The 8258 and the 8110 are special for me as those were the first technic sets i got. Other favorites of mine are the 42009, the 41999, the 8455, the 8043, 8868, 8480, and of course the 8880

8043 really impressed me with its complexity and playability, and comes with a lot of useful parts (I bought 2 copies!). 8110 was also an instant classic IMO. Very cool set to build, and easy to modify and add new functionality (which the 8110 mod topic is testament to). From the latest batch, I really like 42006. Smaller in size than 8043, but very nicely designed and a pleasure to build.

Edited by jantjeuh

From the latest batch, I really like 42006. Smaller in size than 8043, but very nicely designed and a pleasure to build.

Do you recommend buying 42006? I'm considering it.

Yes, I would definitely recommend it. Great value for its price, especially as you also get some cool new parts like the claw arms.

Edited by jantjeuh

8258 since it is my first flagship set. I had to import to Canada because it wasn't sold in Canada for some reason.

-8880 Super Car: IMO still the best supercar ever. Gearbox to change gears instead of functions, like it should. The set that brought me out of my Dark Age.

-8480 Space Shuttle: Very unique, very complicated and I think this is the single best TECHNIC set and one of the best overall.

I have to agree with you regarding 8880 and 8480, these were always the sets I would have loved when I was a child. It was not until I was an adult in my late 30's that I purchased them and now have them pride of place on the shelf at home.

overall_2.jpg

The collection has grown since this pic :wub:

Jamie

Every once in a while a 'favorite set' topic pops up :tongue:

Well, I can only comment on sets I own:

The 8043 excavator. This is what Technic Lego is about for me. All these functions, all the gears and the building techniques all in one model. And a very playable and very very good looking thing! No question about it.

Second; the 42009 (probably, since I have not finished it yet :grin: )

Third; the 8880 and the 8466 4x4 cars. Attractive design, good functions, good functions, very well designed.

Then the 8258 (crane truck) and 8110 (unimog). Also good looking, and nice functions. Well designed but with flaws (f.i. crane folding is awesome, but cannot lift anything)

The tractor (8284) is also nices, as well as the Towtruck (8285, loved and hated :tongue: ) and the supercar (8070) is very nice. Also check out the lovely B-model (hot-rod)..

For the less bigger sets; the backhoe (8069) and dumptruck are very very nice. The motor (8051) and 42006 Excavator, and the -little- towtruck 9395, and, and..

Well, (almost?) every set is worth owning :blush:

What I like a Technic set to have is:

1. a lot of functions

2. building fun, e.g. learning curve (as with the 8043 or building the crane from 8258: what the hell is going on? how will this function?, what is this gear going to do? The way you are stunned once every part is in place)

3. well designed or new building techniques

4. playability

5. looks

6. parts

Edited by bord4kop

1st place goes to 8653 Ferrari Enzo because it looks just like the real thing (it's classified as a lego racer, but is built with lego technic pieces).

8653_brickset.jpg?ds

2nd place goes to 8043 Excavator because of it's unique gearbox and full RC functions.

TBs_20110115_1c.jpg

3rd place goes to 8110 Unimog U400 because it's the first set with portal hubs.

LEGOUnimogU400.jpegnew.jpg

Edited by The Ghost Racer

I currently have 8069 Backhoe Loader, 9392 Quad Bike, 9393 Tractor and 8110 Unimog U400. I dunno if I can cal any of them favorites, it would have to be the backhoe if any. That's the first one I bought, and the only one I really bought for the model.

The tractor comes in that category too, but it's too small to be a favorite IMO. The quad and the Unimog I basically got for parts.

I will get the 42009 Mobile Crane MK II sometimes, I guess that will become my fav.

- sorry, meant to reply to this post, but my computer won't let me get down under the quote...

BTW - when are the 2H half models being released. As in the past, TRU usually has them first, but I keep checking but nothing yet. I want the 42009 Crane. Seems like in the past years, 2H models usually come out in late June or early July...if anybody has any info on this, please let me know. I didn't look at the pinned postings, too many posts.

Edited by TechnicFreak

My favorite technic sets are the 8110 Unimog and 8043 Excavator. The Unimog because of it's looks and the combination of mechanic and pneumatic functions. The Excavator because of the clever and easy to operate functions (and also the looks).

