couchsofa

[Digital MOC|WIP] Leif Erickson

leif_erickson_-_cropped.png

This is the Leif Erikson, Hagbard Celine's submarine from the Illuminatus! trilogy. I'm still working on the interior, going with a steampunkesque wood/gold/metal look.

This MOC already features 3 Torpedo banks (fully playable), 8 intercontinental missiles, large flak canons and 8 fully functional engines. All in minifig scale (is there any other scale? ;) )

I will post updates when I have some progress on the MOC, that I can cram into an image. Hope you enjoy my take on this iconic (at least for those who read the books) vessel.

leif_erickson_-_test.png

heart_of_gold_-_test.png

Edited by couchsofa

Wow nice , I would love to see that with some real bricks

*huh* *huh* Impressive work :thumbup: :thumbup: I await to see more details :wink:

Wow nice , I would love to see that with some real bricks

Thanks!

Yes, please.....brick built ! :grin:

In any case, it's an AWESOME design.......Brick On 'couchsofa' ! :grin:

Thank you and about a real version of this MOC ... well, maybe I could afford it (would need to order a lot of golden parts though^^) but I don't have the space for it, too bad :(

*huh* *huh* Impressive work :thumbup: :thumbup: I await to see more details :wink:

A thing of terrifying scale..!

Thanks! It would be about 470cm long in real life :D

Seems very nice! I'd like to see more of it.

Thanks, Bob De Quatre! I will make sure to post some updates soon ;)

By the way, did you have problems with LDD to handle tens of thousands of bricks? I have a project that crashes LDD each time I go above 24900 bricks :cry_sad:

This is a beautiful ship. We really would like to see some more pics of it because it's so big, we need more detail shots. Love the colors and the design so far! :laugh:

By the way, did you have problems with LDD to handle tens of thousands of bricks? I have a project that crashes LDD each time I go above 24900 bricks :cry_sad:

Yep that's about the same limit I encountered, sometimes it's more or less depending on the complexity of the model. I'm running a quadcore with 2.8GHz and 4GB RAM, would be interesting if someone with more RAM has the same limit ...

This is a beautiful ship. We really would like to see some more pics of it because it's so big, we need more detail shots. Love the colors and the design so far! :laugh:

Thanks, I'm currently rendering on full view and closeup of the first deck, on the other hand a smaller rendering just finished and you can find a higher resolution version of the image above here.

Flak Turret, Torpedo banks, Double Sealed Hatch and 2 of the 8 engines

heart_of_gold_-_test_-_details_cropped.png

Edited by couchsofa

Wow... that looks awesome...

I'd love to build a really big SHIP someone day... I believe the present record is 490 odd studs... I think something like this could be close to beating it!

Cool build, I wish I could see it brick built but oh well, I nice render is good too.

Thanks, it really is a pity, I would love to brick build this model in particular.

Wow... that looks awesome...

I'd love to build a really big SHIP someone day... I believe the present record is 490 odd studs... I think something like this could be close to beating it!

Thanks, I think I might be able to top that with the Leif Erikson at about 600 studs of length :D

And here is the closeup from last night:

heart_of_gold_-_test_-_closeup.png

The full view has some problems with heavy reflection because of the extreme camera angles, should've changed the light settings...

heart_of_gold_-_test.png

Wow! this is a large ship!

are those colors pearl gold? then it might not be possible with real bricks, or really expensive if you want to paint bricks (though it's going to be expensive anyways :sweet: )

That's one sleek, HUGE submarine. I could easily believe that tops 600 studs in length: It actually took me a couple seconds to realize that most of the curves on the forward end of the ship were 1-wide slope pieces, at which point I was like, "Holy crap!"

Yep that's about the same limit I encountered, sometimes it's more or less depending on the complexity of the model. I'm running a quadcore with 2.8GHz and 4GB RAM, would be interesting if someone with more RAM has the same limit ...

I've run some tests yesterday as I've 8GB of RAM, and when LDD crashes, it only used 1,5GB... so it's not a memory related issue :hmpf_bad:

are those colors pearl gold? then it might not be possible with real bricks, or really expensive if you want to paint bricks (though it's going to be expensive anyways :sweet: )

Most of the parts are Warm Gold and only a few in Metalized Gold, but yeah, it would definitely be quite expensive.

That's one sleek, HUGE submarine. It actually took me a couple seconds to realize that most of the curves on the forward end of the ship were 1-wide slope pieces, at which point I was like, "Holy crap!"

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoy it.

I've run some tests yesterday as I've 8GB of RAM, and when LDD crashes, it only used 1,5GB... so it's not a memory related issue :hmpf_bad:

So surely it's not an issue of memory size, maybe it's a limitation in geometry that OpenGL can handle. I exported some big models to blender and it wasn't able to load them (I thought about scripting a ray-cast method that deletes geometry that isn't hit, so basically all the internal complexity of surfaces that wouldn't be visible anyway. Would be a nice fix to get big models into the Unity game engine).

Well, back on topic, I got some design on the bridge and periscope done (sorry, haven't had the time to render so this is just a screencap):

interior.png

Edited by couchsofa

Can't you make this on a smaller scale? Then it would be a lot cheaper and still beautiful. Also, I don't think you've got the space for a 4 meters + long ship? :grin:

Can't you make this on a smaller scale? Then it would be a lot cheaper and still beautiful.

Of course, but it's supposed to be realistic on the inside as well as the hull and the minifig scale is great tradeoff between detail, accuracy and playability.

Here is a rendering of the ship with the golden pieces deleted, so the interior and wood works are more visible:

heart_of_gold_-_test.png

As there is a lot of space left in the belly of the ship, I would like to ask you guys if there is _anything_ (doesn't need to be PG13 ;) just send me a pm and will include it as a secret) you want to see added.

There already are lots of pyramids (even with eyes) and of course an initiation pyramid with a golden apple on top (too bad 13 steps were too high :( ) but as quite some time has passed since I read the novels and I've lent them to a friend, I'm kinda lost in terms of the lore. Help me out, please (btw: a nice excuse to read the books again :P )!

Edited by couchsofa