just2good

'ATLAS mini model' reaches 10K on Cuusoo!

While it's good they're promoting science projects, I hope they redesign this somewhat, because it looks a bit ugly. Also, LHC and ATLAS aren't as widely known as Mars Exploration projects and such, I think.

As a concept I'm fine with it. I own the entire Discovery Theme from a few years back, several versions of the space shuttle including the big Technic Model (8480) which really helped lead me out of a quasi-dark age back in the '90's.

I'm a bit surprised by the way this particular model pulled a Purdue Pete Maneuver though. The small model proposed doesn't really grab me (though the larger one he links to is far more impressive) and (not to belittle ATLAS but...) the subject matter isn't one of those "go to" moments of space exploration for me. Yes the moon landing, ISS and multiple mars rovers have been/are being done, so it's natural to turn to other missions, but I'm still taken aback by the enthusiasm for this guy. Perhaps I'm just out of touch but I would have thought that an Apollo-Soyuz link-up or Hubble Telescope, Voyager, or even Sputnik or Lunokhod 1 (first soviet lunar rover) would have struck a bigger spark. Eh, what do I know?

In any case congratulations are in order, and best of luck with the review process.

Anyways... I support science fully. But as I said in the now mixed with other Cuusoo thread... this isn't much to look at. You're using the bad picture and there's an update. But even the update isn't much to look at. I love the Large Hadron Collider but... making it in Lego form... just isn't much to look at :P.

No way would I buy it. I don't think many would honestly. This got a Reddit boost and I honestly don't think most of the people who voted for it would even buy it. Especially if it's as big as on that page it'll be like $400. $400 for a mess of bricks that doesn't look like much? Nah...

Edited by BrickG

Yesterday this had about 7.5k. That was quick. I can't stand boring science sets, though.

-Sci

Edited by CM4S

I like the LHC and the science it is bringing to the table but, like others here, just dont think that the LEGO model design (or the real thing) look that good.

While it's good they're promoting science projects, I hope they redesign this somewhat, because it looks a bit ugly. Also, LHC and ATLAS aren't as widely known as Mars Exploration projects and such, I think.

I agree. I mean, I think most people might have heard of the LHC, but I doubt they know the basic idea of what the whole thing looks like, let alone what one of the experiments looks like.

Perhaps I'm just out of touch but I would have thought that an Apollo-Soyuz link-up or Hubble Telescope, Voyager, or even Sputnik or Lunokhod 1 (first soviet lunar rover) would have struck a bigger spark. Eh, what do I know?

I agree. Those were just as significant then as the LHC is now, certainly more recognizable, and they're space-going probes/craft, which I'm sure is both more attractive and more interesting for kids than something buried underground.

I never even seen this thing it's not bad, but nothing stellar. Congrats to the designer though. It is shame so many really great projects are sitting dormant on Cuusoo while the needed parts for them are going OOP.

Congratulations. Someone posted this on facebook the other day and tagged me in it. I had no idea what a LHC even was, let alone what the LEGO model was supposed to be. It was at around 5,600 votes at that time and now it hit 10k, so good job on the speed reaching that.

I recall reading the article and the creator said it cost them about $100 and used about 560 bricks.... that sounds plausible for most AFOLs.. :sceptic: Non-AFOLs already think LEGO is expensive, so that isn't helping anything. At that point, it isn't feasible. I'm sure if it passes, it will get a redesign and be more affordable for the niche fan, but I don't see "10k" people picking this up.

A lot of science projects have been passing the review stage, but I hope that this one does not (no offence) but it just looks boring. :classic:

As I said in the other thread about this yesterday, I am pleased to see science projects getting coverage as I really like science, but I was not familiar with the Atlas in itself although I know about the LHC. I would have thought a more generic and instantly recognizable LHC model could have been made, one of those large ring doughnut magnets or something? Anyway, I am pleased a science project got through and maybe it can lead to a set based on the LHC but a more instantly recognizable part of it.

Why have we got two threads on this?

This is a very cool project in terms of concept, but I can see it not performing well as a set. Previous science-inspired models were probes/vehicles which have a little more play potential due to being mobile by design. You can roll around the Curiosity Rover or "swoosh" the Hayabusa and Shinkai 6500. This model doesn't have that level of play potential. It also isn't quite as glamorous as a display piece. The Shinkai 6500 and Curiosity Rover can both be displayed in a simulation of their environment. A sterile laboratory setting doesn't have that same exotic appeal.

Additionally, I feel like the LHC is a lot more poorly-understood than these previous endeavors that have been memorialized as Cuusoo projects, and also somewhat controversial on account of various misconceptions. Space and ocean exploration are things that have been going on quite publicly for decades, whereas the LHC is performing a lot of unprecedented experiments that a lot of people don't truly understand. These factors could cut into this kind of project's profitability.

With that said, it's a nice looking model, and I imagine TLG could make it look even nicer while simultaneously making it a bit smaller and cheaper. So I suppose it's up to them to decide if there's an audience and if they can bring the price point down enough to make it affordable for that audience.

I don't like this model, I've seen reports, but I haven't even tried to understand what it does. I'd much rather have an Atlas rocket mini-model. If this passes the review phase I will scream and find the creator. He will not like me.

