18 hours ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

You are welcome to build in any guild, and you are free to create characters anywhere you want.  Does that clarify? 

Thanks it does clarify. I have a few build that are complete from the past few months i just havent got around to photographing yet. And one or two are not "Avalonian" but its great to hear they will count for points.

Not sure where else this should go, but I wanted to share pics of some of the pieces I bought recently off B&P.  It's been helpful for me to see the pics that others post of their B&P hauls on the Licensed forums to help me find bricks that I didn't know existed or that I could buy essentially in bulk in the colors I desired, so I wanted to post here in the hopes it would help others. Since I'm not lucky enough to be in proximity to any LUGs or even Lego stores, I find that I'd rather spend a little more per brick and buy exactly what I want rather than buying an entire set, especially since there aren't any castle sets out there anymore.  Thus, I get pieces that I find useful for the medieval setting without a lot of extra.  You can obviously see the bent toward Avalonian colors here.  The scarecrow torso from the latest mini lineup is available and I think works well for a lot of peasants, and that spiderman clay torso base is awesome for an earth elemental.  You can even buy hands alone (sorry, no fleshie hands available yet HQ, although there are 4 fleshie heads available including Legolas).  Some of the shirtless male torsos as well.  I also picked up a few random things that I enjoyed like the pig from the chinese sets (if you want these, you can just about part out a set on B&P), the union jack torso, and some other assorted stuff (like the white lamp posts for modulars that are outlandishly expensive on Bricklink right now and cheap from TLG).  The dragon sword hilts are awesome for decorations as are the quastes.  Some of the printed parts are expensive, so I avoid buying quantities of those, but the basic parts are pretty cheap overall.  Make sure to add even just a single brick from the Pick and Brick portion of the website and you'll get free shipping (this makes no logistical sense but whatever).

xGxirrr.jpg

5sX5tzE.jpg

Edited by Grover

3 hours ago, Grover said:

Not sure where else this should go, but I wanted to share pics of some of the pieces I bought recently off B&P.

Nice haul! I've been buying more from B&P than sets for a while now and I certainly agree with your points. In case you (or others) haven't found the threads:

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/118184-lego-licensed-parts-available-from-bricks-pieces/ (nevermind the 'licensed' part in the title, it's about all things B&P now)

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/118572-latest-impact-of-other-themes-on-historic-themes/ (to keep up with all the latest historic/castle/fantasy pieces)

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1M_96uXz2768je5O0bh65LS7osa-oYx9l (Jonas Kramm's monthly update on available B&P parts, via New Elementary)

:classic:

The scarecrow torso?  How'd you get that?  I thought they didn't carry CMF parts! :look:

Nice haul anyhow.  They were out of the log suit when I ordered but I got a bunch of those stalks with three leaves and quarter tiles in lots of different colors.  Got a couple spiders and lobsters and a ton of sea gulls! :grin:

8 hours ago, Grover said:

Make sure to add even just a single brick from the Pick and Brick portion of the website and you'll get free shipping (this makes no logistical sense but whatever).

So is that why I got free shipping?  I was pretty confused by that.  Makes no sense for sure but good to know. :laugh:

Generally, they don't carry CMF or licensed parts.  However, some pieces do go through sometimes for whatever reason.  Most of the wizard of oz are available right now (although I really only wanted the scarecrow torso).  A lot of the steamboat willy parts are on there too.  The three leaf plant is only available via the giraffe and Neville, both CMFs, as far as I know, but you can buy them.  I'd love to get it in black as in the new CMF line, but I doubt they will offer it in that.  The green will probably find its way into sets eventually.  Many of those torsos are from the Flinstones, which are licensed, too.  Hair, faces, etc. are available if you want them.  The blonde hair is unique to aquaman in that color too as far as I can tell. 

If any of the items are out of stock, place your online order, then call a rep and they will add it.  You just wait until all the parts are in to ship, so it takes a little longer.  The dragon sword hilt and the 1x1 double LBG tiles I got that way this time.  And yeah, free shipping on orders over $35, but that does not apply to B&P.  However, if you order PAB or a set, it does apply and the total just has to be more than $35, so if you're only getting B&P, it's worth getting 1 brick from PAB or whatever you want.

