Is the "evil robot sheriff" possibly "Lord Business"?

I suspect the robot sheriff, even if he's not just a lower-tier henchman, is still more Darth Vader than the Emperor. Doesn't look like the man who'd be behind the curtain.

or even better, this would be a great opportunity to have a bionicle and a hero factory character meet without breaking cannon for either one

Heh, it´d be funny if there was an aside referencing the controversy of system vs Bionicle/HF.

Are we sure this is all CG and not stop-motion? I recall an early interview with the film makers stating they'd use a mixture of live action and CGI.

I first found out about this movie on Wikipedia shortly before the trailer release. I like the look of it by the trailer. The trailer was funny, and had just the right amount and type of information; some jokes, a visual peek at the animation, a small idea of the content (old characters, licensed characters, new characters), and not much is spoiled. The main villain is fortunately not shown, surprisingly voiced by Will Ferrel, who is more of an adult comedy guy. I can't know exactly at this time, but it will probably be a good and commercially successful movie.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that this is the 7th feature film licensed from TLegoG after the 4 Bionicle movies, Atlantis, and Clutch Powers. I assume that this will be a theatrical release, unlike the previous films which were low-budget direct-to-DVD. I have not seen the last movie Clutch Powers, but I saw a clip or two on YouTube and read a review. The Lego Movie appears to be a bit like an upgraded version of Clutch Powers. I think that Clutch Powers had a younger target, and was painfully high in product placements. This Movie surprisingly has a lot of licenses, but I was happy to see the "Nineteen-eighty-something Space Guy" and NBA players. I really want it to be more of a historical overview of Lego than advertisement for their current products, so I hope that there is more in the final movie. I also hope that there would be a small range of sets based on this movie (which Clutch Powers surprisingly didn't get), and a small set similar to 850449 bundled with a special edition DVD and Blu-ray. I was hoping for a composite animation of stop-motion (close-ups), computer-generated 3D (backgrounds), and 2D (prints, especially faces). Wikipedia says that it is CGI, but there might be a bit of stop-motion. It would be hard to do stop motion with all the jumping and flying action though.

wow! i hope bionicle or HF would make an appearance.

I was also hoping that Bionicle makes an appearance and reference in the movie, especially from the Mata-Nui era. I don't like Hero Factory, so I don't care if it makes a minor appearance, but don't want a big appearance. I would want a fairly significant role of a few Bionicle characters for a short part of the film, along with a few background appearances (a few set characters, matoran and rahi, pieces, maybe even a new model of a non-set character). I would also like a small reference to at least one object of power from Bionicle. Here is a specific idea of how it could appear;

Emmet and the team could run into characters like Turaga Vakama, Toa Mata Tahu, Gali Nuva, and (matoran) Nuparu. Then a swarm of bad guys could come, including Bohrok, Rahkshi, and HF characters. The Toa, Nuparu (in Boxor), and Batman would try to fight them off. A rahkshi of heat vision could attack Tahu to melt him into his Stars form. "Oh No! I look hideous!"

Edited by LiamM32

Clutch Powers didn't get sets because they just used sets already out. Like Clutch's car was the Agents car.

Yes, and I think this is part of the reason people thought it had a bit too much product placement. In reality, I think that the reason for this was the film's low budget rather than product placement. After all, by the time the film came out in 2010, many of the sets featured in the film (Fantasy-era Castle sets, the Agents Turbocar, etc.) were already discontinued, so there was no real monetary advantage to featuring them. Perhaps it would get kids slightly more excited about the film to see sets they already owned in an animated movie, but the goal certainly wasn't advertising those specific products. The real advantage of featuring these sets was it saved them the trouble of designing as many new models for the film.

This new movie doesn't seem to have that same problem, considering that pretty much everything is made of LEGO, including scenery. This would be impossible if the creators were limiting themselves to official sets, with just a handful of unique models hastily created for the movie.

Have you seen Chris Pratt in Parks and Rec? "Dumb, clueless guy" is a pretty apt description of his character Andy (at least on the surface), but his performance really makes Andy an amazing, nuanced character. Casting should work out fine!

We'll see. From what i'm seeing from him in the trailer i'm not impressed. But again, its just a trailer so time will tell how well it turns out.

I guess i'm just ruined by past Lego movies and shows. To me they were all sub par so i have the same expectations for this. As of now the only possible saving grace is the voice actors.

I'm interested in the movie, because I'm at least interested to see how Lego wants to show off for a wider, more general audience. The cast list is impressive. The thing I'm most interested in, though, is whether the tie-in sets will have their own theme (probably?) and how both classic and licensed elements might or might not be mixed together in the same set. In my mind the effect looks something like Time Cruisers, and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Is the "evil robot sheriff" possibly "Lord Business"?

I somewhat suspect that the evil robot sheriff will be voiced by Nick Offerman. He always manages to play characters that have mustache's. :laugh:

According to the director, it is "CG w/ real Lego elements done in a photoreal stop-motion style. & a secret bit of live-action." My guess is that TLGgave them the official 3D models for every LEGO part and that's what they mean by "CG w/ real Lego elements."

I'm a bit disappointed they didn't use the Official LEGO Movie Maker to make the Official LEGO Movie. Or did they? :grin:

I somewhat suspect that the evil robot sheriff will be voiced by Nick Offerman. He always manages to play characters that have mustache's. :laugh:

I remember reading that Nick Offerman will be playing a pirate captain.

Well we know The Lego Movie team is going to have a presence of some sort at SDCC. Read this tweet from director Chris Miller:

chris_miller_tweet_7-6-13.png

(From here).

I'd say 'perhaps this is what the countdown is for?' but the date on that is for the 18th, not the 20th. Guess we'll just have to wait and see eh?

On another note, can anyone identify what shot in the trailer this still is from?

tlm_car.png

It appears as the 'thumbnail' for the trailer on Lego's page, but I can't seem to match it up with anything in the trailer itself. The closest shot is of Lucy's (the girl with the striped hair) motorcycle, but there's no car in that segment.

I want this figure so badly!

{pic}

-Sci

Since it's in the product page, I'm sure we'll get some sets based on the movie including him. Who knows, some may be at Comic Con! :wink:

Since it's in the product page, I'm sure we'll get some sets based on the movie including him. Who knows, some may be at Comic Con! :wink:

I noticed that on the product page for it that it has a countdown for the movie release and then it switches over to a countdown until Comic Con so I think there is a pretty good chance we will see at least something related to this movie! It might not be sets (but I do suspect we will get those at some point) but I do think we might see some more footage or something :thumbup: