Recommended Posts

I wouldn't dream of using clone stuff but it's nice to know that a small amount of 3rd party parts is acceptable.  Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi...Tyndale here (it's been to long),

I've been absent from GOH since about January of this year (maybe some of you remember me),

I left due to the thoughts that I couldn't afford the legos I wanted for my builds. 

So please if anyone can help me, I have these questions.

1. Where can I buy cheap, individual legos for my build.

2. And how can I post my builds here.

Thank you so much.

T

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

@Tyndale No matter what route you take, I consider it unlikely that you can build large, detailed MOCs without investing heavily in a LEGO collection.  Putting that aside, though, small MOCs can be just as nice sometimes as large MOCs and do not require as many pieces.  Build within your limitations and build what you enjoy.  Do not spend too much time comparing your level of building to others, unless to draw inspiration.

For your questions:
1. I recommend BrickLink for buying pieces or sets.  Some pieces are cheap, some are expensive.  Try to limit your purchases to as few stores as possible for the parts you need to lower shipping costs.  It will still not be cheap to buy all the pieces you want, but it can be managed.  You may find yourself spending more than you thought, though, as orders can really add up fast...
You might also consider eBay for bulk lots, but this may not end up cheaper as you will likely have to buy many parts you will not use unless you build in all themes along with the parts for your preferred theme.
...And, of course, never rule out buying sets from TLG (The LEGO Group) and outlet stores, especially when on sale.  For some parts, this is still the cheapest method.

2. Start an account on an image hosting site (I use and recommend Flickr which offers 1 Terabyte of free storage).  You will want to deeplink images to Eurobricks posts so they show as images rather than links.  This is best achieved from Flickr using BBCode.  See this tutorial for uploading images from Flickr:

You will add the BBCode as part of the text in your new topic here on EB (Eurobricks) and it will convert to showing an image.  If you want to see the image rather than the text, you can use the "preview" button at the top of your EB post (magnifying glass over paper).  For topics, this is a toggle switch (like a light switch) that switches between showing rich text and the posted view.

If you have more in-depth questions, I might be able to answer them later when I have more time or you have more specific questions.  Other EB members will hopefully offer their insights and experiences as well.

Edited by Slegengr
Added Rich Text Editor Toggle information

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Slegengr,

I rememeber you.

Thanks so much I'll make sure to use it.

T

 

Also can someone link me to book 1 and 2.

Thanks,

T

And what are the books about exactly?

Lol, sorry for being curious.

T

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tyndale said:

Also can someone link me to book 1 and 2.

Thanks,

T

And what are the books about exactly?

Lol, sorry for being curious.

T

On the first page of the Guilds is a link: 

The books are essentially the over-arching storyline of the Guilds, which do not really need to affect what you build for your own storyline. In summary, in Book I, an evil wizard named Victor Revolword overthrew the king of Historica after seeking and finding the Elemental Helm that allowed him to control the four elements, in the process unleashing elemental monsters across Historica, before he was finally vanquished and slain; however, a new guild, Varlyrio, an ally of the other four, went rogue (or at least the military did) and joined with the Hand of Corruption and other Nocturnian groups, in the new Black Spire, under the leadership of Lord Raavage. This led into Book II, where each of the four guilds underwent a civil war, first Nocturnus (Spire vs. Resistance), then the other three (Algus vs. Mitgardians, Drow/Plague vs. Avalonians, and Kaliphlin High Council vs. the Desert King). The final chapter of Book II was just completed, and it tied together the four civil wars and resolved them, bringing things into the present (which is still unknown, except that there is a current challenge ("A safe haven"). Book III should be coming sometime in the coming months. 

If you want details of the stories (like the civil wars) you might have to do some digging, as they can be harder to find. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, Tyndale here,

I just had a question concerning my builds.

As I will soon be joining Mithgardia how do you know what to name your build where it took place.