Edited by Grover

43 minutes ago, Grover said:

If any of the items are out of stock, place your online order, then call a rep and they will add it.  You just wait until all the parts are in to ship, so it takes a little longer. 

Oh that's cool.  There were lots of neat pieces I would have liked that were out of stock last time.  Of course, it may have been a good thing, I hate to think what the total would have been otherwise... :tongue:

On 6/14/2013 at 4:05 PM, SkaForHire said:

Some people here have a shield tag with the colors of their guild. What do you have to do to get such a tag?

Those builders participated in Book I challenges. We are currently in Book II, but those who participate in these challenges should also have a chance to earn a special shield.

Book III now, right? 

1 hour ago, Rockstaremcee said:

Book III now, right? 

Correct.

Many of you have likely already seen this on flickr, but the Summer Joust has started again!

47975899867_b92abdce89_z.jpg

There are 6 categories and 17 prizes. Anyone is welcome to enter, and so long as you didn't post the build before June 1st you can use your GoH models as entries when they fit a category :dsweet:
Full details in the flickr group.

21 minutes ago, soccerkid6 said:

Correct.

Many of you have likely already seen this on flickr, but the Summer Joust has started again!

47975899867_b92abdce89_z.jpg

There are 6 categories and 17 prizes. Anyone is welcome to enter, and so long as you didn't post the build before June 1st you can use your GoH models as entries when they fit a category :dsweet:
Full details in the flickr group.

Pretty happy you guys added the middle east as a category! :laugh:

As a PSA, I wanted to let people know, especially those of you who didn't get a chance to get some of these in the first place, that the brown horses with white muzzles are now available on Bricks and Pieces ($4.51 ea. USD, new on bricklink for ~$9).  Element # 6022359.  The chickens are also available, but they are $1.87 each and are about $0.70 USD on Bricklink, so not really worth it.  Both are available I believe due to the Bricklink Lowenstein castle.

Additionally, the dark green tower roof from the Batman Juniors Arkham Asylum, element 6266730 is also available, as are the dark blue (6272134) and dark brown (6272141) limb elements from the Stranger Things set.  There are a couple of medieval related items there, too, including the purple wizard hat (6275518).

19 hours ago, Grover said:

As a PSA, I wanted to let people know, especially those of you who didn't get a chance to get some of these in the first place, [...]  There are a couple of medieval related items there, too, including the purple wizard hat (6275518).

Personally I don't think that GoH is the place to share this, even if it is a nice gesture. Any one of us is able to navigate the forum and visit other topics, so those of us who are interested in B&P, or anything useful for castle and medieval fantasy, might as well discuss this in the topics that have been created for discussing that:

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/118184-lego-licensed-parts-available-from-bricks-pieces/ For anything B&P related.

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/118572-latest-impact-of-other-themes-on-historic-themes/ For any new castle/medieval & fantasy pieces.

Edited by Exetrius

6 minutes ago, Exetrius said:

Personally I don't think that GoH is the place to share this, even if it is a nice gesture. Any one of us is able to navigate the forum and visit other topics, so those of us who are interested in B&P, or anything useful for castle and medieval fantasy, might as well discuss this in the topics that have been created for discussing that:

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/118184-lego-licensed-parts-available-from-bricks-pieces/ For anything B&P related.

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/118572-latest-impact-of-other-themes-on-historic-themes/ For any new castle/medieval & fantasy pieces.

Perhaps no one here is interested, although you and KaiNRG were the last time, and I wanted to share the pieces related to GoH here if there are people like me that rarely read outside this forum.  However, I will no longer post any non-GoH material here.

23 hours ago, Grover said:

Perhaps no one here is interested, although you and KaiNRG were the last time, and I wanted to share the pieces related to GoH here if there are people like me that rarely read outside this forum.  However, I will no longer post any non-GoH material here.

Personally I'd consider that since GoH is kind of its own subcommunity, we can have discussions among ourselves that would be of a considerably different character if we took them outside of the subforum to a dedicated thread; and it's not like this thread is one piece of consistent on topic discussion (what's on topic discussion in a new member guide anyways?), so if we want to discuss pieces here why not?  If Kaliphlinians wanted to discuss pieces in their thread there wouldn't be any issues right? or if a couple builders asked me on one of my build threads about pieces and we got into a discussion that'd be fine so what's special about this thread?

Case in point, I didn't know horses are available on B&P and sure, I may have discovered this some other way in days to come or maybe not (on the principle of lead me not into temptation I don't follow all the B&P developments :laugh: - which is not perhaps a cause for thanking Grover for bringing them to my attention but we all know the  inconsistency of the human heart right?) but the fact does interest me.

Now we could make a case for the new member guide not being the best place for general discussion among the GoH community but that's what it's become (I think in previous books there was a dedicated general discussion thread).

So I'm not sure we should shut Grover up on this topic, :wink: if no one is interested and no one responds he'll get the point and stop posting B&P updates soon enough but if some of us are interested, why not let it keep going?  And I'm sure Exetrius wasn't trying to be rude or anything but don't forget the importance of small talk for any community and for LEGO builders isn't small talk about bricks and pieces?  Pun totally intended. :grin:

I agree very much that GoH is its own community.  There are a bunch of people nearly unique to this sub forum that I rarely see elsewhere (and vice versa).  There are unwritten rules here, too, about only posting MOCs in their own posts and not creating new topics here.  This New Members guide also doubles as a general discussion, which is a little odd.  Perhaps the time has come for one of the mods to create a general discussion sticky here?  As much as I don’t want to clog up the first page with more stickies, I think such a topic could be quite useful.

I won't go into detail here for fear of reprisal, but since these pieces are relevant to GoH fans, for those of you that live in the US, GoH-relevant pics of the BAM kiosk in Oklahoma City, and PAB walls across the US from my most recent trip.  The 1x2 light bley masonry bricks were amazing.  I bought a gallon.  The new shield in the BAM kiosk is pretty sweet, too.

I am really glad that I am not that into Star Wars.  That new ISD set is crazy pricey.  If they ever released a UCS castle set, however...

2 hours ago, Grover said:

I am really glad that I am not that into Star Wars.  That new ISD set is crazy pricey.  If they ever released a UCS castle set, however...

No kidding!  However, I'd try to make the ISD into a castle if someone would gift it to me. :tongue:

A while ago I volunteered to do a writing guide to help anyone trying to improve their story writing for GoH.  Finally finished writing that, hope it's helpful!

How does one earn one of the cool guild shield badges?  Do you get one for building a qualifying HSS in that region or something?  I think it would be cool to be able to earn an Avalonian badge.

52 minutes ago, Grover said:

How does one earn one of the cool guild shield badges?  Do you get one for building a qualifying HSS in that region or something?  I think it would be cool to be able to earn an Avalonian badge.

The halved shields with guild colors were for participation in Book I. 

Ah!  Gotcha!  We should think of something interesting for having an HSS settlement in a region, like a small castle with relevant flag colors or something...

While doodling some minifigs yesterday, I realised how little I know about our Queen. I saw on @Henjin_Quilones and @Grover's MOCs that she has freckles and dark red hair, but are there other rules to follow if one wants to depict her? Are there "official" colors for royal garb? Or, on contrary, colors or patterns that would not be suitable for her? What does her banner look like?

Sorry if this is clearly stated somewhere, I searched but did not find…:sceptic:

@Henjin_Quilones invented the queen in this winning challenge entry I believe, in two forms:

She has since been seen in my recent challenge entry and in the prelude to challenge II in the same configuration (different than her introduction), and in HQ's prior post here in a slightly different form.  HQ may have some other depictions of her that I have missed, but since it is his creation, I'd defer specific questions to him.

The banner, as far as I know, is that of the historica armored unicorn itself, which is shown in a lot of people's creations (the shields in @Etzel's recent challenge IV creation comes to mind), and shown on the walls in the prelude to challenge II link above (third pic).  I'm not entirely sure, but I'm going off the idea that the royal colors are dark red and white.  I don' think this has been clearly stated, so this is probably a good time to do so, but I would defer to the long-time Historicans on the boards and HQ to figure out how they want to proceed.

Edited by Grover

@Aurore  This thread from way back has some Cedrican figs and banners and whatnot.  Dark red banners, plumes, capes, etc., Greek/Roman style helmets/armor, and chrome weapons are what I think we've seen most often to represent the Crown's guards/soldiers.