GRogall

Lego Creator Expert 10234 Sydney Opera House

The Australian price isn't as bad as I thought it would be, although it is still pretty bad.

It's now on S@H for $399.99 AUD. (Available 1/9/13)

Using XE it's slightly cheaper than the UK RRP (£249.99 is the UK price)

In Netherland it costs € 20 more than in Germany. Both euro countries. We have 21% VAT, Germany 19%, but that's not the whole difference. Fortunately, while I live in the Netherlands the nearest Lego shop is only one hour driving into Germany.

Same problem for Belgium, and that's not the first time : I bought my Horizon Express in the Lego Shop in north of France for the same reason... but this time only Germany is cheaper, in France they have it at the same price as Belgium & Netherlands. I still do not see why they charge 300 € while in the neighbouring country using the same currency it is 280 €.

Anyway, I do not really care, I do not plan to buy it: too big for display :(

(if I had space, I'd buy it)

Edited by antp

I have never been into the architecture sets, but now... wow!

This may be an alternative to Orthanc. Nicer colours. But it needs so much space. And it goes completely into a different direction than my history interests.

Unless... I throw out all the glass parts and the lampposts, add a bit greenery and make it an ancient elf temple.

I could see this as a sci-fi structure as well. A designer version of say... the shield generators on Hoth.

Or put a few ewok trees around it, a few rebels against AT-STs, why not?

Why would this set make you interested in the architecture sets, when it is a creator set? Personally I think the architecture sets are just to small and over priced.

Edited by Traktor

Why would this set make you interested in the architecture sets, when it is a creator set? Personally I think the architecture sets are just to small and over priced.

I think he meant "sets based on architecture" rather than "sets from the LEGO Architecture theme". In the former sense, this is indeed an "architecture set", in the latter it is not.

Not all of the Architecture sets are overpriced. The Robie House is an excellent value for money. My younger brother has it — $200 for 2276 parts, many of which are very desirable and useful in large quantities. Not a bad-looking display model either. I definitely recommend it.

But this brings up another point — perceived value can play as big a role in a set's price as the number of parts and minifigures. Most sets are designed to meet certain price points, which means there is a certain budget they have to remain within, but it's entirely possible for sets like the smaller LEGO Architecture sets to be priced higher than the budget for the parts if TLG wants to promote them as high-end collector's items rather than just toys. I think this is probably the reason the LEGO Architecture sets are priced as high as they are. I most often see them in bookstores and museum gift shops, where they are shelved among other high-end collector's items rather than with the other kids' toys.

Sometimes you see this working the other way around, in that certain design changes are made to a model to make it seem more "worth its price" to kids even if it has plenty of value without those changes. In the LEGO Hero Factory theme, the sets with a higher price point are typically taller than the ones with a lower price point, even if the set already has plenty more value in extra armor and accessories than the smaller sets. I dislike this change in some instances because the more expensive sets begin to look gangly and don't really need the extra height as far as proportions are concerned. From what I can tell, this change is made because if kids pay more money for a certain set, they expect that set to be bigger than lower-priced sets. Kids aren't necessarily going to compare value in terms of weight or piece count, except those who have the LEGO building instinct and who understand the finer points of what gives a set value.

In the case of the Sydney Opera House, I think it has a perfectly reasonable price-per-piece, even if that results in a quite high price overall. The model's footprint alone (25"x15", or 80 studs by 48 studs) is very substantial, and the size and complexity of the structure built on that footprint is also nothing to sneeze at. If it didn't use those curved slope elements, I think it might be even MORE expensive, considering that a surface sculpted out of bricks and plates might have to be a lot denser than the hinged structure the current model offers.

I guess I better move quick and get the Tower Bridge. I'm sure it won't last long once this hits the store shelves.

Ditto this.

I'm in school for structural engineering, but I really want to do a focus/minor in architectural acoustics.

In other words, this building is my Mecca.

The wife saw me looking at this and knew there was no way I wasn't getting it.

Will this be available for early purchase for LEGO VIP's?

Doesn't seem like it... It's release date is September 1st, and today is August 9th, with barely a whisper on the LEGO site.

Will this be available for early purchase for LEGO VIP's?

Yes, It will be a VIP early release on the 16th with the Ewok Village!

FuzzyBallz - You should move quick on the London Bridge. I believe this is replacing that set. By the end of the year for sure, but I wouldn't hesitate. I recall GRogall stating a few sets were planned to be discontinued this year, especially with these new larger sets coming out.

16th of August? Nice!

It's called Tower Bridge. Yes, it's in London, but London Bridge is a totally separate bridge. Sorry to be a pedant but it's really distracting me!

The current London Bridge was built in the 1970s so although I would enjoy an official set of it, I estimate 99.99% of FOLs would not!

Thanks for correcting. I knew it was called the Tower Bridge, but I called it London Bridge based on the other people's response. Eep! I need to read more carefully in the future.

Well... Since my Tower Bridge is arriving tomorrow, I should probably hold off until the general release then.

(If I value my life, that is.)

Just called the Lego store that's about 2 miles from my house. The guy answering the phone said I could get one on Friday.....VIP release date. They already have it in the storage area but can't sell it until Friday.

I'm tempted - it's a beautiful recreation of an iconic building, but the shelf space required to give it justice means I'll have to rule it out.

You'll look at long enough until, at the end of the day, you'll find the space for it! Maybe not this week, maybe not this month, and maybe even not this year, but you'll find a place. :-)