Not sure where I should post this, but today on http://www.qwertee.com/ there is a t-shirt on the Lego Movie theme (more precisely, about the spaceship spaceship spaceship).

(only available today, 13h left from now)

Why does it say "the Spaceship" 3 times?

Why not SPACESHIP 3 times? Honestly kinda ruins it for me :P.

Why does it say "the Spaceship" 3 times?

Why not SPACESHIP 3 times? Honestly kinda ruins it for me :P.

It's a play on The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.

It's a play on The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.

Even knowing this, I still think the connection is too weak... needs Benny in a poncho or something.

Finally got around to seeing this film.

Loved it - I would like to see some sequels, or rather, future installments.

Something based on the old Adventurers theme mixed with something new could make for a great film.

Include Johnny Thunder (who briefly showed up in the film a few times) and the old crew as the main characters, and there ya go!

Or perhaps... a LEGO western or something.

That part of the film really brought me back to the old wild west stuff, especially the game cutscenes from the LEGOLand game and such.

Not sure how well that would work as a standalone, but if they can manage to conjure up something good for a future installment, I'm all for it.

Edited by General Magma

I don't really like the idea of giving the film a sequel. Warner Bros. says it's happening, but I don't see any way to continue the story. I honestly think they should just give the creative team another property if they want a hit. Besides, any sequel would have to deal with us knowing that it's all pretend, and that sort of devalues the original movie's ending.

Edited by NegativesAccount

I don't really like the idea of giving the film a sequel. Warner Bros. says it's happening, but I don't see any way to continue the story. I honestly think they should just give the creative team another property if they want a hit. Besides, any sequel would have to deal with us knowing that it's all pretend, and that sort of devalues the original movie's ending.

It doesn't need to "continue the story", at least not directly. The movie did a fantastic job creating a playful, creative universe that is a perfect foundation for creating new stories.

And is it really "all pretend"? I think that may be overstating things a bit. Emmet's world was definitely born from the imaginations of Finn and his father, but that isn't to say it isn't real on some level (particularly to the people living in it). Think of it this way — how do we even know for certain that OUR world is real, and isn't being dreamed up by some outside consciousness? We don't, but that doesn't mean that stories taking place in our world are devalued by that possibility.

Also compare an idea explored thoroughly in the fantasy works of Neil Gaiman. Gods, in many of his stories, are real because people imagine and believe in them. If they didn't have any mortal belief to sustain themselves, they would cease to exist. The same could be said for Emmet and his friends. Finn's imagination gives them not only life, but identity. Without Finn's creative intervention, Emmet probably WOULD be just an "average, ordinary, generic construction worker", not a hero with unlimited creative potential.

In this sense, the story is dependent on its storyteller, which could make for all kinds of interesting future stories. We've already seen how Emmet's world changes when the Man Upstairs and his daughter join Finn as storytellers. What would happen to Emmet's world if Finn were to lose interest in LEGO and begin to enter his "dark ages"? What about if he were bullied by his classmates for liking LEGO, and the types of stories he told changed as a result? The only thing that is lost due to the reveal of the movie's parallel worlds is the element of surprise. Saving the reveal of the events in Finn's world until the third act would not work so well in a sequel because viewers would be anticipating and looking for clues to what is going on behind the scenes. However, that doesn't mean they couldn't be addressed earlier.

I really like your Dark Ages storyline idea Aanchir.

Kinda stupid idea I had but what if there was a sequel where Finn lost interest and packed away all his favorite minifigs (Emmet, Wyldstyle, Batman, MetalBeard, Uni-Kitty, Benny) and they freaked out and Benny told them a story about him being (for him this must have meant he was really popular in kid TMU's Lego) the Man Upstairs' favorite and the scare of the Kragle with Vitruvius hiding it being kind of a prequel in a sequel and then the minifigs convince TMU to convince Finn to like Lego again.

Sorry if that was confusing.

I'd say it wasn't all necessarily pretend. Emmet was still thinking when he was outside of his world, and dropped down the table by moving around by himself eventually.

Though I for sure would've preferred for the movie to have showcased it all EXACTLY as an actual (fictional) universe without the real world things showing. Oh well!

If you're telling the LEGO world part, obviously this has been proven wrong by other longterm LEGO themes which are longer than three seasons, like Bionicle, Chima or Friends. I've never heard that "LEGO is lack of creativity so the themes and stories can't be continued". Also, those themes I named haven't really joined the LEGO Movie world at all. It's not your fault, but I don't think those FOLs are happy to hear your saying. :devil:

For the real-world part, well, it's indeed trickier than the LEGO world part, and maybe the LEGO world part has to include some metaphors from the real world. However there are still ways to deal with it. Suppose that Finn's family have done with TLM by three films :grin: , maybe their relatives, friends or neighbors heard the stories and continue the series with very different storytelling and background events.

I think, in a different aspect, all LEGO theme stories are all made to pretend. There is no difference whether that story is composed by Finn, a TLG member or a professional writer. We just have to follow the figures and regard them as characters of a story and that's enough.

Sorry to say I'm not a fan of dark age idea since it's already been used by Toy Story, even though it's a very common and representive issue for FOLs. Unless the writers could find a creative way to make it work. For example, giving Finn's sister a leading role so she can tell what happened to her brother and how she and her father continue Finn's story, which is what Molly Davis from TS didn't do at all in the third film.

Edited by Dorayaki

The movie's original ending didn't say that it was 100% pretend. The minifigure was... moving and thinking in the "real world". It's just the Lego world might largely be influenced and often controlled by the actions of IMAGINATION!

Spongebob-spongebob-squarepants-31007968-259-194.jpg

That's how I interpreted it anyways. After all no little kid can make up a story that good. :P Little kids suck at writing.

I think the main issue is... CAN they do better? The Lego movie was freakin' excellent and topping it would be really freakin' tough. I kind of don't like sequels unless they can do the original justice enough. Even matching or coming close to the quality of the first movie will be really hard. AND they're not using the same writer! I'd say it'll most likely be worse. Maybe significantly worse (because it's such a good movie!).

The movie's original ending didn't say that it was 100% pretend. The minifigure was... moving and thinking in the "real world". It's just the Lego world might largely be influenced and often controlled by the actions of IMAGINATION!

Spongebob-spongebob-squarepants-31007968-259-194.jpg

That's how I interpreted it anyways. After all no little kid can make up a story that good. :P Little kids suck at writing.

I think the main issue is... CAN they do better? The Lego movie was freakin' excellent and topping it would be really freakin' tough. I kind of don't like sequels unless they can do the original justice enough. Even matching or coming close to the quality of the first movie will be really hard. AND they're not using the same writer! I'd say it'll most likely be worse. Maybe significantly worse (because it's such a good movie!).

Personally, the way I feel about sequels is different. I don't think they have to measure up to the original necessarily — they just have to be good in their own right. And when your first installment is as spectacular as The LEGO Movie was, there's PLENTY of room for a sequel to fall short of that while still being a good movie.

I dont find topic and I dont want to start new, but Im interested what new lego state (world) in next lego movie you want to see.

I would like to see technic mecha mine that can be seen on Lord Bussines map http://www.rockraidersunited.com/uploads/gallery/album_291/gallery_5463_291_122666.jpg .

There can be some ultimate chase or battle with robots.This world must look dark and technical like some iron works or technic pages from old catalogues with full of heavy machinery and robots.

Forest of obsolete products???

I never noticed that before

I bet Scala and Galidor are hidden there :laugh:

Forest of obsolete products???

I never noticed that before

I bet Scala and Galidor are hidden there :laugh:

For sure, but where are one wave wonders like lone ranger and speed racers. Edited by Ondra

Anyone else notice any movie goofs? These aren't big, but I just wanted to point them out. :tongue:

-Sci

Rather than a goof, it's more like a plothole

The whole film was Finn using his imagination to create all what we saw in the movie using his father's sets in the basement: The submarine, Benny Spaceship, ...

