace Cinema and Parisian Restaurant is a definite buy for me.

Depending on the architectural style a detective office would be a good fit too.

The store calendar promised to reveal an exclusive set today on the facebook page NicT mentioned (I haven't got a link handy, but google "Lego October 2014 calendar" and check today's date). Since the Slave I had already been revealed it seemed likely that it would be the new modular.

Edit: here's a link: http://www.bricksand...re-Calendar.jpg I suppose it's technically accurate, since you can "see the next exclusive set" on that page, but it seems odd to announce that date on the calendar when the same pics were on the main LEGO facebook page two days earlier.

Edited by parksroad

I am going to remain positive that since Slave I was already revealed on Oct 4 that this is not it...if not, Nov 21 is another exclusive reveal date. And I noticed the Lego Shop FB is always showing the Lego FB items so...in the end who knows. The mgr at my local store had no idea about the modular, had asked regional who also had no info. I don't think TLG tells it's employees anything on that stuff. I am guessing that there is more to come still.

An old fashioned newspaper building might be interesting.

But what exactly is an old fashion newspaper building? I don't necessary see architecture and function needing to follow each other. For example, the Town Hall can easily be used as an apartment building (LEGO movie), school, bank, post office, library, police station, and even newspaper office. Now if LEGO came out with a newspaper office that looked similar to the Town Hall, then it might not be that attractive to buyers.

Everyone have their priorities on what they want and LEGO designers needs to find some balance in their design so to satisfy the most people. I guess we just need to vote with our wallets and purses.

I went down to my closest Lego Store today, and asked about what they had in stock, and just a few PR, and a few PC sets. They ran out of TH's over the weekend and don't expect to get any more; no PS's either. I am not sure if they were too up on it all though. Oh well. I wanted to get the Christmas freebie so ended up buying an Arkham Asylum Escape set... I like that red glass window in the tower. They didn't have the Friends set I wanted to get now for a Christmas gift, so I guess I will be making an online order after all, I still have a free shipping code and a $50 gift card I got for my birthday...

I got back into Lego after buying the Parisian Restaurant in May this year, and then the craze got to me and I started buying up every single modular available in a slightly OCD-manner. To date, I have the Fire Brigade, the Pet Shop, the Town Hall and the Parisian Restaurant all at heavily discounted prices from retail (25% to 31%), and the Grand Emporium and Haunted House at full retail price but with double VIP points from the LEGO store. Next up is the Palace Cinema, which I don't particularly like due to its size, but the unreasonable collector in me wants to get it anyway. My favorite by far is still the Parisian Restaurant, due to the detailed interior and exterior. Here's to hoping the Detective Agency will be in the same league.

Well maybe the announcement will be for an Exclusive Train set not a modular? ..

Hope it is tje modular one

Let's hope there will be any announcement ;)

With those saying TLG will never do a bar (or at least, an outright bar), perhaps the focus for the unit downstairs will be a pool hall, with the bar itself a side feature like other sets?

I am not sure that "a bar" has as much of a bad or "adult" conotation to it in Europe as some of you make it out to be. I don't see a reason why LEGO wouldn't make a bar, its not like there will be minifig prostitutes in the set. A bar with a couple stools and some bottles seems perfectly fine to me.

Lego's avoidance of alcohol has always been highly situational. I think the main thing is no alcohol references in modern settings such as City. But heck they have Inn's and Taverns in Pirates and Castle and Western. Modulars with their more adult focus and the earlier period settings might just be outside their restrictions, if they can keep it in a certain context.

Guess NicT was right, nothing about modular or anything, just a restatement of the Slave I that we have all seen since Saturday, why that FB page is rehashing the same info as the other FB sites have and calling it a reveal is beyond me, guess TLG doesn't have a dictionary handy to look up the word reveal. In any case, now hope that the Nov 21 will be the official modular reveal...that Slave I is a pretty big ship though, saw a video of it, nicely detailed and I would say if you are a SW fan, that is a must.