The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

I remember reading about a pattern/theory on here at one time. We know it's going to be a straight building, unless they switch that release pattern on us. But, judging from this pattern:

10182 Cafe Corner--business

10185 Green Grocer--residential(albeit first floor business)

10197 Fire Brigade--government

10211 Grand Emporium--business

10218 Pet Shop--residential

10224 Town Hall--government

10232 Palace Cinema--business

10243 Parisian Restaraunt--residential

Going off of that theory, we 'should' be getting a government building next. In that regard, a post office or library would be fantastic. I know there's many theories on how to decipher what could be the next release. This is my preferred theory.

Edited by Legocrazy81

Going off of that theory, we 'should' be getting a government building next. In that regard, a post office or library would be fantastic.......This is my preferred theory.

I just can't see the appeal of a Library, or to be honest even the Post Office. If the theory holds up then maybe a Police Station would be interesting, but I'm hoping for a Car Repair Shop.

I guess we'll find out soon enough....

I really hope for library or post office. But I think both of them have structures which usually aren't that big so we might get something like Parisian Restaurant size.

Post offices are becoming more and more specific to the country in which they are located. I don't think I've been inside an American post office in over a year. Our deliveries are usually UPS or FedEx. We ship FedEx ground or UPS. Stamps, when we rarely need them, are bought at the grocery store. So, at least where I live, the post office is largely irrelevant. Many have closed or combined operations. If you want a blast from the past, there used to be a lot of large American post offices with, at times, great architecture. I don't have a preference as to what comes next, as long as it's not another PR type building.

A car repair shop/dealer would be great.

Edited by Off the wall

Well lets not forget the Modulars seem to be based in the 1930s or so, as such a post office would make sense in the time period. Would be a great opportunity to get a couple yellow bicycles (Don't know if you have them in the US but in Europe it's common to see postmen use them. And I agree an old fashion car repair shop would be awesome, I can picture it, with a nice small vehicle, a car lift, and maybe a small living space in the second floor. I also picture a bank with lobby on the first floor and a vault and managers office on the second floor.

Maybe there will be more building-related narratives relating to love.

PR: proposal

TH: wedding

GE: wedding clothes

PC: a date place

Perhaps:

• Bakery: have a wedding cake with a pair of figures on top, using the trophy brick. They already have a 'man' trophy but they could create a woman trophy too.
  • Diner: a dating place. I would love to see a jukebox, booths, and wrap around counter. Not sure how to make it modular since diners are usually a one-floor structure.
  • Gas station: I seriously doubt they would make this, but the classic full-service gas stations were so iconic. They can have a car with a just-married sign and some cans strung to the back. Maybe a combination diner/gas station is possible.

i could handle a mechanics workshop, that incorporates a garage roller door. we havent seen that since the FB.

I am a total geek so the idea of a library makes me squee with joy (very hopeful). I can totally see a Bakery but I think it would be too close to a restaurant.

So far, the 'modular buildings' have been multi-story bulidings where the middle section can be duplicated to expand the building. And there is a early-20th century retro vibe to the series (if you can ignore the Town Hall computer). I wonder if LEGO will continue to adhere to these attributes. If they do, then it would keep out ideas such as a gas station / service center or a diner, which are usually single-story buildings with limited modular-expansion possibilities. But maybe they will loosen up things a bit and allow short retro buildings, as long as quality and detail is maintained by keeping it at the $150+ price point.

It is pretty common to see a pharmacy / dinner in the multi story downstyle. You could even have office / residential above them. Each business could be a 16 wide building with an interior door connecting them.

I am more interested in the architectural style of the outside than the buildings function though. I would love a Gothic Revival style complete with gargoyles on it.

Post offices are becoming more and more specific to the country in which they are located. I don't think I've been inside an American post office in over a year. Our deliveries are usually UPS or FedEx. We ship FedEx ground or UPS. Stamps, when we rarely need them, are bought at the grocery store. So, at least where I live, the post office is largely irrelevant. Many have closed or combined operations.

Over here we don't have real post offices anymore. The last one closed over two years ago. The services have indeed mostly moved over to regular shops and almost every town has some sort of collection point at which some more services are provided.

Lego has moved away from postal services also, it seems. In the past they had some nice postal services stuff, but of those there hasn't been one in a long time now. So, I'm not too shure thay'd do something like that.

But it could be great, especially if they got some inspirations from the great ones we had over here:

utrecht-postkantoor-08793.jpg

800px-Postkantoor_Neude2.jpg

(this is actually the last Post Office that closed in the Netherlands, in Utrecht)

Post offices in the UK do a lot more than provide postal services. They do banking, insurance and sell stationary, as well as provide services such as car tax, pensions, travel money. Some of the smaller village post offices can be in corner shops, in churches and even in pubs.

