Kumbbl

How to track down the failure reason of the RC racer 8366

Hi all,

i have a somehow special question but maybe there is a expert for such things out there...

I want to reactivate my 8366 RC racer. But it does simply nothing when pushing the knobs on the remote control...

What i have check so far:

- The batteries have power (checked with another batterybox)

- both motors and cables are working perfectly - checked by powering them from another lego batterybox

- both channel switches are set to the same channel

But now i'm at the end of my wits - how to track down other possible errors, e.g. how to check if the remote control unit itself is working - without owning another counterpart?

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Edited by Kumbbl

Hmmm, that Lego Supersonic RC set doesn't work for you? Did you check whether the antenna is screwed all the way into the receiver module?

x429c01_11.jpg

8366-1.jpg8366_Minisonic_RC_01.jpg

i'm quite sure - i have screwed it in until there is no further spin possible...

BTW: Is there a way to check if the receiver module itself is working, ie. activating it without the RC-unit?

Maybe it sound stupid, but:

did you turned on the RC Unit on?

070.jpg

Is the remote his battery also new?

But it does simply nothing when pushing the knobs on the remote control

If I understand it right, the steering doesn't work too?

Maybe it sound stupid, but:

did you turned on the RC Unit on?

huuh? as far as i can see the RC-unit itself has no power switch?

Only at the bottom of the receiver unit i found a power switch?

so: does the RC-unit have a switch too? where?

Is the remote his battery also new?

yes

If I understand it right, the steering doesn't work too?

neither the steering nor the propulsion

With RC Unit I mean the receiver. The RC remote has indeed no power switch.

EDIT:

- Is the 9V battery in the remote on the right makrs: + on +, - on -?

- Does the auxiliary plug work?

- This is a complete gamble, so forgive if this won't work:

Do you have an old RC toy, with a frequention of 27,145 MHz? According to the manual is the frequention 27,145 MHz. Maybe you can try with that remote.

073.jpg

Edited by fresko

With RC Unit I mean the receiver. The RC remote has indeed no power switch.

this one i have switched on...

one question: what is the purpose of the "padels" on the hand-unit? I mean not the steering or propulsion knob but these two padels?

Edited by Kumbbl

one question: what is the purpose of the "padels" on the hand-unit? I mean not the steering or propulsion knob but these two padels?

This is for the auxiliary plug (the gray) on the RC receiver. You can attach an additional motor on it

6272c01.gif?0

Edited by fresko

Too bad you have a problem :/ it is an awesome model!

First of all, be patient. I strongly hope that u manage to find and fix the problem :)

I'll share my suggestions to troubleshoot the problem:

After you switch on the rc unit (receiver) make sure all the batteries make proper contact with the battery nests underneath.

The rc unit should receive signal from the remote even without antennaes from a short distance ( less than half a meter )

Also, did you try and see if it works on all 3 channels ?

You could open the RC Unit using a phillips screwdriver tinspect it. Check if there are any unsoldered cables for example, or any other obvious faults.

Maybe the remote itself could be the culprit, so check that too.

Good luck!

I had the same problem a couple of years ago, have you checked if there are no leaking batteries, and if all batteries are placed correctly? Than by me there was first a problem with the wires on the motors not placed correctly an second, there was a problem with the antenna which had a bad contact. I once placed a non lego rc antenna in the lego remote and it damaged the screws where you turn the antenna in.

The paddles are for 1) controlling the different speeds by the 8675 outdoor challenger which uses the same remote and 2) like Fresko said, controlling the auxiliary output in the rc unit of 8366 or 8475.

Greets,

Tibivi

Sorry to hear you have a problem! I have noticed on mine that the receiver antenna is very 'weak' probably due to play over the years of its life. If my antenna is not screwed tightly in it will not work. This suggests to me that the circuitry inside has a poor contact or something has come loose.

I can't suggest anything else that has not been said. If it were me I would take it apart! haha, but I know a fair bit about electronics.

Hope you can fix it! :laugh:

Your best bet is to find another lego fan on this board who lives nearby, and willing to lend you his remote ...

I've seen several times already that transmitters getting broken. Is it known what actually burns? Or, in case transmitter burns -> trash bin?

Edited by zux