I understand that you are very passionate about your favorite theme, but you are being kind of overly defensive to people's disagreements about how a Ninjago movie would fare in comparison to a movie you haven't even seen. Take a breath. No one said it was going to flop, just that it wouldn't pull in the record-breaking numbers that the LEGO Movie is doing right this minute.

As a quick study, I last night I asked a group of five adults (not including myself) and four children if they would go see a Ninjago movie. All of this group has seen and liked the LEGO Movie, with three of the adults and three of the children having seen it twice. Of the five adults one said they would see it, two said if there was a good trailer they might consider it, and two said they'd pass. Of the four kids, one (11 year old) said they'd go see it for sure, one (8 year old) said they'd go see it if one of the adults (who didn't want to see it) went with them, and two (9 year old, 12 year old) said definitely not.

Your argument is that you asked 9 people if they would see a movie about NINJAGO. Let me guess, Facebook friends, perhaps? Nine people is no indication of 7 billion people. You say that you are not claiming, that no one is claiming, that the NINJAGO movie would flop and yet then you turn around and say that a maximum of 4 out of 9 people will go and see it, with a minimum of 2 out of 9.

Do you not see the hypocrisy in your own statement? Go back two years ago and ask people if they would have willingly watched a movie about LEGO. Very few people would actually say yes. You're saying a movie due in around two years cannot possibly compare with one just released. Only the cast, producers, writers and the director have been announced. Not even a hint at the plot.

So tell me, if you told nine people two years ago whether or not they would see a movie about a "Chosen One" that was actually a bumbling idiot who was in reality controlled by a young child with daddy issues, I'm sure you would get a very negative result. It's too early to make any claims just yet. Considering NINJAGO's current state, I can't actually say I would want to see a NINJAGO movie.

Your own argument about two movies I haven't seen is also hypocrisy, because you're saying that a movie you haven't even seen couldn't possibly fare up to a movie you have seen.

Edited by JayWalker

Also, I think that a sequel would be a bad idea. :sceptic: It could be good If the directors can think of a good enough storyline and pull it off well, but I'd rather it would end with just the one film, it had a perfect ending and I wouldn't want it to be ruined by potentially bad and unnecessary sequels... But it's a long way of so I guess I'll have to wait and see...

I disagree with that since there are many story ideas not applied, and many themes unused, which is really disspaointing to certain fans. It just depends on how the plot writers devote. Also, if the future movies are independent enough, I don't think they'll ruin the whole plot of the first movie.

Yeah, that's basically what I think too. Since non-FOLs have probably not even heard of it. :sceptic:

Depends. As mentioned, maybe the movie would try to target at those who never watch Ninjago TV series but just some moviegoers who watched the TLM, so maybe the movie would focus on an original character or add some flashbacks in order to help the audience. Or maybe the movie would just be an independent canon so we don't have to watch the TV prequels (not sure if it works).

I finally got to see the film yesterday and really liked it. For the sequel, I'd love to see the Marvel characters interact with the DC ones. I know the Film was made by WB and most of the cameos were of WB properties ( Hobbit, Harry Potter and DC ), but WB did Make the LEGO Marvel game.

I don't know if the non-WB-related themes can't appear in TLM, but I guess the reason is a differenct conflict--- Marvel and DC already have their own crossover comic and game series. Since it's considered a special case, we can't directly realize it in the Lego world by the name of TLM. It needs the permission from both the two companies.

Edited by Dorayaki

Your argument is that you asked 9 people if they would see a movie about NINJAGO. Let me guess, Facebook friends, perhaps? Nine people is no indication of 7 billion people. You say that you are not claiming, that no one is claiming, that the NINJAGO movie would flop and yet then you turn around and say that a maximum of 4 out of 9 people will go and see it, with a minimum of 2 out of 9.

Do you not see the hypocrisy in your own statement? Go back two years ago and ask people if they would have willingly watched a movie about LEGO. Very few people would actually say yes. You're saying a movie due in around two years cannot possibly compare with one just released. Only the cast, producers, writers and the director have been announced. Not even a hint at the plot.

So tell me, if you told nine people two years ago whether or not they would see a movie about a "Chosen One" that was actually a bumbling idiot who was in reality controlled by a young child with daddy issues, I'm sure you would get a very negative result. It's too early to make any claims just yet. Considering NINJAGO's current state, I can't actually say I would want to see a NINJAGO movie.

Your own argument about two movies I haven't seen is also hypocrisy, because you're saying that a movie you haven't even seen couldn't possibly fare up to a movie you have seen.

I asked a room full of people, actually. Not sure what it would have mattered if it was facebook friends, but I guess if that changes your quantifier, then there you go.

Don't really feel the need to do this "arguing over the internet" thing, though, so bye!

