The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Whenever I see that rioting on tv, I can't help but think of Eurotrash's MOCs.

I'll drop by the mall sometime this week to grill the store manager on coming attractions. The 5500 piece flower shop will be on the list of questions.

To all of our UK readers, I'm watching Burnley as I write this. The league may need a special, early relegation this year.

Edited by Off the wall

Now that just sounds Gaudy.

But back on topic - They unveiled the Parisian Restaurant during Brickcon in Seattle and I notice that for this years' Brickcon Jamie Berard is attending...... /maybe for the unveiling of the next one?/

Ok now that is hopeful. It doesn't necessarily mean a modular though. Is Jamie the lead for Creator Expert and creator sets, plus some other specialized stuff? Granted I am not sure what Else Creator Expert might have in the pipeline? (Has the Winter Village set been publicly shown?) also if that new Pirate ship is a D2C it might fall under his domain. But I am still really really hopeful it's a new Modular.

Whenever I see that rioting on tv, I can't help but think of Eurotrash's MOCs.

There's been no riots in my MOC town so far, but I can see some problems brewing.... :classic:

Ok now that is hopeful. It doesn't necessarily mean a modular though. Is Jamie the lead for Creator Expert and creator sets, plus some other specialized stuff?

Here's a link to the sets he's designed (http://brickset.com/sets/list-8900) but the relevent short answer is.... Cafe Corner, Green Grocer, Fire Brigade, Grand Emporium, Pet Shop, Parisian Restaurant.

Regarding modular build's place in TLG's priority list...

I saw a 30-minute episode on Bloomberg TV about TLG this past winter. Apparently TLG's current CEO made marketing to both AFOL's (presumably the modular series) and girls (Friends and Disney lines) a bit priority when he came in (2006ish?).

Since TLG is privately owned, there's a disadvantage of "financial transparency" for guys like us - but Bloomberg emphasized how every indication is those marketing efforts have paid huge profitability dividiends, and led the resurgence of Lego from an early-2000's decline. And one big *advantage* of being privately owned is they're not beholden to quarterly earnings or shareholder profitability - so they are able to sustain less-profitable lines as long as they're confident in the long-term value of them (modular's side effect of bringing in AFOL's, as many have noted).

All in all, I wouldn't worry about Lego drifting away from modulars anytime soon. And they'll continue to focus on AFOL's as a very lucrative market, that they've only recently begun tapping into.

I think the Modulars are as close to an AFOL Evergreen as we will get at this point. They will keep coming its just a matter or question of how frequently.

I think the Modulars are as close to an AFOL Evergreen as we will get at this point. They will keep coming its just a matter or question of how frequently.

I agree. And even if they do cancel the series I'll still continue to build my own (sixteen so far posted here in this forum and the half-dozen or so that haven't made it, so far, to eurobricks).

I cannot imagine the modulars going away any time soon. They have held on for several years now, and it seems like the demand for them is increasing as new AFOLS's come out of their dark ages and the kids get older. Plus, they do not need a licensing agreement. I have learned a great deal of building from putting some of them together. My first completed MOC will be a modular designed to blend in with the others. Anyway, the designs on all of the modulars have all been inspiring to me.

TLG will proceed with the modulars... they get older people back into Lego again.... When i show people/friends/family my modulars, most are stunned and are very interested.... This is a great way to suck people into AFOL-ity...!

Well, the Modulars got me interested. When I turned 65 last month I started thinking about things I'd never done and building a LEGO was one of them. I grew up with Lincoln Logs and Erector Sets, LEGOs I don't remember seeing. Went to the local LEGO store and the young lady there was extremely helpful. I walked out with the Parisian Restaurant. Since then I've built the Town Hall and Pet Shop. Bought a few others waiting for the grandkids to come visit and help grandpa build them. I'm pretty sure I'm hooked!

Eddie,

You are in fine company for sure! Many of us are hooked on modulars. Jamie Beard is my favorite modular designer, and I always look forward to the new ones arriving in the US.

