Legogal

Do you have a Legoland Park bucket list?

A 'bucket list" contains the things a person wants to do before he/she passes on ( as in dies.)

Many EB-ers want to visit Legoland Parks during their lifetimes.

Except for those of you who work for Lego or the Park Operator and have to visit the Parks as part of your employment, who has listed any or all of the Legoland Parks on a personal bucket list?

It appears that there are six (outdoor) Legoland Parks in 2013:

1. Legoland Billund/Denmark

2. Legoland Deutschland/Germany

3. Legoland Malaysia (near Singapore)

4. Legoland Windsor/United Kingdom

5. Legoland California

6. Legoland Florida

So if you have a bucket list with Park(s) on it, this is the place to share which ones are on your list, and why they are if you want to give some details Thanks!

To start the process, my list includes all six Parks, and I have visited only Legoland Germany so far.

Let's get rolling and figuring out where you want to go....so you do eventually get there!

Edited by Legogal

definitely all of them. living in malaysia, i have only been to legoland malaysia. it is still brand new, and not as big as the other parks, but the miniland is absolutely awesome. i hope to do windsor next year, and cali or florida in the near future.

coffee, Thanks for the feedback on the L Malayasia Park! Glad to hear that Miniland is stunning there, too. Can't wait to see it...

I have the US and Malaysia to visit, or at least get someone to stretch a small coin and grab a hat for me!

I have only been to Legoland California. I really want to go to the one in Billund, just because it's the original and I'd like to go all the way back through LEGO history :blush:

Good bucket list idea Legogal :thumbup: !

My list so far:

Done these:

Legoland Billund/Denmark - ✔ (around 10 visits)

Legoland Deutschland/Germany - ✔ (three times)

Legoland Windsor/United Kingdom - ✔ (two times)

Legoland California - ✔ (once)

To do:

Legoland Florida

Legoland Malaysia (near Singapore)

I think I will be able to visit the Florida one in the future but Malaysia is a bit to far I guess :cry_sad: !

Thanks! Looks like Pepp and CopMike are on the way to seeing the Grand Six!

As to the US Parks, a quick visit to FL or Californis could be combined with a BrickWorld trip due to frequent low airfares to and from Orlando all over. California is more distant from Chicago but still doable. And one can fly into Chicago, head to a Park, and fly home directly from the Park on a multicuty or stopover ticket. Maybe we have a travel agent member who can provide some sample fares incorporating tricks of the trade. You would most likely need to rent a car to get to the Park quickly from the airport, but advance reservations avoiding weekends usually are less than $50. a day. Go with a friend and cut your hotel and car rental cost in half.

Legoland Malaysia (LM) is a bit trickier to reach for those of us residing outside of Asia and not rolling in the dough (monetarily wealthy.) The first choice is to use frequent flyer points; maybe you are incredibly lucky and can cosy up to a relative who lives on planes! If not (you are like the rest of us poor souls), subscribe to low airfare newsletters for alerts on Singapore (SIN) airfares. (Kuala Lumpur -KUL- is another nearby possibility.) One of the highest rated airlines in the world (Singapore Air) has dirt cheap fares from the US to Malaysia via Frankfurt at the moment...$1098US round trip from NYC, at least a third off normal fares. KUL is a one hr flight or seven or so hr bus ride (you get to see some of the beautiful country) from LM. But do be aware that it could take 36 hours or more one way to reach LM from The US....ouch, ouch! Get in shape before going and allow some downtime while there and after your return home if possible. And pity the poor souls from Asia and Australia....they have much greater distances to travel than most of us, so quit your whining, okay!

Maybe we should get a travel savvy member to set up a Grand Tour of all six parks over two weeks...one day at each Park. Then ask Lego and Merlin, the park operator, to give away one package each year to EB members....woooohoooo! To reward us for our fanatical loyalty. At least dreaming is free!

Any other extravagant ideas for making the Grand Tour?

My bucket list does not consist of the LEGOLAND's, but more of the Lego Stores..at least in the US. I have been to LEGOLAND in CA, but that is it, although I have been to the Lego Store next to the LEGOLAND in Florida. At the time I was there for Star Wars Celebration, and did not have time to check it out. I would like to go the LEGOLAND in England, Germany, and Denmark. When my oldest graduates high school, we are thinking about taking him on a trip abroad, so that may work out to visit one or two of the LEGOLANDS in Europe. Malaysia though, Ill pass. I have been to quite a few of the Lego Stores though, ranging from Hawaii to NYC. I envy those who have been to most if not all of them.

definitely all of them. living in malaysia, i have only been to legoland malaysia. it is still brand new, and not as big as the other parks, but the miniland is absolutely awesome. i hope to do windsor next year, and cali or florida in the near future.

The reviews of L Malaysia on tripadvisor are generally positive except for the lack of shade in the Park. Living in Malaysia gives you a major advantage over most of us because we are not accustomed to that amount of intense tropical sun and humidity. Is there any way they can quickly add more shade to make visitors more comfortable?

We built two 10by10 ft. arbors on our back patio covered by screen that blocks 85 per cent of the sunlight so we can have a shaded garden next to the house. Could they do something like that to protect the visitors a bit? When I lived on the Pacific island of Truk in the Mariana's forty years ago, the tropical sun could produce a sun burn in half an hour that required hospitalization, so we are talking about a serious problem here. With no alternative like waiting for a cooler time of he year because there is not one.

What did you think of the "heat" problem? And what can the Park do to minimize the problem? Thanks for your advice.

I have the US and Malaysia to visit, or at least get someone to stretch a small coin and grab a hat for me!

Pepp, Your hat request is noted. Any color preference?

Working on plans to visit FL and California Parks within the next six months. Wish Santa could drop 500k frequent flyer points in my stocking, and I could knock off the other three I have not visited. But that is what a bucket list is for...

I would like to see them in order of size, I suppose, since I have no idea which one would offer the most for an adult with no kids (at the moment). Largest to smallest or vise versa doesn't really matter. Realistically, I would probably start in my back yard parks :classic:

1. Legoland Windsor, United Kingdom (150 acres)

2. Legoland Florida, United States (145 acres)

3. Legoland California, United States (128 acrea)

4. Legoland Deutschland, Germany (107 acres)

5. Malaysia Nasajaya, Johor, Maylasia (76 acres)

6. Legoland Billund, Denmark (35 acres)

Guy Bri,

Thanks! That is an interesting approach looking at the size of each Park! Would never have thought of that measure.

Miniland (full of huge models of different cities) is my favorite part, so my ranking would be based on how impressive the Miniland is.

What criteria would the rest of you use to rank the Parks (if that info were available to us?)

If others have specific comments about Parks they have visited, please share them here so we can use them to determine how much we want to visit each Park.

With only one Park under my belt, I would rank Gunzburg very high for Miniland quality....Venice was my favorite, but the other cities were stunning as well. After we have visited several Parks, our ratings will change with more info in hand to rate them.

Let the big time collecting of vacation days at work, credit card points and frequent flyer points begin! Tally ho!

I definitely want to see at least one LegoLand and the one at Billund is on top of the list.

I'd also like to go to the US and check out a LEGO store and go nuts on the PAB wall!

Hi coffee and cake!

Having been to L Malaysia, can you remember if they sell the clown fish polybag 20025 there in the shop normally? It looks like a wonderful little critter, and would be fun to pick up a bunch of these as gifts for other EBers and our friends. Could you find out for us if they have it in stock most of the time and what it cost? Then we can develop a scheme of how to buy them and get them back to Billund for EB 2014 or some other event like Brickworld 2014.

One is listed on US eBay now at : http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1423.l2649

I think that this might have been available to celebrate the Park's opening. Has anyone seen it sold elsewhere?

Also is there anything else about L Malaysia that you want to post that would help others visit there? Like how you got there from Singapore, I guess? Looks like you have to go through customs at the border in both directions. Is that really a pain in the neck?

If any others know something about L Malaysia, please post it here so those of us with it on our bucket lists can smarten up about our dreams. Cheers!

Kristel,

I understand your dreams for your bucket list! Just to let you know, the PAB wall in our LEGO store in Raleigh is no big deal for special parts. It does have mostly run of the mill parts, which are fine if you need a lot. But most PAB walls are not that exciting. Maybe the Parks have much better PAB, but that is a discussion for elsewhere.

Hope you make it to a Park soon. Is there a way you can travel on business or to visit relatives? Maybe there is someone in your family whom you really need to see who lives near a Park?!!!! It looks like EB 2015 is scheduled for L Windsor. And we know that EB 2014 is next May in Billund. Maybe you can barter for frequent flyer miles....guess it is time to get creative in travel, too! Good Luck!!!

Edited by Legogal

I would like to go with my friends (Who have an interest in Lego) to Legoland Windsor to have a great day at the park: go to the restaurant, the roller coasters, Arcade and at the end of it all we'd go to the shop and pick up a few sets as souvenirs.

I'd also try to take my brother and my younger cousins as they'd love the day out there!.

I have already been to Windsor not too sure if I want to visit the other Lands I'll have to take a look see.

Edited by Blast

Hi coffee and cake!

Having been to L Malaysia, can you remember if they sell the clown fish polybag 20025 there in the shop normally? It looks like a wonderful little critter, and would be fun to pick up a bunch of these as gifts for other EBers and our friends. Could you find out for us if they have it in stock most of the time and what it cost? Then we can develop a scheme of how to buy them and get them back to Billund for EB 2014 or some other event like Brickworld 2014.

One is listed on US eBay now at : http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1423.l2649

I think that this might have been available to celebrate the Park's opening. Has anyone seen it sold elsewhere?

Also is there anything else about L Malaysia that you want to post that would help others visit there? Like how you got there from Singapore, I guess? Looks like you have to go through customs at the border in both directions. Is that really a pain in the neck?

If any others know something about L Malaysia, please post it here so those of us with it on our bucket lists can smarten up about our dreams. Cheers!

hi lego gal,

sorry for the late response, as i just read your post :blush:

for your queries:

i do not recall if they have the set you are looking for in-stock, as they usually rotate their stock regularly, especially the polybags. LEGO tends to be a bit on the pricier side here in Malaysia, but i will be happy to check it out for you the next time i head there. if you want pictures from any part of the park or store, do let me know and i will do my best to accomodate :grin:

the easiest way to get to Legoland Malaysia from singapore would be by bus, which goes from the 2nd link, direct to Legoland. you would want to take a singapore bus to the 2nd link, clear customs and interchange with the JPO2 bus. yes, you will need to pass through customs on both trips, but it is a fairly painless process by bus. info on busses can be found here -->http://www.legoland.com.my/plan/bus-services/ and a fare and schedule can be found here --> http://www.causewayl...=720&height=470

As a side note, Legoland Malaysia accepts both Malaysian Ringgit and Singapore Dollars, so you do not have to change currency if you already have SGD, though i would recommend to, as the SGD rates at the park are fixed and might be slightly higher than a currency changer's rate.

due to the climate, it can get really hot especially during the noon hours. the restaurants or water rides is a good place to cool off in lieu of shade. in October of this year, the Legoland Malaysia water park will open its doors, so that should help in cooling off too :laugh: also, they have introduced a very small star wars display in miniland.

if you have anymore questions, let me know, i will try my best to answer them!

Edited by coffeeandcake

coffeeandcake,

Thanks for the info about Legoland Malaysia. A water park sounds like a lovely idea for a place that is so hot year round...sometimes you just want to jump in the water when your body overheats...unless it is hot water like the pools in the US Southwest during the summer. Maybe they will add more shady areas in the future, especially for folks from colder climates and for the elderly, who seem to suffer from heat stroke more often.

The bus info is helpful because one does have to go through customs between Singapore and Malaysia, and this can eat up a lot of time making you arrive at the Park later in the heat. How long does the total bus trip from the Orchard Road shopping areas of Singapore?

Questions EB-ers may have about the Park:

Have you noticed any local discount coupons for adult admission at the Park? Is there a discount for a two day pass?

And how good is the LEGO parts store inventory selection? Have you seen any interesting/rare parts there on your last few visits?

Is the weekend Saturday and Sunday like in Singapore or on the Moslem calendar like in Saudi? (Just trying to figure out when the number of children would be higher in the Park. Many of us AFFOLs enjoy emptier Parks and avoid weekend or school holiday visits.)

Thanks for the info about L Malaysia. It is so new that there is little written on the travel blogs. Cheers!

hi legogal,

i am not too sure about the duration of the bus ride from orchard to legoland, but it isn't that long of a journey distance-wise. most of the time would be spent clearing customs.

for your other queries:

Have you noticed any local discount coupons for adult admission at the Park? Is there a discount for a two day pass?

yes, there are discount coupons for adult admission, typically you will find these promotions running with brand sponsors or retail outlets. the promotions vary by season though, so you would need to keep your eyes peeled. there is a discount for malaysian citizens at the gate, and also a discount for advanced online purchases via the legoland malaysia website. a two-day pass is also available from the website or at the gate.

And how good is the LEGO parts store inventory selection? Have you seen any interesting/rare parts there on your last few visits?

the parts selection at the brick shop's PAB unfortunately leaves much to be desired. there aren't any rare parts, and not a big variety of colours. the parts available rotate quite regularly, so i guess it will depend on luck. most of the parts are common bricks, plates and tiles, windows and frames, jumper plates, wheels and rims, plants etc. most of the colours available would be bley/dark bley, black or bright colours (orange, yellow, red, etc)

Is the weekend Saturday and Sunday like in Singapore or on the Moslem calendar like in Saudi?

the weekend is saturday and sunday. to avoid crowds, i would recommend going to the park on monday-friday which are not school holidays, however the park closes earlier on these days. the park is closed on wednesday, except school or public holidays. an opening time calender is available at the legoland malaysia website for reference.

hope this helps!

Edited by coffeeandcake

Coffee, thanks for the tips for visiting L Malaysia. It seems to be the Park least visited by EBers, so it is great to hear from someone who has been there more than once.

Guess it is time to count the coins in our piggy banks and figure out how much more dough it will take to visit the next Park or store on our lists, if there are any. We in the US have Craigslist, an online place to list things for sale locally, and I have sold lots of stuff we don't need any more. A rototiller, a small fridge, a bed, some extra lumber, etc. Time to empty those closets! Cheers!

Been to California, was bummed I was not able to use my VIP card in the store which is when I found out Lego does not own the park, they were not quite finished with the hotel when we were there at Christmas last year.

I would like to see the one in England and of course want to go to Denmark, have ancestors from Denmark and want to see Copenhagen as well as Billund.

Well....time to update my Bucket List!

Two weeks ago I checked out Legoland Malaysia. Number Two

Today I visited Legoland California. Number Three

The good news is that I did not buy a set at my first three Parks.

(The airlines' baggage charges are too high.)

That leaves FL, Windsor and Billund....hmmmmmm!

Thoughts about L California:

-MiniLand is outstanding as usual and my favorite place here.

-The weather is perfect (high of 80F) with lots of seating in the shade.

-It makes me want to be five years old again!

-You will die young if you regularly eat their food.

-They don't offer many items that say California.

-Parking is too expensive at $15.

-The aquarium cafe does not offer fish on its menu.

-Their PAB wall is small, and there are no other parts bins like at L Germany.

-There are lots of places to shoot water or just get wet and cool off.

-At least half of the guests were not speaking English, which is very cool!

-Staff and guests are extremely friendly.

-The parking lot is right at the entrance to the Park.

-The hotel is now open.

What do you think about this Park and is it on your Bucket List.

Here is the link to my photos of MiniLand at Bucket List Park number three, Legoland California:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/75868658@N06/

It seems that many other areas of the Park have builds like those at other Parks. From the three Parks I have visited, it seems that MiniLand differs totally from Park to Park.

Enjoy, Legogal

Edited by Legogal

A 'bucket list" contains the things a person wants to do before he/she passes on ( as in dies.)

Many EB-ers want to visit Legoland Parks during their lifetimes.

Except for those of you who work for Lego or the Park Operator and have to visit the Parks as part of your employment, who has listed any or all of the Legoland Parks on a personal bucket list?

It appears that there are six (outdoor) Legoland Parks in 2013:

1. Legoland Billund/Denmark

2. Legoland Deutschland/Germany

3. Legoland Malaysia (near Singapore)

4. Legoland Windsor/United Kingdom

5. Legoland California

6. Legoland Florida

So if you have a bucket list with Park(s) on it, this is the place to share which ones are on your list, and why they are if you want to give some details Thanks!

To start the process, my list includes all six Parks, and I have visited only Legoland Germany so far.

Let's get rolling and figuring out where you want to go....so you do eventually get there!

I live in Indonesia, so going to LEGOLAND Malaysia is a simple 1 hour flight to Singapore, plus 45 minutes to Johor Bahru. I've been to LEGOLAND Windsor too, on a recent trip to London. And here's some points of thought:

-LEGOLAND Malaysia is still new. It doesn't have the weathered look that Windsor's have.

-I find Malaysia's Miniland more interesting. It's probably slightly biased, but I find the Merlion, the Great Wall and The Forbidden Palace more interesting in LEGO than Stonehenge or the Gherkin building.

-LEGOLAND Windsor definitely has more rides. Everything Malaysia has, so does Windsor, but the opposite does not apply.

I've been to LEGOLAND WIndsor once, and LEGOLAND Malaysia twice, one of which is a priceless and unpurchasable VIP Tour where I get to go to the Model Shop, raid rare bricks and enter the park before opening to see how it is prepped up every day. It was a great experience.

Fikko3107,

Wow! This is a great comparison of LL Malaysia and LL Windsor!

Thanks for the info as few have visited both of these Parks. Your inside tour at LLM sounds fantastic! It is great that you were able to see so much there.