So, finally got around to watching this. I must say, I am exceptionally impressed. The humour was very well done, and I thought the end was pretty heartwarming, especially for a kid's movie. Incredibly well done!

Can we all calm down? Of course a LEGO Ninjago movie will likely do well at the Box Office. Greg Farshtey once said Ninjago is considered "easy sell" by TLG because kids like Ninja. Ninjago is definitely a prime candidate for a theatrical film.

Now, Ninjago still has a different Audience then The LEGO Movie. The LEGO Movie had elements of Western(Which hasn't existed since the 2002 set revival), Space, City, Castle, and more. Even more, characters popped up from Adventurers, Simpsons, Star Wars, Speed Racer, DC Comics, Bionicle, Speed Racer, Fabuland, and much more-including Ninjago! The LEGO Movie combined many different things, and most of these jokes and references to past LEGO sets would be harder to put into a Ninjago Movie.

I would gladly see a Ninjago Movie. But I don't expect it to beat The LEGO Movie without some white-hot word-of-mouth buzz and a HUGE winter wave.

A Ninjago movie probably wouldn't see the same record-breaking numbers the LEGO Movie is seeing. Even as a Ninjago fan, I'll agree to that. With that said, it still has the potential to be wildly successful, because LEGO Ninjago has experienced incredible popularity and should thus have a great deal of brand-name appeal. Let's not forget that in 2011 it was the most successful launch for a new product line in LEGO history, and in 2012 it remained close behind LEGO Star Wars and LEGO City in sales.

Also, for those worrying about whether Lord and Miller will be able to work on the LEGO Movie sequel, keep in mind that they weren't attached to either The LEGO Movie OR the LEGO Ninjago movie when those projects were first greenlit. The Hageman brothers were the LEGO Movie's original screenwriters, and Dan Lin took a lot of care as producer to ensure that the movie would be faithful to the values and experience that make LEGO so appealing to such a wide audience. It's not clear how many changes the story underwent when Lord and Miller became co-writers and directors (certainly a lot of the movie's humor and satire, including the song "Everything is Awesome", came from them). But at least the basic story of the movie would have probably been in place before they became involved. The Hageman brothers share "Story by" credit with Lord and Miller in the credits to The LEGO Movie.

A Ninjago movie probably wouldn't see the same record-breaking numbers the LEGO Movie is seeing. Even as a Ninjago fan, I'll agree to that. With that said, it still has the potential to be wildly successful, because LEGO Ninjago has experienced incredible popularity and should thus have a great deal of brand-name appeal. Let's not forget that in 2011 it was the most successful launch for a new product line in LEGO history, and in 2012 it remained close behind LEGO Star Wars and LEGO City in sales.

I agree with this. I never, ever said a Ninjago movie would flop, or even do badly. Just that it wouldn't do better than or even as well as the LEGO Movie. That's it. None of my friends or their kids were as interested in the idea of a Ninjago movie as they were of a LEGO movie in general. That's the whole point I was trying to make.

The main concern I have with a theatrical Ninjago movie is that it could create brand confusion with The Lego Movie, leading people expecting something more like The Lego Movie to watch this and be extremely disappointed. I dearly hope Warner Bros. does what they can to keep the brands distinct. Otherwise, I fear a lot of backlash surrounding the Ninjago movie that could consequently diminish the hype for The Lego Movie 2 in 2017.

While I doubt it will do anywhere near as well as the LEGO Movie has done and will do for the next few weeks, Ninjago has a ridiculously large following. I wonder how many calls LEGO got about Bionicle being discontinued. If we can get those numbers and compare, we have an easy way to estimate the severity of it's following.

That being said, Ninjago could be a big hit. It's TV series was a big hit, it has several years worth of pre-written story that it can mesh about to get the best parts of all of them (most of the series' episodes were just filler) and it's team is pretty impressive. To give you an idea of what the stuff I've come across about Ninjago is like, think MLP with it's audience being the opposite gender: young boys and adult fangirls. So let's set MLP's success x.02 as a modest estimate for now. Pretty impressive, huh?

Edited by DraikNova

I haven't been following this discussion too closely. Has a Ninjago movie been greenlit? If so, perhaps a topic of it's own would be more appropriate. If not, it still doesn't seem like the purpose of this thread to discuss the viability of a Ninjago movie. So maybe a new topic should be started for it in any case if people are interested in such a discussion.

And above all, we should not let our excitement carry us away enough to cause hard feelings towards one another even if we have opposite opinions.

I haven't been following this discussion too closely. Has a Ninjago movie been greenlit? If so, perhaps a topic of it's own would be more appropriate. If not, it still doesn't seem like the purpose of this thread to discuss the viability of a Ninjago movie. So maybe a new topic should be started for it in any case if people are interested in such a discussion.

And above all, we should not let our excitement carry us away enough to cause hard feelings towards one another even if we have opposite opinions.

