My personal recommendation would be to create your own fiefdom where you get to decide how everything is, thus allowing s lot of creative freedom. Claiming the land doesn't mean your character rules that area. You can still write your main character as whatever role you choose, and can also make and MOC all the other characters that fit within the fiefdom, including the leader should you choose, but they will not be your main character, or SigFig.

Hey!

I'm new here, and still amazed, what did i missed, after all this years! But I'm not yet decided which guild should i choose. The main reason is the colours. Got a nice little army of my own, a nice background story about them ( or just my, who hinks its good). But their colours don't match with Avalonias colours. Must I use the two green, as their colours, or is there a way, i can use my own colours, or just pick another guild?

I don't think you have to use both colours as I have absoulutly no sand green so I either avoid having to use it alot or just not using it at all. I know alot of people don't have all the colours so don't sweat it.

Edited by The Maestro

My personal recommendation would be to create your own fiefdom where you get to decide how everything is, thus allowing s lot of creative freedom. Claiming the land doesn't mean your character rules that area. You can still write your main character as whatever role you choose, and can also make and MOC all the other characters that fit within the fiefdom, including the leader should you choose, but they will not be your main character, or SigFig.

True. My sigfig doesn't rule the land I claimed; he is a Human wanderer in an Elvish land. So I would take a bit of land, declare that there is a forest there, and have your character do whatever you want him/her to do, since you make the rules in your land (within reasonable limits, of course). Or, alternatively, you can join a different guild and come to Avalonia on a visit, but I wouldn't recommend that, being Avalonian...

Hey!

I'm new here, and still amazed, what did i missed, after all this years! But I'm not yet decided which guild should i choose. The main reason is the colours. Got a nice little army of my own, a nice background story about them ( or just my, who hinks its good). But their colours don't match with Avalonias colours. Must I use the two green, as their colours, or is there a way, i can use my own colours, or just pick another guild?

Welcome to the Guilds! I would not let the color of the flag be the sole deciding factor. Ask instead where you would feel most comfortable building, or where you would derive the most pleasure from building, or where you would confront and meet and overcome the greatest challenges building. I do not have any sand green flags myself (but I do have a bunch of the dark green ones from LotR sets). I do have red and blue, and red and gold, and yellow and green, however, yet I still chose Avalonia as my guild. As for the army, they do not have to match Avalonia's colors to be from Avalonia, since your personal fiefdom's heraldic colors can be whatever you want; just make sure that they answer the call when the high king summons them to war!

Edited by Henjin_Quilones

We Kaliphlin don't claim plots of land for ourselves, but I created an entire culture. The sigfig I chose was the personal guard to the Minister of External Affairs, not even the guard of the High Minister. Now he has left the service to go on a holy quest. I created a number of other characters I routinely use, and not all of them are Kaliphlin.

Hey!

No, its not entirely necessary, just one of the green colour in the flag would be fine, at least at the start. Flags in those colours are pretty inexpensive at places like Brick Link, so it might be worth your while doing an order from there.

Definitely don't feel constrained by the color flags you own, you can always use 'flags' or banners you make with other parts :classic:

Hey!

Welcome!

Don't worry about the flag, I've been in Avalonia for a year and only my latest build features the official colours (with thanks to LegoStone, btw)!

About claiming land in Avalonia: While it is customary, it is hardly a requirement. Only your imagination sets the limits.

You can:

- Claim the land, but just be an inhabitant. This is good if you want to build up an area.

- Claim the land and be the lord.

- Not claim any land, but ask someone else to build a village or small stronghold,in their territory.

- Travel all around Avalonia, building in different builders' territories (after agreeing with the relevant builder). A natural place to start might be Albion, the capital.

- Travel around Avalonia in less specified locations. If you are mainly interested in small vignettes, or landscapes, and creating a story, this might be the way to go.

Or of course, any combination of the above. (And you can travel outside Avalonia too, of course)

In any case, the real fun begins when we start interweaving our stories! Just make sure to agree with the relevant builder if you do something on their land. :)

As to colours and heraldry, the greens are the Avalonian colours, but any local lord or knight can have his own heraldry. (Some nod to Avalonian colours from time to time is advisable. I personally often include sand and dark green in the official buildings of the Trifork as brickbuilt flags. I have no sandgreen flags myself!)

One more question from me, at least for now... :wink:

I can choose an empty place from the map, and I name it. OR must i do... or kill some one for it?

And about the tasks, and challenges. Simply I start a new topic, like: "task 2 and 7" and link this to my guilds topic?

One more question from me, at least for now... :wink:

I can choose an empty place from the map, and I name it. OR must i do... or kill some one for it?

And about the tasks, and challenges. Simply I start a new topic, like: "task 2 and 7" and link this to my guilds topic?

No killing of other builders' characters is allowed...

In Avalonia, find the most current version of the map and pick a free space on it. In other guilds they do not claim land as their own. Last I recall I updated the map unofficially about a month ago, so it should be in the Avalonian thread around that time.

