The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Guys, just let it go.

We've had this discussion several times within this thread alone (plus more repetitions in other threads), usually with the same few people belligerently criticizing PR for mostly flimsy reasons. The only argument that doesn't boil down to a simple, yet provocatively worded "I don't like (some aspect of) it!" really is that PR offers less enclosed space than the previous full-sized modulars.

It's getting really old.

Edit: Uhm, yeah. Simultaneous posting ftw :)

Edited by Roger_Smith

We've had this discussion several times within this thread alone (plus more repetitions in other threads), usually with the same few people belligerently criticizing PR for mostly flimsy reasons.

People have their reasons for not liking it and those reasons are not any more or less valid than your reasons for liking it.

But, indeed, as Off the Wall has already said, it's been discussed many times in various threads, so let's not repeat the same arguments again. Off the Wall, if you want, you can always send peter_m a PM with a link to one of your posts where you explain why you don't like it.

On Brickset, there is some discussion about this. They also mention that it will not be "retro" style, whatever that may mean.

Perhaps "retro" isn't referring to the architecture? Maybe it suggests we won't be getting the classic minifigure heads or something? (Just my initial thought about this)

Edited by Overcold

As long as Jamie is the designer. I personally did not care much for Astrid's entries in the line.

I don't think Astrid was the problem. Town Hall itself was the problem. So hugely and terribly boring concept.

Still, I think Jamie has better techniques. It also goes for the Cinema...

I might be in the minority, but i love the Town Hall. It's grandeur, the interior is fantastic, and I love how it's the grand building in a town layout. For me the Parisian Restaurant and Market Street are the biggest let downs in the range, and Market St is considered by some not to be a modular.

Personally I really liked the town hall. I thought it was well done. Not every modular will please everyone but the Parisan Restaurant offered some cool techniques. I'm excited to see the next one.

Town Hall is big, a bit bland and not really that detailed, which is why I can understand quite a lot of people think it one of the lesser Modulars. I don't, I think it was a good effort and the reason I don't have it, is that I have my limits as to what I want to spend on Lego in any given year and the space I have for Lego in my house and this one just didn't make the cut.

I really like PR, but it seems the price just doesn't want to come down to a level I am more comfortable with. Up untill now, Modulars went down in price after about half a year at some reatailers over here. The two I have (Pet Shop and Grand Emporium) cost me less than € 140, new at a shop. PR still is around € 170 and I think that's just a bit much for what you get.

You really need to explain why PR was a big let down for you....

no i don't, no i won't.

this is an open discussion, i don't demand you explain what's so good about either... just appreciate the beauty of individuality and different tastes.

We should learn to accept that everyone is going to have differing opinions. This is a product line that has matured greatly, and builders have come to expect quite different results each year. It is because of this maturity that the modular buildings have indeed become 'complete' products rather than a hobbyist line, and why the scenario of a building will become more important to its wide appeal.

Town Hall is big, a bit bland and not really that detailed, which is why I can understand quite a lot of people think it one of the lesser Modulars. I don't, I think it was a good effort and the reason I don't have it, is that I have my limits as to what I want to spend on Lego in any given year and the space I have for Lego in my house and this one just didn't make the cut.

This. I have every modular since the FB with the exception of TH. I do not have it because it is $200 plus tax. Saving up for it means no Hobbit Lonely Mountain set, no Passenger Train to go around the Christmas tree, and my MOC gets put on hold for a few months. The Town Hall looks good. I have never met a modular I did not like. It is big, and it is in the design of many public buildings found in both Europe and North America. It is just that price point that is keeping me away. If some extra money comes my way, then it is a possible buy. Otherwise, it is not something that I cannot live without.

holy moly, not the I like this I don't like that AFOL anonymous facebook like posts again...let's talk about the next modular or rumors thereof or if you want to talk about the other modular buildings, do a bit more than I like them. No offense meant to anyone, but let's act like the A in AFOL, I have seen such crazy discussions and been sucked into them...oh I get no respect or oh my feelings are hurt, sorry but that is a cop out when you are posting anonymously. This is an internet message board about toys after all.

That said, was very interesting to see the info about this not being not retro style and a bar? I truly cannot see TLG putting out a set with a bar in it, even though these sets are higher end on the price point, the toy is for kids in the end, but I know there are very different laws in Europe vs the US based on alcohol and what age people can drink. I just can't see TLG putting in a bar though, if they do, why do it in a detective set, wait and do the traditional pub and do it up right?

As for the retro style or lack thereof, when Cinema came out, it was very different than the rest, wondering if they aren't going to do something similar in looks and it kind of makes no sense for those of us who actually do connect all the buildings, but to those who do not...well hmmm. I too was thinking either 1950's or so and maybe old Hollywood movie style or even further and go Holmes Baker Street.

I am also wondering price point. Will TLG go with the higher price like the Restaurant? I have not gotten one yet, waiting on double points, but from the loads of discussion, the money is in the details, not the building itself as the structure is smaller than the rest. I would like to see the $150 price point again with a full size building but enough details to satisfy everyone...maybe not realistic but I think it can be done by any of the designers. Hope you all have a very nice day.

truly cannot see TLG putting out a set with a bar in it, even though these sets are higher end on the price point, the toy is for kids in the end, but I know there are very different laws in Europe vs the US based on alcohol and what age people can drink. I just can't see TLG putting in a bar though, if they do, why do it in a detective set, wait and do the traditional pub and do it up right?

Let's not forget the Horizon Express.

Well a bar would be very much in line with PR. I cannot imagine a restaurant and a bar consecutively...

I hope a film noir kind of detective agency. With an icecream salon or something. Two 16x32 buildings or a 32x48 building would be very nice....

Something like a coffee bar would make sense (but we already have the CC). I don't think the Detective Agency will be a modern building because it would look strange next to the other Modulars. The PC was already criticized because of this. I hope it will be like the PS (big and reasonably detailed).

@merman: An icecream salon sounds great!

Edited by Robert_88

Hi all :)

I would ask if someone know when town hall (10224) will "end it's life" on the shop? Because I want to buy one, but if there's no hurry I will give priority to other sets and I'll wait for christmas discounts :D :D

Edited by Noisemaker

did not know there is a bar in the Horizon Express, and sure there are rum bottles and the like on the Pirates Caribbean theme, but if the are doing a true pub like bar, I just don't see it. I wouldn't mind if they do, but would like to see that as it's own modular.

Hi all :)

I would ask if someone know when town hall (10224) will "end it's life" on the shop? Because I want to buy one, but if there's no hurry I will give priority to other sets and I'll wait for christmas discounts :D :D

I guess no one really knows, but in terms of modulars there are still 2 previous sets still on the shelfs, so my guess is it should still be around for a little while. That's the gamble I'm making, having saved for PS next month, and waiting until I have the money to purchase TH and PC (and potentially DA after its release) during the next year

The Brickset forum did give specific information about what kind of "bar" to expect with the Detective Agency. The poster who claims a source suggested a juice bar, milkshake bar, donut and coffee place, or something along those lines.

Indeed PR, Horizon Express, and Pirates of the Caribbean have suggested the presence of alcohol. Perhaps even the Star Wars Mos Eisley Cantina would also be an example. It is doubtful that they are drinking Aunt Beru's blue milk in that wretched hive of scum and villainy.

A detective agency, at least your typical Hollywood one, makes me think of smoke and alcohol. Sherlock Holmes had that pipe, others had cigars, and even Eddie Valiant had his drinking moments. Perhaps the bottom floor would be more of a soda fountain or something maybe in the style of the 1950's.

Edited by AFOLguy1970

People do realize that the Palace Cinema looks different because it is essentially based on Grauman's Chinese Theater in California. That opened in 1927, so it fits the era of the other builds (considering Town Hall had a 1800s date and the Fire Brigade had a 1930s date). So it fits perfectly well compared to what people complain about. I didn't like it at first, but it has grown on me.

The detective agency could very well be 1940s, which isn't too far off from the theme as a whole. I'd assume it won't be too modernized, but I could be wrong. But even with that said, a modern building may not look great with the others, but it may be a perfect stand alone set (which these are supposed to be anyway).

These modulars Lego released are pretty sweet for city layouts. I remember when Green Grocer and Grand Emporium came out. Phenomenal and unprecedented. I think Lego should really go this way because the older City buildings were a tragedy...

FYI, for what is worth.....my two GEs shipped today.

It's interesting to me, my GE is still backordered but they shipped two freebie sets. I guess that's fine but what if they ended up canceling my order due to lack of inventory, I'm not shipping back my Classic Space guy!

I went to this London Lego store yesterday and one of the employees told me that the last thing he heard from Lego about the 2015 modular is that it is going to have a "Sherlock Holmes" style. He said that info was from a while ago, but that there had not been any other news since then. He didn't give me any more details, though.

I went to this London Lego store yesterday and one of the employees told me that the last thing he heard from Lego about the 2015 modular is that it is going to have a "Sherlock Holmes" style. He said that info was from a while ago, but that there had not been any other news since then. He didn't give me any more details, though.

If this is true, the the rumor detective Agency could be real...