New discussion open for movie.

Saw the movie a second time today, only in 3D. I was very impressed by the effects: I was sitting near the front, so I was startled when Emmet's face was really close to me! *oh2*:head_back:

This movie was absolutely beautiful. I ended up seeing it on Valentine's Day, and I hadn't been so excited to be in a theater in ages. It's hilarious! The cast is impeccable, and the animation style is unique and clearly a lot of time was spent making it look the best it could be. The end is very heartwarming, and handled in the best way possible. I will admit, I got a little misty. Long story short, this film is a work of art!

In regards to the recently announced sequel, I expect that they will handle it well. The movie ended on a good note, and I don't want it to be ruined. When they are making this one, I hope they include more themes and have a completely new story and characters, with maybe Emmet & company only making a small cameo.

Honestly, I'd rather see a Ninjago film first, with the same type of photorealistic animation as the original TLM. It's great to see LEGO expanding into other media more, and using the tools they have to attract more fans to the hobby. Don't disappoint me!

Edited by Puffle Pal26

So, I just saw TLM yesterday. While a great film, I must say it didn't live up to the gigantic hype (I guess that's the problem with hype). It's still a rather simple kids film after all. But the worlds were fantastically built, and there were some powerful scenes.

While LB was persuaded to cap the Kragle a bit too easily, I have to admit that when Emmet says LB is the special (insofar as there is only one... which isn't the case), that was both a powerful and unexpected scene for me. My other favorites were Emmet realizing he's so bland that his neighbors and colleagues hardly recognize him, and Metalbeard (of all people) realizing that Emmets by-the-book attitude is their greatest asset.

Otherwise I expected more screen time for Benny's Spaceship and LB's wild west metallic minions (as well as Velma Staplebot, Gail and Mrs Scratchenpost). And I finally understand what the double decker couch is doing on Metalbeard's ship, something I previously thought was rather random. Although I don't understand what triggered Emmet's ability to see bricks the way master builders did.

And one last little quibble, Vitruvius' prophecy mentioning someone with "a face of yellow" would seem to disqualify licensed figs from being the special - not that it's a big deal since the prophecy was made up, but it's still something that bugs me. I wonder whether it had any in-universe consequences on yellow-fleshie relations...

In my entirely subjective scoring system, I would give it 3 stars out of 4.

Edited by Ardelon

So, I just saw TLM yesterday. While a great film, I must say it didn't live up to the gigantic hype (I guess that's the problem with hype). It's still a rather simple kids film after all. But the worlds were fantastically built, and there were some powerful scenes.

While LB was persuaded to cap the Kragle a bit too easily, I have to admit that when Emmet says LB is the special (insofar as there is only one... which isn't the case), that was both a powerful and unexpected scene for me. My other favorites were Emmet realizing he's so bland that his neighbors and colleagues hardly recognize him, and Metalbeard (of all people) realizing that Emmets by-the-book attitude is their greatest asset.

Otherwise I expected more screen time for Benny's Spaceship and LB's wild west metallic minions (as well as Velma Staplebot, Gail and Mrs Scratchenpost). And I finally understand what the double decker couch is doing on Metalbeard's ship, something I previously thought was rather random. Although I don't understand what triggered Emmet's ability to see bricks the way master builders did.

And one last little quibble, Vitruvius' prophecy mentioning someone with "a face of yellow" would seem to disqualify licensed figs from being the special - not that it's a big deal since the prophecy was made up, but it's still something that bugs me. I wonder whether it had any in-universe consequences on yellow-fleshie relations...

In my entirely subjective scoring system, I would give it 3 stars out of 4.

I agree, I loved the scene where Emmet convinced Lord Business to put the cap on the Kragle. Both the human and LEGO sides of that story carried an important message of reconciliation that is rarely seen in cinema, and rarely carried out effectively when it does show up (often, it ends up seeming more like a convenient way for the hero to defeat evil without force or violence than a genuine change of heart for the evil villain).

It does seem like the LEGO world's resolution was a bit simple, but Lord Business had already hinted previously that part of the reason he was so obsessed with perfection and with silencing people who disagreed with him was that nobody had ever told him he was special or important.

Vitruvius explained what it took to be a Master Builder pretty eloquently earlier in the film. "All you have to do is believe. Then, you will see everything". So Emmet became a Master Builder and gained the incredible vision powers that came with it when it finally sank in that he could be the hero. In a sense, Emmet had been selling himself short previously because he had doubts in his abilities to build incredible things like the other Master Builders could. The only original thing he had built previously, the Double-Decker Couch, was derided as stupid and worthless, so he wasn't able to take pride in that creation. It's the sort of thing a lot of FOLs can probably relate to. But once Emmet finally believed in his ability to save the day, he was able to snap pieces together into something that was not only useful, but genuinely brilliant.

