The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

I would love for lego to make a school now all my lego children could actually learn but they would have to try not to add a bell tower like the fire brigade

^Where is the architectural appeal there? There would be very little detailing on the outside of the building to make it stand out. The only impressive factor would be lots of windows and lots of height. But at something just a little taller than Town Hall, I'd want something that is a lot more detailed (which means higher cost) which means I wouldn't want something taller than Town Hall. I think TH is hard to fit into most people's layouts because of the height. You need special shelves just to display it.

I don't love how short the Parisian Restaurant is, but I don't like how tall the Town Hall is either. So somewhere inbetween there would be great. I like Fire Brigade/Grand Emporium height personally.

I don't know. Something Art Deco, maybe 5 stories or so would be interesting. Model the top after the evil building from Ghostbusters and we have added play value.

I can't remember which thread it was in, but when I went to the LEGO store this past weekend I asked a lady working there and she confirmed that the next modular to retire tis the Town Hall, not the Grand Emporium.

I can't remember which thread it was in, but when I went to the LEGO store this past weekend I asked a lady working there and she confirmed that the next modular to retire tis the Town Hall, not the Grand Emporium.

We'll, you have to remember that she's just an employee, not a actual lego group worker. They always retire them in year order.

All reliable indicators point to the Town Hall being next to go. Just because the first three modulars retired in the order they were released is no guarantee it will always be that way - three data points don't exactly establish a foolproof model.

All reliable indicators point to the Town Hall being next to go. Just because the first three modulars retired in the order they were released is no guarantee it will always be that way - three data points don't exactly establish a foolproof model.

What "reliable indicators" point to that? A lego store employee?

If the Town Hall is a poor seller does that not mean there may be a lot of them left in stock, therefore it'll be kept in circulation.

Does anyone know how many production runs are made of each set? If Lego don't produce anymore of either set, then the first to disappear will be the popular set.

Hey, don't pick. The managerS (plural) of both of my nearest Lego stores have said that Town Hall is retiring next.

If GE sells significantly more units because of the $50 price difference, then why not retire out of order? Ot wouldn't be the first time that happened across the whole LEGO line, just the first time within modulars.

Edited by rollermonkey

Hey, don't pick. The managerS (plural) of both of my nearest Lego stores have said that Town Hall is retiring next.

If GE sells significantly more units because of the $50 price difference, then why not retire out of order? Ot wouldn't be the first time that happened across the whole LEGO line, just the first time within modulars.

For the life of me I can't figure out why Olivia's House is still available but a whole bunch of other smaller Friends' sets from 2012 (Butterfly Beauty Shop!) have been retired.

Now I though this topic was to do with city sets, not modulars or Friend's sets ? :wink:

Let's see what Rick thinks.

Why is it important which modular set retires first... buy the one you want most and just build it.. stop speculating about things you do not have any influence on... For 95% of EB members it is totally not interesting to know what set is no longer available... If so, a set has been so long available that you should have bought it already years ago... ! And if you are a real fan of modulars, you should own all of them already..... SO, has anyone news about the Citysets 2015 ???

Now I though this topic was to do with city sets, not modulars or Friend's sets ? :wink:

Let's see what Rick thinks.

I have moved the posts about which Modular is to retire next to the general Modular Buildings discussion thread.

Why is it important which modular set retires first...

It may influence buying decisions by people who are on a tight budget and can't buy every Modular Building as soon as it's released.

SO, has anyone news about the Citysets 2015 ???

It may be a little early for that, don't you think?

It may influence buying decisions by people who are on a tight budget and can't buy every Modular Building as soon as it's released.

Absolutely. I can buy all the current modulars but my significant other might object to that kind of spending. I was lucky enough to get the fire brigade about a month ago at retail price. The price has already increased by 20-25% since. That's why I want to focus on the next modular to go so I don't have to spend more money than necessary on it later.

Why is it important which modular set retires first... buy the one you want most and just build it.. stop speculating about things you do not have any influence on... For 95% of EB members it is totally not interesting to know what set is no longer available... If so, a set has been so long available that you should have bought it already years ago... ! And if you are a real fan of modulars, you should own all of them already..... SO, has anyone news about the Citysets 2015 ???

I am also in the 5% who thinks it is rather important to know which modular will be gone next. I have a limited budget, but would like to acquire every modular I can get a hold of. My first modular purchase was PC in October 2013. At that point, I knew I wanted to buy the others. The choice to get FB next was solely based on the likelihood that it would soon be retired. Thankfully, it was the right choice. I then focused on GE and PS, because they were the oldest ones still available. I bought PR when it came out and left TH as last in priority because I figured I had some time to get it.

Many people are just now getting into modulars. Like me, they would like to have them all, but do not have the resources to purchase them all at once. It took some overtime and VIP points to help get some of them. I need TH and am now to understand that it might be on the chopping block. Now, I am trying to hurry up and save for that one before it goes. Knowing which one is next to go would certainly help people make an informed decision when purchasing something.

The Lady I talked to said that it isn't that the Town Hall isn't selling well, but the Grand Emp is STILL selling REALLY well.

I wonder how much of this is related to the belief that Grand Emporium will be retiring next. I would bet that many people are now stocking up on GE and sticking it in a closet as "an investment." LEGO could really disrupt their plans if Town Hall suddenly retires first and GE doesn't. Town Hall prices are likely to shoot up because nobody has been stockpiling it, and their GE inventory might not give them any return for quite some time.

I know that GE was the first modular I purchased because I liked it more than Fire Brigade and knew it wouldn't be around long. Luckily I purchased Fire Brigade next, before it was retired. I was planning to buy Pet Shop next, because I like that one more than the Town Hall, but now I'm wondering if that is the right decision.

Retiring Town Hall next would mean skipping two prior sets (GE & PS) in the release order. That would be odd, but not unheard of overall when you consider other lines and unexpectedly short run sets.

Maybe they would retire TH because of its poor sales and so they could release Emmets apartment? Wishful thinking on my part but I wouldn't mind.

My first Modulars were the GE and FB as I got them at the same time 2 years ago. Then a year ago my wife purchased the PS for me which was unexpected, but greatly appreciated. This year I finally got around to buying the TH in February and have begun purchasing the last of my parts for the GG that I started collecting 2 years ago. I have found it quite fun rummaging through all my LEGO's for parts for the GG, CC and MS and buying what I don't have via BL and BnP. Right now GG is the only one I am purchasing parts for outside of what I have found for parts from my current stash. It has cost me about $250 for parts and shipping so far for the GG and I still have 1 last BnP order for about $54 to finish it up. Yes it is more expensive getting retired Modulars but I unfortunately missed out on the first few before I knew about them. I am hoping I can get the CC and MS finished and then get PR and PC before another one is released.

About next ones to be released, I think it would be nice if TLG would do one every 6 months. Release a full 32x32 set at the beginning of the year like they have been and then a smaller 16x32 set in the summer. I think the well sold Pet Shop shows that people like the smaller sections to place between the other modulars. A price point between $80-100 for the 16x32 set would be worth it to me and might actually get more people interested in other modulars.

Edited by stevkir

About next ones to be released, I think it would be nice if TLG would do one every 6 months. Release a full 32x32 set at the beginning of the year like they have been and then a smaller 16x32 set in the summer. I think the well sold Pet Shop shows that people like the smaller sections to place between the other modulars. A price point between $80-100 for the 16x32 set would be worth it to me and might actually get more people interested in other modulars.

Now that would be an awesome idea. A full 32x32 modular in Jan and a 16x32 modular in June.

They could releases houses and such for $75.00-$100.00 each. Imagine how many people would buy them if they were cheap to flesh out blocks.

Looking into my crystal ball, I'm predicting LEGO will focus on additional buildings in the Simpsons line this year. Sets like Moe's Pub or the Quick-e-Mart with a Fall release date... right in time for the holidays. There has been huge demand for the Simpsons house, at least in the US, and they'd be crazy not to monopolize on the popularity of the franchise.

I'd love to see some version of Emmett's apartment building with a coffee shop on the ground floor released, but I don't think they will continue to do movie tie-ins once it's out of theaters. It also doesn't really fit the tone and "playability" of the other sets they released around the movie (mostly vehicles).

Unfortunately I think the French Restaurant was it for big modulars in 2014.

Edited by rob-cubed

Looking into my crystal ball, I'm predicting LEGO will focus on additional buildings in the Simpsons line this year. Sets like Moe's Pub or the Quick-e-Mart with a Fall release date... right in time for the holidays. There has been huge demand for the Simpsons house, at least in the US, and they'd be crazy not to monopolize on the popularity of the franchise.

I'd love to see some version of Emmett's apartment building with a coffee shop on the ground floor released, but I don't think they will continue to do movie tie-ins once it's out of theaters. It also doesn't really fit the tone and "playability" of the other sets they released around the movie (mostly vehicles).

Unfortunately I think the French Restaurant was it for big modulars in 2014.

Unfortunately Lego already said no to Moe's Pub, no alcohol related sets.