Like... I see all these town names in multiple MOC's in GoH, but are those real towns and cities from the maps or can you just make it up?

Just to clarify, Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Tyndale said:

Hi, Tyndale here,

I just had a question concerning my builds.

As I will soon be joining Mithgardia how do you know what to name your build where it took place.

Like... I see all these town names in multiple MOC's in GoH, but are those real towns and cities from the maps or can you just make it up?

Just to clarify, Thanks.

It depends... some of them are real, on-the-map towns and cities, in which people are wont to build (though some are a bit more proprietary than others and you might want to try to consult the original builders before building something there, just as a basic courtesy). Others are beginning to become real settlements, as a particular builder gradually adds a mill, and a blacksmith, and a watchtower, etc. to move his or her claim into official status. Others are made up just to provide a sense of color and realism to a story. If you are wondering about one particular town that you saw in a recent MOC, ask that builder about it. If you want your own town, though, name it and start building it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi. So, I'm thinking of joining Heroica. I'm already pretty involved in BoBS, but since there's a limit to three property builds a month there, I was looking to join another game. Also, AG is on Hiatus, and I have a month to do my GBW build. 

I will do my homework for this, but is there anything you guys would suggest I know before I really start considering joining? It'd be a while before I did anyways, All my medieval pieces are at home, and I'm at college, so I'd have to do some ordering, or just wait till I'm home next. 

Really, I know nothing about how this works, I haven't read the rules yet, I can't seem to find them. Can someone link them to me, or give me a brief overview? Really I want to know if there's a build limit per month, or weekly point system, or if everything is campaign based. 

Personally, I'd like to be a warrior monk in Avalonia. But, I'm not really sure what I want to do.

Thanks, and sorry to be a noob. :sceptic:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mesabi said:

Hi. So, I'm thinking of joining Heroica. I'm already pretty involved in BoBS, but since there's a limit to three property builds a month there, I was looking to join another game. Also, AG is on Hiatus, and I have a month to do my GBW build. 

I will do my homework for this, but is there anything you guys would suggest I know before I really start considering joining? It'd be a while before I did anyways, All my medieval pieces are at home, and I'm at college, so I'd have to do some ordering, or just wait till I'm home next. 

Really, I know nothing about how this works, I haven't read the rules yet, I can't seem to find them. Can someone link them to me, or give me a brief overview? Really I want to know if there's a build limit per month, or weekly point system, or if everything is campaign based. 

Personally, I'd like to be a warrior monk in Avalonia. But, I'm not really sure what I want to do.

Thanks, and sorry to be a noob. :sceptic:

Hi Mesabi, glad to see you over here! First, this is the Guilds of Historica, which is different from the Heroica game that is also here on Eurobricks, but I assume that was just a simple mistake (since Historica and Heroica sound and look very, very similar...) There are rules, I guess, to the Guilds, loosely put, which are found in this thread, which is the start of this very thread that we are posting in, and the back story is found here. There are no limits or requirements to what you can or must build, at all. This is a very laid back role-building game, where you build what you want when you want, setting things where you want. If you really want to be an Avalonian warrior monk, join Avalonia here by posting a sigfig and some sort of background for the sigfig (it need not be complicated), and start building your story! If you want to be something else, from somewhere else, be that, and post your sigfig and story in that guild's thread. (Avalonia is the best, though, but I might be biased). The only rules are basically don't tread on other people's toes, or the official lore's toes, by claiming that global, world-altering things happened that didn't, or dragging other builders' sigfigs into your own story events without permission, or by claiming to be the best/strongest/smartest/most powerful/skilled/gifted _______________ in all of Historica. We all build our own stories, with semi-frequent collaborations and cross-overs, in a shared world with a collectively developed history. There are not mission objectives, or monthly/weekly build scores, or points (mostly, except that there are, in a vague, undefined way that you really just should not worry about, since I have no idea myself how they work and I've been building here for over a year), or ongoing battles (unless, I suppose, all your sigfig does in your story is fight). There are challenges from time to time and there are guild-specific world-building projects (like the Age of Mitgardia), but mostly it is about building cool medieval fantasy stuff in a shared world, getting feedback from amazing builders. 