But, what about the new pieces? President Business hairpiece, Wyldstyle hairpiece, Unikitty's tail.... Where did he take those from?

Those pieces didn't exist before The LEGO Movie, and if Finn was using them, and we saw he was, that has to mean that..... Finn's father owns The LEGO Movie sets.

For example, while Finn and his father were talking we saw physically the "Where are my Pants?" Guy and the President Business with the unbuttoned suit. So, Finn's father has The LEGO Movie CMF, because that's the only way to get them.

Butt Finn and his father are characters of The LEGO Movie. So, they have sets based on what they were doing right in that moment?

How is that even possible?

Maybe his father is not purist and made some pieces himself or lego movie is in dimension where these lego pieces exist before.This is only movie mainly for kids, so searching something that there isnt doesnt seems to me like fun. :wink:

Rather than a goof, it's more like a plothole

The whole film was Finn using his imagination to create all what we saw in the movie using his father's sets in the basement: The submarine, Benny Spaceship, ...

But, what about the new pieces? President Business hairpiece, Wyldstyle hairpiece, Unikitty's tail.... Where did he take those from?

Those pieces didn't exist before The LEGO Movie, and if Finn was using them, and we saw he was, that has to mean that..... Finn's father owns The LEGO Movie sets.

For example, while Finn and his father were talking we saw physically the "Where are my Pants?" Guy and the President Business with the unbuttoned suit. So, Finn's father has The LEGO Movie CMF, because that's the only way to get them.

Butt Finn and his father are characters of The LEGO Movie. So, they have sets based on what they were doing right in that moment?

How is that even possible?

It's important to remember that even the live-action portion of The LEGO Movie is a work of fiction, and as such it might not be just like "real life". In The LEGO Movie's universe, those parts and figures might have been introduced in other themes.

This isn't a problem that is exclusive to The LEGO Movie, either. TV Tropes has a whole page on the Celebrity Paradox. Even if a work takes place in "our world" rather than some fantasy world, it will often (by necessity) take place in a version of our world that is slightly different from our own. In the TV shows Sherlock and Elementary, both modern-day adaptations of Sherlock Holmes stories, nobody ever asks Sherlock Holmes "Hey, isn't it ironic that you and a lot of your friends and enemies are named for characters from Sherlock Holmes stories?" Rather, it's implied that in those shows' universes, either the Sherlock Holmes stories never existed or simply aren't as well-known as in real life.

Edited by Aanchir

As you may already know, The LEGO Movie was nominated for an Oscar for Best Original Song with "Everything Is Awesome" (Shawn Patterson).

Believe it or not, The LEGO Movie wasn't nominated for Best Animated Film :sadnew:

EDIT: I didn't know this was being disscused in the General LEGO Discussion forum. Sorry :blush:

Edited by Robert8

Believe it or not, The LEGO Movie wasn't nominated for Best Animated Film :sadnew:

I saw that. It's strange, because the only other one I knew about was mediocre.

Shocked that this movie was snubbed, by far one of the top movies this year. On another note I've really loved the little info coming out on the upcoming movies.

i was actually thinking about that mystery not that long ago. i realized that i shouldn't try to question the logic of a movie that i don't even like so i quit trying to solve the mystery. At one point i was going "ok, we have sets based off stuff seen in the movie but the stuff was built from stuff in the dad's collection but how is that possible when the stuff was only brought into an existence during the course of a movie but couldn't exist to be built when there were no such sets".

At that point I went, "ok dum-dum, you don't even like the movie and the only way that you'll probably watch it again is under reasons of boredom and if it comes on a main channel to be dvr'd for free, so why are you giving yourself a migraine trying to figure out the logic of the thing?"

Loved the chorus of CMF singing Everything is Awesome at the Oscars Ceremony :laugh:

The S3 Mummy and the S1 Circus Clown and Larry the Barista looked hilarious wearing robes

And they used the Truck Driver again despite not being a CMF.... yet e.e

Edited by Robert8