The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Thanks for the clarification on store inventory management and retiring sets.

As far as the Detective Agency is concerned, do you know what base plate(s) will be used? I'm having trouble visualizing how this would be set up on a standard 32 x 32 plate.

Again, thanks!

No problem! Unfortunately I don't as it was only a small image. Besides, you don't have long to wait now :grin:

No problem! Unfortunately I don't as it was only a small image. Besides, you don't have long to wait now :grin:

You can't tell us anything more? Like color maybe? The wait is killing me :tongue: I guess we'll learn more tomorrow

What I fear is that the scale of the modulars is becoming smaller, like what has happened with the Creator houses. The Creator houses used to fit in rather well with the old modulars. Last year's Bike Shop was smaller, however combining two still made it suitable for a modular city.

Last years PR, while in many ways great, is certainly smaller in scale compared to the older modulars.

And then we come to this year's Creator house, the Toy Store, which is so minuscule and lacks features that I don't find it modifiable any more. I sure hope the DA isn't going the same way...

I think, like everything else, price kept the popularity down for the TH. I think it was a pricing experiment, to see if there was a market for larger modulars. I think the $50 price premium was a little too much for a lot of potential buyers. Then came the PR, which was somewhere in the middle at $159, and it did better. On S@H I have noticed that all the modulars have purchasing limits, either 2 or 5, but the PR has no such restriction. I wonder if that means there is a huge supply of that set.

I agree with others, about the TH being sold out in USA, it will reappear, as stock is rearranged. Just keep an eye out every day or two and I bet it reappears, like the GE has. I think the jig really is up for the GE though.

The rumor on an alley down the center. My visualization is an alleyway, with the building spanning it on the upper floors, so it would be kind of a pass through. To have space for an alley really makes the two halves very small spaces... Lets keep up the ideas, there are as many theories as people on here to give them! :-)

What I fear is that the scale of the modulars is becoming smaller, like what has happened with the Creator houses... Last years PR, while in many ways great, is certainly smaller in scale compared to the older modulars.

This is true, but keep in mind that the design objectives for the modular buildings are quite different today. When the series first launched, the company was in quite a different state of affairs to how it is today - profits had to be maximised wherever possible, yet the designers were handed restrictions on the elements they could use. Think of this as 'art through adversity'; limitations can make one more creative.

So, the focus was on how advanced building techniques could be implemented into different styles of real-world architecture. That was the selling point, and it appealed directly to a mature hobbyist audience for the exact reason that there was limited playability out of the box. The builder had the opportunity to create their own scenario.

The modular buildings today differ in that the scenario has become integral to the finished model.

There are a number of reasons for this, but what it boils down to is the appeal to a broader audience. Today, many non-hobbyist customers are not only aware of when a new Exclusive like a modular building has been released, but they expect the building to tell a story. This can only be done if sacrifices are made within similar price ranges, and so while the scale of the buildings may fluctuate over time, more attention is being paid to the interior in order to produce a finished product.

What I find fascinating - maybe even ironic - is that Creator has year over year become more popular for doing nothing more than being a traditional construction brand.

The rumor on an alley down the center. My visualization is an alleyway, with the building spanning it on the upper floors, so it would be kind of a pass through. To have space for an alley really makes the two halves very small spaces... Lets keep up the ideas, there are as many theories as people on here to give them! :-)

I'd expect clotheslines with laundry spanning the gap between the buildings actually, maybe also some air-conditioners hanging from the windows.

So, from what I'm reading, TLG might as well take the 16+ label off the box. The only relevance it may have in the future will be that an adult level of income is needed to afford the product.

My problem with the PR was that TLG apparently moved from a more mature market to a children's market.

Granted, Lego is a toy, but the original intent of the modular series is what appealed to me. And, quite frankly, I'm not comfortable as an adult talking about 'playability' or gushing over the little details in the PR. I want a structure. A real building. I want something like the Green Grocer or Fire Brigade. I don't want 'modular light'. I don't want something where, when adults visit, they wonder why we didn't put the kids toys away. But, the broader market TLG may be aiming for is far more important and profitable than the market segment represented by people like me.

Interesting about the alleyway. Not really sure what to think about that. If it's open to the top (which I assume as otherwise it would just be an open passageway, similare to GG), I don't really see how they would pull off a building to either side of it without them being extremely small. I didn't mind the fact that PR had the terrace to the side, but two buildings that at most are 12-14 studs wide seems overly crowded. I'd also expect that we'd get a (possibly external) staircase at the back for access to the upper floors.

But I hope we'll know more by tomorrow.

I wonder what color the baseplate will be. I'm hoping for a dark green or maybe even brown.

Also directed to Off the wall, did you end up getting the restaurant? If so did you MOD it to be more to your liking?

Edited by tomdobs55

I wonder what color the baseplate will be. I'm hoping for a dark green or maybe even brown.

Also directed to Off the wall, did you end up getting the restaurant? If so did you MOD it to be more to your liking?

Yes, I got it. I did a MOC. My MOC is a little 'squarish', but it fits in better with my city. If you're intersted, let me know. I can email you some pics. I still haven't gotten around to setting up an online site to host photos.