And if you ever have questions, ask them here or in your chosen guild's thread, and people will gladly help. We like noobs, and do not bite (except @Lord Vladivus, but he's half-vampire, so...). 

So pick a guild, start building, and start interacting with other builder's builds, too. Welcome to the Guilds of Historica!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Mesabi @Henjin_Quilones Well, I couldn't have phrased that better. Some people are mainly in for the (big) architecture, which can be themed to any guild to place it in a larger context, but no real story attached. On the other side of the spectrum are the people that create (small) scenes focused mainly on characters and accompanied by extensive stories. Either (or anything in between) is fine, have fun!*

 

*Nocties have more fun than others! :devil_laugh: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wanted to let you guys know, as a thanks to the LEGO community for all their support and to help promote brickly, I’m doing a giveaway raffle with this model:

overview-1.jpg

If you haven’t heard of it before, brickly is a new app for sharing your original LEGO creations and seeing others’ models. It is currently only available for iOS devices, but they have plans to expand to Android and a web platform as well. It is still just getting started, but I think it could become a very useful asset for the LEGO online community.

To be entered in the giveaway, just go make a new account at brickly. And then send me your username (via PM, email, flickrmail, etc.) or if you already have an account, just make a comment on any of my builds on brickly. The giveaway is open through October 10th, and then I will randomly select a winner and ship them this MOC :classic:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone returning to Legos and not having posted here in 5 years (with only 34 posts does this make me a new member or a returning member :P) I would still like to finally participate in these fun story teller building exercises.

But I would like to actually contribute to the story being told rather than just randomly building if possible. I am wondering where I can find a niche that I can fit in.

Of course I can just build no matter what, but if someone either has a recommendation or just provide a brief summary of the current plot line so I can try to find a thread to work off of that'd be great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 30-9-2017 at 7:29 AM, Stormblessed said:

As someone returning to Legos and not having posted here in 5 years (with only 34 posts does this make me a new member or a returning member :P) I would still like to finally participate in these fun story teller building exercises.

But I would like to actually contribute to the story being told rather than just randomly building if possible. I am wondering where I can find a niche that I can fit in.

Of course I can just build no matter what, but if someone either has a recommendation or just provide a brief summary of the current plot line so I can try to find a thread to work off of that'd be great.

Welcome back, Stormblessed! :classic: I am not sure how familiar you are with the Guilds, but this how the overarching plot line has proceeded in the meantime: 

  • A period of relative piece in Historica. With the High King (of all Historica) gone, the Guilds are the highest bodies of rulership. 
  • Nocturnus has a civil war, which is won by the Black Spire under the lead of Lord Raavage. The Resistance however remains ever-present, mainly in the north of Nocturnus.
  • Kaliphlin has a civil war. The Desert King, an undead pharaoh, and his army of mummies take over Kaliphlin. The High Council of Kaliphlin is forced into the shadows.
  • Mitgardia is invaded by frost creatures, the Algus, from the far north (Frozen Beyond). Unable to hold them back and defeat them completely, these creature penetrate to the other Guilds's territories. Eventually, the Algus are defeated on all fronts, but they still remain untouched in the Frozen Beyond.
  • A period of relative piece, once more.
  • Tensions in Nocturnus reach a critical point: Ravaage is about to defeat the Resistance once and for all. The Desert King High Council, the Algus and the Black Spire have joined forces and Ravaage is preparing to conquer more than Nocturnus alone.
  • The true heir to the throne of Historica is found in Avalonia, which makes heavens and earth move and unites all forces of Historica in a war against Ravaage and his allies.
  • Ravaage is defeated (not sure if this is 100% canon yet).

