The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

1. Police Precinct House - Not a full blown Police Station or HQ, will all of the modern trappings, like they get in city. A classic street facing Police Precinct House, like we have seen in hundreds of cartoons and movies and TV shows over the years. We all know what it looks like. Stone building, steps leading up to a large arched door. colored lights or lanterns flanking the door. The key thing is how to do it in a modular without it looking grim and dull and like a fortress. well how about this.

http://www.policeny....ttannorth1.html

The classic New York City 19th Precinct building. It looks almost perfectly tailor made for conversion into a Lego modular. Nice architectural details and bits that would make for interesting builds. Some nice pop of color with the windows and doors. Contrasting stonework colors. All it needs is a classic Black and White patrol car sitting out front and you have the perfect set. Details inside would be the traditional raised Sergeants Desk, some desks for report writing and such. The Captains Office, and a holding cell or two to keep the naughty in until they can be transferred "downtown". (seriously not joking about this. Just look at this building!) :drool:

That's a gorgeous building, but its design shares a lot of DNA with the Fire Brigade - front facade segmented into three tiers, contrasting stomework colors at the edges... it's a New York building, just as the Fire Brigade

I think a Police Station or maybe doctor's office (in lieu of a fullblown hospital, which I think can't be done on a 32x32 footürint without it looking ridiculous next to the other modulars) are very likely to happen next, but I think (and hope) that the architecture of the next modular will have unique architectural features, just as most of the other modulars.

I think it would be neat if they have a building where you can put inside the mini-modular buildings to represent a scaled model map of the town. This may work for a Museum-type building.

That's a gorgeous building, but its design shares a lot of DNA with the Fire Brigade - front facade segmented into three tiers, contrasting stomework colors at the edges... it's a New York building, just as the Fire Brigade

I think a Police Station or maybe doctor's office (in lieu of a fullblown hospital, which I think can't be done on a 32x32 footürint without it looking ridiculous next to the other modulars) are very likely to happen next, but I think (and hope) that the architecture of the next modular will have unique architectural features, just as most of the other modulars.

The similarities kind of follow. It's a late 19th century NYC municipal service building. Chances are it shared the same basic architecture if not the same architect as many if the fire houses TLG used for inspiration for the Fire Brigade. They don't have to make that building per se. Although it does have some interesting elements that I think would work well for the purpose. Particularly the fact that it isn't an imposing grey fortress like structure. It has some contrasts and some colors. And that square windowed roof office or light well is kind of interesting and would break up a modular towns roofline in a way that isn't another bell tower. I don't think they should make that building, so much as I think it might be an interesting starting point. And really the only readily identifiable alternative for a recognizable police building would be something along the lines of 4 Whitehall, the original Scotland Yard. And that sort of looks like a merging of this building and the Town Hall, all with Green Grocers roofline.

Just stumbling on that one made me think that something like that could easily fill that "family bait" role recently vacated by the Fire Brigade. It even has a color palette not too removed from the Forrest Police Station.

Hi

This is my first post, and I have wanted to post this for a while now. I know there is one for all modular buildings, but that was a while ago. So, what do you want to see in 2015 for the modular building?

I would want a hospital, lego never really made a realistic one. Or maybe a lawyer's office. That would be cool!

If you notice a trend of the modular buildings is that they are all "older" style buildings. I highly doubt that they would build a hospital as most hospitals have a modern look to them.

There's a pretty clear pattern in the buildings thus far:

Cafe Corner (corner business)

Green Grocer (retail/residential)

Fire Brigade (government building)

Grand Emporium (corner business)

Pet Shop (retail/residential)

Town Hall (government building)

Palace Cinema (corner business)

Parisian Restaurant (retail/residential)

The trend suggests that we'll get some sort of government/civic building in 2015. Whether that be a hospital, post office, courthouse, police station (LOL)...

Of course, just because there's a pattern doesn't mean TLG is going to stick to it, so... it's a guessing game.

Edited by polarscribe

Not all modular buildings are old style- look at the parisian restaurant for example. Or pet shop. Or town hall. It seems to be something they do every few years.

Not all modular buildings are old style- look at the parisian restaurant for example. Or pet shop. Or town hall. It seems to be something they do every few years.

Maybe I'm missing something, but how are those not "old style?" The Town Hall, especially, is very vintage.

Those all come off as more older architecture style. If you've ever seen modern architecture, then those are definitely "old style."

There's no reason that a hospital modular has to look like a modern hospital. Hospitals have been around for a long, long time.

For example, this is the original Massachusetts General Hospital building, built in 1811 and still in use today (though it's offices, clinics and research labs rather than wards and operating theatres.)

https://commons.wiki...ch_Building.jpg

The original building of Pennsylvania Hospital:

https://commons.wiki...ginal2_2013.jpg

Moreover, there are 1930s Art Deco examples that could be followed as well.

Edited by polarscribe

Hrafnblod

Yes, but the actual PURPOSE is not, the parisian restaurant inside is more modern, when the palace cinema looks like it's from the '30s. The building may be from the 40s or 50s, but not all modern buildings were built 10 years ago, right?

Hrafnblod

Yes, but the actual PURPOSE is not, the parisian restaurant inside is more modern, when the palace cinema looks like it's from the '30s. The building may be from the 40s or 50s, but not all modern buildings were built 10 years ago, right?

I wasn't even talking purpose though, the architectural design of both looks very consistent with the period of the other modulars. Neither stick out as any more "modern" (in any sense) than the Fire Brigade or Grand Emporium. Maybe the inside of the restaurant, like you said, but even that doesn't really seem it to me.

Edited by Hrafnblod

Well even though the Town Hall seems the oldest based on the year inscription, it's got an elevator and a computer inside it, meaning that the series takes place relatively recently. I'd love to see a building with a more modern storefront on the ground floor with an older building above, like Brickstreet's excellent MOC here.

Considering that the two professions I dislike the most by far are doctors and lawyers, the last two kinds of buildings I'd like to see in the modular series are a hospital and a lawyer's office. So many better options out there. Both hospitals and lawyer's office remind me of problems, big problems, after all, you only want them when you are in big trouble. Not to mention how expensive they are...

By the way, my dad is a (retired) doctor and my brother is a (non-practicing) lawyer.

my prediction of the next modular:

Just like the PR it will be smaller than the rest of the modulars. They will mask the piece count with greebling and interior, but the building itself will be noticeably smaller... but the same price as the larger modulars

We have one general discussion thread for news, rumours and general discussion surrounding the Modular Buildings line. I've merged your thread with it.

Ah, i was gonna start my own topic for this question cause I didn't know where to put it! Here it is:

HOW addictive are the modulars?

Edit: fixed where it said "is as" with "I was". Stupid auto correct :)

Edited by HomerJSimpson

Ah, i was gonna start my own topic for this question cause I didn't know where to put it! Here it is:

VERY addictive. You will find yourself brick linking all the old modulars you can't get anymore too.

Extremely addictive in a number of ways. They are big fulfilling builds with lots of little interesting tricks and sub builds. They are superb models and look better than anything else on display in a home. They just feel more complete than most other sets and play sets, and they are extremely addictive to MOC yourself. The standardized modular footprint provides a good starting point.

I give my vote to HOSPITAL. Lego already has the minifigures and assessories (nurse, doctor, dentist etc) released. All we need is the building itself now.

I am new to Modulars. Just received my valentine's day gift (three modular bundle - GE, PS and PC). We bought them for AU$550

- the RRP in Australia are $250 for GE, $270 for PS and $200 for PC. I think we got a good deal for them (given the exchange rate and tax to pay in the US).

They are all sitting in their nice and sealed boxes. Now the question is which do I start first? I learnt that on avg it costs approx 7 hours to build one modular.

^ I'd suggest building them in order of release just to experience the differences between builds. The creators tend to learn a bit between builds, so each one typically has some interesting techniques. But since you own all of those, build whichever you lie the loss of the least, so you can build up to your favorite!

As long as they keep the same style, I won't care about what type of building it is. I just hope it has an interesting exterior color.

I'm picturing a tall, $200 skyscraper for one of the Modulars. Not extremely tall, but a little taller than the TH. The detail on the outside will be simple, like most skyscrapers/office buildings, and that's how they will have more room for pieces to make it taller.

^Where is the architectural appeal there? There would be very little detailing on the outside of the building to make it stand out. The only impressive factor would be lots of windows and lots of height. But at something just a little taller than Town Hall, I'd want something that is a lot more detailed (which means higher cost) which means I wouldn't want something taller than Town Hall. I think TH is hard to fit into most people's layouts because of the height. You need special shelves just to display it.

I don't love how short the Parisian Restaurant is, but I don't like how tall the Town Hall is either. So somewhere inbetween there would be great. I like Fire Brigade/Grand Emporium height personally.