I have four PRs. One is as shown on the Lego box, two were combined to make an MOC and one was saved in case I ever have a granddaughter.

This is true, but keep in mind that the design objectives for the modular buildings are quite different today. When the series first launched, the company was in quite a different state of affairs to how it is today - profits had to be maximised wherever possible, yet the designers were handed restrictions on the elements they could use. Think of this as 'art through adversity'; limitations can make one more creative.

So, the focus was on how advanced building techniques could be implemented into different styles of real-world architecture. That was the selling point, and it appealed directly to a mature hobbyist audience for the exact reason that there was limited playability out of the box. The builder had the opportunity to create their own scenario.

The modular buildings today differ in that the scenario has become integral to the finished model.

There are a number of reasons for this, but what it boils down to is the appeal to a broader audience. Today, many non-hobbyist customers are not only aware of when a new Exclusive like a modular building has been released, but they expect the building to tell a story. This can only be done if sacrifices are made within similar price ranges, and so while the scale of the buildings may fluctuate over time, more attention is being paid to the interior in order to produce a finished product.

What I find fascinating - maybe even ironic - is that Creator has year over year become more popular for doing nothing more than being a traditional construction brand.

If this is true than my voice is going to be diminished over time because of profits. I thought modulars were "toys for adults". All the modular buildings need to be are full sized buildings with a nice balance between interior and exterior detail. Although the story telling is nice, it shouldn't compete with the overall size of the building. If the kids don't like it than they can buy plenty of City sets. I might need to find a new hobby in the future.

If this is true than my voice is going to be diminished over time because of profits. I thought modulars were "toys for adults". All the modular buildings need to be are full sized buildings with a nice balance between interior and exterior detail. Although the story telling is nice, it shouldn't compete with the overall size of the building. If the kids don't like it than they can buy plenty of City sets. I might need to find a new hobby in the future.

Bingo! You nailed it!

Even more curious now. It seems like two buildings with an alley in between would have to be connected in some way (fire escape between them?) for stability. And it might be tricky to reach into a 6-stud-wide alley between two buildings. Have already checked the facebook page once or twice. It's the 6th in Denmark already, after all.

So, from what I'm reading, TLG might as well take the 16+ label off the box. The only relevance it may have in the future will be that an adult level of income is needed to afford the product.

My problem with the PR was that TLG apparently moved from a more mature market to a children's market.

Granted, Lego is a toy, but the original intent of the modular series is what appealed to me. And, quite frankly, I'm not comfortable as an adult talking about 'playability' or gushing over the little details in the PR. I want a structure. A real building. I want something like the Green Grocer or Fire Brigade. I don't want 'modular light'. I don't want something where, when adults visit, they wonder why we didn't put the kids toys away. But, the broader market TLG may be aiming for is far more important and profitable than the market segment represented by people like me.

With the greatest respect, I don't believe you're looking at the broader picture.

Working within the company (retail at least) provides one with an incredible insight into the general operations - from concept to final product to sale. The market for LEGO products has changed drastically over the course of 10 years; so much so that store managers now actually have 'a' form of input into future product ideas and channels. This would have been unthinkable once, but the audience now is so broad that the company is under pressure to deliver new ideas every year, and the retail experience is becoming integral to that. Not only this, but social media over the past five years alone has changed the way the company delivers and communicates with its fans, so we're no reaching out to different to many different audiences across the world.

This is why, if we take the Create Expert product line, sub-themes exist to cater for different markets. The very nature of branding this line 'Creator Expert' provides customers with an additional visual dimension that was, again years ago, never necessary, but is now important as a means for customers to gauge the differences between regular Creator and their more advanced counterparts. Before this, the merchandising was was a poor afterthought as the Exclusive products in question had little retail space.

You are speaking as a hobbyist, or 'AFOL', and that is absolutely fine. I am one as well of course, just like many of the forum members. But, let's keep in mind that this term is so ambiguous, it is entirely wrong to label a series of products 'poor', 'toys' or childish just because the design ethos is different to previous iterations.

For those lucky enough to visit LEGO brand retail stores or who are clued up about new products, the more recent modular buildings have become far more popular with customers who, often, have never purchased a LEGO product for themselves in the past, but were drawn to the idea that a particular model was not only a building with nice architecture, it contained a relatable scenario to match. And in short, this audience is far greater and more approachable than the hobbyist genre that was originally conceived, because the product today is a complete package with a story to tell. I can't tell you how great it is to hear from customers young and even elderly who loved being guided through a narrative.

I just felt the need to step in there, because it's important to recognise that while many of us will be (and sometimes are) disappointed with a product, there are also many others who have nothing but praise. So please, let's try and remain positive.

Does this mean that Town Hall should be coming back in stock sometime this year?

Yes. GE's end of life was early may, and because of a leak, sales have gone through the roof! As far as I'm aware, and from what I've seen, TH has been a steady seller.

I thought modulars were "toys for adults". All the modular buildings need to be are full sized buildings with a nice balance between interior and exterior detail. Although the story telling is nice, it shouldn't compete with the overall size of the building. If the kids don't like it than they can buy plenty of City sets. I might need to find a new hobby in the future.

