Gideon

Inside Kaliphlin: Day 5 - The Dune Sea

The Dune Sea

Heading north on our journey from the waterlogged marshes in the Akhenaten delta, where the Qar-Akhen river meets the Southern Ocean, the landscape quickly turns arid. Here we find the Dune Sea, with its great sand dunes stretching for leagues.

In some places among the dunes there are sources of water so the area is not completely uninhabited, but the ever-shifting sands mean that the settlements usually have to be abandoned when they are swallowed by the dunes. One such settlement in the western part of the Dune Sea is depicted in the postcard below.

The beauty of the landscape is usually enough to attract the occasional tourist. A less known highlight is that the sand dunes also offers great possibilities to ride wooden boards down the slopes, something that the local people have used as a means of transportation for hundreds of years. While maybe not as fast as skiing down the slopes of the Rakath Mountains, this offers southern Kaliphlin’s best opportunities for the speed enthusiast!

9087358979_50eb93706f_c.jpg

9089576236_c0b0ac8b15_c.jpg

Another painting of just the ruins and sand dune:

9089672978_cdf87e5884_c.jpg

Previous stops on the tour of Kaliphlin:

Day 1 - The Withered Woods

Day 2 - The Jungles of Gorr

Day 3 - The Lone Mountain

Day 4 - The Qar-Akhen Marshes

Edited by Gideon

those are the best LEGO dunes I've ever seen! Great job Gideon!

Great work capturing the look of sand dunes :thumbup: The building itself looks very Kaliphlin :wub:

Sand-boarding sounds like fun :laugh:

I just love these colours together. Sand is our gift and our curse, you have totally nailed it with this.

:classic:

Gideon, you have done a great job capturing the feel of the dune sea here! This looks absolutely amazing!

Really awesome job here Gideon, every time I look at it it looks better, the smoothness of the build is beautiful! Excellent job portraying the dunes, and I hope those who were wanting some sand are satisfied!

Simply beautiful. Great to see the use of the globe piece, i got a few on sale as well and was thinking to put them on the roofs, It is a welcome diversion from the tan-only spheres.

Beautiful ruins, love them

Awesome work :thumbup: :thumbup: Ilove how you recreate the sand invading the house :wub_drool:

I know I said this when you posted the WIP pictures, but this is still one of my favorite builds in all of GOH. Great job.

Brilliant. Very fitting for a sandy region. I love that the sand overtook the place. The globe piece is smartly used. I didn't even realize at first, so it is seamless.

Keep up the great work.

I really like this build, the sand overtaking the house is just brilliant. I also really like the way you did the sand dunes to the back, the clean lines and color palate are perfect.

Very nice dunes! And the planet dome is a clever idea :wink:

Great job, making such an appealing making with just a few colors! And the sand/dunes are indeed one of the best I've seen!

Ah, beautiful composition Gideon. The lack of minifigs really adds to the atmosphere of romantic, slow decay. I'm loving these tourism mocs and this might be my favourite so far. :wub:

Fantastic use of those long sloped bricks. I was talking with Ska about how impressive this sand work is. The only things I can think of that would improve this MOC would be to make it in white instead of tan, with a different arch and a fir tree! :laugh: