Sign in to follow this  
BEAVeR

[MOC] Micro X-wing & TIE-advanced

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

It all started a year ago. I was following toomuchcaffeine's project on cuusoo (micro star wars scenes), and in the comments he said he had trouble making an X-wing. I could spare some time, and I started building myself, in the hope that I could contribute to that wonderful project.

I wondered how small I actually could go making the X-wing. I wanted to make it instantly recognizable and yet very tiny (those official micro models from the planet sets are great, but you can't call that micro :look: ). So I had to use some odd parts for het most iconic features: the wings. The X-wing got car doors.Once I had that key-feature, I kept the main body simple and focused on the shape. I suggested this design, but (obviously!) it was too big for 2MC's project :cry_sad: (no hard feelings!)

But I started to really like this micro-scale building. I improved my X-wing, and decided to deliver him a friend enemy. The TIE-advanced got shields as wings.

I was happy with this micro build and I made this little scene, complete with pew-pew lasers! (the flick-fire missiles are unfortunately out of scale :grin: ...)

9202251702_751ed8f487_c.jpg

Again, built with LDD and rendered with LDD2POV-Ray.

Then, I amused myself by making a real scene :blush: , with the excuse of letting you see the model from another angle...

9202188746_e89f48935a.jpg

Hope you like it, and if you do: thank you, the pleasure is all mine. Eurobricks is awesome :cry_happy:

Edited by BEAVeR

They look quite fun! I always really like how people can use strange pieces for a micro/mini model.

in fact I have made one even smaller!

Sounds like you've been working on this creation for a while. Sometimes those small models can be the problems that take the longest to solve in LEGO building. I’d say the result is pretty amazing. The car doors for the X-wing’s wings are a great idea, but the black KK2 shields for the TIE x1′s wings? That’s genius. :thumbup:

gallery_5203_163_10909.png

These are great and incorporate some interesting pieces. The only thing that urks me is that there are no cannons on the X-Wing's wings. I wonder if you couldn't reverse those doors so you could attach bars to the the door handles?

This is genius! I was completely stuck trying to design x-wings in the right scale to my new Nebulon B moc, and the I see this elegant solution - thanks mate! ;)

This is genius! I was completely stuck trying to design x-wings in the right scale to my new Nebulon B moc, and the I see this elegant solution - thanks mate! ;)

I love it, BEAVeR! Perfectly recognizable, and I can't imagine how they could get any smaller. Very creative.

Well done! Using the door as the wings was an ingenious idea. I really like the TIE Advanced, I never would have thought using shields as wings.

Those models are awesome, so cute!

Even without lasers the xwing is stil recognizable :classic:

That's the first thing I thought of when I saw the xwing: that would be nice with Mortesv's Nebulon B :sweet:

Thanks everyone for the kind comments. I'm glad you like it.

Sounds like you've been working on this creation for a while. Sometimes those small models can be the problems that take the longest to solve in LEGO building. I’d say the result is pretty amazing. The car doors for the X-wing’s wings are a great idea, but the black KK2 shields for the TIE x1′s wings? That’s genius. :thumbup:

gallery_5203_163_10909.png

Wow... I'm... blogged? That's amazing! Thank you for deeming this collection of 29 bricks (including the lasers) worthy!

These are great and incorporate some interesting pieces. The only thing that urks me is that there are no cannons on the X-Wing's wings. I wonder if you couldn't reverse those doors so you could attach bars to the the door handles?

You as well, thanks for the compliment and the advice. But first of all, this is made in LDD, so no illegal connections are allowed. I've tried to put one of those minifig-levers behind the handle in real life, but that didn't work. I don't think this car doors combine well with other parts...

Relax! You don't have to say it twice :wink: ! No, serious. If you want to use this model, you have my permission and gratitude. Glad I can help someone out. I don't think you'll need instructions for this one, and I think all parts exist in those colors.

If some one wants to build the TIE advanced however, that would be impossible because the wings (shields) apparently don't come in black :cry2: . I'm sorry.

Edited by BEAVeR

I believe you are using bracket 99207 for attaching the doors on the Xwing? That doesnt come in white, but lbg should do fine though :)

Indeed, I used the piece you name. Why am I always using these pieces that don't exist in that color?

But now something totally different... behold my next massive MOC :sarcasm:!!!

9210229178_0eab839d60_z.jpg

Oh well... more something like a joke than a MOC, I guess :wacko: . If you wonder how tiny you can go, there IS a border. At least, now I have a world record on my name...

I put this 5 pieces-counting behemoth together in a record time. Still like the lipstick-pieces though...

Hehe, is it possible to use pneumatic T-bars and technic pin connectors? Dont know if that would hold though, but you would still at 5 pieces :)

Or taps and technic half pins :)

Edited by mortesv

I'd love to use your Micro X-Wing design on an MOC I'm planning. I hope you don't mind, but I had a quick play-around to see if there was a way to add cannons to the wings and came up with the idea of using minifig knives. Of course this is highly illegal and would place the cannons on the inside of the wings - but does that matter at this scale?

door-knife_connection.jpg

AWESOME micro-builds 'BEAVer', some of the most clever use of parts in micro-building I have ever seen.....Brick On ! :grin:

I'd love to use your Micro X-Wing design on an MOC I'm planning. I hope you don't mind, but I had a quick play-around to see if there was a way to add cannons to the wings and came up with the idea of using minifig knives. Of course this is highly illegal and would place the cannons on the inside of the wings - but does that matter at this scale?

That's... brilliant! It may be illegal (and that's why I can't do it with LDD), but it really looks good. I'm glad we can (sort of) work on a same MOC together.

You have my permission to build a whole squadron of these!

PS: now I have an idea for a Y-wing with only 3 pieces. The yellow lamp holder stays, and you put two nozzles (part nr. 58367) in it with the handle parts.