As a kid I always wanted the 8868, but a few years later I bought the 8880, which is by the way also a fantastic set.

8868 Air Tech Claw Rig. For aesthetics (clear and beatiful design, looks like the real thing, even sounds like the real thing), mechanics (compressor and pneumatic system for the first time), authenticity (pneumatic design comes closest to real one's hidraulic), complexity (tubing is quite challenging). In my opinion it is an all time classic and still impressive.

I know the 8285 doesn't get much love around here (some reasons to hate it are valid;only early releases had silver parts), but I think it's a very good set and one of the rare examples of an outstanding alternate model that is just as good as the main, and uses most of its parts. Plus, the intructions to motorize it with 8287 are for the alternate model, not the main. I have to say though, I had lots of fun motorizing the main model with that same 8287 motor. Lots of space to place it in the upper middle of the truck!

8285-1.jpg?0

Edited by SheepEater

- sorry, meant to reply to this post, but my computer won't let me get down under the quote...

BTW - when are the 2H half models being released. As in the past, TRU usually has them first, but I keep checking but nothing yet. I want the 42009 Crane. Seems like in the past years, 2H models usually come out in late June or early July...if anybody has any info on this, please let me know. I didn't look at the pinned postings, too many posts.

Me no understand under quote :laugh:

It's been stated that the 2H sets will be available to buy at August 1st.

Well, this has been asked many times before, there is a search function you can use to browse previous topics. But anyway, my favorites....again :classic:

In no particular order:

Unimog U400, 8455 back hoe, Air tech claw rig, Daytona VX4 supercar (8880), Space shuttle, Control center 1 and 2, Test car, Dakota wrecker 8858, Pneumatic front end loader 8439 (I feel for the guy who sold it to buy the new LA version!), Flat bed truck 8109, most of the universal sets tho I think 8064 in my favorite, Mobile crane 8460 and Helicopter 8856, 9396 is also good just not as fun to build and not as innovative as 8856 was for it's time.

I know the 8285 doesn't get much love around here (some reasons to hate it are valid;only early releases had chrome parts), but I think it's a very good set and one of the rare examples of an outstanding alternate model that is just as good as the main, and uses most of its parts. Plus, the intructions to motorize it with 8287 are for the alternate model, not the main. I have to say though, I had lots of fun motorizing the main model with that same 8287 motor. Lots of space to place it in the upper middle of the truck!

Whenever I display my modified ones they always get plenty of attention, they look even better with the Metallic parts replaced with chrome.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=5725691

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=5725696

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=5725707

well, here my 2 ct

Gold medal (In no particular order): 8880, 8868, 8258, 8455, 8459 (all of them are perfect in all criterias without any drawback)

Silver medal (dito): 8421, 8110, 8479, 8485, 8480 (complexity, innovation, very good B-Model)

Bronze medal (dito): 8448, 8466 (wheels, optics and first of all the door mechanism!), 8043 (complexity, could also be a silver medal), 8858 (best suspension ever), 851 (so cute, so cool done), 856 (so cute, so cool done), 8846 (so small, but so well done), 8431 (one of the best cranes)

For this ranking the new 42008 and 42009 are already taken into accout!

But this does not mean, that other sets are all bad, in contrary, i know many other good sets - but these above are the best ones... IMHO

I know the 8285 doesn't get much love around here (some reasons to hate it are valid;only early releases had silver parts), but I think it's a very good set and one of the rare examples of an outstanding alternate model that is just as good as the main, and uses most of its parts. Plus, the intructions to motorize it with 8287 are for the alternate model, not the main. I have to say though, I had lots of fun motorizing the main model with that same 8287 motor. Lots of space to place it in the upper middle of the truck!
I love that truck but i haven't it :( So I didn't remeber of it.

8285isosmall.jpg

Edited by The Ghost Racer

Of the sets that I have built, these are my favorites.

Studless Contruction - 8258 Crane Truck.

Studded Construction - 8860 Car Chassis

Hey guys u does anyone known what type of fetures has the Lego Technic motocros bike set has ?? LG42007a.jpg

Edited by Legofan225

Too easy...

Piston engine driven by chain, suspension and steering?

Bit off topic, no?

A easy to build yes ?? well is it an off topic l don't known

Edited by Legofan225