The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

I bought the Town Hall as my first modular, as it seems to be the best stand alone model. I love the interior,it's definitely the best in the line, and I also love the pillars at the front.

As some professional advice, if you are having problems with your eyes seeing things, always remember the more light the better. And be sure to take a break if you've been working for too long. I recommend for every 20 minutes of near work to look at something 20 feet away for 20 seconds. Really easy to remember, 20/20/20.

Now back to the topic, I don't own the Town Hall yet, but isn't it true that the brick built doors hit the pillars and can't open all of the way?

Edit: Some further professional advice, always see your optometrist for regularly scheduled visits :wink: .

Edited by TheLegoDr

As some professional advice, if you are having problems with your eyes seeing things, always remember the more light the better. And be sure to take a break if you've been working for too long. I recommend for every 20 minutes of near work to look at something 20 feet away for 20 seconds. Really easy to remember, 20/20/20.

Now back to the topic, I don't own the Town Hall yet, but isn't it true that the brick built doors hit the pillars and can't open all of the way?

Edit: Some further professional advice, always see your optometrist for regularly scheduled visits :wink: .

Thanks for the advice!

I don't have my town hall built at the moment, but I don't recall there being a problem with the front doors. It's a great model and I'd definitely put it on the list to get.

Thanks for the eyesight recommendations.

Here's a picture of the doors on the TH. They open to about 70 degrees before clattering into the pillars

9302563285_4f1da1a244_c.jpg

20/20/20!

Thanks for the eyesight recommendations.

Here's a picture of the doors on the TH. They open to about 70 degrees before clattering into the pillars

20/20/20!

I didn't notice that haha, I think I got so caught up in building the pillars and the rest of the build that I forgot the doors open!!

But I am very happy with my town hall, I'm still trying to figure out where to fit it into my town :laugh:

Edited by timmyc1983

The hot dog stand that lego is giving away during July with purchases of $75 or more is a nice accessory for a modular building layout. I ordered $80 from pick a brick and was pleasantly suprised by getting the hot dog stand for free. The stand comes with two mini figs and a bicycle. Don't know if this is available outside the USA or not. By the way, my wife says the lego bicycle seat looks a little uncomfortable, forcing the minifig to stand up and peddle. :-)

The hot dog stand that lego is giving away during July with purchases of $75 or more is a nice accessory for a modular building layout. I ordered $80 from pick a brick and was pleasantly suprised by getting the hot dog stand for free. The stand comes with two mini figs and a bicycle. Don't know if this is available outside the USA or not. By the way, my wife says the lego bicycle seat looks a little uncomfortable, forcing the minifig to stand up and peddle. :-)

I have received one and have another on the way, I think it is worldwide. I am adding the cycle to my modded 60026 cycle shop.

My Green Grocer is complete! I absolutely love it!!!! It's just amazing!

Question for everyone, what have you done with the first floor of the cafe corner? I have been sizing up the interior and before I push forward, I was hoping for some ideas with what people have done with their coffee bars.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions? Anything!

Im just starting out on interiors. I'm still busy with a semi-residential property based in part on the sand green bricks from the haunted house and a ton of sand blue bricks from pic a brick. I'd check out that guys Barnes &Noble/Starbucks for interior ideas. Good luck and congrats on finishing GG.

Hi everyone!

I've just come out of my dark ages by the help of these beautiful modular buildings. I've already bought the Pet Shop, Palace Cinema and the Town Hall and since I can't afford to buy either of CC or GG I'm currently thinking about purchasing either GE or FB. However, I'm also in a serious doubt which of the two magnificent builings to buy next. Unfortunately, being a student I don't have enough money to simply buy them both.

Furthermore, I have ambivalent feelings about these two beauty built of Lego. I love the facade and the billboard of GE, but the interior is rather poor(ish) in my opinion. In contrast, I like the interior of FB a lot, but its exterior is not really to my taste. So, what's your opinion, which one should be my next modular to own?

