zux

Technic Link: Chain - technical abilities

I'm moding one of bigger official sets - making a AWD SUV. I have come into an issue with front wheel connection to AWD system.

Technic chain (Bricklink part 3711) could be a possible way to solve my issue, due to freedom of gear location. But I don't know how good this part handles torque? Is it enough to have one chain, or should I get 2 in parallel to be sure it won't break or gets damaged?

How many parts do I need to have 2*16gears connected on a distance of 5 studs/holes between their centers?

Correct me if I'm wrong, chain works with 8, 16 and 24 teeth gears only?

I would suggest a drive shaft and I would also suggest buying about 100 or more of those chain links. They do come in very handy and are good for experimentation. It's possible, as I don't know the scale of your model, that a chain link to a drive shaft could solve your problem.

H

And you should make a very tight chain, so it doesn't break often.

Edit: Chain also works with 40 tooth gears and not with 8 tooth gears.

Edited by bricky300

1 chain will probably break, I think 2 chains ( :tongue:) will work better, but still I dont know if it will handle a lot of torque, and if you do use it I consider buying 200 links and make sure you have something smooth to tighten the chain, a gear or pin holder would work.

I would think you would be better with a drive shaft setup rather than a chain driven one. :classic:

I would also use a drive shaft, my experience with the chains have been bad as they are very bendy and come apart very easily and this is a heavy duty vehicle by the sound of it.

Chains can be used with 14 tooth gears too or two of them put together even.

Edited by SNIPE

Drive shaft would be better.... But if you must make a chain, make it inside out as it can handle a bit more torque, but even so, still not much...

I tried making these, unfortunately they do slip a bit under high stress, but wont break!

9228743712_00f03ca6c6_c.jpg9225966261_e50e92df98_c.jpg

maybe 2 of these together would work!

Thx guys for your thoughts, I might consider drive shafts after all. However I think I might need to test chain too, or it might come handy in the future. So can anyone please comment on below, just to know approximately how many chain links needed for such thing.

How many parts do I need to have 2*16gears connected on a distance of 5 studs/holes between their centers?

Are the modern 8 gears not compatible with a chain?

Edited by Parazels

24 minutes ago, Parazels said:

No 8 tooth gear is chain compatible. The teeth are too short

6 hours ago, Parazels said:

Nope, the teeth can’t reach it. The new version has little notches on either side of the teeth that pushes the chain even farther away, so it does not work.