niteangel

Octan Audi R18 LMP (from 60025)

The new 60025 excited me at first, but when it was out, I was so disappointed about the design. The 6-stud to 8-stud transition was awkward. I would say this is more like a starter set. However, the color scheme was good.

At the same time, I was watching the news on the recent Le Mans 24-hour racing, and I was so fascinated by the champion Audi R18 car. Hey, that's exactly what Lego should have done, perhaps! It took me nearly 1 week to research on that car, and 3 days to create this Lego version of the R18. Let's get into the racing tracks and have a look!

Overview of the car:

20130701-01.jpg

The hardest part is the tail. I did 4 versions in total, and I finally adopted this. I used the 1x2x1 piece sideways as the side exhaust, and integrated the brake light into the bottom bumper line.

20130701-02.jpg

Looks ready to dash, right? The crew is doing a fine tuning...

20130701-03.jpg

Reference image of Audi R18: (Google R18 for more images!)

704x396_audi_motorsport-101209-3626.jpg

Okay, after a week I finally completed the modification on the truck as well. And here you go, the transporter!

20130707-01.jpg

I have been struggling for the whole week figuring out whether I should use 8-stud or 9-stud or 10-stud container. 8 is not enough as the R18 is actually a little more than 8.5 stud. 10 is too big and it is so difficult to make it look good with the 6-stud wide truck head. Finally I used the uncommon 9 stud, which is not bad at all. The R18 fits perfectly inside while the trailer can "grow" smoothly from the head using some tilting pieces.

20130707-02.jpg

The tail. Come on quick quick quick! Unload it!

20130707-03.jpg

20130707-04.jpg

So that's basically what it is like after the huge surgery. It doesn't take too many extra bricks, which are mostly used on the base for the trailer, top of the trailer (it is 2 bricks taller) and the racing car. I used the same amount of wheels from 60025 too!

20130707-05.jpg

20130707-06.jpg

Well, the trailer can be detached, as usual. You can see the barrels of Octan petrol stored at the front of the trailer too!

20130707-07.jpg

Maybe I will make a Shell LMP later to compete with this R18. Let me know what you think! :D

Edited by niteangel

Very cool, always happy to see exotic car designs.

And here's a quick tip for anyone who wants to make transitioning from an even number to an odd number of stud width for a truck cab/bed (like from 8 stud to 9 stud):

1zn7vxk.jpg

Simply use a few offset plates on the chassis and you get a solid foundation. No need for tricky or delicate techniques that make the model unstable. Obviously I use technic beams as a chassis but this method can be adapted to other chassis types too.

Not bad racing car there 'niteangel', but isn't missing tail lights ? :wink:

Brick On Race On 'niteangel' ! :wink:

Who this is awesome.

Hey TLG take a look at this, this is something you should make as a set.

Great job, really like that trailer :sweet:

Thanks thanks :D

Not bad racing car there 'niteangel', but isn't missing tail lights ? :wink:

Brick On Race On 'niteangel' ! :wink:

lightningtiger, the tail light is embedded in the bumper, the bottom line of the back :P there is also one under the spoiler! :D guess the opponents will see it clearly, or may not as the R18 dashes in the speed of light, haha!

Thanks thanks :) I want to make the car even lower, but the minifigure cannot really fit in as he is lying down already and the steering wheel cannot find any space to get it.

Also, the mudguard piece also prevents the window from lowering (I cannot push it one stud to the back as the car actually has its seat very close to the front wheels). I will see what I can do later to improve it, and I welcome any suggestion :D

Thanks to Ghost Racer but it will be more constructive if you have some concrete advice :)

Wow! Thats a beautiful! Being a car buff, I never thought anyone on this site would know what a Audi R18 is, even more, build one in Lego! Here is a Audi R18 fun fact:

By 2015, Audi is supposed to make Audi R18s available for street use, not exclusively for the LeMons Race.

Brick On!

Really nice mod, the transition to the 9wide trailer works surprisingly well (and looks better to me than the original trailer with that odd jump from 6 - 8 wide: the only thing preventing me from buying 60025!).

Really nice mod, the transition to the 9wide trailer works surprisingly well (and looks better to me than the original trailer with that odd jump from 6 - 8 wide: the only thing preventing me from buying 60025!).

Same here too, that 6-to-8 part really bugs me, but I like the idea to have the racing car and a truck, and so I research and worked on this idea, and further elaborated it :) Glad it turned out well and that you guys like it!

Thanks thanks :) I want to make the car even lower, but the minifigure cannot really fit in as he is lying down already and the steering wheel cannot find any space to get it.

You could try building the car around one of these or the more modern counterpart. Oh yeah and fantastic car trailer by the way : )

How did you make the base of the car. Was it pe-made or did you make the base your self. I'm trying to make a car like yours and I need to know how to build a good base for my car. Can you help?

That's a great looking car and truck you've got there, I'm particularly impressed with how snug the fit is for the car in the trailer. Any chance more Le Mans racers might make an appearance?

I believe so! I am working on the new Porsche 919 one and see if it can be done soon! :)

Thanks!

Wonderful! I've been working on a MOC based off of the 60053 Octan Racer. I have been unsatisfied with my attempts at the front lip spoiler, but your idea and execution is great. It has me motivated to try new things. BTW, I think the wheels/tires from 60053 would look excellent on your model (even though they tuck in slightly more under the wheel arches than the older wheels.

Edited by BimmerBoy

This looks great! I really hope Lego release some LMP1's in the next wave of Speed champions. Webber's Porsche 919 would look awesome sat next to the GTE car.

Edited by Brickprawn

Thanks!

And indeed, LeMan cars should be added to the new Speed Champions series, especially when LEGO already added one to the Technic line :P