Sign in to follow this  
Tariq j

Random minifigures put in random sets

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

Hi all, has anyone noticed how random minifigures are put in random sets, for example I can never recall a scene where jango is fighting alongside a corporate allience droid.

I can never recall a scene where poggle the lesser is with dooku when he fights yoda.

Are TLG doing this because they have no other

interesting figures to put in or have they just seen pictures from the movies and so they are mistaking scenes.

thanks

Tariq j

Hi

i feel similar to you. Most present set i have in mind is the Gungan sub. It features maybe one of the outstanding figs, Queen Amidala in her robe. She had never been close to that sub. That is combining a very popular and beatiful fig with an unpopular set.

Dino

Edited by Darth Dino

I see it more positively: what's not to like about a set that includes an movie-wise unfitting character which is at the same time one that probably wouldn't have appeared otherwise :sweet: (or can you imagine a different set including Amidala apart from her Royal Starship which would be impossible to get released due to the expensive nature of chrome parts?) And besides, the characters are not that random cause they at least interact with the characters in other scenes (examples: Dooku and Poggle have multiple discussions on Geonosis, so you can recreate those scenes with that set; the Gungan Sub appears in Theed, right next to the palace if I remember correctly and altough Mace Windu doesn't go to Kashyyyk, he still can be seen next to some CTTs when he meets Yoda for the final time etc.). I can't think of a random character in the true meaning of the word :grin:

I can never recall a scene where jango is fighting alongside a corporate allience droid.

If I remember well there was a scene showing the tank droid besides Jango but they've deleted it eventually.

I'am totally agree with you Lego-Freak, its better to have great figs in unfitting sets, than having an accurate set and may never having that certain figure otherwise.

Yes, the NR-999 Tank Droids were originally to appear in Clones, but they were taken out and brought back for Sith. You can see the concept art for it from that time in The Art of Attack of the Clones. That being said, the scene would've been during the massive ground battle on Geonosis, after Jango had died. So it still would have been a case of 'Sort of close' rather than a minifig really belonging with a vehicle in a set.

I see it more positively: what's not to like about a set that includes an movie-wise unfitting character which is at the same time one that probably wouldn't have appeared otherwise :sweet: (or can you imagine a different set including Amidala apart from her Royal Starship which would be impossible to get released due to the expensive nature of chrome parts?) And besides, the characters are not that random cause they at least interact with the characters in other scenes (examples: Dooku and Poggle have multiple discussions on Geonosis, so you can recreate those scenes with that set; the Gungan Sub appears in Theed, right next to the palace if I remember correctly and altough Mace Windu doesn't go to Kashyyyk, he still can be seen next to some CTTs when he meets Yoda for the final time etc.). I can't think of a random character in the true meaning of the word :grin:

Hi lego freak, having thought about it I think it is nice to get really rare figs.

But what really annoys me is when TLG put really common figs in sets such as the 2010 AT-AT. Lego decided to put in c-3po and han solo. Meaning lego fans have to pay more because of common figures.

It took TLG about five years to realize that han solo and chewbucca and c-3po werre not featured in the battle of hoth then this year they released another battle which was finally accurate.

Anyway, all I'm saying is its nice when you get rare figs but its not good when you get common figures.

thanks

Tariq j

Edited by Tariq j

I think its for kids who want to act their own scenes, like a conversation between Count Dooku and Poggle 'bout evil stuff. Plus, for one point, The Tank Droid makes a little sense, considering kids would want Jango, and Lego being a kid friendly company wouldn't release a set like "Jango's Decapitation" :laugh: But having him with a Tank Droids.. a little odd.. I would've prefered a set such as maybe "Obiwan Vs. Jango" or something.. The Gungan Sub? well for starters YES, its a marketing ploy, but also for kids who wouldn't want a Theed Palace instead of a Gungan Sub.. (I know about the wants of AFOLS but lego markets to kids not adults)

From my point of view, its great that lego are releasing some uncommon or hard to find figures in these smaller sets. I have a very, ver, verrrrry small amount of momey to spend on my OT scollection so it was great to pick up Han, Ackbar, Lando, Boba Fett and a couple of other characters in small, affordable sets

I think that it is not so much about recreating a scene as it is allowing for play storytelling. Remember these are toys not models. As an example while Queen Amidalla never appears with the Bongo sub, the heroes use the sub to travel to meet with her. So while she is not an element of the sub model, she is the goal of the subs play.

I think that it is not so much about recreating a scene as it is allowing for play storytelling. Remember these are toys not models. As an example while Queen Amidalla never appears with the Bongo sub, the heroes use the sub to travel to meet with her. So while she is not an element of the sub model, she is the goal of the subs play.

By such explanations still 10s of sets figure choices are illogical.

