The implication is that the minfigures are sentient to an extent, but the events of their lives, including personality and actions, are determined by the children playing with them. Emmet was definitely aware of his surroundings and could move and think even when the kid had forgotten about him, so that means that while the child's imagination is what gave him life in the first place even without it he can continue on existing, though in a greatly diminished capacity.

I really liked the ending. It gave the movie a lot of heart and kind of enforced an interesting moral. I can see why people don't like certain aspects of it though. I mean they sort of went a bit deep and sort of halted the movie to do it. However I think it's a rarely used plot thread and sort of fitting for the Lego universe. Most animated movies are self contained in their own little universe and you don't really question it, but since Lego is a hands on product I think adding in how their world fits into ours was an interesting direction to go. In a way it would almost be too easy to just let it be it's own little self contained world. And the trailers had hinted it, so I wasn't exactly surprised.

Well that or Finn is one of those creepy Twilight zone type kids who brings things to life with his mind. By next Tuesday all the minifigs will have swarmed the house and will be roasting his parents over an open fire and will start terrorizing the town ala Gremlins. Hey! sequel Potential

Oh and best line of the movie

... then I found out the hairy ones actually a Dude! So's the Robot!...

Weirdest thing about the Movie. Half the crowd in my Theater walked out literally singing "Everything is Awesome" all the way out into the parking lot. It was wild to see. The Movie definitely connected with them. Not just the kids.

Edited by Faefrost

Well, now I feel like Finn's dad. I gave my daughter my blessing to disassemble any Lego set in our basement and rearrange it as she sees fit.

...except for my Monster Fighters Haunted House. That stays at it is.

Edited by ResIpsaLoquitur

It was purposefully left vague.

The ending that is. It could easily all be the kid's imagination. However the way Emmit kind of is apparently able to move on his own suggests it's at least possible that they're all sentient things kind of like Toy Story but they live mainly in the world of IMAGINATION!

spongebob-imagination.jpg

I can understand why the moral of the story could get to people. But I didn't mind the moral and in my own way kind of agree with it (not in the everyone is a special butterfly way but that everyone is a unique being, even if they're not very unique).

But regarding a possible sequel, I had an idea that could work even with the notorious twist in the third act...

What if a sequel (not necessarily the first one) featured Finn's dark ages? He loses interest in Lego, and consequently Emmet stops having ideas and goes back to his old way of life, possibly in the midst of a crisis where his imagination is needed. It'd be up to his friends to snap Emmet/Finn out of it (with the help of President Business/The Man Upstairs) so Emmet can save the day.

Possibly the most appropriate and LEGO-y sequel idea ever. It might seem a little too similar to Toy Story 3 to some, though.

In general, as regards morals, I tend to feel a strong dislike towards anyone, movies certainly included, that tries to force morals down my throat. And, as I have gotten into my thirties, I have gotten way too cynical to be affected emotionally by such a ham-fisted and easily predicted "twist" in the story. I think that's a big part of why I reacted so badly to this movie.

But also...

I actually disagree strongly with the moral of this movie. There is absolutely nothing wrong with only building straight out of the box and using the models for static display instead of playing. And if I had build an impressive city like that, you can be sure that I would be very angry indeed, had someone decided to rip the top of one of the buildings.

I thought the movie was great, whilst I like to follow the instructions and only keep the models for display, the twist was great, and the idea of walls between worlds…..great film

Good Job Lego, and for it all to be filmed as stop motion, genius,

In general, as regards morals, I tend to feel a strong dislike towards anyone, movies certainly included, that tries to force morals down my throat. And, as I have gotten into my thirties, I have gotten way too cynical to be affected emotionally by such a ham-fisted and easily predicted "twist" in the story. I think that's a big part of why I reacted so badly to this movie.

But also...

I actually disagree strongly with the moral of this movie. There is absolutely nothing wrong with only building straight out of the box and using the models for static display instead of playing. And if I had build an impressive city like that, you can be sure that I would be very angry indeed, had someone decided to rip the top of one of the buildings.

They never said that it is wrong to build straight out of the box, Emmet even said that sometimes you have to follow the instructions. They were only able to get in the Octan tower because he suggested that they follow the instructions. I'm not sure about the display thing, but they only mentioned that things don't always have to be the same and that it could always be improved.

Also, anyone know why only the much bigger Micro-Managers that are nowhere to be seen in the sets appear in the movie, but the ones from the sets don't? (Except the human parts)

Edited by TheRedGuy

As I understood it, that wasn't the lesson of the movie at all.

The Man Upstairs wasn't wrong for building his models according to the instructions, nor was Finn wrong for creating things from his imagination. There were several examples where doing things one way or the other was presented as a bad idea. The Master Builders' submarine was a disjointed mess because they all tried to put their own creative spin on it, and as a result it lacked a structured design. And President Business's plan to glue the world together would have left no room for creativity whatsoever. Finn did undo a lot of his father's hard work and thought of his father as "the bad guy" in his stories, but likewise his father didn't have any appreciation for Finn's creativity because in his rigid mentality, none of the things Finn was building made any sense.

The movie was more about how playing and living together requires acceptance and compromise, and how there's no one right way to live or play. President Business wasn't evil because he liked following the instructions, but because he tried to force everyone else to build and live their lives by HIS rules. Buildings that weren't built according to the instructions would get demolished, people who disagreed with him were replaced with robot "yes men", and walls were erected between the LEGO worlds to keep people in their proper place. He was even prepared to use glue to keep things in place permanently.

In any event, it's hard to sympathize with a LEGO fan who is prepared to glue all of his creations when he has a son who would probably love to inherit them one day. But at the same time, The Man Upstairs is presented as an inherently sympathetic character. He is interested in protecting his "stuff", but he goes too far by gluing his models and declaring pretty much all the LEGO in the house off-limits save for a small bucket reserved for his son. He doesn't understand the things his son imagines, but in the end it's clear that he wants to.

Within the LEGO world, the lesson about living and building together is about learning to be a free society. Within the real world, the same lesson takes on a much more intimate meaning: it's about learning to be a family.

I saw the movie today, and I absolutely loved it! :grin: Benny and Unikitty were brilliant :wub: . I'm definitely going to buy it when it is released on DVD later this year.

I thought the movie was great, whilst I like to follow the instructions and only keep the models for display, the twist was great, and the idea of walls between worlds…..great film

Good Job Lego, and for it all to be filmed as stop motion, genius,

It wasn't filmed completely stop motion warner bros said it was mostly 3D animation.

Was anyone else horrified when the Man upstairs used the acetone on the Lego? I realize his intent was to put things back the way they were, but my reaction was "that's going to melt them and wipe the paint off everything!"

Also, did the Micro Manager from this month's Lego Store mini build appear anywhere? I realize that there were a zillion things going on, but I spotted a lot of stuff in the movie--he got by me if he showed up at all.

Was anyone else horrified when the Man upstairs used the acetone on the Lego? I realize his intent was to put things back the way they were, but my reaction was "that's going to melt them and wipe the paint off everything!"

Also, did the Micro Manager from this month's Lego Store mini build appear anywhere? I realize that there were a zillion things going on, but I spotted a lot of stuff in the movie--he got by me if he showed up at all.

I'm 99% sure it did not appear, there were only 3 types of Micro Managers in the animated part of the movie, and I doubt a promotional item would be shown in the live-action part. By the way, you might wanna use spoiler tags.

It was extremely hard to tell the Micro Managers apart. In the first scene with one, it seemed to be different from any of the ones in sets (most similar to the one from Rescue Reinforcements, but bigger). Most other scenes had more than one, so without being able to pause or rewind it was hard to discern which ones matched which sets (if any).

Edited by Lyichir

saw the movie today. It was AWESOME X 10^100

I have found out something new about Batman. Batman likes heavy metal.

Edited by Savage Oppress

I'm 99% sure it did not appear, there were only 3 types of Micro Managers in the animated part of the movie, and I doubt a promotional item would be shown in the live-action part. By the way, you might wanna use spoiler tags.

I can't figure out how to use spoiler tags. I figured a white text against the white background would be good enough.

I believe it has, but take in note- while he did write The Internship and Mr. Popper's Penguins- he did write Wreck-It Ralph.

But still, I'd rather have Lord and Miller than Stern.

But still, I'd rather have Lord and Miller than Stern.

Same here. Let's hope they'll cowrite it, like they did with this one.

I wish the lego sets had some more accurate options. But I guess they couldn't go non-lego for some of that stuff.

Does anyone know if the Green Lantern in the movie was based on the old comiccon exclusive? Or if it was new?

Edited by BrickG

Does anyone know when the DVD might come out? Unfortunately, we won't be able to get access to the film in English, and my son is very limited in his French vocabulary. A lot of people seem to be predicting May, but that seems very early.