I don't know how well The Lego Movie will do as a franchise, because parents and kids will probably get tired of Lego's and stop buying them. By the time, a new Lego Movie comes out, ticket prices for the movie theater will probably be like 30-60 dollars per person.

By the time, a new Lego Movie comes out, ticket prices for the movie theater will probably be like 30-60 dollars per person.

...I can't see tickets prices doubling in matter of two to three years...

Regarding Warner Bros. thinking that a Lego Movie franchise is evergreen.

With the varying Lego themes and characters, and the vast and wild imagination of writers, A Lego Movie could easily be cranked out every three years or so.

I don't know how well The Lego Movie will do as a franchise, because parents and kids will probably get tired of Lego's and stop buying them.

They will get tired. People grow up, but the rate of kids getting into Lego is far greater than those backing out. As long as Lego keeps making product that's fresh, there will always be Lego fans.

I don't know how well The Lego Movie will do as a franchise, because parents and kids will probably get tired of Lego's and stop buying them. By the time, a new Lego Movie comes out, ticket prices for the movie theater will probably be like 30-60 dollars per person.

The thing about movie franchises, though, is that new installments can attract a brand-new set of fans. Unlike LEGO sets, which are rarely available on store shelves for more than two years, successful movies are easy to continue publishing so that people who missed their original premiere can still enjoy them. And that prepares them to enjoy new installments.

Not saying this is what I want The LEGO Movie franchise to become, but look at The Land Before Time as an example of a franchise with impeccable staying power. There were thirteen installments released between 1988 and 2007, plus a 26-episode TV series released in 2007. Of course, unlike The LEGO Movie, only the first movie got an actual theatrical release, with the rest being direct-to-video or direct-to-DVD releases.

It also shouldn't be forgotten that The LEGO Movie had plenty of adult appeal, even among adults who hadn't played with LEGO in years but still had plenty of nostalgia for their childhood LEGO experiences. So even if kids were to grow out of playing with LEGO, they could still enjoy the film franchise and even seek share it with a younger generation of kids.

The Lego Movie was so good that I really highly doubt the second one can match it. I predict a B movie. Especially now that the original writer is out.

So will the 'Everything is awesome' edition of the Lego movie DVD (The one with the pre-blinded Vitruvius) be available in the UK, or just the USA? I'd hate to miss out... :(

So will the 'Everything is awesome' edition of the Lego movie DVD (The one with the pre-blinded Vitruvius) be available in the UK, or just the USA? I'd hate to miss out... :(

sadly it looks like we will miss out again :(

The Lego Movie was so good that I really highly doubt the second one can match it. I predict a B movie. Especially now that the original writer is out.

This is the sort of thing I have trouble with, though. If the first movie was so spectacular, then the second movie doesn't have to match it to be good or enjoyable. It's sort of the same way I feel about a lot of the shows and movie series I enjoy. Obviously I don't expect every installment to be of the same quality, but that doesn't mean the weaker installments are bad. Far from it.

Anyway, people tend to forget that even The LEGO Movie wasn't purely the work of Phil Lord and Chris Miller. The original story for it was developed by Dan and Kevin Hageman (who then went on to write the LEGO Ninjago TV series) before being handed over to Phil Lord and Chris Miller for refinement. Lord and Miller gave the movie a lot of its punchy and subversive wit, but they were not the original writers and were not responsible for the movie's overarching structure or ints central characters. If they could create something brilliant from the Hageman brothers' initial groundwork, what's preventing a new set of writers and directors from doing the same using the first movie's universe and characters as their foundation?

Some people have made a big deal of the fact that the writers currently handling the sequel to The LEGO Movie don't have nearly as many outstanding screenwriting credits to their name as Lord and Miller do. But keep in mind that the Hageman brothers were complete unknowns when they started working on the initial story treatments for the LEGO Movie, and when Lord and Miller took over, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs was their ONLY theatrical film credit. Jared Stern, one of the writers working on the sequel, has worked on the story and screenplay for multiple Disney films, including Wreck-It Ralph, which is very similar to The LEGO Movie in a lot of ways. And while Michelle Morgan has pretty no screenwriting credits for family films to her name, that's still better than the Hageman brothers' credentials when they began working on The LEGO Movie (i.e. no screenwriting credits at all).

Edited by Aanchir

Well it's done good but not near perfect to me, because there is still room for the sequel to tell story:

1: "Other worlds that we don't talk about", it sounds kinda offensive in the original film. If these are well-highlited in the second film, the film may be another success.

2: Finn's other relationships and family members in his real life. The original one is sitll about a typical relationship between father ans son, but no opposite gender or peer impact yet.

These don't ensure a success of sequel, it still depends on scriptwriting skills. But IMO the first movie wasn't able to tell the whole thing, and a sequel do help TLM accomplish what it couldn't achieve.

Edited by Dorayaki

Well it's done good but not near perfect to me, because there is still room for the sequel to tell story:

1: "Other worlds that we don't talk about", it sounds kinda offensive in the original film. If these are well-highlited in the second film, the film may be another success.

2: Finn's other relationships and family members in his real life. The original one is sitll about a typical relationship between father ans son, but no opposite gender or peer impact yet.

These don't ensure a success of sequel, it still depends on scriptwriting skills. But IMO the first movie wasn't able to tell the whole thing, and a sequel do help TLM accomplish what it couldn't achieve.

How do people keep misquoting that line? It wasn't "other worlds we don't talk about" but rather "a bunch of others we don't need to mention". It wasn't skipping over them because they're somehow unmentionable or worthy of scorn, but rather because if Wyldstyle listed every single Lego theme that single conversation would take ages! I wouldn't doubt that themes like Friends and Bionicle (or at least Hero Factory) could make an appearance in the sequel, but let's stop pretending that their split-second cameo in the movie was meant as an insult rather than as an easy way to pay tribute to some of Lego's less traditional themes.

It wasn't skipping over them because they're somehow unmentionable or worthy of scorn, but rather because if Wyldstyle listed every single Lego theme that single conversation would take ages! I wouldn't doubt that themes like Friends and Bionicle (or at least Hero Factory) could make an appearance in the sequel, but let's stop pretending that their split-second cameo in the movie was meant as an insult rather than as an easy way to pay tribute to some of Lego's less traditional themes.

That's pretty true. :grin: I wasn't very convinced mostly because some themes happend to be both not mentioned by Wyldstyle and actually absent from the whole film. So as said just hope the next plot can share more lights with unused themes. Edited by Dorayaki

I'm watching it now. So many little details that you just couldn't pause and look at in the theater...

I WANT A PRINTED WAFFLE PIECE!!!!

So... The original mention of the Everything Is Awesome edition seemed to indicate that it might be a Wal-Mart exclusive, then Amazon added it to their listings...

...and then removed the pricing for it, and the ability to pre-order it.

Is it back to being a Wal-Mart exclusive?

(I'd hate to actually have to step foot into one of those stores.)

Apparently Amazon is feuding with Warner Brothers, and that is why the movie isn't available with them.

Edited by rollermonkey

The fued is over as far as I'm aware. Target, Best Buy, Kmart, Wal-Mart, Amazon, Barnes & Noble all have it listed for sale. Methinks it isn't an exclusive everywhere...

With that said, I don't know if I can justify $35 for the blu-ray and figure (I have no interest in 3D), vs $18 just for the blu-ray. That figure may go for a lot in the after market, but is he really worth $17 just for him?? All I really want is his head anyway.

What are everyone's thoughts?

Well in the UK it looks like we wont get at all, the figure that is

I plan on picking up the normal $18 Version of the movie tommorow. I don't really have any use for the Vitruvius other than a display piece. Plus I'm saving up money for a spree this summer :grin: