becauseBATMAN

[MOC] Arkham Asylum Expansion [Modular-style Add-on]

Hello everyone, I completed modifications and a modular-style add-on for Lego #10937 Arkham Asylum.

I did my best to keep it really simple and the build was very fun to complete. The width of the add-on is 18 studs, which brings the total width to 26:

9105161724_14a077d2bc_o.jpg

9121824621_8364cf379d_o.jpg

Here's a small tour of the inside:

9124065422_f1bbf784ee_o.jpg

-- You're greeted by a security officer at the front door who takes a scan of your hand

9124062346_e50d949241_o.jpg

-- Flowers in the left corner and a waiting area on the right side

9121829451_4034b7f6b6_o.jpg

-- Wooden benches and a newspaper (this is where Harley Quinn's make-up desk used to be)

9121838401_fe6c9a1c1f_o.jpg

-- Right across the waiting area is a wooden door to an unknown room. I'll share the inside at the end :laugh:

9121839119_bd45efce09_o.jpg

-- Walk past the security officer at the front desk and you'll see a fountain and two gargoyle statues

9124061314_5ba8a68582_o.jpg

9124064002_4b28de8e3e_o.jpg

-- Past the fountain, there is a staircase...

9121841901_5a9f9b0a60_o.jpg

-- And a cage-style elevator (it works!)

9124060118_e8db3b6563_o.jpg

-- But first lets walk around the stairs and take a look at the Recreation / Privilege Room...

9124059214_60b4eee07a_o.jpg

9121831495_4f578f5bdd_o.jpg

-- You're greeted by a security officer with a rifle and walkie-talkie. There is also a metal detector right next to him to prevent visitors sneaking items inside :tongue:

9088730045_07e877305c_o.jpg

-- Bruce Wayne is on the tv! Riddler and Croc are playing cards and eating drumsticks.

9121840055_ce36b4dfb5_o.jpg

-- There is a vending machine, water fountain and telephone as well

9124057298_bf93ab4bfd_o.jpg

-- EDIT: I admit that the Recreation / Privilege Room may seem really strange or out-of-place at first, but it is actually a small reference to an episode from the original animated series, #41 "Joker's Wild"

arkhamprivilegeroom_zps77d7407e.jpg

-- The Scarecrow and Mad Hatter play chess while Poison Ivy lounges on the couch, watching the television. A security guard watches over them carefully with a shotgun, while The Joker walks in and changes the television channel, sending Poison Ivy into a fit

-- Let's leave the Recreation Room and go up the staircase now to the 2nd level....

9124064002_4b28de8e3e_o.jpg

9124060562_9b2ce8e7d5_o.jpg

-- The first thing you see when you arrive on top is a black ladder and Poison Ivy's cell

9091974938_64300a546c_o.jpg

-- Here is Poison Ivy's section. There is a narrow walkway for the security officer, fire extinguisher, and a red, swivel flap-door to keep unauthorized people out. There is also a computer screen scanning Poison Ivy's body. The roof is also exposed so that the security officer can look down on the villains using the Recreation Room

-- Let's go up that ladder now...

9124053722_cc92730fc8_o.jpg

9124108100_c0ac10ccc3_o.jpg

-- There is a guarded walkway to Mr. Freeze's holding cell

9088727125_616572fbe1_o.jpg

-- There is also a mechanism holding his cold-suit

-- Let's crawl down the ladder and walk back down the staircase...

9121834863_dbe619f652_o.jpg

9105154586_d42c3799ab_o.jpg

-- And take the elevator! The button to call the elevator is hidden behind the cage-door

9102927287_64bd5d2e61_o.jpg

-- I made this side clear because I wanted to have a better view of the elevator's occupants

9124053164_83e8b3fd59_o.jpg

-- A very simple wheel and rope piece that is moved with your finger....

9121842443_f854148b91_o.jpg

-- Here's the elevator's entrance/exit on the second floor (elevator button on the left side)

-- And here is the view of the 2nd floor from inside the elevator....

9089498756_748d515f4d_o.jpg

BANE!

9089498200_3b37cfedf9_o.jpg

-- Bane's original exposure to the Venom drug was in Peña Duro Prison. So here in my Arkham, I have Hugo Strange experimenting with Venom. He is trying to make a much stronger and enhanced version...

9124127002_17d8ce96b9_o.jpg

-- Here is the Venom-Enhancer machine. The original solution from Peña Duro is in the green flask on the right side, on top of the computer. The machine takes the green solution and mixes it to create the enhanced Venom. Next, it fills the new solution into triangular canisters. There is rack on the left side, holding two canisters

-- TMNT Secret of the Ooze came on tv while I was building so this is where I got the canister idea from :grin:

9087279847_60ca46c2c8_o.jpg

-- Hugo Strange has removed the cap and is inserting the canister into the Venom injector machine...

9089497176_5381cef319_o.jpg

9121835883_54e7780f99_o.jpg

-- I added white drawers in the back. I thought about adding something on top but I decided not to because I wanted a clear view of the windows

9121836933_072445366f_o.jpg

-- Exposed floor, showing the fountain

-- Now here is the small section right on top of the clinic area. It holds items for the security officers...

9124054762_a70eb7c82b_o.jpg

-- Fire extinguisher, guns, a complete manifest of all the inmates, and a huge panic button supplied by Batman. Security officers will use this if an inmate escapes :tongue:

9124063550_63136de812_o.jpg

-- There is a walkway leading to the roof...

9124052768_f4cf46d91e_o.jpg

-- Walkie talkie and binocular holder on the left side

-- So about that wooden door now....

9124055202_cf34092357_o.jpg

-- You insert the key, turn it 90 degrees....

9124058180_308150e090_o.jpg

-- And pull out the secret room.....

9089760287_ce12f1cb5a_o.jpg

-- I enjoyed the hidden make-up desk inside the original set, so I decided to expand on that concept.

A moc within a moc :look: brickception!!

9091979552_d3ac77a93e_o.jpg

-- The room is covered in Joker posters and Harley has even X-ed out the Batman symbol :devil:

-- On the floor is a particular book. The DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders)

9091980248_0be377aa29_o.jpg

-- Funny enough, she's hollowed it out to store a shiny dagger :tongue::devil:

9105158764_cb0f52af8f_o.jpg

9088926115_c0605469be_o.jpg

9091145488_fffbd8790f_o.jpg

Thanks for looking! Comments and suggestions are welcome

Edited by becauseBATMAN

Very nice add on! Arkham is much larger now, and it looks amazing. I love all the new cells and while I find the Privilage room a bit out there (It's easy enough for people to break out of Arkham!), I most of all love Harley's secret room! Great job!

Wow! :wub: Vary awesome MOC. I really like Harleys secret room and I love all the detail. Have you ever played Arkham Asylum? In the game DR. Penelope Young worked on

a enhanced unstable version of venom, called Titan and experimented on Bane. the stuff works like Banes 'cept turns people into monsters! :laugh: Well done my friend! :thumbup:

Amazing! I like concept and every detail.

I have a plan to make modularized Arkham. It spires me.

Thank you for sharing.

Thanks for sharing. This is a great addition to the official set. As much as I want the set, I will definitely have to mod it to something similar to this. You've done well here. I don't like the privilege room, but I think I'd be a strict warden.

The hidden room is brilliant and very well done. And I really like the lab with Bane. Very fitting for that version.

Very nice add on! Arkham is much larger now, and it looks amazing. I love all the new cells and while I find the Privilage room a bit out there (It's easy enough for people to break out of Arkham!), I most of all love Harley's secret room! Great job!

Thanks for sharing. This is a great addition to the official set. As much as I want the set, I will definitely have to mod it to something similar to this. You've done well here. I don't like the privilege room, but I think I'd be a strict warden.

The hidden room is brilliant and very well done. And I really like the lab with Bane. Very fitting for that version.

Thank you Captain and Doctor! It's always a pleasure to receive comments from well-respected forum members :sweet:

The Recreation / Privilege Room may seem a bit odd at first - You'd expect all of Arkham's inmates to be on strict lock-down. But it is actually a small reference to Batman episode #41 'Joker's Wild' from the original animated series:

arkhamprivilegeroom_zps77d7407e.jpg

The Mad Hatter and Scarecrow are playing chess while Poison Ivy lounges on the couch, watching TV. A security officer watches over them closely and The Joker comes waltzing in and changes the television station. In episode #82 'Lock-Up', Harley Quinn also mentions inmate privileges that are taken away by Lyle Bolton

Amazing! I like concept and every detail.

I have a plan to make modularized Arkham. It spires me.

Thank you for sharing.

Awesome work, I love the details… especially's Harley's room.

Beautifully done. Very impressive details.

Nice job! The official set was in desperate need of an upgrade.

Thank you!

Looks awesome. I see you left the back open, possibly room to grow?

