Kristel

[Guide] Creating Building Instructions using LPub

I have a problem with creating a manual in MLCad. If I install a motor with the PF connector, which is becoming the appear as two items in the PCI and BOM.

afol1969 it has in its parts list as a whole part. The function as I ignore the parts I already know. My question now is, can I get the total component somewhere, or do I have to create it yourself? How and where do I save it so that the program can also be used.

Thanks for the support

Martin

There should be a complete assembly's of the power function motors ether in the 'electric' category or in the 'other parts' category.

On the first page there is a small bit which I co-wrote,that tells you how to sub parts for other parts (in this case you would want to sub the two motor parts with the complete assembly).

Hi, thanks Kristel for this clear and extensive Lpub guide. For Bricksmith users I can add that it's easy to have your step rotations entered there.

I wondered if, when having altered a model in LCad (or other building software), can you update this in an already created Lpub guide ans iterate from there, or do you have to generate the instructions from the ground up?

And is there a way to sort the BoM by color (and size)? And is the order of parts in LCad (or Bricksmith and the likes) of influence in Lpub?

I've also seen code somewhere to create transparent backgrounds, I wonder if these come through in PNG exports. I'll try.

I'll be doing most of the layout in Photoshop, Lpub's layout options (and drag-and-drop quirkiness) drives me crazy.

Edited by Roloff

You can manually update the rotation in each step by copying and pasting the rotation vector, then updating the page.

You can sort by size,color,number.....etc by using some Lpub commands,I cant say I have ever sorted my instructions though so I can't really help you though.

Hi all,

I have a question about PF components in LPub. The following illustration is what I want to get:

• The list of parts per step should show the PF component as we know them in real. The green box shows what I want to see in the LPub "list of parts".
  • The assembly should show the PF component and the connector in it's correct position within the model (I have not included the LSynth-cable)
  • Same with the PF lights, they are added in #2, but attaching the lights is done in step #23 and the lights should not be visible in the instruction up to #23..

How can I

(1) display a part/*.ldr (I got *.ldr's for my PF components) only in the "list of parts" but not in the "assembly"?

and

(2) showing elements only in the assembly and not in the "list of parts"? (OK this part is easy, I know the ignore function for elements in the list of parts).

Ghosting in MLCad didn't ended up in a good result.

Any ideas someone?

Thanks in advance

Holger

lpub_question.png

I believe you can use the following command:

LPUB PLI BEGIN SUB xxxxx.dat y
LPUB PLI END

Where xxxxx.dat is the part which must be shown in the parts list (PLI) and y is the color of that part.

And the dots are the parts that should be substituted.

So, for example, you add the different parts that belong to the lights at the dots, and then you add the part number of the complete lights (with the folder wire) at the xxxxx.dat.

I believe it was something like that, I'm not completely sure though.

If you make a new part that has the cable the way you want roughly in MLCAD you can then turn it into a part,which you can sub for the parts that you don't want.

Here is a tutorial.

Thanks for your help! I think a figured out a solution I am satisfied with. Here is, what got:

PF receiver with folded cable and connector as *.dat http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/matthes/Virtual-Stuff/0001.dat

PF lights with folded cables, connector, middle box, lights as *.ldr http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/matthes/Virtual-Stuff/0002.ldr

Complete little *.ldr with some steps where the complete PF component is inserted first and in a later step the lights are inserted in the 1x1 Technic bricks http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/matthes/Virtual-Stuff/pf_test.ldr

I have used both the Ignore and the Substitue LPub commands. The 0001.dat and 0002.ldr are saved with the C:\Users\Public\Documents\LDraw\Unofficial\Parts folder. I am not sure, if this "state of the art" to do so?

0 +++ These parts are NOT shown in the parts list +++
0 !LPUB PLI BEGIN IGN
1 72 -80 -41 20 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 58124c01.dat
1 0 -20 -25 -20 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 62501c01.dat
0 !LPUB PLI END
0 +++ In the parts list 0002.ldr is shown instead of the 58124c01.dat and 62501c01.dat +++
0 !LPUB PLI BEGIN SUB 0002.ldr
0 !LPUB PART BEGIN IGN
1 72 -80 -41 20 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 58124c01.dat
1 0 -20 -25 -20 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 62501c01.dat
0 !LPUB PART END
0 !LPUB PLI END

This is what it looks like now:

pf_test_page_1.png

pf_test_page_2.png

pf_test_page_3.png

pf_test_page_4.png

The 0001.dat and 0002.ldr are saved with the C:\Users\Public\Documents\LDraw\Unofficial\Parts folder. I am not sure, if this "state of the art" to do so?

I generally keep specialized parts in the folder containing the model, but since I guess you are going to reuse these ones, your solution is probably the best!

Otherwise, you would get better rendering (especially of transparent parts) using LDView as renderer. Granted, it's a bit slower but on a modern machine that shouldn't make much difference. Unfortunately it's quite possible that changing renderer will break your pagination if it is tight.