It is cool that modulars appeal to almost everyone. Kids can role play with them, and adults can redecorate them until the cows come home. Glad you have grandkids to play with you and your modulars. I can't wait until mine are old enough to enjoy modulars (and other LEGO buildings.)

It is also fun customizing a modular, which can be easy to do. Add tiles to the floors and some furniture to the rooms of the older sets. Extend the height by building another floor. Collect the matching color of bricks as they fall in price on Bricklink due to the existence of the modular.

Glad to see you are becoming a modular fan!

Hi. My name is Jason, and I'm a legohaulic. I'd buy the occasional Star Wars or Super Hero set for my kids. I myself hadn't had much play with Lego since I was a wee lad meself. Then I discovered modulars. The pet shop seemed tame enough. It was a quaint little build. However, by the time I completed the set, it was too late. I was bit by the bug. But I'm not ashamed of my habit. Luckily, I have 2 dealers a short drive away. When I need a little fix I drive to an independent dealer in Canton. When I'm hankering for a big score, I go to the main dealer at the Lego store in Cleveland. Being a VIP member helps take the edge off the higher priced items. There's a problem, tho. My 8 year old daughter loves Lego too. She gets her kicks from building Friends and Lego movie sets. Unfortunately, she got to my Mixer set and burned through that in a week. My exo-suit? She knocked that out the day I got. It was hidden in my dresser drawer. When I got home from work, the set was scattered on the table nearly completed. I asked her, "Where'd you learn to build like that?!?". Her response was, "I learned it from you, OK?"

It was one of the proudest moments of my life.

Edited by Colossus

Thanks Legogal!

Colosus, I enjoyed reading your post. I think some of my kids and friends may question my sanity...

EddieZ

Modulars were what dragged me out of the Darl Ages earlier this year. I'm just finishing off Pet Shop, and have the Grand Emporium and Palace Cinema already done. Town Hall may well be next, depending upon my wallet.

But what really caught my eye first of all were the 10230 mini-modulars of the first five buildings. Given that the Parisian Cafe is the 9th in the series, and the rumours/hopes are of a new building in the offing, is there any chance we could see another Mini-Modular set any time soon? I'd certainly be first in the queue if there was!

The advantages I see in the miniscale buildings is the advanced techniques required to attain a level of detail in something so small, and the reduced display space needed for the completed models. Disadvantages are of course the lack of figures and interior details.

I'd be interested in others' thoughts on this.

Ocifant, I can see LEGO doing another minimodular for the sixth through tenth modulars. Without knowing the sell figures for sets, we don't know if the minimodulars were popular or not.

Personally, I did not get them. I don't think they read well visually unless you are really familiar with the modulars they represent. The modulars have a wow factor to them that impress even non LEGO fans. They instantly read of a style of a time and place that seems familiar to many around the world. That is except the Palace Cinema but that does not bother me since I have been to Hollywood a couple of times and it just reminds me of that visit.

If I wanted to work on a reduced scale, I would collect the Architecture line. Those are amazing but I buy too many different LEGO themes as it is already.

Edited by Blakstone

My local manager said the mini modular sets did not sell well, read into that what you want. I liked them but did not get them either. I just love the idea of having a Lego city block and while I do not have Corner Café or Market Street and likely can't afford them, I am pretty content with the others I have. Most of us would recommend picking up the Haunted House if you can still get it as well...sure it doesn't fit like the others, but...it is cool to have that one house at the end of the block that you don't want to go near so to speak.

I think the big issue I am facing is running out of room after 2 more sets. Not sure what I will do then, reconfigure the block for sure. I also bought the city roadplates, but had to take them out, still, for the car on Cinema, that was cool to have. I have also been thrilled by the polybags they put out that add to my block, for example, I have 2 hot dog vendors around the block and a balloon cart.

Reading Colossus post makes me smile too...I also like the Architecture line...mostly for me, I stick to Modular, Architecture, the Lego Ideas/Cuusoo line (missing the first Shinkai one though) and special sets like the Mini and then daughters like technic and Friends. I might have to pick up the GOTG sets though, we all loved that movie and the kids would love a Lego Groot.

It's a safe hobby at least, when you get tired of it, the price will never drop on selling.

I had considered the mini-modulars but thought it was priced way too high given what you get. It's funny, but now that it's no longer available, I have a little regret. :) And I would probably feel much worse if they release another mini-modular set.

I picked up my 10230 cheap(ish) on Ebay. The architecture line is something I've considered, but several of them seem to just consist of tan tiles, or solid blocks of colour with very litte detail. Though having aid that, the Trevi Fountain is quietly calling to me at the moment...

A question: Is there any consistency of scale in the architecture line, or is each model in its own unique scale?

I actually started with a couple of the Creator line models (Small Cottage and Mountain House), but the lack of completeness - open backs etc didn't really grab me. I see there's a Bike Shop and a Family House in that line too. Any thoughts on Price-per-Part value in those? Is it worth getting them for building up a collection for future MOCing?

I don't see much consistency as to scale within the architectural line. Some of the smaller sets (Empire State, Willis tower) look like they are better suited as souvenirs than as something a true AFOL would want. But look at the empire state, for example. No matter what you do, no matter what the size, it's going to be a pretty repetitive build. The cream of the crop are the Frank Lloyd Wright buildings. Good detail, good piece count. The imperial hotel is very nice.

I almost said 'I don't see ANY consistency as to scale'......but we all know where that would lead. :-)

Anyway, put the Empire State Building next to the Willis tower next to any other one of the arch series and you'll see, scale wise, there isn't much relevance between them. But, I don't think lego intended there to be. They stand on their own as individual works.

agree, those early smaller ones...I think were just to whet appetite and see if a line like that would sell...Sears Tower is same height as Seattle Space Needle...I wish they had all been the size of Pisa at least and Rockefeller Center, sheesh, why bother on that one, so I will say it for you, no consistency at all, would be cool if one where modular size so we could use that as museum, like say Guggenheim...nice small build but would love to see a $300 modular size Guggenheim

About the mini-modulars; that was the set that got me into the real modulars as well. The building techniques used to achieve the resemblence of the original sets are sometimes ingenious. Using all the small pieces makes it a lot of fun and it's still one of my all-time favorites.

On a different note, I've bought a few of the architecture sets. And while they are quite fun to build, they are not very accurate, mostly because of the small scale (especially old style buildings like the Trevi Fountain). They have all gone straight to the parts bin directly after I completed the build. :classic:

Edited by bjorn77

the description says 204 pages, so I am not sure if they have full instructions for any certain building or just tips on how to construct walls and such, I did check out the Brick City Depot and it has the instructions for sale for a lot of cool buildings, including some I have seen on here, but...for me, great to have instructions, sure, it's getting the bricks to build them that counts. That is why I get antsy and such to have TLG get product to the stores, I am one of those consumer types that says just give me the box with the parts and instructions and I have fun...being creative on building is not my forte at all.

Edited by Herky

I bought the Mansard Row House instructions from Brick City Depot. They are essentially a MOD of HH. They are quite helpful in allowing one to get a feel for MOD/MOC construction. I used the instructions to build the green version and a blue version. I'd never visited their website before since my only dealings with them were through eBay. After looking over their products, I really like some of the vehicles/trucks that are on display. May have to order some of them.

About the mini-modulars; that was the set that got me into the real modulars as well. The building techniques used to achieve the resemblence of the original sets are sometimes ingenious. Using all the small pieces makes it a lot of fun and it's still one of my all-time favorites.

On a different note, I've bought a few of the architecture sets.

(...)

They have all gone straight to the parts bin directly after I completed the build. :classic:

I have a few architecture sets in my build queue. I like the theme and even the prices are ok if I'm really interested in something. However, like the mini-modular set, the sets I really like are no more. I bought the architecture sets I have now on sale with the intention of building them once before using them for parts.

Edited by m0dulo