Thank you! Yes, I included a holed brick at the bottom for more possible expansions. I honestly wanted to add more, but I didn't have the required pieces :wacko: One day though... lol

Wow! :wub: Vary awesome MOC. I really like Harleys secret room and I love all the detail. Have you ever played Arkham Asylum? In the game DR. Penelope Young worked on

a enhanced unstable version of venom, called Titan and experimented on Bane. the stuff works like Banes 'cept turns people into monsters! :laugh: Well done my friend! :thumbup:

Thank you! Whoa, I completely forgot about that game and the Titan serum. I got a moment of clarity while reading your comment LOL. I should have replaced Hugo Strange with Penelope Young! I appreciate the comments mate!

Edited by becauseBATMAN

Thank you Captain and Doctor! It's always a pleasure to receive comments from well-respected forum members :sweet:

The Recreation / Privilege Room may seem a bit odd at first - You'd expect all of Arkham's inmates to be on strict lock-down. But it is actually a small reference to Batman episode #41 'Joker's Wild' from the original animated series:

The Mad Hatter and Scarecrow are playing chess while Poison Ivy lounges on the couch, watching TV. A security officer watches over them closely and The Joker comes waltzing in and changes the television station. In episode #82 'Lock-Up', Harley Quinn also mentions inmate privileges that are taken away by Lyle Bolton

Hahaha! It also shows up in Joker's Millions! (Don't quote B:TAS to me! I'm the master! :devil: ) Either way, while I think it's a strange thing it does make your Arkham unique (I've not seen it in other Arkham builds). And I guess the whole concept of the room does depend on the style of the villains and how dangerous they are portrayed (It works for the B:TAS villains, probably wouldn’t work for the Arkham Asylum/City style villains).

Now that's an AWESOME modification 'becauseBATMAN', so much detail is just fantastic.........Bat-Brick On 'becauseBATMAN' ! :grin:

This makes me so happy to see... I love me some good Batman mocs and what you have done makes this really pop and feel alive. Great job! I wish I could buy that as a set

Bro this is great! Very well done love how you designed the back. Might have to use some of your inside detail, there is so much greatness about it!

Hahaha! It also shows up in Joker's Millions! (Don't quote B:TAS to me! I'm the master! :devil: ) Either way, while I think it's a strange thing it does make your Arkham unique (I've not seen it in other Arkham builds). And I guess the whole concept of the room does depend on the style of the villains and how dangerous they are portrayed (It works for the B:TAS villains, probably wouldn’t work for the Arkham Asylum/City style villains).

LOL! touché Captain, touché :wink:

Now that's an AWESOME modification 'becauseBATMAN', so much detail is just fantastic.........Bat-Brick On 'becauseBATMAN' ! :grin:

This makes me so happy to see... I love me some good Batman mocs and what you have done makes this really pop and feel alive. Great job! I wish I could buy that as a set

Bro this is great! Very well done love how you designed the back. Might have to use some of your inside detail, there is so much greatness about it!

Very nice modification! I might do that as well! Thanks!

Thank you!

Love the details, especially Harley's room, the Bane experimentation and the Freeze modifications: All perfect!

I've pretty much left mine untouched up until now as it looks like it can be enhanced and improved successfully. Thanks for sharing!

Love the details, especially Harley's room, the Bane experimentation and the Freeze modifications: All perfect!

I've pretty much left mine untouched up until now as it looks like it can be enhanced and improved successfully. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks and no problem! I'm happy that it gave you some ideas for your own modifications, cheers!

Seriously amazing work. Well done! Love the Bane/Strange room. God help Strange if he does enhance Bane further!! ;)

Thanks for the comments! LOL maybe I need to make a back-break scene with Hugo now

That is an awesome add-on! I've hoped someone would do this, glad I came through this theme's forum. If this where a complete set, I'd probably buy one, I love the added features and it not being overwhelmingly large. Very well done :classic:

looks amazing. I may have to borrow some of the ideas for my own Arkham moc, namely Mr Freeze's holding cell and the metal detector. My moc idea is based on the inmates breaking out of Arkham though.

I love this MOC! The special touches, like Dr. Quinzel's secret room AND the rec area, really make this a wonderful build. Bruce Wayne on the TV is hilarious! Thanks for sharing these pics.

This is brilliant MOC and really gives the Arkham Asylum some strength and depth. i'd love to see those pesky studs covered with floor finishes though...but I understand piece constraint or playability as a good reason to leave them exposed :D

So so so late to the party... I don't know how I ever missed this thread!

This is awesome.

I am performing necromancy in the hope that others, who may have missed it, get a shot at seeing it.

Although some images no longer exists.