You can read in more detail about the overarching plot on the first pages of this thread, as well as on each Guild's thread. Main storyline aside, there are many interesting personal sagas to read up upon, which contribute a lot to the total amount of lore-building of Historica. Don't hesitate to ask questions! :classic:

 

Anyone, please correct me if I made a mistake somewhere, I haven't read all the lore. :wink:

EDIT: corrected mistake (see red)

Edited by Exetrius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Exetrius said:

The Desert King, the Algus and the Black Spire have joined forces and Ravaage is preparing to conquer more than Nocturnus alone.

The DK fought against the Spire, actually, and it was fringe elements of the High Council/Ulandus (a.k.a. those who hated the DK enough to side with anyone who would fight him) that supported the Spire. Beyond that, what you said looks mostly correct. Avalonia had a few battles with the drow and also dealt with a plague somewhere in there, too. 

 

Welcome, Stormblessed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Henjin_Quilones said:

The DK fought against the Spire, actually, and it was fringe elements of the High Council/Ulandus (a.k.a. those who hated the DK enough to side with anyone who would fight him) that supported the Spire. Beyond that, what you said looks mostly correct. Avalonia had a few battles with the drow and also dealt with a plague somewhere in there, too. 

I believe I've made the same mistake with the DK in an earlier comment, I'll try to remember it this time... :facepalm: :grin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Exetrius said:

I believe I've made the same mistake with the DK in an earlier comment, I'll try to remember it this time... :facepalm: :grin:

No worries...I've seen Kaliphlinites do the same!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The one thing I remember from before my dark age was an elemental attack of some kind.

My problem is I have so many minifigs (though probably a lot less than some), but they are in so many flavors throughout all of Lego history that it makes it hard to choose which type to focus on first.

Right now I'm just tinkering on building a small piece focusing on an orc peasant. So I guess I should join nocturnus if I do go with orcish peasant route?

Edited by Stormblessed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Henjin_Quilones: you're doing an excellent job of explaining the guilds, buddy! Maybe leave some questions to me next time, because I feel quite useless now :grin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Stormblessed said:

The one thing I remember from before my dark age was an elemental attack of some kind.

My problem is I have so many minifigs (though probably a lot less than some), but they are in so many flavors throughout all of Lego history that it makes it hard to choose which type to focus on first.

Right now I'm just tinkering on building a small piece focusing on an orc peasant. So I guess I should join nocturnus if I do go with orcish peasant route?

Agreed, orcs are best fitting in Nocturnus. Maybe a peasant is not the perfect setup for storytelling, as usually peasants don't go on all kinds of adventures. That doesn't really matter if you plan on building a lot in the same area, though. There are so many types of characters you could go for, think of: travelling merchant, soldier, leader of a band of thieves, rogue, wizard, mercenary, nobleman, dragon trainer, escapee, etc. Chose whichever excites you most, for the purpose of your story, builds and guild. :classic: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Stormblessed said:

The one thing I remember from before my dark age was an elemental attack of some kind.

My problem is I have so many minifigs (though probably a lot less than some), but they are in so many flavors throughout all of Lego history that it makes it hard to choose which type to focus on first.

Right now I'm just tinkering on building a small piece focusing on an orc peasant. So I guess I should join nocturnus if I do go with orcish peasant route?

As Exetrius rightly said, prcs are most frequently seen in the Darklands. Nocturnus also has the most varied population, which would fit your collection of minifigs it seems. 

But if you want to join the coolest guild, come and join Avalonia! (sorry guys, just had to say that)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TitusV said:

But if you want to join the coolest guild, come and join Avalonia! (sorry guys, just had to say that)

Do not apoligise for the truth! Up Avalonia :laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, The Maestro said:

Do not apoligise for the truth! Up Avalonia :laugh:

That's what I want to here! Raise high these sand green banners!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Stormblessed said:

The one thing I remember from before my dark age was an elemental attack of some kind.

