I wouldn't dream of using clone stuff but it's nice to know that a small amount of 3rd party parts is acceptable.  Thanks.

Hi...Tyndale here (it's been to long),

I've been absent from GOH since about January of this year (maybe some of you remember me),

I left due to the thoughts that I couldn't afford the legos I wanted for my builds. 

So please if anyone can help me, I have these questions.

1. Where can I buy cheap, individual legos for my build.

2. And how can I post my builds here.

Thank you so much.

T

Posted (edited)

@Tyndale No matter what route you take, I consider it unlikely that you can build large, detailed MOCs without investing heavily in a LEGO collection.  Putting that aside, though, small MOCs can be just as nice sometimes as large MOCs and do not require as many pieces.  Build within your limitations and build what you enjoy.  Do not spend too much time comparing your level of building to others, unless to draw inspiration.

For your questions:
1. I recommend BrickLink for buying pieces or sets.  Some pieces are cheap, some are expensive.  Try to limit your purchases to as few stores as possible for the parts you need to lower shipping costs.  It will still not be cheap to buy all the pieces you want, but it can be managed.  You may find yourself spending more than you thought, though, as orders can really add up fast...
You might also consider eBay for bulk lots, but this may not end up cheaper as you will likely have to buy many parts you will not use unless you build in all themes along with the parts for your preferred theme.
...And, of course, never rule out buying sets from TLG (The LEGO Group) and outlet stores, especially when on sale.  For some parts, this is still the cheapest method.

2. Start an account on an image hosting site (I use and recommend Flickr which offers 1 Terabyte of free storage).  You will want to deeplink images to Eurobricks posts so they show as images rather than links.  This is best achieved from Flickr using BBCode.  See this tutorial for uploading images from Flickr:

You will add the BBCode as part of the text in your new topic here on EB (Eurobricks) and it will convert to showing an image.  If you want to see the image rather than the text, you can use the "preview" button at the top of your EB post (magnifying glass over paper).  For topics, this is a toggle switch (like a light switch) that switches between showing rich text and the posted view.

If you have more in-depth questions, I might be able to answer them later when I have more time or you have more specific questions.  Other EB members will hopefully offer their insights and experiences as well.

Edited by Slegengr
Added Rich Text Editor Toggle information

Hi Slegengr,

I rememeber you.

Thanks so much I'll make sure to use it.

T

Also can someone link me to book 1 and 2.

Thanks,

T

And what are the books about exactly?

Lol, sorry for being curious.

T

5 hours ago, Tyndale said:

Also can someone link me to book 1 and 2.

Thanks,

T

And what are the books about exactly?

Lol, sorry for being curious.

T

On the first page of the Guilds is a link: 

The books are essentially the over-arching storyline of the Guilds, which do not really need to affect what you build for your own storyline. In summary, in Book I, an evil wizard named Victor Revolword overthrew the king of Historica after seeking and finding the Elemental Helm that allowed him to control the four elements, in the process unleashing elemental monsters across Historica, before he was finally vanquished and slain; however, a new guild, Varlyrio, an ally of the other four, went rogue (or at least the military did) and joined with the Hand of Corruption and other Nocturnian groups, in the new Black Spire, under the leadership of Lord Raavage. This led into Book II, where each of the four guilds underwent a civil war, first Nocturnus (Spire vs. Resistance), then the other three (Algus vs. Mitgardians, Drow/Plague vs. Avalonians, and Kaliphlin High Council vs. the Desert King). The final chapter of Book II was just completed, and it tied together the four civil wars and resolved them, bringing things into the present (which is still unknown, except that there is a current challenge ("A safe haven"). Book III should be coming sometime in the coming months. 

If you want details of the stories (like the civil wars) you might have to do some digging, as they can be harder to find. 

Hi, Tyndale here,

I just had a question concerning my builds.

As I will soon be joining Mithgardia how do you know what to name your build where it took place.

Like... I see all these town names in multiple MOC's in GoH, but are those real towns and cities from the maps or can you just make it up?

Just to clarify, Thanks.

11 hours ago, Tyndale said:

Hi, Tyndale here,

I just had a question concerning my builds.

As I will soon be joining Mithgardia how do you know what to name your build where it took place.

Like... I see all these town names in multiple MOC's in GoH, but are those real towns and cities from the maps or can you just make it up?

Just to clarify, Thanks.

It depends... some of them are real, on-the-map towns and cities, in which people are wont to build (though some are a bit more proprietary than others and you might want to try to consult the original builders before building something there, just as a basic courtesy). Others are beginning to become real settlements, as a particular builder gradually adds a mill, and a blacksmith, and a watchtower, etc. to move his or her claim into official status. Others are made up just to provide a sense of color and realism to a story. If you are wondering about one particular town that you saw in a recent MOC, ask that builder about it. If you want your own town, though, name it and start building it!