mortesv

[MOC] UCS Nebulon B - Medical Frigate 'Redemption'

Holy cow!! I don't even need to squint to mistake this for the studio model. This is up there with Marshall Banana and Cavegod's work.

Well done sir I am in total awe!!! :wub:

Regarding the stand, I opted for transparent so it doest conflict with the model. Even though it could be held in the middle it wouldn't be very sturdy and having 3 black stands to support it would not be the prettiest I think - but I am open to suggestions :classic:

I agree. Two black stands would probably be okay, but the problem is that the height of the spine compared to the rest of the model means that at least one of the stands would be really tall, and it's not wide like the Star Destroyers, able to partially block the view of the stands from most angles.

I agree with Brickdoctor that stands block the view. If you look at the one on cuusoo you can see that.

I think you won't take it apart right? you could fix two huge pins on the wall and rest it on them, or make huge Lego pins on a stand and cover the stand itself with a picture of the stars.

Edited by TWP

I agree with Brickdoctor that stands block the view. If you look at the one on cuusoo you can see that.

That's not what I said. I said that the model couldn't hide part of the stands from view like the Star Destroyers can, and the stands would be really tall.

That's your first Star Wars UCS MOC, Morten ?!

Holy Mackerel - amazing !

The attention to detail is stunning - top quality greebling - and you've captured the essence of the ship brilliantly.

I am a bit nervous about that stand, though - looks great, but don't let anyone breathe on it or there will be tears....!

I really can't wait to see this in the flesh.

Absolutely superb job.

What do we have to look forward to next ?

D.

If the weight of the model is reasonably well spread, would it be possible to display it over the edge of a table or shelf, or would that be too tempting for a cat? (I've got one, but she's old and just sleeps a lot!!) That way you wouldn't need to have such a tall stand.... alternatively have you considered a 'U' shaped frame with one bar to support the engine section and another one at the back of the front 'fin' which could be at 45 degrees (e.g. the left part of a 'v'!) that way it could be quite low and wouldn't interfere with the front structure.

Cheers, Robin :classic:

Amazing MOC! I can't imagine how long it took to greeble the whole thing, but it was time well spent. The overall effect is exactly what the actual ship looks like. Your use of color on the forward lower hull is interesting, what made you decide to deviate from the normal greys?

Amazing MOC! I can't imagine how long it took to greeble the whole thing, but it was time well spent. The overall effect is exactly what the actual ship looks like. Your use of color on the forward lower hull is interesting, what made you decide to deviate from the normal greys?

because it's not grey...

NBfrigate.JPG

The stand discussion is very interesting. There is a lot of viable solutions, but I guess it comes down to personal preference. Since I dont actually have a cat, the stand I have made is sturdy enough for my needs ;) Save for hanging it in wires, it is the most discreet stand I could think of, and I think it almost gives the sense of the ship is floating - at least when I look at it using my Mark I eyeball ;)

The stand discussion is very interesting. There is a lot of viable solutions, but I guess it comes down to personal preference. Since I dont actually have a cat, the stand I have made is sturdy enough for my needs ;) Save for hanging it in wires, it is the most discreet stand I could think of, and I think it almost gives the sense of the ship is floating - at least when I look at it using my Mark I eyeball ;)

One variable might be to actually build this ship so as it hangs off its own stand and is in fact built around it i.e. the core of the spine is the stand! The spine protrudes through the nose and engineering section (or even the front fin instead of the nose) a wee bit before attaching to a leg on either end (or just at the engine section and under the front fin). It's an extremely sturdy result and no doubt a radical and unnecessary redesign for this beauty but probably a realistic solution for Lego if ever they released the Medical Frigate as a UCS...

... and it's almost (not really )cat proof! :look:

Edited by Aeroeza

That's not what I said. I said that the model couldn't hide part of the stands from view like the Star Destroyers can, and the stands would be really tall.

I'm terribly sorry, I placed the wrong words in the wrong order. nevertheless, I do agree with what you did said.

Mortesv do you have an idea of the cost? I'd really like to build it after I'm done with the Executor...

@Bob, I think it cost me around 700€ in the end

@Bob, I think it cost me around 700€ in the end

That's a bit too much for me... I'll have to try to cut that down, or maybe canibalize the Executor :sceptic:

because it's not grey...

NBfrigate.JPG

Ahhhh, you're right. That section definitely looks tan in the picture.

Keep up the good work!

Nice to see your Nebulon-B already finished! :sweet:

I must say that I’m very impressed with the level of detail. When I made my digital MOC I forced myself to use the lowest brick count as possible, so I couldn’t add all the greeble I would have liked.

I specially like how you made the engine section with every tile variation. It looks very accurate. :thumbup:

Thanks L!

I must say that I think you own model is pretty detailed as well :) I dont usually buy play sets but your moc is truly a great combination of detail and playability - I have already supported it on cuusoo and will buy it day one! ;)

This model is amazing,

By far the best Nebulon B frigate i've seen so far. The details are so so so good.

If you are willing to share the LDD/MLC file please tell us, i am pretty sure there's more that would love to build this exact model ;)

An impressive and realistic take on a classic Star Wars ship. I am really impressed when someone can take the time to poor realism into such a huge task building wise.

Regarding cuusoo, besides that it doesnt seem like a possibility anymore, I also think the design, size, brickcount and brick type count would disqualify my moc - even as a UCS. Official sets tend to have a much cleaner look and a very optimized brickcount.

I wanted to make a very detailed version of the Nebulon B to fit in with the rest of my modded/mocced 'UCS' collection :)

I am sure that if ever TLG did the Nebulon B as a UCS the set it would be cleaner looking and it wouldn't be a 400$+ set - especially considering that it is a somewhat less profilic ship :)

This is indeed a great piece of art! :thumbup:

Again and again i am impressed on how close the MOCs get to the 'originals' with just using LEGO pieces. But even more impressing is your skill and dedication to transfer such projects into reality! Keep it up!

Great model, very detailed and realistic! Only point that bothers me a bit are the transparent blue dishes at the engines that look a bit "disconnected" to the engines. Did you try attaching them the other way round directly to the turbine pieces using a half pin and a 1x1 round plate, omitting the 4x4 dish? Might look more integrated then. Otherwise especially the rear engine section looks perfect!

Great model, very detailed and realistic! Only point that bothers me a bit are the transparent blue dishes at the engines that look a bit "disconnected" to the engines. Did you try attaching them the other way round directly to the turbine pieces using a half pin and a 1x1 round plate, omitting the 4x4 dish? Might look more integrated then. Otherwise especially the rear engine section looks perfect!

Interesting, I might give that a try and see how it looks. However, the idea with the trans-blue dishes was to give an impression of engine glow/exhaust, so they werent meant to look integrated. But I'll give a go - thanks for the feedback :)

Wow! This is amazing! :wub: . Love the detail! The pods are great! Amazing work! :wub::thumbup: