Sign in to follow this  

When I first saw the Legends of Chima theme I wasn't sure what I think about it, the minifigs are beautifully detailed and good-looking but the vehicles looked somewhat silly to me. Now I dug deeper in the wrld of Chima and I came to really like it, so I decided to ge my first set and bring you a review.

70002-1.jpg

Theme: Legends of Chima

Set Name: Lennox' Lion Attack

Set Number: 70002

Year of release: 2013

Minifigs: 2

Pieces: 230

Price: 17.99 GBP / 24.99 USD / 19,99 EUR / 5990 HUF

Set Description:

Protect the Lion tribe’s CHI with Lennox’s Lion Attack!

Crug is after the CHI powering the mighty Lion Attack vehicle. Catch him with the all-wheel drive then help brave Lennox to

deploy the big claw attack. Load up the rapid-fire disc shooter and send that CHI-swiping scavenger back to the swamp where

he came from! Includes 2 minifigures and a weapon.

Includes 2 minifigures: Crug and Lennox and a weapon

Features CHI, big claw attack function, all-wheel drive, lion head front and rapid-fire disc shooter

Includes Crug’s standard weapon

Power through the jungle with all-wheel drive!

Shoot the rapid-fire discs!

Fire the two flick missiles!

Protect the Lion tribe’s CHI!

Measures over 3" (10cm) high, 7" (19cm) long and 6" (16cm) wide

Box:

Front

9138532552_11d94c70ac_c.jpg

The box is from the smaller category but to my biggest surprise it's very stiff and heavy. It sports the usual design with the Lego and Chima logo. In the right corner we can see Lennox's head, I really like how TLG make every box unique with the current hero's face. The main image shows the lion vehicle in action (spitting mentos), chasing the bad croc guy who stole Chi from the lions on a dusty road, surrounded by forest/jungle. On the left we can see some info about the set but this being the europian version there isn't much. And finally we can see the minfigis on the low left corner, namely Crug form the crocodile tribe and Lennox from the Lion tribe. Their association to the bad/good side is easily recognizable, Crug has red background, while Lennox has blue.

Back

9138546106_14e34f8f27_c.jpg

On the backside of the box we can see the play functions of the set through a little story where Crug is trying to steal the Chi, but Lennox with his Lion car is defeating him and takes it back. The functions are described in 6 different languages and we can see the guys arguing in the upper right corner (Give it to me! - No, you give it to me!)

The content of the box

9136318867_77097cfbf7_c.jpg

We get 4 unnumbered bags, 2 Chi tubes, 2 Building instructions, 4 rims and a Sticker sheet.

Interesting parts

9136314275_92bf2e78f2_c.jpg

In this set there are beautiful new and/or rare Flame Yellowish Orange parts, some old parts in reddish brown, the new tooth pieces (which are made of rubbery, very soft plastic) in both white and reddish brown and the black technic piece for suspension. Last but not the least we have the new Chi part and the 2x3 plate with holder in trans lightblue.

Building instructions

9138541600_095b0b1bae_c.jpg

I haven't inserted a pic about the front because it's the same as the box. The BI has a light blue background which makes the colors easier to recognize. There are 2 booklets and they are surprisingly long (wich is very good) and in the first booklet you can find a picture of all the figures from the first wave in the middle of the building, which is quite odd. The steps are easy to follow and there is little repetition.

Sticker sheet

9136316547_01b1b05ea9_c.jpg

There are stickers yes, but there is not much and they just add to the overall look of the set.

Minifigs:

9136309617_d0d31d2a4a_c.jpg

9138538774_53947f022b_c.jpg

9138539594_252b890b87_c.jpg

The set contains two minifigs, for me Crug was the selling point in this set, he is my favorite Chima minifigure.

Crug: According to Lego.com he is Cragger's loyal muscleman, if he needs raw force to get things done, then Crug is the one he hires for the job (Like taking the new refrigerator up to the 7th floor...).

The minifigure looks beautiful, he is the brown croc in the theme. The paint job is spot on with all small details like the steel jaw with a screw in it and the fangs on his belt, with the ripped clothes, this figure is freakin' awesome! His head is dark brown while the body is reddish brown. We get a double-sided head with a calm killer's look and with a surprised/frightened look on the other side.

Lennox: Lennox is the vehicle-pro guy of the lion tribe, a cool, careless young lion with hidden potential to do great things.

Tha paint is beautiful here as well, the little details makes him perfect, like the lion head shaped knee-armor, the detailed belt and the greekish looking skirt. He has a double-sided head too with a shy smile on one and a fierce/angry look on the other. Unfortunately his only weapon is the Lion car, at least he could have a saber or something...

The completed set:

9138534364_d0865a9695_c.jpg

I'am very satisfied with the result, the vehicle is very sturdy and it rolls easily. The Lion head on the front looks great, but it somewhat resembles a cub more than an adult lion's frightening look, anyway I like the design. (Next time I'll have a walk with my vacuum cleaner before making a review :laugh: )

9136312771_cdc6f3b628_c.jpg

9136312077_071904457d_c.jpg

The tubes connected to the claws makes the feel that there is really something flowing in to them, I really like these parts. The contras of this set is that the rear part of the car is almost empty, there is a curvy back with stickers, a little place to stand for Lennox (a real cockpit would've been better) and the Chi holder, which is very simple, the cannons cover some area but if you look from behind it's still a bit naked.

9138535178_094367f282_c.jpg

The play functions:

Now that's where the set stands out! First there is the disk shooting mechanism wich works fantasticly, the disks fly a long distance before they hit anybodys eyeballs :grin: . You have to load them up into a hole at the back of the lionhead and you pull the trans blue plate at the back which loads a disk in to the rail, then release the plate and Bang!!!

9136313507_22c061e901_c.jpg

Then we have suspension for the wheels which is not common out of the world of Technic.

For flick-fire lovers I have good news, but I don't think there is actually somebody who loves them (I hope TLG readsthis).

Moreover the cannons can rotate up/down and left/right.

Rating the set

Design 8/10 The designers captured the lion-ish look very well, the great choice of colors make it mor authentic. The 2 minus points are for the naked back.

Build 10/10: It was really fun and took a surprisingly long time. The BI is easy to follow with good color differentation (In spite of this I managed to miss a step :grin: ) and with little repetition.

Parts: 9/10 There are tons of parts here in rare/new color, which can be useful for MOCers, I myself can't complain.

Minifigs: 9/10: Both figures are excellent (especially Crug :wub: ), with beautiful paint job all over them but it's a shame that Lennox doesn't have a weapon.

Price: 8/10: Its a bit high but you get Crug (he only appears in a polybag and in a big set of the summer wave) and a fun little vehicle with great play features.

Overall: 44/50 I'am very satisfied with this set, a few weeks ago I couldn't have imagined that I'll be buying this but here I am and happy with my Chima set :classic: Great play functions, beautiful figs, nice lion looking vehicle, tons of fun.

I hope you enjoyed my review and it help you decide whether to buy this or not.

End of story.

Edited by Csacsa234

Bought it yesterday on heavy discount (1/4 of the price) and my son is really enjoying playing with vehicle. He really likes suspension system. But, tbh he doesn't care for figures so much and he constantly asked me where are ninjago figures. Hence the discount, I presume.

Edit: Forgot to tell that I was hugely disappointed since one of the parts (bigger yellow front part with sticker) was scratched right out of the box. We have bought literally hundreds of sets so far, in my childhood and now for my children and this is first time I ever saw damaged part right out of the box. CQ in lego is not as it used to be :(

Edited by wildboar