And yes, you are correct about posting. Just create your new thread/topic, with the appropriate title. Most people post a link to it in their guild for others to see it, too.

No killing of other builders' characters is allowed...

Oh.. Sorry my bad.. You know... Bad habits... Anyway thanks lad.

Oh.. Sorry my bad.. You know... Bad habits... Anyway thanks lad.

Oh hello there! People with bad habits are always welcome in Nocturnus! :devil_laugh:

all right, thanks everyone for the info!

speaking of heraldry, I do have a couple of doubts:

1 - is it like in LoR where you always have to show the banner of your guild in every MOC [even if a banner is totally out of place..]?

2 - do I have to pay attention to the heraldry on lego shields? Say, for example, that my character kills off a random guy he meets who wields a Black Falcon shield - will this provoke the rage of half of Mitgardia?

thanks in advance :classic:

Edited by en_zoo

@en_zoo: Displaying guild colors is encouraged, but not necessary by any means. I don't use the Mitgardian flag in a lot of my builds, as you said, sometimes it just doesn't fit.

Heraldry is pretty flexible, most factions are represented in numerous guilds. The 2 that are most associated with a specific guild, are the green dragon shields from the Kingdoms line (Avalonia), and the red lion shields also from Kingdoms (Kaliphlin).

all right, thanks everyone for the info!

speaking of heraldry, I do have a couple of doubts:

1 - is it like in LoR where you always have to show the banner of your guild in every MOC [even if a banner is totally out of place..]?

2 - do I have to pay attention to the heraldry on lego shields? Say, for example, that my character kills off a random guy he meets who wields a Black Falcon shield - will this provoke the rage of half of Mitgardia?

thanks in advance :classic:

To expand on SK6's answer to question 2, you wouldn't provoke the rage of the guild who's shield it was if you explained that the shield was stolen by a bandit / thief, so it was the thief and not an innocent member of their guild that you had attacked. :wink:

The black falcon shield is also often used by members of Kaliphlin, particularly Gabe, who uses it as the emblem for his island of Perigrinus. I also use the black Knights dragon shield for an employ for my character.

As SK and BC have said, I think you're pretty much free to choose heraldry, and due to limited options most signs appear multiple times.

But beware, Avalonians are very sensitive when it comes to their honour :wink:

I am looking for a bit of advice here.

I am a teacher, and one of my fellow teachers recently retired, leaving behind a bunch of old student projects on the shelves. One of those projects was a temple built out of Lego bricks, and I was able to 'save' it before it was thrown away with the rest, netting myself nearly 1500 pieces for free, including some great 2x2x11 columns in tan, some of those lion-head pediments common around Kaliphlin parts, and a whole slew of 8x16 bricks. So far, so good. The problem is that the temple was sitting assembled in a window of the old teacher's classroom for a while, and some of the bricks suffered some discoloration as a result.

Now, I am not one to look a gift brick in the mouth, and they will be used either way, but it would be nice if they were not sun-stained. Does anyone know if that is permanent, or is there a way to reverse it? Thanks!

I am looking for a bit of advice here.

-snip-

Now, I am not one to look a gift brick in the mouth, and they will be used either way, but it would be nice if they were not sun-stained. Does anyone know if that is permanent, or is there a way to reverse it? Thanks!

Jang has a very helpful video on this:

Enjoy your new pieces! :wink:

newbie's questions:

1 - how do I put a 'spoiler' in my posts? I can't find the proper button.. :sceptic:

2 - I've seen that people post pics of different dimensions to accompany their stories: how do I do that? Is it done through the options you have on Flickr? If so, how exactly? Also, is there a limit for said dimensions? [when posting my character's small presentation build, I remember getting something like 'this type of pic is not allowed on this forum' or something like that..]

thanks in advance ^^

newbie's questions:

1 - how do I put a 'spoiler' in my posts? I can't find the proper button.. :sceptic:

2 - I've seen that people post pics of different dimensions to accompany their stories: how do I do that? Is it done through the options you have on Flickr? If so, how exactly? Also, is there a limit for said dimensions? [when posting my character's small presentation build, I remember getting something like 'this type of pic is not allowed on this forum' or something like that..]

thanks in advance ^^

use 
[spoiler] and end with [/spoiler]

2. It is an option on flickr

I'm not sure about the first, as I have never done it, but as to the second:

29638869456_b30e5123b8_o.png

Go to the curvy arrow thingy and click on it, and then when this screen comes up

29638869446_735cc3e24b.jpg

choose the size that you want. Just do not choose a size larger than 800x600, per Eurobricks site rules.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Henjin_Quilones

For the Flickr BBCode use, I recommend either adding a line break or deleting everything after [/img][/url] to neaten up your posts.

For the Flickr BBCode use, I recommend either adding a line break or deleting everything after [/img][/url] to neaten up your posts.

Definitely. It looks a little sloppy otherwise.