88072.jpg

I'm not sure but I think it's a pretty recent change. but why?

Saving plastic? Choking hazard? Could it be an improvement somehow? Maybe Lego geometry works better with it shorter?

I'm not sure but I think it's a pretty recent change. but why?

It works better in a lot of ways because of its geometries. The new one will be centered between a pair of studs, the old one would not. Of course, the old one also had superior geometries in some ways (a plate would fit betweeen the "hook" and the side of a brick attached to the studs). Which is superior depends on what kind of application you need it for, but evidently LEGO designers prefer the new one's geometries.

Edited by Aanchir

Apparently, this is due to changes in toy safety laws in the US. The rounded version is not a sharp corner.

That would explain the change, but it's still annoying. They could have rounded off the corners enough to blunt the edges but without making it so visually apparent. It's especially odd since there are much sharper pieces than these, like some of the spike and sword pieces.

It's especially odd since there are much sharper pieces than these, like some of the spike and sword pieces.

These are generally a softer plastic (and the normal spears are pretty blunted) which is probably why they escaped the change. Not sure what the exact standard is but it's probably something to do with penetrative force.

The other night I found this new mould in a set. At left, new part 14769; at right the old part 4150.

DSC03281.png

I blogged about it and a reader pointed out the same was done to this part a few years ago, which I've never come across - guess I should actually open my Star Wars Planet sets more often :O)

74698.jpg?3

Some readers pointed out an interesting fact about the old style connection that I never knew - a 1X2 plate or brick will sit centrally beneath the X connection.

Yesterday, I discovered a new design of the 2x2 round tile :

tile10.png

I find this idea a bit weird, the current one allows a lot of different connections, and with this new one, although we will be able to attach bricks to the center tube, we loose a lot of connections. But at least we will be able to easily play tic-tac-toe. :grin:

Edited by Leewan

Yeah, it's been found in sets actually! Caperberry analyzed it in this post on his blog "The New Elementary". Nabii made this comment explaining the justification and admitting he was part of the group that made the call to change it, so that's another thing AFOLs can hold against him along with the death of teal. :tongue:

hope then it will be not either or but both and of course ;)

Yesterday, I discovered a new design of the 2x2 round tile :

It has been discussed in the Retired/Replaced Parts thread.

I have merged your topic with that thread.

at least we will be able to easily play tic-tac-toe. :grin:

I'm amused I wasn't the only one who thought that! Hope you liked my version!

Yeah, I was gladly surprised to discover that we had the same idea. And your blog entry was very interesting. :classic:

I really hate the 3 different types of the modified 1x2 with handles, once I made a BL order with lots of them, and they were not all correctly sorted, so I couldn't stack them... :sceptic: Just seems like confusion, especially searching for the right mould e.g. the middle one for between two plates.

Noticed a tiny mould change in 4287 Slope, Inverted 33 3 x 1 (Roof Tile 1X3/25° Inv.) the other day. The small rectangular facet at the front was standardised at some point (anyone know the year?) to be the same size as 45° inverted slopes always had been (which is also the same size that modern inverted bows are, like 13547 as seen here). If you're interested, I waffle on about this in my latest blog post.

DSC03854.png

I can also detect a reeeeeally tiny change in height between the two old ones shown here - the yellow is one or two LDU larger than the dark grey - which puzzles me.

I own the Monster Fighters set The Werewolf (9463). Bricklink inventory and the instructions say it comes with element 7678 which is the large brown half-arch. However, my set came with older element 2339, which can't accept a stud underneath the end of the branch. It appears both elements are in sets as of 2013. Is this element variation a normal occurrence?

I know that there a several threads on identifying parts, new elements - if this is better suited to an existing thread, please let me know.

The old and newer variant of the part probably just get dumped into the same bin at the factory. We see this a lot when there are slight updates or variations to part molds.

The current big"issue" of this is the new shark. I heard people are getting only older sharks in newer even when they made a completly new updated mold for 2013 city line:

9253779185_c202969c70_z.jpg

Edited by Lordofdragonss

The modern shark is the left right? I think the one on the right though would be more useful to stick legs on to make a LEG SHARK!!

No, wait- Is the right one the modern one? I WANT IT!

Edited by Mutant Orc

I didn't know about a new shark mold. It's a shame, really, as I have a huge collection of old, now obsolete sharks.

It's quite usual that different production runs of the same set contain variations of a certain part if the mould changes during the period when the set is being produced. I remember the Apple Tree House - the one that I bought when it was released in the beginning of 2010 has this type of 1x6 arch and the other that I bought in late 2012 had this type. Though your example is a bit unusual as both the set and the part were launched in the same year.

I didn't know about a new shark mold. It's a shame, really, as I have a huge collection of old, now obsolete sharks.

why are they obsolete?

The old and newer variant of the part probably just get dumped into the same bin at the factory. We see this a lot when there are slight updates or variations to part molds.

Sometimes even inside of a same set: in the Palace Cinema I got tan jumper plates with and without groove.

why are they obsolete?

Because they are now outdated and look plain in comparison. Also any interest in them will be stolen by the newer piece. Knowing him though I doubt he'll get any of the new ones so I don't know why he's so bothered...