My problem is I have so many minifigs (though probably a lot less than some), but they are in so many flavors throughout all of Lego history that it makes it hard to choose which type to focus on first.

Right now I'm just tinkering on building a small piece focusing on an orc peasant. So I guess I should join nocturnus if I do go with orcish peasant route?

The elemental attacks were part of the Revolword saga, which was wrapped up at the end of Book I (the full story of which can be found here), and Book II (which was summarized by Exetrius above) has finished, though with a still-inconclusive ending as we wait for announcements, so really you have come back at the perfect time to A. participate in the 5th Anniversary Challenge (there's still a month left, especially for your minifig collection and part B of the challenge) and B. pick things up again in Book III when some things start again fresh. 

I'd pick whichever race/figure type appeals to you most as someone to represent you in the Guilds. I personally picked a light-skinned, scruffy-looking, brown-haired sigfig with epic sword skills, since most of that describes me (three truths and a lie?) and I felt comfortable building a story around that, but everyone picked their sigfig for their own reasons (cool armor combos, neat hair, fun names, dark tendencies, who knows?). And your fig can fly solo, have a crew that is mostly homogeneous, or have a band of misfits from all walks of life in Historica, so there is no reason to leave out any of your collection of cool minifigures. 

And if you want an orc peasant, perhaps Nocty is best for you, it being the haven of all things orcish, but it is worth pointing out, I think, that orcs live all across Historica, and after all of the civil wars it would be natural for one to want to find a quiet place to settle down off the beaten path; and then a remote farming valley in Mitgardia, or a quiet hamlet in Avalonia, or a solitary oasis in Kaliphlin would seem just as good. The term "peasant" probably belongs best in eastern Avalonia, with the system of feudal lords and the typically "European medieval" vibe they have there, in fact. However, you could be the builder that shines more light on the complexities of orcish civilization in Nocturnus, showing us all that they really are just simple people just trying to make a living rather than the bloodthirsty brutes they are made out to be in most of the stories...

 

(But as Titus and The Maestro said: Go Avalonia!)

Edited by Henjin_Quilones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

The elemental attacks were part of the Revolword saga, which was wrapped up at the end of Book I (the full story of which can be found here), and Book II (which was summarized by Exetrius above) has finished, though with a still-inconclusive ending as we wait for announcements, so really you have come back at the perfect time to A. participate in the 5th Anniversary Challenge (there's still a month left, especially for your minifig collection and part B of the challenge) and B. pick things up again in Book III when some things start again fresh. 

I'd pick whichever race/figure type appeals to you most as someone to represent you in the Guilds. I personally picked a light-skinned, scruffy-looking, brown-haired sigfig with epic sword skills, since most of that describes me (three truths and a lie?) and I felt comfortable building a story around that, but everyone picked their sigfig for their own reasons (cool armor combos, neat hair, fun names, dark tendencies, who knows?). And your fig can fly solo, have a crew that is mostly homogeneous, or have a band of misfits from all walks of life in Historica, so there is no reason to leave out any of your collection of cool minifigures. 

And if you want an orc peasant, perhaps Nocty is best for you, it being the haven of all things orcish, but it is worth pointing out, I think, that orcs live all across Historica, and after all of the civil wars it would be natural for one to want to find a quiet place to settle down off the beaten path; and then a remote farming valley in Mitgardia, or a quiet hamlet in Avalonia, or a solitary oasis in Kaliphlin would seem just as good. The term "peasant" probably belongs best in eastern Avalonia, with the system of feudal lords and the typically "European medieval" vibe they have there, in fact. However, you could be the builder that shines more light on the complexities of orcish civilization in Nocturnus, showing us all that they really are just simple people just trying to make a living rather than the bloodthirsty brutes they are made out to be in most of the stories...

 

(But as Titus and The Maestro said: Go Avalonia!)

Completely seconded, especially the last sentence. Again, good job HQ! :thumbup: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.