AncientDayz

MOC: Cobblestone Street & Bridge, Theatre District

That is so awesome! I love the how you did the curvy brickwork, and the brick road. Reminds me of one of my favourite faces to visit. I love it! :classic:

The ape at the end really put a great finishing touch to an amazing creation! Nicely done.

First, I tend to agree with you about the tiles (assuming the green ones) attached to the bridge. I needed an element of color to the stonework, and that's the best I could think of at 5 AM. That may or may not change as time goes on.

Second, the staircase is actually rather simple after some trial and error. I will post some pictures closer to next weekend (will not be near my stuff early in the week). However, the bottom few steps are just built using the same technique as in Pet Shop or Market Street (using a single stud to connect the bricks as they turned). I tried using this with the upper steps, but it wasn't sturdy at all. So, I used hinges with the bricks below the higher steps, and at the steps themselves, I took the same idea from Pet Shop and Market Street, but I used flat tiles where the single stud would have been because the single stud system doesn't line up with the hinge system perfectly (in fact, that is why I had to "cut" one of the turning steps near the top). That may sound confusing, but I will post a picture or two later this week. To be completely honest, the hardest part was just getting the right patterns that I wanted with the bricks, plates, and tiles that make up the walls as the stairs turned.

Last, you don't ever have to ask to borrow the idea. First, I would be flattered. Secondly, that's why I love this site - to see great builds and learn from each other!

Now I see, I tend to look at MOC's as being beautiful (if they are), rather than looking at the structures and it's almost clear to me! It's not like I have the right pieces to build a brigde like yours, but I'll definitely keep it in mind when I'm considering to build one. My first project, well actually there are atleast three, are modulars and I keep redesigning them untill I am completely satisfied and since I am a perfectionist this might take a while. Some have been rebuilt three times and all will be this summer, except for one, which lacks a proper interior. I'll hope to inspire you as much as you've inspired me if I show my MOC's one day!

E: I'm looking forward to your other builds, good luck with that.

Edited by Phazon

This is a great stand alone build. I agree regarding the questionable need for the bridge when there is a cross walk also. I have heard of some cities requiring bridges over most of their roads so it wouldn't impede the vehicles, which would actually be quite nice in some areas. In my city we have a historic downtown district that has a lot of foot traffic since there are a lot of shops/restaurants in a small space. But of course, vehicles drive through there. It can get quite annoying waiting for everyone to cross the road, so this would come in handy in that situation. But otherwise, the need is questionable. However, the build is gorgeous, so don't think of me as being negative. I love how it turned out. The stairs look great. I like the curve you used.

The Palace Cinema looks neat on its own, but I don't know why they would have two in such close proximity. I hope their ticket sales go through the roof to justify it.

Keep up the great work!

Like some of the others I rather see this in combination with a river or a pond, perhaps within a park, but the bridge itself is very well done. Shaping, colours, textures are very well chosen. Great job on this! :thumbup:

I love seeing such creative roadwork, and that bridge is pure awesome. Deserving of a See it on Classic-Town.net

Awesome bridge :thumbup: :thumbup: The style of the bridge fits perfectly with the two Palace Cinemas :wink:

I was gone a few days and came back to several comments. I just wanted to take a second to say thank you to everyone for the supportive comments and suggestions. Being my first true MOC since my dark ages, I'm really encouraged. Now, to some particulars...

I think I'd like to see a little river running under the bridge with little gondolas moving underneath.

That bridge just rocks, it needs to be over a river or some sunken feature, but it has real charm. Nice job

Like some of the others I rather see this in combination with a river or a pond, perhaps within a park, but the bridge itself is very well done.

I am really starting to like these ideas, especially since I was leaning towards a park for my next build anyway. I may consider adding this bridge to a landscaped park with a stream/pond and build a new road scene for this section of town. Everyone has really got my imagination running. Thanks!

I agree regarding the questionable need for the bridge when there is a cross walk also.

The Palace Cinema looks neat on its own, but I don't know why they would have two in such close proximity. I hope their ticket sales go through the roof to justify it.

To your first comment, I definitely wouldn't take it negatively. I love feedback so I can make my scenes better. As mentioned just above, I am thinking of adding this to a park now and redoing the street. We will see. To your second comment, I actually agree. I just really liked the Palace Cinema so I bought another one (my wife didn't see the need either, but the theatre in my town when I was younger actually was split between two buildings across from each other). I may take up some earlier suggestions, turning one of the theatres into a opera house or symphany hall to add a mixture to my slowly growing theatre district. Anyway, thanks for the comments!

I love seeing such creative roadwork, and that bridge is pure awesome. Deserving of a See it on Classic-Town.net

Thank you very much! I'm honored :grin:

Thanks again, everyone! Keep Bricking!