Sign in to follow this  
Bricktrix

LEGO DCC LMS twins

Hi all.

Thought I'd put this up here, as whilst its a bit of an update on these models, http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=82560

its a different topic considering the operation and tech thats been involved.

So after many many weeks of experimentation, trial and a lot of error, we finally have both locos fully operational using DCC soundchips and control.

The idea was to implement the DCC soundchips into the LEGO locos, but then use LEGO DC controllers to opperate them. In principal, that does give some of the basic sound functions, but the logistics and problems involved during this experiment has resulted to using full blown DCC Controllers. It just made sense to go that route given the options available in comparrison to loosing many features if using standard DC control, plus the route I will be taking with other LEGO engines in the future having more with soundchips, will make my whole display easier to opperate.

We had a lot of initial problems with gaining smooth slow running operation, but persistance has prevailed and now either alone or both of these engines together (in consist) have very smooth low speed operation and are capable of pulling a heavy rake through curves at the lowest speed settings, through to the heighest, so I'm very happy :)

We have managed to sync the engine sounds to the speed of the motors, although a little more fine tuning should get them even better, the same with the braking sounds, so below are a couple of test videos to show how they opperate.

We still also need to wire all the lights in and sort them out correctly.

For those who wish to know the techy bits, the soundchips are Loksound V4's and they are being controlled by an NCE Powercab with 5 amp supply system. Highest track draw has been upto 1.9 amps under full load with 2 locos in consist, using many of the function features which all add to the draw.

I'm pretty sure the blue Pullman will be next on the list, although as thats another diesel, I may try a steam one next in something like my Castle class.

The goal is to get these all perfected for this years STEAM show in October.

Carl

Love them. The Mk1 coaches looks sexy as, would love the plans for them. I have some of my own design but love to know how you did the roof.

Okay, now stop that. You've already broken the laws of physics with your graceful design and now you have to go and make it run so smoothly too? I refuse to accept this fantastic work (grin). Seriously though, excellent operation superimposed on an already excellent model.