Still, It's just a display piece, with no playability, and no one except sci-fi fans, like me, like sterile white labs.

It's just a glarmourus parts pack.

That thing looks like crap. In fact it looks like the sort of thing you build as a kid when you haven't got much Lego and decide to use up all the parts of one colour in one build. I have no idea what the hell this is but it looks like crap and is boring as church on Sunday.

So far not one decent set has come from cuusoo. And those sets that have been released have been deathly dull and small. So this is perfect for passing the cuusoo selection process. Lego sets perfect for the 1950's.

Cuusoo is pointless. it's not a reflection of what people want it's an exercise in futility.

That thing looks like crap. In fact it looks like the sort of thing you build as a kid when you haven't got much Lego and decide to use up all the parts of one colour in one build. I have no idea what the hell this is but it looks like crap and is boring as church on Sunday.

So far not one decent set has come from cuusoo. And those sets that have been released have been deathly dull and small. So this is perfect for passing the cuusoo selection process. Lego sets perfect for the 1950's.

Cuusoo is pointless. it's not a reflection of what people want it's an exercise in futility.

I don't know if you'll read this post since a while back you said you were blocking me for my tendency to disagree with you, but at any rate, I disagree. I think the model uses some great building techniques to replicate the source material, and I'm shocked that you'd take such an insulting attitude towards the builder.

I also think every Cuusoo set so far has been quite decent. The Shinkai 6500 was great right out of the gate, with some lovely building techniques used to create a very accurate portrayal of the original submarine, and a nice display area as well that really created that undersea atmosphere. The Hayabusa probe was less impressive — its boxy look doesn't lend it as much of a sense of movement — but it's a great display piece that really resembles a real space probe. The Minecraft set was pure creative genius, and its sales have reflected how well it appealed to Minecraft fans. If you're expecting traditional LEGO set ideas from LEGO Cuusoo, then you're bound to be disappointed. It's geared toward producing the types of models that TLG doesn't already provide, and TLG is generally good at providing things that their audience demands, so of course it's going to trend towards obscure niche interests versus more mainstream stuff. Still, it's good at what it does.

Edited by Aanchir

If this passes the review phase I will scream and find the creator.

That's an interesting quote by someone with "stalKING" in his username :D

Insulting or not I completely agree. This is a pointless and irritating submission, considering the amount of projects on cuusoo that are actually worthy of production. Just like a BttF car without minifigures is equally disappointing.

^ Why is it pointless and irritating (and by implication unworthy) just because you don't like it? Sure I probably wouldn't buy it if it got made, but just think of all the thousands upon thousands of scientists who saw this model - which is a small scale LEGO replica of something they work on or know a lot about, and who obviously thought "wow! That'd make a cool model for my desk, I'd buy that!"

I don't know what other people here work as, but if you're a truck driver, you might have a LEGO model truck in your cab; if you work in a distinctive building (e.g. the Empire State Building or One Canada Square in London), then you might want a model of that building on your desk. Indeed if a decent version of your truck or your building came up on CUUSOO then you'd probably vote for it and encourage others to vote for it too. I could go on - there's thousands of other professions. I work in politics, and will be getting the Big Ben Architecture set at some point.

So what's the difference between those and this ATLAS model? It's a model of the workplace of thousands of people, and countless thousands of other people will work every day with the information it produces, and will therefore know a lot about it. Just because you don't know much about it and it doesn't fit with your idea of what makes a perfect LEGO model, that doesn't mean that it isn't worthy of being made.

There's a lot other people out there in the big wide world, many of whom are a lot different to us. So please people, stop being so selfish in only wanting things you like to get to 10,000 votes.

BTW, I apologise if any of the above comes across as rude - it isn't meant to.

Look im not trying to start a flame war about a lego set but your assumptions are disappointing. My background knowledge about ATLAS is not the issue and there is certainly no way you could ever know the extent of it so......

My above comment is just my opinion. Its irritating to me because it has 0 character and thats a quality i value in sets. No doubt the actuall item they are replicating is a great scientific feat etc but in essence it is a large machine comprised of generic shape etc. It has no greater identity. Its a cylender when you make it into lego. No doubt its shape suits the purpos of the machine but its not very nice to look at. The amount of creativity i see on cuusoo is vast and to have this reach review just because it has to do with science is also irritating. Also justifying the production because a small handful of people might be working on it and like a small replica is unjustified in an of itself. The appeal isn't there for me and neither is the excitement of the design itself. Again this is all my opinion but i dont think im being to harsh about it. I might be a bit blunt but Im pretty confidant im not alone in my opinion. Sorry if it got under your skin.

Edited by rubberninja

I wouldn't call it "pointless and irritating", but I agree that the real thing isn't that great a subject for a LEGO model. Remember, building with LEGO is often about compromises. The model should be accurate, but it also has to look good. You can't sacrifice aesthetics for accuracy, because it doesn't matter how accurate a model is if most people don't enjoy looking at it. At this scale, maybe that means you have to change the shape a bit. Definitely a lot of improvement needed for this model.

The LHC in general is a very cool concept but this particular model looks bland to me too. It's not quickly recognizable, and even after reading the description it doesn't look much like the real thing to me (which itself is far from distinctive, basically a large pipe). The larger version he made is much more impressive, but would obviously not be suitable for a set.