This captures a real truth about building. As long as there's a voice in the back of our minds telling us that we can't create something amazing of our own, we won't be able to push ourselves to try. It might seem like Emmet's creative epiphany was a bit too abrupt, in that he went from creating a trifle as as small and pitiful as a double-decker couch to creating a huge, brilliant, and elaborate Constructo-Mech. But you have to keep in mind that he had been building for a long time even before he went on this adventure. As a construction worker, there's no doubt he knew the ins and outs of building things. It wasn't a matter of him learning billions of advanced building techniques in an instant. Rather, it was a matter of finally having the creative drive to put together the concepts and techniques he had been practicing for years into an original creation. The construction motifs of Emmet's mech weren't simply a matter of the parts he had around, but also his way of applying the experiences from his years as a construction worker to something new and original.

As for Vitruvius's prophecy specifying a "face of yellow", that does seem a bit at odds with his assertion that anyone could become the special. But of course, the end of the prophecy makes it clear why he added that precondition — it wouldn't have rhymed otherwise. :tongue: I suppose if the Piece of Resistance had been discovered by a character like Batman or Shaquille O'Neal, Vitruvius would have come up with some excuse why that part of the prophecy was not meant to be taken literally.

I agree, I loved the scene where Emmet convinced Lord Business to put the cap on the Kragle. Both the human and LEGO sides of that story carried an important message of reconciliation that is rarely seen in cinema, and rarely carried out effectively when it does show up (often, it ends up seeming more like a convenient way for the hero to defeat evil without force or violence than a genuine change of heart for the evil villain).

It does seem like the LEGO world's resolution was a bit simple, but Lord Business had already hinted previously that part of the reason he was so obsessed with perfection and with silencing people who disagreed with him was that nobody had ever told him he was special or important.

Vitruvius explained what it took to be a Master Builder pretty eloquently earlier in the film. "All you have to do is believe. Then, you will see everything". So Emmet became a Master Builder and gained the incredible vision powers that came with it when it finally sank in that he could be the hero. In a sense, Emmet had been selling himself short previously because he had doubts in his abilities to build incredible things like the other Master Builders could. The only original thing he had built previously, the Double-Decker Couch, was derided as stupid and worthless, so he wasn't able to take pride in that creation. It's the sort of thing a lot of FOLs can probably relate to. But once Emmet finally believed in his ability to save the day, he was able to snap pieces together into something that was not only useful, but genuinely brilliant.

This captures a real truth about building. As long as there's a voice in the back of our minds telling us that we can't create something amazing of our own, we won't be able to push ourselves to try. It might seem like Emmet's creative epiphany was a bit too abrupt, in that he went from creating a trifle as as small and pitiful as a double-decker couch to creating a huge, brilliant, and elaborate Constructo-Mech. But you have to keep in mind that he had been building for a long time even before he went on this adventure. As a construction worker, there's no doubt he knew the ins and outs of building things. It wasn't a matter of him learning billions of advanced building techniques in an instant. Rather, it was a matter of finally having the creative drive to put together the concepts and techniques he had been practicing for years into an original creation. The construction motifs of Emmet's mech weren't simply a matter of the parts he had around, but also his way of applying the experiences from his years as a construction worker to something new and original.

As for Vitruvius's prophecy specifying a "face of yellow", that does seem a bit at odds with his assertion that anyone could become the special. But of course, the end of the prophecy makes it clear why he added that precondition — it wouldn't have rhymed otherwise. :tongue: I suppose if the Piece of Resistance had been discovered by a character like Batman or Shaquille O'Neal, Vitruvius would have come up with some excuse why that part of the prophecy was not meant to be taken literally.

Good points, all of them. I'll have to re-watch the movie with them in mind...

I finally saw the movie yesterday. At this very moment, I can still feel it's awesomeness

The settings, the vehicles, the story... everything clicks together in one very funny, entertaining and stunning movie. I also had a lot of fun looking for hidden things. Gosh there were many things to see (including Fabuland heads mounted on the wall in the saloon!) All in all, it was a very beautifyl and compelling movie. I immedeately wanted to build some wacky stuff, and wanted more sets about those gorgeous models occuring in the film (like that train).

I'm not sure if this belongs here, or the Lego Movie Videogame discussion, but whilst playing through the 7th level of the game, I noticed that Milhouse, whilst visible in the movie, is blurred out in the videogame? (Next to the Panda suit guy in the background) Does anyone know why? :wacko:

13134991624_cfc72bed1d_c.jpg

I'm not sure if this belongs here, or the Lego Movie Videogame discussion, but whilst playing through the 7th level of the game, I noticed that Milhouse, whilst visible in the movie, is blurred out in the videogame? (Next to the Panda suit guy in the background) Does anyone know why? :wacko:

It probably had to do with Fox owning the character.