Hi all,

I want to exclude a part (sticker in this case) only from the BOM, not from the Part List at the current step. Therefore I have added:

0 !LPUB BOM BEGIN IGN
1 71 -99 -61.6 3 0 -1 0 0 0 -1 1 0 0 s_80013-20.dat
0 !LPUB BOM END

At the end of my test.ldr The BOM is applied:

0 STEP
0 !LPUB INSERT PAGE
0 !LPUB INSERT BOM

I can redraw my instructions on and on, the s_80012-20.dat (sticker) is still visible in the BOM.

I use LPub 4.0.0.11

Are there any known bugs concerning the "LPUB BOM BEGIN IGN" command?

Thanks,

Holger

Are there any known bugs concerning the "LPUB BOM BEGIN IGN" command?

Traying and browsing around, I came acress J.C. Tang's documentations and therre he mentioned "En réalité aucune action avec la version testée" which Google tells me translates to "No effect in the tested version". The doc was updated with LPUB 4.0.0.11 in nov. 2014.

So, It looks like it is an error :-(

Hi,

i have a file 42008.ldr, arachnid made it, (link)

I tride to make a building instruction, but i coudn't make it. I tride many times, but i had always only one page.

Can anybody help me?

It's probably because the LDraw file is just the model and not made for instructions. LPub doesn't really create the instructions, it only generates the pages, the user must create all the steps, submodels, arrows etc. in a editor such as MLCad or LDCad. Only when the model contains steps LPub can generate the instructions.

So, unless you want to spend hours and hours creating instructions for such a model (like I do), you just have to try to reproduce the model from the digital file (for example, by looking at it in LDview).

I'm trying to change the separation between multiple steps on a single page, but can't seem to get it done. The moment I put more than one step on a page they try to stay as close to the centre as possible and I want to spread them out.

I would also like to figure out how to use both columns AND rows (e.g. 2 columns and 3 rows)

I'm trying to change the separation between multiple steps on a single page, but can't seem to get it done. The moment I put more than one step on a page they try to stay as close to the centre as possible and I want to spread them out.

I would also like to figure out how to use both columns AND rows (e.g. 2 columns and 3 rows)

On the first, try increasing the margins in the step group setup under the Configurations menu (the main ones at the top of the dialog box and the ones for the divider). There are also margins for the assembly in the assembly setup, which is also found under the Configurations menu.

On the second, I don't think you can do a combo like that. If it is divider lines that you are really after, like a grid, you could try importing a line as a picture and manually placing it where a divider would be.

There's a nice semi-hidden command in LPUB that allows you to play around with the step spacing. Keep the margins as they are, use this:

0 !LPUB RESERVE 0.1

The "0.1" means that there is a space of 10% of the page's height inserted. As far as I am using it, it is working only well with a vertical distribution of steps.

Play around with the numbers!

Mixing a column and row layout is not possible

Hi Guys!

I'm having a bit of trouble with callouts wanting to fly away!!!

The best I could find on a solution was this, but I have no idea how to apply a patch to LPUB.

If anyone could help with this I would be very grateful.

If anyone knows any code that stops each callout referencing the last one or next one that can be added I would love to know it!

Cheers

Moderator Edit: To those who read this question and want to reply, use duplicate topic here instead

Edited by Superkalle
Cross-posting

I am making instructions of a model with ~1600 pieces in LPub. However it takes seconds minutes for each page to draw, every Add next steps, Add divider, etc. Is there a way to speed LPub up (different renderer, split the instructions up, other?)?

Edited by Jeroen Ottens

I am making instructions of a model with ~1600 pieces in LPub. However it takes seconds minutes for each page to draw, every Add next steps, Add divider, etc. Is there a way to speed LPub up (different renderer, split the instructions up, other?)?

Has the whole thing being rendered once already? If not, try first an export to png, this way all the CSIs (Step Assemblies), Parts etc. are rendered and the subsequent work is much smoother. That is my experience. I set all the scaling (BOM/Parts/PLI/CSI), look that there are more or less sensible steps and let it run first just generating the output as PNG.

Later I go there and sort steps, which is then usually shorter as it is using pre-rendered images. If a new assembly is required as parts were moved between steps, then I just use the redraw button.

The last model I worked on had more parts and it was reasonable quick.

I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I'm using bricksmith and lpub and everything is working good. The only problem I have is that when the model is rotated there is no icon displayed in the instructions. It was my understanding from what i've read that this should be automatic in lpub, is it?

I am not sure about the new version of Lpub (Lpub3D),but in the old version any arrows needed to be added manually.

It is easier in LPub3D but not automatic. Right-click on the assembly then "Add Rotate Icon". To move the icon drag it (using its border), or right click then move icon (in multistep pages)

It is easier in LPub3D but not automatic. Right-click on the assembly then "Add Rotate Icon". To move the icon drag it (using its border), or right click then move icon (in multistep pages)

I'm using lpub 4 on the mac. Do you know if lpub3d is available for the mac?