Movie gets 9/10 from me.

Too quick but not random. Very well thought scenario.

I will have to get it and watch it like 10 times in slowmo before I catch all that cool stuff!

Also It was the best Lego commercial EVER

Ashley balled her eyes out, and I do not know why :roflmao:. By the way Ashley is my girlfriend.

Edited by coolcab1

My friend told me that the second movie will include

minidolls due to something happening towards the end.

hmm

-Sci

That movie was AMAZING. Holy crap. Best film I've seen in a while. It was constantly hilarious, and the ending was touching. It's probably an A+.

hmm

-Sci

Kinda. But, I really do not want a sequel. The movie ended perfectly, and with everything that happened, I don't think it could work. Let's hope Chris and Phil pull it off well, if they're directing it (please).

hmm

-Sci

Not really a certainty...

The end of the movie features the arrival of Duplo, not Friends, although I suppose many young girls would graduate to Minidolls eventually...

But regarding a possible sequel, I had an idea that could work even with the notorious twist in the third act...

What if a sequel (not necessarily the first one) featured Finn's dark ages? He loses interest in Lego, and consequently Emmet stops having ideas and goes back to his old way of life, possibly in the midst of a crisis where his imagination is needed. It'd be up to his friends to snap Emmet/Finn out of it (with the help of President Business/The Man Upstairs) so Emmet can save the day.

I don't see why the movie's ending rules out the possibility of a sequel as good as the first one (or as relevant to Lego and its fans).

What if a sequel (not necessarily the first one) featured Finn's dark ages? He loses interest in Lego, and consequently Emmet stops having ideas and goes back to his old way of life, possibly in the midst of a crisis where his imagination is needed. It'd be up to his friends to snap Emmet/Finn out of it (with the help of President Business/The Man Upstairs) so Emmet can save the day.

I don't see why the movie's ending rules out the possibility of a sequel as good as the first one (or as relevant to Lego and its fans).

I didn't say it completely rules out the possibility of it being good as the first (see Toy Story 2 and 3). I'm sure if Phil and Chris are on it again, it will be great. That's a good storyline for the sequel though, Lyichir.

Just got home from it...amazing. Quite possibly the most perfect movie ever to grace a theatre(unbiased opinion, of course). I loved every second. The floating part numbers were fantastic and the twist in the story was hilarious. I was especially happy to hear Bricksburg was the name of Emmetts town, as that's mine. I couldn't stop smiling during the entire movie. I kept panning the entire screen thinking to myself, "OH! Cool build". And one more thing....SPACESHIP! :laugh:

Huge spoiler talk time!

10/10 movie for me. Absolutely loved it. SO many gags. When Wyldstyle talks about the "universes we don't talk about" one is Speed Racer. :rofl: The end was totally unexpected. "It's a toy." "It's not a toy." "We bought it at the toy store." "But when Daddy plays with them they aren't." "It says 8-12." " they have to put that on there, it's just a suggestion." :tongue: oh so true...

Double decker couch was awesome. Favorite character was Uni-Kitty. "Business business numbers. am I doing it right?" "Yes" "YAY!" Loved Angry Kitty too.

Only bad thing was too many butt jokes. Except the Gandalf one.

"We come fwom the pwanet Duplo we will destroy you."

I loved it. Most fun I've had at the movies in ages. But the best part was hearing all the excited kids in the audience. :)

Everything is awesome indeed!!!

It was amazing! I loved every second, gosh it had so many shot outs and cameos, and it was very heartfelth in the end.

And Vitruvius's ghost dangling from a string was hilarious

Heck, we got an applause and ovation after it ended on my teather.

I absolutely loved the film, just saw it tonight with three of my fraternity brothers, 2 of whom didn't want to see it but came out loving it. They felt awkward amongst a bunch of kids but liked it.

The film was really enjoyable for me. I hate animated movies and kid films for some reason, and maybe I liked this because I'm biased towards LEGO but still. I loved all of the little in jokes they had, loved the mentioning of different themes, etc. Some of the dialogue was cheesy but it's a kid film, what do you expect. The acting was very well done and overall the script felt right. It went by so fast but it just had so much crammed in there. "Everything is Awesome" made me want to kill myself, but I hate music in the vein as well. I loved how as it went on, you realized how much it was imagination, a la Vitruvius coming in on a string, the other "artifacts", etc. The live action was somewhat predictable to me, but hey, I wanted that in there as well. As well, the CGI was phenomenal. I think it looked like 95% of the motions the minifigures made could only be possible in the real world.

As an AFOL, it really made me think about what it was like to be a kid and play with LEGO. It was silly, nonsensical fun with a message in the beginning, but once you hit the live action, wow. That was really powerful. It was nice to see Will Ferrell do something a little serious, and the design of the city was great. It really was an extended, great commercial. Sometimes I noticed I was the only one laughing at some parts because I recognized some of the jokes the directors threw in for people like us, AFOLs.

As for a sequal, does the film need one? Not necessarily. Would I like one? Yes, if it was done well.

9/10 I guess.

I'm usually better at nitpicking but I can only really think of one thing to nitpick about this movie.

The ending got a little too cheesy for me. I saw the "real life" coming the second Emmit saw those flashes in the beginning and it was solidified when the bandaid and stuff came into play. I just the the "real life" portions were about 200% too cheesy for me and I just kind of rolled my eyes. But still the movie was very good.

I think the first half was better than the second due to this cheesiness and the jokes kind of slowed down.

The ending makes me want to see the sister war. :P

Edited by BrickG

My immediate reaction: inadequacy.

Nono, not the movie itself, me. :tongue: I took one look at the scale of Bricksburg and the rest of the world, and in connection with the infamous third-act surprise it's instilled this strong urge in me of "don't even bother. You're not going to get even NEAR that." :tongue::cry_sad:

Saw it yesterday.

To be honest, I'm not overly happy with it. It was quite good, I thought, until the end. But then...

Oh my, that end...

It was just so overly moralistic that it tainted the whole movie for me.

Am I the only one who liked the human scenes? It was a bit weird in the first few minutes, but it was ultimately enjoyable and made the movie much better for me.

Speaking of that, is the Lego universe as seen in the majority of the film solely the child's immagination or the minifigure's immagination, or something else? The minifigs are definitely sentient, so that confuses me a bit.

Am I the only one who liked the human scenes? It was a bit weird in the first few minutes, but it was ultimately enjoyable and made the movie much better for me.

Speaking of that, is the Lego universe as seen in the majority of the film solely the child's immagination or the minifigure's immagination, or something else? The minifigs are definitely sentient, so that confuses me a bit.

Nah, I loved them too. Like you said, it was ehhh at first but then it started getting touching and emotional. :grin:

hmm

Yes, the nightmare I predicted earlier have come true.

I think it's contradictory. The movie itself pointed out that we shouldn't be restricted by rules, however, the missing Friends just make AFOLs feel like that the plot writer has nothing different from what President Business did in the whole story---- they've built the wall and tell audience that Friends shouldn't be with other themes.

And in a commercial view, it's not a wise move because this could make the audience girls who are big Friends fans very uncomfortable. The story uses a view of a father and a son without any girls-oriented toys enter this movie, which couldn't tell the whole story of the Lego bricks if Finn doesn't play Friends at all.

Well, just right before the ending reveals new characters, I thought that Friends protagonists would make an interesting ending because a sister comes, who can tell her brother "Hey, don't forget my Friends!", but as result she represents the juniors. It could also be nice if the mosters were "Mixels".

But regarding a possible sequel, I had an idea that could work even with the notorious twist in the third act...

I don't think that's quite difficult if we just want need a different theme and story, because there are still themes that this movie didnt go for, such as Space or Kingdom. But I agree that TLM have to come up with another spirital concept and a substory with the "real world".

We don't need to have Finn back, actually. Maybe the sequel won't have real world connection, or the plot writer would introduce another family who played Lego in a different way before Finn pays a visit and brings team Emmet to them.

My personal viewpoint toward this movie is, it's an outstanding introduction for kids and adults who played Lego before and they're not current AFOLs. But for me, the ending is kinda weak because their isn't another shocking twist to make the ending different, even though Emmet's confrontation is touching. Maybe it's still restricted by the "real-world play" and we can't see something like the universe being changed.

Another debateble point is the "death" of Vitruvius. MetalBeard lost his body (oh, did he get his body back? :look: ) but his still alive. Dissembeld figure isn't the way how minifigures die. Oh, we shall not forget that it's the "real world Finn" who ordered so. :devil:

There are too many characters in the first half of the story, and it's not easy for us to see how each member of Emmet's team was introduced clearly. Maybe a sequel helps, but only when Emmet isnt the leading role.

In a commercial view, I'm not sure it's a "success" (maybe it should be discuss in the set thread):

1) The convertible vehicles didn't show their transformation in this movie. We don't know how the civilains protect themselves from the managers, and I don't think kids would even notice those fighting cars and ask their parents to buy the sets.

2) The minor characters from CMFs didn't have important roles, uh, as predicted. We're able to find their existence in this movie, however, I think their personality can have more effects on this movie. What their roles are in the actual story is:

I kinda feels sad when Emmet knows that he is "forgotten" by the aquintances he loved. But in the following scene when Wyldstyle told everyone that how much Emmet did for them, I didn't quite feel that these characters felt especially sorry for their attitude. Same for some master builders who were offensed by Emmet.

3) After seeing the whole magnificent view of Cloud Cuckoo Palace in the movie, take a look at the set, uh..... I really wished that TLG can do their real best.

Oh, and one last sentence.

Bruce, repeat your last word to Selina and Talia and just don't harm more ladies!

Edited by Dorayaki

The way I see it, it's solely the child's imagination. You even hear someone go "brrbrrbrrbrr" when both the pirate ship and the top of the office building moves. And the "spaceship, spaceship, SPACESHIP" line is echoed by the child towards the end.

It is a bit odd though, that Emmet seems to be able to move on his own at one point.

Nah, I loved them too. Like you said, it was ehhh at first but then it started getting touching and emotional. :grin:

Me too. It was heavy on the morals, but it was a good moral, and one especially applicable to AFOLs (who can often forget the merits of a kid's boundless imagination). And it's a rare film that can convincingly have the hero talk down and reform the "villain". Both live-action actors did a fantastic job (Will Ferrell did amazingly as a joyless hobbyist struggling with relating to his son, and the kid was just as innocent and adorable as he needed to be.

Edited by Lyichir

No, you weren't.

I also liked the human scenes. You gotta figure that when Emmet fell down the abyss it was a way to break the fourth wall in the movie. The whole scene fit right into the movie. Personally I loved ever minute of the movie. There was so much action and things to look at I will have to own it just slow it down frame by frame. The ending was hilarious with his sister's Duplo coming in. 'We will destroy you!' I am not bothered if it wasn't friends as I don't think that would have worked as well. I would love a sequel. The only problem with sequels is the do it better than last time formula. So if they made one with the mindset of not surpassing it but more of quality, it should be just as hilarious. Anyone else think that Batman was getting off on choking the Robot Swat guy? I'm wondering if that was one of those things the directors got away with in the film? They mentioned something in the background movie on youtube the other day.

Can't wait to own it! I really loved the characters and the message about not being too conformist.

The way I see it, it's solely the child's imagination. You even hear someone go "brrbrrbrrbrr" when both the pirate ship and the top of the office building moves. And the "spaceship, spaceship, SPACESHIP" line is echoed by the child towards the end.

It is a bit odd though, that Emmet seems to be able to move on his own at one point.

The implication is that the minfigures are sentient to an extent, but the events of their lives, including personality and actions, are determined by the children playing with them. Emmet was definitely aware of his surroundings and could move and think even when the kid had forgotten about him, so that means that while the child's imagination is what gave him life in the first place even without it he can continue on existing, though in a greatly diminished capacity.

I really liked the ending. It gave the movie a lot of heart and kind of enforced an interesting moral. I can see why people don't like certain aspects of it though. I mean they sort of went a bit deep and sort of halted the movie to do it. However I think it's a rarely used plot thread and sort of fitting for the Lego universe. Most animated movies are self contained in their own little universe and you don't really question it, but since Lego is a hands on product I think adding in how their world fits into ours was an interesting direction to go. In a way it would almost be too easy to just let it be it's own little self contained world. And the trailers had hinted it, so I wasn't exactly surprised.