Corporate alliance tan droid has nothing to do with Jango Fett at any goal at all :P

By such explanations still 10s of sets figure choices are illogical.

Corporate alliance tan droid has nothing to do with Jango Fett at any goal at all :P

The goal is to run Jango over ofcourse! And so TLG doesn't have to make yet another incarnation of Slave 1 =P. Personally I like that they include "random" figures. Especially when they're in affordable sets like the A-wing and such. Most of the time they're not completely out of context anyway, as pointed out by other people earlier in this thread.

Edited by khatmorg

Another option is TLG has no place to put rare figs such as amidala so they put them into sets that they are closest to.

I also think that Lego are putting rare figs in sets so kids are tempted to buy them, for example if you take the CATD if you remove jango then the

minfigure line for that set is practicaly useless

as both the clone and droid come in other sets.

That said however,Alcarin is definately right about some choices being illogical in my opinion because it is phisically impossible for jango and a clone to be in a set together because by the time the clones come to rescue the Jedi jango is dead. In TLG's defence though it's aimed for

kids so they won't be looking around every

aspect of the set making sure it's exactly movie

accurate. As a big lego star wars fan I do quite like accuracy to the movie as much as possible for the sets, but as I've said before it's aimed for kids.

Thanks

Tariq j

Edited by Tariq j

The goal is to run Jango over ofcourse! And so TLG doesn't have to make yet another incarnation of Slave 1 =P.

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

trust TLG to be lazy! Poor jango!! :ugh:

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

Hi all, has anyone noticed how random minifigures are put in random sets, for example I can never recall a scene where jango is fighting alongside a corporate allience droid.

I can never recall a scene where poggle the lesser is with dooku when he fights yoda.

Are TLG doing this because they have no other

interesting figures to put in or have they just seen pictures from the movies and so they are mistaking scenes.

thanks

Tariq j

I'm looking rather broadly on the issue. The current wave covers a couple of scenes from EP II. So to me what you call "putting random minifigs in random sets" reflects an effort to release figures that are somehow important with regard to the wave as a whole, but will not get the "proper" set any time soon; so Lego has to make a compromise and release them with sets of the current wave they fit best.

Edited by Brickadeer

I suspect the reason they include some characters is because the scene they actually appear in is not worthy of a set. For instance Queen Amidala in the red dress only appears in the beginning scenes of TPM. Unless Lego is going to make a Lego set of the Naboo council discussing war than she wouldn't have been made. Leia in the Y-wing was a similar scenario, creating a set based around the minute long ceremony scene in NH was unlikely, so Lego just threw in the variation. It sweetens the deal on buying that particular set and it satisfy's people's wants for minifigures and variations that are obscure.

Also it involves play value. Adding additional characters not in scene means that you can create other scenes. For instance adding Nute Gunray into the Jedi interceptor set meant that in addition to showing Anakin's arrival on Mustafar and his fight with Obi-Wan you could also create his confrontation with Gunray.

Edited by strangely

As long as the builds themselves are still solid and the figures are new/interesting, I'm all for random figures. I'm hoping Zuckuss and 4-LOM find themselves a random placement soon.

(P.S. anyone who doesn't want any random minifigures can sell to me!)

Edited by Fighter of Frizzies

I suspect the reason they include some characters is because the scene they actually appear in is not worthy of a set. For instance Queen Amidala in the red dress only appears in the beginning scenes of TPM. Unless Lego is going to make a Lego set of the Naboo council discussing war than she wouldn't have been made. Leia in the Y-wing was a similar scenario, creating a set based around the minute long ceremony scene in NH was unlikely, so Lego just threw in the variation. It sweetens the deal on buying that particular set and it satisfy's people's wants for minifigures and variations that are obscure.

hi strangely, I think your point creates an interesting question being "are Lego putting in random minifigures because if they put them into their correct sets then it would be boring?"

for example if queen amidala was put in a set in which she was talking to nute gunray I personally wouldn't buy it.

I completely agree with you. What's wrong with including some more obscure figs? :)

I'd love for TLG to randomly place a new Moff Tarkin somewhere! I think they are kids toys, some kids don't know the difference, as long as they can associate one thing with another they will play with them and not think anything of it.

The set with most randomly minifigs would be 2005 clone turbo tank, with mace, clone jet trooper, and yellow clone commander(bly or cody?).

Really? Even over ceremony dress Leia floating in space beside the Y-wing?

That one makes a bit of sense, since the set is based around the Battle of Yavin, and she was at the ceremony after it.

I've never been really bothered by the random figs in sets thing. If it means we get a new fig that we likely wouldn't get otherwise, I'm happy.

Well talking about random characters there is Jedi Bob from the first LAAT set! Or what about Jek's Starfighter, where every character is a non-canon TLC creation?

Jango appearing with a Tank Droid is not the most random thing TLC has done.