Post offices in the UK do a lot more than provide postal services. They do banking, insurance and sell stationary, as well as provide services such as car tax, pensions, travel money. Some of the smaller village post offices can be in corner shops, in churches and even in pubs.

So they aren't in fact postal offices any more.

snip

(this is actually the last Post Office that closed in the Netherlands, in Utrecht)

Now that would be a modular building! Wow. Thanks for posting the pics. Of course, it would dwarf the modular light series represented by the forgettable PR.

Edited by Rick
Please don't quote large blocks of text or pictures unnecessarily

Lots of talk about how a post office is no longer relevant. So does that make me really old to say I still use the post office occasionally?

I may not use the library anymore but I think they are still widely utilized today and both would be great modulars as they tend to represent older traditional styles of architecture to fit in with the current line.

A pharmacy is also a wonderful idea. So many great ideas for future modulars on this board. I wonder how many of them will see fruition over time. I'll be worried once I start seeing remakes of the same type of structure.

Libraries in 2014 are largely internet access points.

At least that's what I see in my local and college libraries.

That said, the modular line seems to represent a simpler time. A post offices or library would be welcome in my town.

Libraries in 2014 are largely internet access points.

At least that's what I see in my local and college libraries.

That said, the modular line seems to represent a simpler time. A post offices or library would be welcome in my town.

To me the modular line is in modern times just with old buildings. That in mind they could totally do a post office or library and it would still be relevant.

Theses sets are marketed mainly for adults, who in turn are old enough to remember the original purpose of post offices and libraries. Otherwise, they would abandon all storefront sets and replace them with a polybag containing a single brick: 2x2 black tile with the amazon.com homepage printed on it.

We seem to go back and forth on exactly who these sets are marketed for, depending on the spin we need. A post office would be fine. Just not another PR. Hospital? Fine. Museum. Great. How about a nice brownstone?

Edited by Off the wall

how about a court room, church or gym?! all very different but still relevant in todays society maybe the gym option doesn't provide a great sense from the architecture point of view but certainly the other two options are still operating in old buildings.

We seem to go back and forth on exactly who these sets are marketed for, depending on the spin we need. A post office would be fine. Just not another PR. Hospital? Fine. Museum. Great. How about a nice brownstone?

Just curious, but why does there seem to be more negativity toward the PR? It's probably the same mix of opinions for most modulars but it seems more visible for the PR because it's the latest. I love the PR for its interior details, but I can see how its shortness may annoy others (but it's modular for that reason). If anything, please no more 'modern' buildings like the GE, which was SO boring to build. :)

Didn't we get a brownstone in the PS set?

I know the church idea has been shot down many times, but are there any other building types with large stain glass windows? The tiny stain glass window in PS was such a surprise and joy.

I would like a true, exclusive, well detailed residential building. Doesn't have to be a brownstone as I've already combined a couple of PS to create one and used the Haunted House as the basis for an additional residential building.

I haven't been to a church service in over thirty years. Yet, I would welcome a church. There are so many opportunities with church buildings. Just because you appreciate the architectural aspects of a building doesn't necessarily mean you agree with the beliefs of those who own/use it. I think the world has become a bit too sensitive.

The PR is too small, the top floor is a joke, the stark harsh white trim is ugly. Also, it seems to be a favorite of those whose vocabulary is limited to the word 'awesome' when searching for an adjective. 'Awesome', the favorite word of the lazy and/or marginally literate. A word that, at least in America, is usually used to describe a rather mundane, common thing or event.

Lego needs to grow a set and give us a church. Now, that would be awesome. :-)

I hope it's more 16-wides like PS. These come the closest to feeling like a real city street, especially the use of a ground floor for a commercial space with residential above it.

I know it's not "modular" but an iconic diner like this is high on my want list:

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/56095

Though it's disappointing Nathan's diner isn't getting more votes, so maybe I'm in the minority on this one.

Either way, I'm excited to see what's next.

Just curious, but why does there seem to be more negativity toward the PR? It's probably the same mix of opinions for most modulars but it seems more visible for the PR because it's the latest. I love the PR for its interior details, but I can see how its shortness may annoy others (but it's modular for that reason). If anything, please no more 'modern' buildings like the GE, which was SO boring to build. :)

Didn't we get a brownstone in the PS set?

I know the church idea has been shot down many times, but are there any other building types with large stain glass windows? The tiny stain glass window in PS was such a surprise and joy.

What negativity there is over the PR is actually fairly small, just a few very vocal types who feel it is too small in terms of building volume. Seemingly preferring a big box that fills the entirety of the base plate all the way up. Personally I think PR is one of the best of them with all of its eye catching details.

There was probably far more negativity with the PC, just because the second floor felt a little un detailed.