The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

I still don't ever see myself springing for the PC.

It just doesn't strike me as well done as any of the Modular Buildings and the stickers are the nails in the coffin.

I too thought that the PC wasn't that great looking, but I bought it anyway because I am a bit of a completist with the modulars (except CC).

I actually really enjoyed the build; a lot more than I thought I would. I can't quite put my finger on why exactly, but I like it a lot more now than I did when it was still in the box.

Quite frankly, I am not sure if I would even pick up TH. I would love to be a completest when it comes to modular buildings but Jaime Berard is such a beast at creating the next modular which (in my opinion) puts TH and PC to shame..

Nah, that's not completely fair to Astrid, who does create some wonderful buildings. The TH in particular is a great building if you have room for it. It has some wonderful details throughout. It's actually a better build than the GE, as the upper floors are more varied. Yeah in some ways it can be viewed as a big box. But that's pretty much any public building. It's biggest negative us that it's overall look and lines has a certain similarity to FB.

The Palace Cinema is not without its flaws. Mainly being the theater itself inside. The exterior is gorgeous and an incredibly complex and fun build. The stickers for the movie posters are understandable. Those for the marquee less so. Not perfect. Certainly not as good as say PR or FB, but an A list Lego set nonetheless.

Certainly not as good as say PR or FB, but an A list Lego set nonetheless.

Good to know. I plan on buying Palace Cinema (or Parisian Restaurant) as my first modular building whenever the next triple points event rolls around. Given how enticing the exterior looks, I think I can live with some interior sacrifices, especially if I can spruce it up with my own ideas.

I was contemplating the Pet Shop, knowing that it might be next on the chopping block and because it essentially offers two buildings for the price of one large construction. However, the exteriors don't have the same pop as PC or PR — at least from what I've seen. So in that case, I'd expect the interior to make up for that (in theory, a reverse of PC). Perhaps between now and later in 2014 if the Pet Shop is still around, I may read opinions or see something that sells me on it as being worth a purchase ahead of the other two I'm most interested in. But given the discussion I've been seeing, I don't expect it to last beyond 2014.

Re: Palace Cinema stickers... I think once they decided they were going to go with stickers for the posters (and given the probable challenges of double-sided printing on clear plastic, I don't think it's unreasonable), they decided that they might as well just go with stickers for all the non-repeating parts (i.e., everything not the Walk of Fame stars). As for the interior... I can't fathom why they didn't just put a third row of seats in to begin with. They fit easily and that small change makes a huge difference to the upstairs.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I really like the Town Hall. It does a great job of replicating the "real-world" functions of such a building, with a well-detailed interior, nifty elevator build (how do you make a stable building that doesn't quite connect all the way around? here's how...) and imposing presence. It's a big box with ornamentation... that's what a lot of those buildings are like.

Edited by polarscribe

At first, I was planning to get GE as my first modular, but I ended up getting PR instead. I dunno, I think the PR is more elegant and less unwieldy compared to GE. Space is kind of an issue, and 3 huge layers of building doesn't sound as appealing to me now than it did before lol. I may still go for it before it retires though.

Palace Cinema was my first modular. I agree that the stickers are a bit of a bummer, but I love the exterior build. So detailed and cool.

Having bought and built every modular from GG onwards over the past two months, I cannot imagine skipping ANY of them. They really show how the designers have grown more sophisticated, and how much more can be done with a couple new molds each year. That said, I cannot see myself ever going back and BLing either MS or CC as they would be such underwhelming builds at this point.

Having bought and built every modular from GG onwards over the past two months, I cannot imagine skipping ANY of them. They really show how the designers have grown more sophisticated, and how much more can be done with a couple new molds each year. That said, I cannot see myself ever going back and BLing either MS or CC as they would be such underwhelming builds at this point.

I completely agree with you! The earlier Modulars are not nearly as beautiful as the newest ones! Town Hall was my second Modular build and I quite love it. Yes it is big, but it's the only one I'm not going to buy 2 of to make bigger.

Don't underestimate the power of Cafe Corner. It is truly impressive once built and sitting on your table in front of you.

Don't underestimate the power of Cafe Corner. It is truly impressive once built and sitting on your table in front of you.

I don't have that kind of money though.

Bricklinking it is nowhere near as expensive as you may think, most of the parts are pretty common and you can sub out the rarer parts.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I really like the Town Hall. It does a great job of replicating the "real-world" functions of such a building, with a well-detailed interior, nifty elevator build (how do you make a stable building that doesn't quite connect all the way around? here's how...) and imposing presence. It's a big box with ornamentation... that's what a lot of those buildings are like.

For me it is the same. I loved building Town Hall. It had so many great thing in it, like the pilars in front, the mentioned elivator en interior, and let's not forget, the minifigs. For me; every modular has it's own charme, and i have them all from CC. The create a great row of buildings and i hope TLG wil produce them for many years to come. So Jamie and Astrid, if you read this, this AFOL is a big fan of your work and it is you guys (girls) that made me come out of the Dark Ages.

+ one loving the TH.

I dont know why so many ppl imply dislike. I think it's one of the best, with enough size and room to fit your hands in. It's meant to large and grand, as it's the Civic centre of a town.

I own every modular building Lego made so far and love the progress in details each building has, compared to the previous one. But if I had to rate them, the Cinema is my least favorite. Mostly due to the use of stickers, but also the overal feeling that the building isn't finished. Open windows (no 'glass' in them) on the top floor, the use of stickers, the 'poor' interior... Still, I don't regret buying it.

Can't wait to see what Lego has up its sleeve to follow up on the Parisian Restaurant!

Do you guys remember how early we knew the next modular would be a restaurant long before the official presentation of PR? I remember reading about it during the summer of 2013, which is when I joined Eurobricks, but the rumors might have been out before. So based on previous modular releases, is there a possible timeline of when we might learn the name of the next modular?

There was speculation about a restaurant since before the Palace Cinema even came out because of a vague post Jamie Berard made on the LEGO message boards, but from what I can tell, the name of the Parisian Restaurant first surfaced last July, we got pictures in October, and it of course came out in January.

Maybe someday, but having bought seven modulars in two months, I'm going to have to hold off if I want to stay married.

:)

I was contemplating the Pet Shop.... because it essentially offers two buildings for the price of one large construction. However, the exteriors don't have the same pop as PC or PR — at least from what I've seen. So in that case, I'd expect the interior to make up for that (in theory, a reverse of PC).

True, the exteriors aren't as architecturally distinct but still contain a lot of neat details. I like PS for two reasons: it is mostly residential space, which is fun to decorate, and the narrower buildings provide great filler between the larger buildings in the modular line. I'm hoping LEGO comes out with more 16-wide brownstones/townhomes because they really complete the feeling of a city street. I disliked the cutesy pet shop and replaced it with a bar :devil: . A convenience store would work well too. Two of the coolest bits are the spiral stair construction and the bathroom tucked underneath. While the interiors aren't 100% complete like the Parisian Restaurant, they still had some fun microbuilds.

I am planning to get one more modular. Right now, I've narrowed it down to either PS or PC. I'm leaning PS for some of the reasons rob-cubed highlighted, but anyone have any other suggestions to add?

I don't have that kind of money though.

Bricklink it. I just did mine that way recently (BL+PaB+BnP).

Relative costs looked like this:

orig. MSRP < piece-together cost <<< current market value

With all the conflicting rumors and reports about which set will retire next, did anyone ever think that they might actually discontinue two sets at more or less the same time? I seem to remember someone posting a list that showed that two of the first three modulars (I think Market Street and Green Grocer, but I might be wrong) were discontinued within a few months of each other.

Maybe something like this will happen again?

Edited by Roger_Smith

Hi guys, just a quick question.

Does anyone of you put the simpsons house beside modulars? :) Im planning to buy one but im convincing my self that it would fit in. Thanks! :)

Bricklink it. I just did mine that way recently (BL+PaB+BnP).

Relative costs looked like this:

orig. MSRP < piece-together cost <<< current market value

If Bricklinking the CC is around double MSRP or less, than I'll do it. If its way more than that I'd rather MOC something similar.

Hi guys, just a quick question.

Does anyone of you put the simpsons house beside modulars? :) Im planning to buy one but im convincing my self that it would fit in. Thanks! :)

Go for it! I don't really have any rules when it comes to Lego myself. Just about any theme can mix together in my imagination. ^_^

Go for it! I don't really have any rules when it comes to Lego myself. Just about any theme can mix together in my imagination. ^_^

Thank you, sir! :) I guess that would be my next purchase. :) Anyone who has the simpsons house beside modulars? Just a snapshot will do. hehe really wanna see the outcome :D :D

Every downtown needs a suburb! The Simpson's house is a bit overscale next to the modulars, just like the Creator houses are underscale.