Or maybe I should bricklink the parts for GG and build it first? (Nevertheless, it would cost a lot more than a brand GE or FB. )

If two sets are even in your evaluation, do some research and then buy the one you think is mostly likely to be retired first. Usually, that will be the one that was released first. Usually. I would not brick link something when there are still buildings I need that can be purchased right off the shelf at the lego store. Also, keep an eye on Amazon for their occasional discounts. BTW, welcome to the obsession. :-)

Edited by TomLego

I just can't decide whichever to buy simply because they are both gorgeous. :D Anyway, thanks for your comment. :)

Hi everyone!

I've just come out of my dark ages by the help of these beautiful modular buildings. I've already bought the Pet Shop, Palace Cinema and the Town Hall and since I can't afford to buy either of CC or GG I'm currently thinking about purchasing either GE or FB. However, I'm also in a serious doubt which of the two magnificent builings to buy next. Unfortunately, being a student I don't have enough money to simply buy them both.

Furthermore, I have ambivalent feelings about these two beauty built of Lego. I love the facade and the billboard of GE, but the interior is rather poor(ish) in my opinion. In contrast, I like the interior of FB a lot, but its exterior is not really to my taste. So, what's your opinion, which one should be my next modular to own?

Or maybe I should bricklink the parts for GG and build it first? (Nevertheless, it would cost a lot more than a brand GE or FB. )

I can fully understand you.

I began with Petshop and bought th Town Hall next - why? because I had the same thoughts as you on the Grand Emporium and the Fire Brigade, but after I have seen reviews here at EB, I fell for the Fire Brigade and have just finished building it last week and I'm glad that I bought it. Fire Brigade has a lot of nice building tecniques and details.

I'm planning to get Grand Emporium too and do some MOD'ing on it.

My Green Grocer is complete! I absolutely love it!!!! It's just amazing!

Question for everyone, what have you done with the first floor of the cafe corner? I have been sizing up the interior and before I push forward, I was hoping for some ideas with what people have done with their coffee bars.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions? Anything!

I'm glad to hear your GG is complete, congrats. And I think the GG is my fav modular, certianly exterior wise anyway.

In terms of interiors for the CC, I've put a couple of pics below here for inspiration, the good things is that there is a decent amount of space on the bottom floor to work with for the cafe, unlike the top floors for the hotel. I planned my interior on LDD before buying the bricks.

8922022873_d52160c0e8_n.jpg8922631244_84ce9726e0_n.jpg8922657238_43dd112383_n.jpg

There's a couple more pics on my flickr as well as pics of the hotel MOC interior I made if you're interested :classic:

Hi everyone!

Welcome to EB and welcome back to the obsession which will take up all your spare time and money :tongue:

I agree with TomLego, your best bet is to buy the sets which are still for sale at the normal price. So if I were you I would buy the FB first and then save my pennies for the GE simply because that's the order that they will most likely retire in. Then once I had all of the current modulars for sale I would BL the GG and CC. And I will also add, I bought the GE and the FB at the same time, and thought I would prefer the GE build, but in the end I preferred the FB, it has some great techniques and mini builds and IMO has a wonderful finish with the brickwork on the second floor. The GE is a great build too, it's just the second floor is a little repetitive...

I look forward to hearing which way you go :laugh:

Im just starting out on interiors. I'm still busy with a semi-residential property based in part on the sand green bricks from the haunted house and a ton of sand blue bricks from pic a brick. I'd check out that guys Barnes &Noble/Starbucks for interior ideas. Good luck and congrats on finishing GG.

Thanks for the idea. I googled some ideas and ran across some plans on the CUUSOO website. I am building the first floor bar area now, than will start into the other 2 floors. The guy who made this also has some killer ideas for the Market Street building, so I may use that also for that build. I have been left substituting different colors though as all the called for pieces do not exist in the colors he's said. So the base of my bar is going to be Dark Green instead of Dark Blue. Overall I think it will pop better with the tan floors and dark blue walls. I am at a impasse right now while I wait for at least a good chunk of the pieces come in. I don't want to build the entire thing and than have to take it apart. I tell you what though, I am starting to think about what modular buildings I want to build next.

Hi everyone!

I'd go with the Fire Brigade, it's been out longer and is due to be retired sooner rather than later. Don't make the mistake of saying you will buy it later. The prices on retired modulars are 3-4 times what they were new. Also welcome to the Modular craze!

I'm glad to hear your GG is complete, congrats. And I think the GG is my fav modular, certianly exterior wise anyway.

In terms of interiors for the CC, I've put a couple of pics below here for inspiration, the good things is that there is a decent amount of space on the bottom floor to work with for the cafe, unlike the top floors for the hotel. I planned my interior on LDD before buying the bricks.

8922022873_d52160c0e8_n.jpg8922631244_84ce9726e0_n.jpg8922657238_43dd112383_n.jpg

There's a couple more pics on my flickr as well as pics of the hotel MOC interior I made if you're interested :classic:

I have to admit, your work is some of my favorite that I have seen. So many great ideas with your stuff, and how you have modularized some of the other buildings is really awesome. :thumbup: to you!

With that being said, (and now that I am already $100.00 into my Cafe Corner Interior), I am going to be going a slightly different route. I am hopping it comes off nicely though. Could you post a better picture of your bar area though. So many great little builds there.

Thank you!

Edited by The Jersey Brick Guy

I have to admit, your work is some of my favorite that I have seen. So many great ideas with your stuff, and how you have modularized some of the other buildings is really awesome. :thumbup: to you!

With that being said, (and now that I am already $100.00 into my Cafe Corner Interior), I am going to be going a slightly different route. I am hopping it comes off nicely though. Could you post a better picture of your bar area though. So many great little builds there.

Thank you!

Thanks :blush: I'm really looking forward to see what you come up with. You don't see enough CC interiors on here!!

I haven't had a chance to take another shot of the bar but will do tomorrow :classic:

Here's a display question. I have managed to accumulate all of the modular buildings plus one MOC. What's the best way to display them? I have a 6 foot long and 3 foot wide table. I can fit seven of the buildings in a straight line on the table. Since the Cinema is a corner building, I can turn the corner and fit up to 14 buildings on the table to form one solid block of modular buildings. But, that means for display purposes, the table will have to be in the center of a room to display all of the buildings in a manner where people can see the front of all of them. In an alternative display, I can add another table (which I've done) and the Cinema is on the corner of a new block of buildings. The tables can, in a more functional design, then be placed against a wall. What is your opinion? How do you display, or plan on displaying, these buildings? I currently have the two table set up with the first seven buildings on one table and the Cinema and a MOC on the new table.

Ideas?

For me I have about the same size table. The way I have them arranged at the moment is, I can fit 21 32x32 baseplates on the table(7 by 3). I basically have them lined up in order, CC, MS, GG, FB, GE on the right side with 2 street plates at both ends. The middle row is all street plates. Then on the left side I have street plate, 10228 Haunted House and another street plate. Then PS, TH, PC and another street plate.

It gives a nice main street look to the display and with the street plates it makes it easy to add another table and continue the layout without having to rearrange things.

Edited by Legocrazy81

Legocrazy81:

Sounds like a great plan. Thanks. I probably need a larger table and make a decision on moving it to the center of the room. It's only my wife and I, we have more house than we need, so maybe I just need to find a larger table and place it in the middle of a room. And add some street plates.

I'm in the process of rebuilding ma cafe corner and can anyone tell me if the 1x2 inverted reddish brown slopes have a smooth finnish to them or the old rough-ish feel? Thanks as I have found both types when looking through my stuff.

Here's a display question.

[snip]

What is your opinion? How do you display, or plan on displaying, these buildings? I currently have the two table set up with the first seven buildings on one table and the Cinema and a MOC on the new table.

Ideas?

I have mine set out in a layout all in a row with my MOCs/MODs in amongst the official modulars. I think that's how they look best if you have the room, all in a row with 'streets' in between the corner buildings where necessary. Table/s placed against the wall sounds like the go :grin:

Here's mine: 9296939605_114d319981_n.jpg