Sign in to follow this  
Matteo1130

Realistic color schemes

Hi all!

I'm bricklinking a ship with a "classic" scheme: brown hull, black sides with a colored line for the guns. The gundeck is uncovered.

I've seen a lot of white gundecks, but only in covered ones, could it be realistic a white uncevered gundeck?

For example a white deck with dark red (or reddish brown) gunline on black sides? I'm asking it because, according with O'Brian's books, sailors were "sanding" with stones the deck every day, so I didn't know if a varnished top deck could be realistic.

I wouldn't suggest white for the weather deck (the decks exposed to the weather, so in your case that the gundeck as it is not covered).

However I don't know much about the historical side, only that they used white to detect gunpowder more easely (in order to prevent fire) but it seems to me that on a windy weather deck it would be quite useless.

Maybe they didn't paint the top decks at all, so gray, (dark) tan would do well I think.

Thanks Sebeus for your suggestion!

According to my building instructions, I could make it these colors: white, red, reddish brown, black or grey. Tan is possible, with a lot of luck in finding pieces, but really expensive.

Reddish brown may be the best choice.. but only if using a white gunline (or the moc would look too dark).

Edited by Matteo1130

You're saying you've seen a lot of white gundecks; do you mean the deck planks, where the sailors are standing, could also be white?

White as in tan, or really bright, painted white? I've never seen that on a ship from the age of sail. Do you have an example?

I have seen white roofs on the gun deck, but as far as I know the deck planks themselves are always some kind of brown shade.

So I don't think a white deck would be very realistic, but on a LEGO ship you can have a bit more artistic freedom of course :)

@Admiral Croissant: you're right. Checking again the Victory and the Grand Turk replica, in some pictures planks are looking very clear and I thought it was a sort of ruined white varnish (because of the color of internal sides and roof); my fault.

This month I've to go to the marine museum in Genova, hope to collect as many information as possible there; unfortunately the Vespucci is sailing right now and I've to wait to see Her.. :hmpf_bad:

I'm starting bricklinking a reddish brown weather deck by the way...

I wouldn't really suggest it. I know that, historically, some weather decks were white varnished, while others were just stained planks. As far as I know, a classic colour scheme for the outer hull would be black with yellow striping on the gun decks.

Edited by ManInATopHat

Thanks all for suggestions :)

...but I have another couple questions (sorry): I know there was the officers cabin (square?) right under captain's, was it correct to place a couple guns, pointing backwise, on that cabin?

Considering the ship I've described, a corvette with guns on weater deck an captain' cabin at the same level: I have the chance to access the entire lower level so, in order to the square may I place there the medical bay, crew hammocks and the hold too, or there were another lower deck even in this kind of ship?

P.S. since I'm modding a "for sale" ldd project, I don't think it's fair from me to post pictures, so hope to explain myself in words correctly..

I'm starting bricklinking a reddish brown weather deck by the way too,thanks 7.gif

Edited by puzzyard

Thanks all for suggestions :)

...but I have another couple questions (sorry): I know there was the officers cabin (square?) right under captain's, was it correct to place a couple guns, pointing backwise, on that cabin?

Considering the ship I've described, a corvette with guns on weater deck an captain' cabin at the same level: I have the chance to access the entire lower level so, in order to the square may I place there the medical bay, crew hammocks and the hold too, or there were another lower deck even in this kind of ship?

On any corvette I've seen, there were no guns placed at the stern below the captain's cabin.

However, it would be possible to have guns placed inside the captain's cabin sticking out through the stern galleries.

On the last picture here, you can even see gunport hatches at the stern.

Here and here, you can see the lines of a corvette. As far as I know, most corvettes had open gundecks.

On the drawings you can see another deck below the gundeck.

On this deck you would have the officers cabins, medical bay and crew hammocks.

As you can also see, the hold is yet another deck below the crew hammocks and such. I hope this answers all your questions properly.

P.S. since I'm modding a "for sale" ldd project, I don't think it's fair from me to post pictures, so hope to explain myself in words correctly..

Of course you're totally free to post pictures of your project. As long as you don't promote your finished product here to sell it.

Great answer, Croissant, thanks a lot.

The LDD project "for sale" is not mine, I bought it, so think to post only if my final ship comes different enough from what I've bought.. (to be honest with the seller).

Patrick O'brian...IMO the best historicl fiction fiction ever written. My first time through, I got a little teary eyed when Jack hoisted his flag, and the death of Bonden, well I still cant talk about that.

Patrick O'brian...IMO the best historicl fiction fiction ever written. My first time through, I got a little teary eyed when Jack hoisted his flag, and the death of Bonden, well I still cant talk about that.

While I agree it is the best historical fiction ever written in English. I really think you should leave such huge spoilers out of a post (or at least warn people). I don't speak for myself as I'm on my fourth run through the series, but I imagine there are still many who've yet to wander into O'Brian's amazing replication of an age not too long past.