As I argued previously, we shouldn't narrow down what "kids want" based upon our own tastes. There are no rules for what these products should be, but mere guidelines to follow. I have seen many parents and "kids" purchase a modular building for themselves, so that as a family they can work on it together for a birthday/Christmas.

Working within the company (retail at least) provides one with an incredible insight into the general operations - from concept to final product to sale. The market for LEGO products has changed drastically over the course of 10 years; so much so that store managers now actually have 'a' form of input into future product ideas and channels. This would have been unthinkable once, but the audience now is so broad that the company is under pressure to deliver new ideas every year, and the retail experience is becoming integral to that. Not only this, but social media over the past five years alone has changed the way the company delivers and communicates with its fans, so we're no reaching out to different to many different audiences across the world.

Spoilered because it's not relevant to the conversation as a whole.

With the changing LEGO business model, if it could be proved to LEGO that re-releasing LU through a secondary party(one with more experience at profitably handling MMOGs), could be a more than profitable business move for the company, do you think that they would consider it?*

(After they proved how well P2P and F2P could be balanced in SW:tOR, I was thinking of EA as probably being the best candidate for the secondary party.)

*You would of course need a secondary party to agree to such a deal, but after examining the numbers LU was selling, this would be the easiest part. Not to mention, you'd have an almost 100% return rate of old (paying)players, in addition to the new crowd.

As an OFOL (Old Fart Of Lego), I'm more interested in a good, solid build for the opportunity to customize the interior and make my own scenario. I enjoy the build for the learning experience from being shown new building techniques, appreciating the work that went into designing the build, and then using it as an base for putting my own spin on it. I don't need spoonfed a scenario that compromises the scale of the build. I really like the PR, but it's kinda tiny for a $160 modular. If this upcoming modular is gonna follow suit and be another small build for the sake of an alleyway, then I'm gonna be very disappointed in this direction Lego is going. It looks cheap.

As an OFOL (Old Fart Of Lego), I'm more interested in a good, solid build for the opportunity to customize the interior and make my own scenario. I enjoy the build for the learning experience from being shown new building techniques, appreciating the work that went into designing the build, and then using it as an base for putting my own spin on it. I don't need spoonfed a scenario that compromises the scale of the build. I really like the PR, but it's kinda tiny for a $160 modular. If this upcoming modular is gonna follow suit and be another small build for the sake of an alleyway, then I'm gonna be very disappointed in this direction Lego is going. It looks cheap.

I beg to differ. To me PR is the best modular in line, the most mature one - it maintains a perfect balance between the amount of details on the outside and inside of the building.

I do not mind that modulars tell stories, they are pretty generic and not invasive. I treat modulars as big vignettes. If you are a person that likes to get hands dirty, you are free to modify whatever you want (story, interior, building itself etc.). If you, on the other hand, just like to enjoy the set "as is" - then you have it all there.

If TLG was to start selling bare buildings they would probably draw off a significant number of potential buyers. We would all lose then - lower popularity means less money for future designs :)

Edited by peter_m

Nesquik......

It's not that I'm not looking at the broader picture. I fully understand it. But, I don't care about it. I want what I want. And, TLG seems to be moving towards trying to make one size fit all. And, when that happens, that one size seldom fits any one individual just right. I don't need a Lego product to tell a story, to educate me or to appeal to my entire family. I need a nice building with a satisfactory interior that speaks of being an AFOL and not a child.

But, thanks for the lengthy and well thought out response. I think we agree on what TLGs objectives are, I just don't necessarily agree with them.

Edited by Off the wall

I for one love a story/scene/setting in modulars. I appreciate their advanced building techniques and architecture but hey I also love playing with them. But that's just me. :laugh:

Sonicstarlight posted a moc today featuring an alley in between two 14 stud wide buildings. It looks how I was imagining the rumored Detective Agency might look. I think it looks good, the slightly narrower buildings add some variety to the typical modular street.

http://www.eurobrick...opic=100970&hl=

I was also imagining it like that - but on two 16x32 baseplates.

Edited by peter_m

Maybe it's just me, but that looks too narrow to be an alley. An alley (at least where I live) is usually associated with being able to have garbage trucks drive down it. Just sayin'. Now I guess the debate can start 'what's an alley'?

If the buildings are connected, 4 studs is wide enough for an alley. And if the buildings aren't connected then an alley would be unnecessarily big if it's going to be wider than 4 studs.

Maybe it's just me, but that looks too narrow to be an alley. An alley (at least where I live) is usually associated with being able to have garbage trucks drive down it. Just sayin'. Now I guess the debate can start 'what's an alley'?

"An alley or alleyway is a narrow lane, path, or passage way, often for pedestrians only, which usually runs between, behind, or within buildings in the older parts of towns and cities. It is also a rear access or service road (back lane), or a path or walk in a park or garden. A covered alley or passageway, often with shops, may be called an arcade. The origin of the word alley is late Middle English: from Old French alee ‘walking or passage,’ from aler ‘go,’ from Latin ambulare ‘to walk’."

Very broad notion it is :)

Edited by peter_m